Saw some new Callaway Woods last night (The Epic Thread)

jimpsycho

My 2 pros hit both versions yesterday and gave me a little feedback. The head pro is 50ish, has a very nice, repeatable swing and consistently hits his driver 275-280ish and hits a bunch of fairways. The assistant pro is 30ish, very solid player and bombs it 295-300 and is also very consistent, but maybe a little less consistent than the head pro off the tee.

Head Pro: Couldn't get enough launch angle with the SZ version and figured out very quickly that it wasn't for him. He then hit the regular version against his gamer on trackman, and found that the Epic was consistently 8 yards longer for him. Dispersion was similar to his current driver. He was impressed with the Epic and said he really didn't expect to find something that could replace his gamer, but he did.

Assistant Pro: Hit the regular Epic and the spin numbers were too high for him. He then hit the SZ version, and the spin came down to 2400 rpms consistently. He liked the way it felt and said that based on the numbers, it was consistently carrying 4 yards further than his gamer. He plans to upgrade to the SZ version.

Neither of them thought that this was a game changer, but both were impressed with the Epic series and both of them think it will be in their bags next season.

Moral of this story for me was that I will clearly need to try both before making any decisions.

That makes sense and agree based on my testing.

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My 2 pros hit both versions yesterday and gave me a little feedback. The head pro is 50ish, has a very nice, repeatable swing and consistently hits his driver 275-280ish and hits a bunch of fairways. The assistant pro is 30ish, very solid player and bombs it 295-300 and is also very consistent, but maybe a little less consistent than the head pro off the tee.

Head Pro: Couldn't get enough launch angle with the SZ version and figured out very quickly that it wasn't for him. He then hit the regular version against his gamer on trackman, and found that the Epic was consistently 8 yards longer for him. Dispersion was similar to his current driver. He was impressed with the Epic and said he really didn't expect to find something that could replace his gamer, but he did.

Assistant Pro: Hit the regular Epic and the spin numbers were too high for him. He then hit the SZ version, and the spin came down to 2400 rpms consistently. He liked the way it felt and said that based on the numbers, it was consistently carrying 4 yards further than his gamer. He plans to upgrade to the SZ version.

Neither of them thought that this was a game changer, but both were impressed with the Epic series and both of them think it will be in their bags next season.

Moral of this story for me was that I will clearly need to try both before making any decisions.

8 yards for the Head Pro is significant. What was his gamer setup?

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1299464-bruinspatsirish-witb-march-2016-taylormade-adams-bettinardi-tee/page__p__13143444#entry13143444"]bruinsPATSirish WITB![/url]
Callaway EPIC 10.5* Tour Issue Speeder 757 X
Callaway EPIC 3 Wood Diamana Kail'i 80 X
Callaway EPIC 5 Wood Diamana Kail'i 80 X
TaylorMade RSi TP Irons w/ Project X 6.5
Callaway MackDaddy FORGED 52/56/60 DG TI S200
Bettinardi BB8 DASS TriSole

Ok Gents

Spent an hour today with both drivers, and the 917 but with the shaft which was my second best.(Normally fit into WB, D+, D+ Ltd. etc.) Will set up the review accordingly, and you guys can rip it apart as you see fit ;) Again, was allowed to try on Flightscope, but no pics as per the rep. All consumer info will be released January 3rd...

Looks

Both look great at address, and definitely not what you would expect from the pre-release on the sole. Not matted, but a glossy top with minimal glare and almost a checkerboard pattern on the back half of the crown.

Frames the ball well

Sound

Great sound compared to previous versions of Callaway XR and GBB. Not muted, but not obnoxious whatsoever.

Feel

Much improved over XR 16 and GBB, the ball just felt like a driver should. Compared to the 917, you could feel a touch more firmness, but not harsh at all.

Background on myself

4 cap

inside out swing and normally a draw, +2 AoA, and hit the center pretty often.

On to the numbers...

