2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

"Old Man's" Shoes?

I recall someone mentioning in another thread that saddles or wingtips are "old man's" shoes. What's so bad about saddles or wingtips? To me they look far better than bicycle toes, K-Swiss style or George Jetson shoes. I started playing golf in 1990 and nearly everybody's golf shoes were either saddles or wingtips. Maybe I am conservative and stuck in the '90's, but today's shoes designs simply don't look as good or classy like a nice pair of FootJoy Classics. Today's young golfers may want to consider a nice pair of saddles instead of the Adizero, as the former is a more elegant look instead of the "cool" look from the latter.

Aside from saddles or wingtips, what are other examples of "old man's" shoes? For me, the only thing that may qualify as "old man's" shoes are the ones with kilties, as you never see then anymore on the course. Saddles and wingtips I don't see as often as I did twenty years ago, but I thought until now that you can never go wrong with a nice pair of them.

What are your thoughts on what qualifies as "old man's" shoes?

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You never can tell can you? Just like cars. The cars that manufactures figured kids would drive are all being driven by older folks. The Kia Hamster car, Scion XB, Honda Element er, Elderment are just examples. The old guys I golf with wear Adidas Adi Zeros, Sketchers, or Callaways that look like tennis shoes. The kids wear saddles, or at least a middle of the road athletic looking golf shoe. The only older guys I see wearing wingtips these days also have perfectly pleated pants and staff bags, but they're in a league of their own...

Saddle oxfords are old man shoes. All the old men who grew up with golf in the 60s, 70s, 80s and early 90s all seem to gravitate to them because that was the major style then. No reason to get defensive. You're taking it as a negative when it's not necessarily meant as a negative. It doesn't make it wrong or bad to wear them. It's just what it is -- old men tend to gravitate toward them much moreso than anyone under 40.

I think saddle shoes are considered old man shoes now but I still wear them. Now it seems like old man shoes = ones that have material on them that can still be shined/polished by a locker room attendant. I don't like most of the styles coming out now. The Nike ones above...WTF?

Ultimate old man/infrequent golfer shoe: anything with kilties.

Most the young kids on tour now wearing FJ are actually wearing the Icon Wingtips or DryJoy Tours Saddle. Its actually the veteran guys that are opting for the Dryjoy Casuals and Flex's.

Callaway Paradym TD 8*/HZRDUS GEN4 Black Limited Edition 60TX

Ping G425 LST 3W/Hulk 70TX

G425 3H/Ventus 9x HY

PXG 0311 Gen 4 T/ST Combo/PX LZ 6.5

Vokey SM9 50F/54S/58M, DG Black Onyx x100

you are questioning why a style from 30 years ago is considered old??

i agree certain styles are timeless, wingtips specifically, but your basic white with brown saddles do look pretty 'meh' and seem to be associated with pleated khakis and an all cotton shirt with sleeves past ones elbows.

there are exceptions and looking sharp with classic/timeless styles isn't hard to achieve. taking your idea of a saddle, look no further than the white on white faux croc skin saddle footjoy dry joys tour (or icons) is both timeless, while incorporating technology and comfort that didn't exist in 1985.

this is the beauty about style, some people can be more conservative, while others can express themselves with the latest volt colored flyknit nikes. different spokes for different folks.

I think there are a few converging trends that have led us to where we are:

• Shoe companies like Nike and adidas getting into the game
  • The rise of "athleisure" gear (in general)
  • The relaxing of dress codes at golf clubs (in general)
  • Generational style changes

I personally think the wingtips and croc-skin shoes still look sharp, though they seem to make more sense for people who play in pants. I'm in Florida so I only play in pants about one or two months of the year.

Conspiracy theories aren't my thing but I can't help thinking the move to spikeless/nub shoes was less about performance and more about getting us to treat our golf shoes as disposable. A lot of the older guys I know who invested heavily in the FootJoy Classics line have racks of shoes that look practically brand new because they take care of them and rotate them.

Also, most of us probably play the majority of our rounds in shorts as opposed to pants. Wingtips and shorts look ridiculous. I think you would see a lot more people wear the "nicer" older style dress shoes if we wore pants more.

Very good point. Although even in pants I wouldn't wear the wing tips. Nothing wrong with them, I just don't care for the look. That's why it's good they make a lot of different styles.

So, I'm not gonna lie. I am typically late getting to the course. The golf scene , from a movie, that best depicts me is tin cup when he is teeing up in the first round of the open..... slightly hung over, and warming up on the tee box.

I do have nice golf attire. But, in the desert, cool less formal attire works better. And is lower maintenance.

Part of the reason I am typically wearing sneaker type golf shoes.

I'm 23 and fashionable and I agree. I hate most golf shoes now. Nike stuff is ugly, most of Adidas is ugly, save for their more classic designs which is what I wear. Footjoy's are ugly besides DNA and these ones of course.

You don't like this?

