• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wing tips are the most go awful ugly shoes ever. On or off the course.

To each their own but I happen to think the saddle, wingtip and bicycle toe all look better than the newer athletic inspired golf shoes. And I have and wear all the Jordan releases and the chukkas.

Ping G410 LST Ventus Black 6x
Ping G410 LST AD-DI 7x
Ping G410 20* Crossover PX EvenFlow Black 85HY 6.5
Ping iBlade 4-PW PX LZ 6.5
Glide Stealth 2.0 52/56/60 TI S400
Ping Sigma 2 Tyne Steath, Stealth shaft. PP58 Black Cord
ProV1x
Ping Hoofer Multicam

I'm fine with plain toe, wingtip, bicycle toe, whatever as long as it's all one color. Although honestly the plain toe looks better and the bicycle toe is generally just a way of dressing up a shoe that's too pointy for my feet. Most black or brown leather shoes is fairly timeless and universal, whatever bits of tooling it might have.

Same with a black, white, brown, tan, taupe, grey or off-white athletic style shoe. Unless it has an incredibly silly design it will look good with shorts or even with long slacks on the golf course.

But even at this late date, not wanting two-tone (or more than two) saddle shoes eliminates a huge number of traditional golf shoe options. And not wanting bright color accents or decorative geegaws definitely eliminates a lot of the athletic shoes. So for those of us with disfunctional and/or oddly proportioned feet it can get frustrating being limited to just a subset of possible styles that you see in store unless you want some kind of Look At Me sneaker or a two-tone saddle that's a throwback to 75+ years ago.

I agree with you, that wingtips and shorts look tacky. However, saddles and shorts get along quite well. Heck, there are B&W pictures of teenage Jack Nicklaus wearing shorts and saddles.

Here's Jack in August wearing shorts and "old man" shoes.

Well I've always known Jack Nicklaus can do LOTS of things I can't on a golf course...

I agree with you, that wingtips and shorts look tacky. However, saddles and shorts get along quite well. Heck, there are B&W pictures of teenage Jack Nicklaus wearing shorts and saddles.

all-black shoes and shorts.... that's a whole 'nuther thread, isn't it?

I much prefer the newer athletic style shoe of today. I don't like the look of the wingtips. Just my preferences.

For the record, old(er) guy here.

Same for me. Play mostly in shorts and think athletic looks better with them...feel better, too.

Ping G400 Max, 9.5, Tour 65 S Cobra AMP Cell 3+ (13) Taylormade RBZ 3HL (17) Wishon 775HS 3Hyb (21) - Modus 120X Mizuno JPX 919 Forged (5-G) - Modus 120X Mizuno S18 - 56 & 60 - Modus 120X Odyssey Sabertooth www.YourGolfHeadcovers.com

the man can wear whatever the hell he wants, i think.

-

for me, it's comfort and i wear shorts 90% of the time unless it's below 50* outside so FJ icons obviously don't go with shorts. they are also very stiff to me with no flex. TW15's get the job done.

915D2 Rogue Silver 60S
915F Rogue Black 80S
915H Rogue Black 85S
712u 4i Recoil F4 110
714 AP2 5-PW Nippon Modus3 Tour 105x
SM6 51.08F | 56.08M | 60.10S
Scotty Cameron Mil-Spec 33/350G
restoration on my Mil-Spec

Winged tips are the best, week in week out BillyHO and Justin Thomas have the best shoes on tour

If you look on the European Tour a lot of guys are wearing FJ Classics and a few women on the LPGA are too

Driver--- Honma G1-X Stock R shaft FW Adams Tight Lies 16* Mitsu Diamana FW 7 woodTM V- Steel 21* Stock TM R Irons 3 thru PW 1980 Macgregor VIP Hogan #2 Apex Shafts SW- Clevaland 588 56* Sensicore S-400 LW Cleveland 588 60* Sensicore S-400 Putter 1997 Cameron Santa FE rusty as heck Bulls Eye Satin fluted shaft Bags- Old School Burton mini staff non logo or Jones Classic

I won't even get into the debate about shoes from the 20th century...THIS is an "old man" golf shoe here in 2016... a beyond cheaply made, when brand new sold at clearance prices and yet still bought with a "coupon", disgusting shoe... nothing makes my stomach turn more than watching a baby boomer in the parking lot creak out of the front seat of their newest sedan they just paid cash for and put these on...s-l1000.jpg

This is laughs, because I actually have a pair of these golf shoes (they are the FootJoy Green Joys). Not only do they look cheap, but the soles are partially red in color. I bought them at Big 5 Sporting Goods for only $40, and they came with metal spikes. I would not call these old-man shoes, but cheap shoes. Fortunately in my case I am not a baby boomer (grew up in the '80's), nor do I drive a new sedan (I drive a 20-year-old, hand-me-down Lexus from my dad). This pair of shoes I will only wear to the muni, and when I get invited to a more prestigious club I will don the alligator shoes or high-end FootJoy Classics. By the way, I wore a nice pair of brown Banana Republic pants which matched the shoes perfectly, so I looked good for teeing it up at the muni. Fortunately in my case I shot 76 with those shoes on, so nobody was knocking those cheap shoes.