While everyone will be quick to point out the differences in speed is because of the 1/2" in length, I choked up to get the length to 45" which I normally play my driver at. The 917 was fit for me on 9/17, but didn't place the order because I heard rumours of a new driver that was supposed to be great from TMade (2017 M) and Callaway (Fusion, but found out it was Epic)

917 is with the Rogue Max 65x at 10.5 D2, standard length A1 Setting

Epic GBB was 10.5*, neutral setting at 9.5

Epic SZ was at 9*, neutral setting

Rep only had S Flex of the Made-for Hzrdus and Rogue Max

Personal Best with the Epic GBB on trackman....Curious to see how well this can perform with a shaft that is dialled in for me....

If anything, jailbreak will induce more stress on the face. This is how they are getting all the extra ball speed. Instead of the titanium cup deforming as the face flexes, it is making the edges more rigid. This means the most flexible part of the titanium (the face) will deform more.

I'm sure the face thickness has been altered vs previous designs to take into account for the added stresses.

I forget, does the epic have the R Moto face tech too? That design would probably cause more stress vs jailbreak. If those are together, you are getting one really rigid back side of the face cup.

Just wait, next iteration will be an X to stabilize the toe portion of the cup. Bringing back the hyper x as a marketing term.

Two things here from my vague college recollections (Mech or other engineers, please correct me if I am incorrect)

1. Actually I don't think the stress will change as S = F/ A where S = stress (psi or lbs of force per in.2), F = applied force (lbs of force) and A = cross-sectional area (in.2) so the only really variable that would change this (for any given player) is the Area of the face. How much the face may stretch or depress has nothing to do with the amount of stress.

2. As to the how the stress is distributed across the face, there simply is not test enough information to say it will be more or less at any given point on the face.

I trust the design engineers looked at this though and accounted for any changes they needed to. Either way I wouldn't worry about cracking as Callaway's customer service is top notch.

Hi, I'm a mechanical engineer :)

I also have a background in structural finite element analysis and have access to the same simulation tools that Callaway does to simulate these situations.

I'm specifically referring to the location of the higher stress concentration at the edges of the face that will be caused by not allowing the free edges of the face cup to distort as much as it would without the stiffening bars.

The stress that would be calculated at the edge of the face will vary based on how the rest of the head distorts. The formulas you reference are calcs for simple uniform cross sections of material generally used for calculating normal tensile or compressive stresses. The face/crown/sole vary in curvature and thickness so it isn't as simple as calculating the compressive stress on a beam or rod. You really need to use finite element modeling to break the geometry down to small manageable elements that can then utilize stress calculations similar to those. You also have to take into account the vector (direction) of the force and how that translates across the face. FEA handles this as well. All this talk makes me want to make a crude model and run a quick simulation with and without jailbreak to explain a bit more. If I have time over the weekend I'll see what I can do.

Let me be clear, Callaway goes through countless iterations of these simulations. Without any doubt they simulate low, toe, heel, crown, and combinations of each in between at numerous ball speeds to ensure they have a robust design that will withstand tour level swing speeds. I was only mentioning that they would need to account for the added stiffness caused by the bars. It may not even have been an issue, but the whole idea behind jailbreak seems to be to reduce flex of the face cup to allow the most energy to be transferred back to the ball as possible, not lost to distortion in the head.

I completely agree, I don't think we have anything to worry about. They do a great job. Sorry if that sounded like rambling, was just trying to capture my ideas on my phone.

Ok Gents

Spent an hour today with both drivers, and the 917 but with the shaft which was my second best.(Normally fit into WB, D+, D+ Ltd. etc.) Will set up the review accordingly, and you guys can rip it apart as you see fit ;) Again, was allowed to try on Flightscope, but no pics as per the rep. All consumer info will be released January 3rd...

Looks

Both look great at address, and definitely not what you would expect from the pre-release on the sole. Not matted, but a glossy top with minimal glare and almost a checkerboard pattern on the back half of the crown.