NIKE-FLYKNIT-ELITE-844450_600_A_PREM.jpg

I'll wear something like that for soccer not golf

I won't even get into the debate about shoes from 20th century...THIS below is an "old man" golf shoe here in 2016... a beyond cheaply made, when brand new sold at clearance prices and yet still bought with a "coupon", disgusting shoe... nothing makes my stomach turn more than watching a baby boomer in the parking lot creak out of the front seat of their newest sedan they just paid cash for and put these on...s-l1000.jpg

All depends on the trouser. Cotton or traditional trouser and a Nike shoe looks wrong - go with FJ classic.

Athletic trousers need an athletic shoe.

Both are fine, just don't mix your drinks.

Ha I made a thread about mixing fabrics last week!

Callaway Paradym TD 8*/HZRDUS GEN4 Black Limited Edition 60TX

Ping G425 LST 3W/Hulk 70TX

G425 3H/Ventus 9x HY

PXG 0311 Gen 4 T/ST Combo/PX LZ 6.5

Vokey SM9 50F/54S/58M, DG Black Onyx x100

I remember when I had played golf like two times and wanted to actually get some clubs and start playing regularly. Went out and bought a cheapo set of golf clubs, a bunch of balls and was determined to get a "real" pair of golf shoes. When I got to the store I was appalled that virtually the only options were hideously out of date (this was the early 1990's) black-and-white or brown-and-white saddle oxfords with leather soles and metal spikes. I dutifully bought a pair of Mizunos (cheapest pair I could find in my size) and the next day when i put them on I was horrified at the thought of going out in public shod like that.

Fortunately, at the golf course 'most everybody was wearing something along the same lines. So at least I didn't feel like a complete tool as long as I was surrounded by other taste-challenged individuals. Even more fortunately, those shoes pinched like the you-know-what and my feet were killing me by the end of the round. I tried them a couple more times then donated 'em to Goodwill.

For several years after that I played in running shoes or even my street shoes if I went straight to the course after work. Eventually some decent golf shoe options started showing up in the stores. But I'd still be wearing New Balance sneakers if the only options were pre-war style leather saddle shoes.

I won't even get into the debate about shoes from the 20th century...THIS is an "old man" golf shoe here in 2016... a beyond cheaply made, when brand new sold at clearance prices and yet still bought with a "coupon", disgusting shoe... nothing makes my stomach turn more than watching a baby boomer in the parking lot creak out of the front seat of their newest sedan they just paid cash for and put these on...s-l1000.jpg

This is laughs, because I actually have a pair of these golf shoes (they are the FootJoy Green Joys). Not only do they look cheap, but the soles are partially red in color. I bought them at Big 5 Sporting Goods for only $40, and they came with metal spikes. I would not call these old-man shoes, but cheap shoes. Fortunately in my case I am not a baby boomer (grew up in the '80's), nor do I drive a new sedan (I drive a 20-year-old, hand-me-down Lexus from my dad). This pair of shoes I will only wear to the muni, and when I get invited to a more prestigious club I will don the alligator shoes or high-end FootJoy Classics. By the way, I wore a nice pair of brown Banana Republic pants which matched the shoes perfectly, so I looked good for teeing it up at the muni. Fortunately in my case I shot 76 with those shoes on, so nobody was knocking those cheap shoes.

This, I believe, is definitely an example of old-man shoes. Anything with a kiltie indicates nearing the end of life.

vtg-footjoy-2-classic-punched-wingtip-kiltie-oxford-golf-shoes-beige-10-5-mens-1f93f00e522d432d108d0f2638339cc8.jpg

I suppose that the current trend for golf shoes involves bicycle toes. I can't stand the look of vertical lines going up the tops of my feet. Even more nauseous is when you see contrast between the lines. The style of these types of shoes are favored over saddles or wingtips? What is the golfing world coming to?

For me I really like the FJ DNAs, the fit is great, but they don't last like my classics. I have a few pairs that are 10+ seasons old and look almost new. They would be saddles and solid dress. I also picked up a couple pair of the new "Black" series from FJ this year. They look great, but will they hold up. I also have 2 pair of Eccos, never use they to play, but they are great to get around town or on a Saturday work day. Wear what you like, it's your style. Me I'm a little older and set in my ways.....

Ping g430 10K w/ Ventus Red 6-S

TaylorMade iq10 5 Wood w/ TD-70-S

Taylormade Stage 2 Tour hybrid w/Fujikura Speeder HB-S

PXG 0317t w/steelfiber i95-S 5-PW

SM8. 52* & 58* TM High Toe

Lab Mezz...46”

Jones Players Bag
Taylormade TP5X

Also, most of us probably play the majority of our rounds in shorts as opposed to pants. Wingtips and shorts look ridiculous. I think you would see a lot more people wear the "nicer" older style dress shoes if we wore pants more.

I agree with you, that wingtips and shorts look tacky. However, saddles and shorts get along quite well. Heck, there are B&W pictures of teenage Jack Nicklaus wearing shorts and saddles. I certainly agree that wingtips and saddles require a good matching pair of pants, belt and shirt. For shorts, I recommend either saddles or the mid-90's models of Nike Air golf shoes, the ones that look like cross-trainers. They look great with shorts. Modern bicycle toes? They don't look good on either shorts or pants.