This, I believe, is definitely an example of old-man shoes. Anything with a kiltie indicates nearing the end of life.

vtg-footjoy-2-classic-punched-wingtip-kiltie-oxford-golf-shoes-beige-10-5-mens-1f93f00e522d432d108d0f2638339cc8.jpg

I could not stand those kiltie things when they were new and fashionable. Every time I got a new pair of shoes I took a razor blade and cut those darn things off. I guess I got that from my old man because I did the same thing he did

Driver--- Honma G1-X Stock R shaft FW Adams Tight Lies 16* Mitsu Diamana FW 7 woodTM V- Steel 21* Stock TM R Irons 3 thru PW 1980 Macgregor VIP Hogan #2 Apex Shafts SW- Clevaland 588 56* Sensicore S-400 LW Cleveland 588 60* Sensicore S-400 Putter 1997 Cameron Santa FE rusty as heck Bulls Eye Satin fluted shaft Bags- Old School Burton mini staff non logo or Jones Classic

the man can wear whatever the hell he wants, i think.

-

for me, it's comfort and i wear shorts 90% of the time unless it's below 50* outside so FJ icons obviously don't go with shorts. they are also very stiff to me with no flex. TW15's get the job done.

Icons go fine with shorts. Some of the dressier styles do go best with slacks. I did get hollered at though for doing what Jack did in the pic and having white short socks with black shoes lol.

WITB
Tools for the job!

It kind of depends, doesn't it? I don't think you can classify something as "old man," it just depends where you're playing, what you're wearing, etc. I'm a younger guy (early-mid 20's), and most of the courses I play aren't super high end. This, plus being in Texas, I usually wear shorts and a polo tucked in. Something like wingtips or saddles would look ridiculous, so I wear shoes that look and feel pretty athletic. On the other hand, if I was playing high-end country clubs where I was expected to wear nice slacks or something, wingtips would be much more acceptable and I would definitely think about getting some.

It would just look ridiculous wearing wingtips to a local muni with shorts - that doesn't mean I have anything against them, I think they look pretty good if worn in the right context. Think of it like an office - I'm in a relatively conservative office, and I usually wear slacks and nice loafers. But in college, when I worked part time in a more casual setting, I could wear jeans and cowboy boots. Same thing here.

For those of you that think you can't wear Shield Tips (they're not wingtips) or Saddles with shorts, it's really not hard to do. And I have 16 pairs of Icons that I wear and walk full rounds in most of the time and I love them! All these photos are with shorts.

GreenampWhiteFJ.jpg

NavyampTanFJ.jpg

TealFJoutfit.jpg

BlueCoolingOutfit.jpg

coralfj.jpg

The only shoes that I think of as being "Old Man's Shoes" are any shoes with Velcro straps instead of laces. :-)

One thing is for certain - any old man wearing alligator, ostrich, or lizard wing tips, or saddles, doesn't give a flying f6ck what some youngster in tennis shoes thinks is stylish! :blind:

Texsport

Mizuno GT180 10.5*/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 5 X
Tour Edge Exotics CB F2 PRO 15.5* Limited/Speeder 757 EVO 7.1X (Gene Sauers club)
Titleist 915 18*/Fubuki K 80X
Titleist 913 Hybrid 21*/Tour Blue 105X (Matt Jones' club) (OR) TM Burner 4-iron/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Wilson Staff V4 5 and 6/Aerotech Fibersteel 110 S
MacGregor PRO M 7-PM/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Edel 50*/KBS 610 S
Scratch JMO Grind Don White 56*/DG X-100
Cobra Trusty Rusty Tour 64*/DG S-200
The Cure CX2 putter

I think there are a few converging trends that have led us to where we are:

• Shoe companies like Nike and adidas getting into the game
  • The rise of "athleisure" gear (in general)
  • The relaxing of dress codes at golf clubs (in general)
  • Generational style changes

I personally think the wingtips and croc-skin shoes still look sharp, though they seem to make more sense for people who play in pants. I'm in Florida so I only play in pants about one or two months of the year.

Conspiracy theories aren't my thing but I can't help thinking the move to spikeless/nub shoes was less about performance and more about getting us to treat our golf shoes as disposable. A lot of the older guys I know who invested heavily in the FootJoy Classics line have racks of shoes that look practically brand new because they take care of them and rotate them.

Agree completely with your comment about the disposable shoes. I tend to think that is also a big reason behind the loud colors and styles. Easy to create a new trend when "Volt" isn't cool anymore.