Frames the ball well

Sound

Great sound compared to previous versions of Callaway XR and GBB. Not muted, but not obnoxious whatsoever.

Feel

Much improved over XR 16 and GBB, the ball just felt like a driver should. Compared to the 917, you could feel a touch more firmness, but not harsh at all.

Background on myself

4 cap

On to the numbers...

While everyone will be quick to point out the differences in speed is because of the 1/2" in length, I choked up to get the length to 45" which I normally play my driver at. The 917 was fit for me on 9/17, but didn't place the order because I heard rumours of a new driver that was supposed to be great from TMade (2017 M) and Callaway (Fusion, but found out it was Epic)

Personal Best with the Epic GBB on trackman....Curious to see how well this can perform with a shaft that is dialled in for me....

5mph ballspeed increase over the 917 is significant, when I hit the 917 it was within 1mph of the M2 hit on the same day.

Callaway Mavrik 9* - Rogue 125 70TX
Callaway Mavrik SZ 15* - Riptide 70 6.5
Cobra King 3 Utility - Kuro Kage 100X

Wilson FG Tour V6 - X100
Glide 3.0 46, 51, 56, 60 - X100
Scotty Cameron Newport 3

I dropped a small review in my WITB but will say the Epic SZ performed really well for me today. It pretty much match my M2 which is fit and drops bombs. Can't wait to do more testing when all lofts and heads are released

Edel PROTO

His gamer is the 816 GBB. I think he plays a Diamana Blueboard shaft but not sure. He used his gamer shaft to test the Epic drivers. He did not experiment with any shafts. I agree that 8 yards is significant, and so does he, but I think he and I hold a higher standard for the term "game changer". As I said, he will be changing over to the Epic GBB. He is a scratch golfer and hits a lot of fairways and greens; he and I think while 8 yards is nice for him and means potentially one less club into the green, it probably won't translate into a significant impact to his handicap and scoring average.

LEFT HANDED

Titleist TSR3 with Metaflex 5H shaft (currently testing the Proxima 6 stiff shaft)
Titleist TSR2 16.5 degree fwy with Ventus Red 7 stiff shaft
Ping G430 19 and 22 degree hybrids with Ventus Blue HB 8 stiff shaft
Srixon ZX7 mkii 5-PW with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts

Titleist SM9 50F, 54D, 58T wedge with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts
L.A.B. MEZZ Max putter with LAGP putter shaft

His gamer is the 816 GBB. I think he plays a Diamana Blueboard shaft but not sure. He used his gamer shaft to test the Epic drivers. He did not experiment with any shafts. I agree that 8 yards is significant, and so does he, but I think he and I hold a higher standard for the term "game changer". As I said, he will be changing over to the Epic GBB. He is a scratch golfer and hits a lot of fairways and greens; he and I think while 8 yards is nice for him and means potentially one less club into the green, it probably won't translate into a significant impact to his handicap and scoring average.

How did he gain 8 yards? Spin or ball speed? If it's just spin that's irrelevant cuz there's 20 drivers that spin less than GBB

How did he gain 8 yards? Spin or ball speed? If it's just spin that's irrelevant cuz there's 20 drivers that spin less than GBB

I don't know the answer to this but I still think it is relevant regardless. Even if it were a spin issue, there is a reason he isn't playing other heads, his current one gave him the best overall performance, including length, accuracy, forgiveness. The new Epic is the first driver that has shown enough promise initially to beat out his GBB on all fronts. Obviously needs on course testing before making that determination.

LEFT HANDED

Titleist TSR3 with Metaflex 5H shaft (currently testing the Proxima 6 stiff shaft)

I don't know the answer to this but I still think it is relevant regardless. Even if it were a spin issue, there is a reason he isn't playing other heads, his current one gave him the best overall performance, including length, accuracy, forgiveness. The new Epic is the first driver that has shown enough promise initially to beat out his GBB on all fronts. Obviously needs on course testing before making that determination.

Well if it is a spin issue, the driver in your bag (LTD) has around the same MOI as GBB (slightly higher actually), while spinning much less. Maybe that was best for him out of Callaway stuff tho assuming he is on staff

Well if it is a spin issue, the driver in your bag (LTD) has around the same MOI as GBB (slightly higher actually), while spinning much less. Maybe that was best for him out of Callaway stuff tho assuming he is on staff

Guy still hits more fairways than me by a long shot. He is also 5-10 yards longer than me, but I guess that is why he is a PGA pro and I have a day job.

LEFT HANDED

Guy still hits more fairways than me by a long shot. He is also 5-10 yards longer than me, but I guess that is why he is a PGA pro and I have a day job.

Irrelevant to anything I said

Mob..

If you said ball speed then people would say the technology is working for the Epic.

If it just spin then as MM said, there are lower spinning options out there, so nothing too game changer.

Now if it's a combo deal then maybe that pushes people towards the technology is working.

Callaway Epic Speed Triple Diamond LS *9.0 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *15 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *18 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway 19' Apex Pros 4-Pw/ UST Recoil 125 Protos F4 
Callaway MD5 50W & 54W & 58X w/ UST Recoil 125
protos F4

Tyson Lamb Customed Long Neck Allendale 
#lookatthebaby #teamcallaway

Ok Gents

Looks

Frames the ball well

Sound

Feel

Background on myself

4 cap

On to the numbers...

5mph ballspeed increase over the 917 is significant, when I hit the 917 it was within 1mph of the M2 hit on the same day.

Not too sure here............there is a 3mph bump in the club head speed. Why is that? What is the total and swing weight differences between the tested setups? Something has to account for swinging the club faster................

TaylorMade M2 10.5 / Matrix White Tie 50X4 R
Callaway Apex 3/20 Hybrid / USTM Recoil 760 ES F3
Callaway Apex 4/23 Hybrid / USTM Recoil 760 ES F3

Maltby KE Tour TC 5/25 Hybrid / Rapport CoreBlue Hybrid R flex
Maltby Forged DBM 4-GW / USTM Recoil 660 F3
Maltby TSW DRM 58 / UST Rv2 Gold 115 R
Maltby TSW DRM 54 / UST Rv2 Gold 115 R
Maltby PTM-5 with 3" Carbon Steel hosel & UST Frequency Filter shaft
Nike RZN Tour Black or TaylorMade Tour Response

Ok Gents

Looks

Frames the ball well

Sound

Feel

Background on myself

4 cap

On to the numbers...

Not too sure here............there is a 3mph bump in the club head speed. Why is that? What is the total and swing weight differences between the tested setups? Something has to account for swinging the club faster................

could be the head size? (I don't actually know, just throwing this out there) -- i know, for whatever reason, when i went from the M1 460 to the sub zero i gained a couple mph...didn't know why since i had the same shaft and setup - it just was.

Qi10 LS / 8* (dialed to 8.75*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Qi10 Tour / 3w / Denali Blue 70TX

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

This has reached the point of me just getting ticked off at this clear "hype process" by Callaway, so in this possible customer's case, it's not working. Whenever I read this thread, I feel like I'm on another website where this is the norm.

[u][b]2020 Bag[/b][/u]
Titleist TS3 9.5 [i]Fujikura Ventus Blue 6S[/i]
Titleist TS3 15 [i]/Aldila Rogue Silver 70S[/i]
Titleist TS2 19 [i]/Project X Evenflow White 90 6.0[/i]
Titleist T100 4-PW[i]/True Temper AMT Tour White S300[/i]
Titleist Vokey SM7 50F, 54M, 60M 
Evnroll 1.2 34"

This has reached the point of me just getting ticked off at this clear "hype process" by Callaway, so in this possible customer's case, it's not working. Whenever I read this thread, I feel like I'm on another website where this is the norm.

In fairness.. aside from maybe 1 post, Callaway hasn't hyped anything on here and hasn't been active on here over the years.

Speaking of "another website", I've been pointed to another Callaway trip going on now that seriously looks "epic". Easily the best OEM trip I've seen black%20eye.gif

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 7.5 - PX Hulk 65g

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 13.5 - PX Hulk 85g
PXG Hybrid 19 - GD HYB 95

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Miura Tour 50, 54 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

Scotty Cameron 009 - Circle W
IG: https://www.instagram.com/pure745

In fairness.. aside from maybe 1 post, Callaway hasn't hyped anything on here and hasn't been active on here over the years.

Speaking of "another website", I've been pointed to another Callaway trip going on now that seriously looks "epic". Easily the best OEM trip I've seen black%20eye.gif

No, but they don't have to be directly active on here anymore. Harry himself has stated, part of their rise is due to creating a group of "passionate advocates". Their marketing is more effective if your buddy says "here check this out", versus them saying it.

To be blatantly honest, with as big a following as you have for your shootout threads, I'm shocked you weren't chosen to go on the trip. (I could be wrong about this, as I haven't seen the official list, just piecing it together)

Member of TMAG #TeamJetspeed 2013

I should clarify, this process of giving the reps demos to show people but promise no pictures for months on end, but to have people talk about it for this long is annoying me, rather than getting me hyped. I might be alone in that. Even that other site's trip, it's just a circle jerk similar to CallaWRX2, I assume thats why Callaway has focused their time over there the past few years. But even on their trip, they're not allowed to even say the name of the driver, when it's on the USGA list. To me its just making a new driver seem like something much more important than it is. But again, I could be alone on that.

[u][b]2020 Bag[/b][/u]
Titleist TS3 9.5 [i]Fujikura Ventus Blue 6S[/i]
Titleist TS3 15 [i]/Aldila Rogue Silver 70S[/i]
Titleist TS2 19 [i]/Project X Evenflow White 90 6.0[/i]
Titleist T100 4-PW[i]/True Temper AMT Tour White S300[/i]
Titleist Vokey SM7 50F, 54M, 60M 
Evnroll 1.2 34"

No, but they don't have to be directly active on here anymore. Harry himself has stated, part of their rise is due to creating a group of "passionate advocates". Their marketing is more effective if your buddy says "here check this out", versus them saying it.

To be blatantly honest, with as big a following as you have for your shootout threads, I'm shocked you weren't chosen to go on the trip. (I could be wrong about this, as I haven't seen the official list, just piecing it together)

Their plan worked perfectly from what I've seen on here, and with little direct involvement. I am not going on the WRX trip, but will be watching it unfold from the sidelines :)

I should clarify, this process of giving the reps demos to show people but promise no pictures for months on end, but to have people talk about it for this long is annoying me, rather than getting me hyped. I might be alone in that. Even that other site's trip, it's just a circle jerk similar to CallaWRX2, I assume thats why Callaway has focused their time over there the past few years. But even on their trip, they're not allowed to even say the name of the driver, when it's on the USGA list. To me its just making a new driver seem like something much more important than it is. But again, I could be alone on that.

Good points and I agree.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 7.5 - PX Hulk 65g

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 13.5 - PX Hulk 85g
PXG Hybrid 19 - GD HYB 95

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Miura Tour 50, 54 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

Scotty Cameron 009 - Circle W
IG: https://www.instagram.com/pure745

I think if Callaway truly wants to keep things hush hush until the official launch date they have to go back to the drawing board with how they get samples to retail customers. If they see a benefit to the chaos that happens every year with early pics being released then they don't have to change anything.

With that said and 61 pages later maybe they shouldn't change a thing ;)

Edel PROTO

I think part of the reason they're creating the hype the way they are is because they know the product isn't going to be revolutionary so the way to get ahead of the game is build the hype and hope that people buy it without really testing it.

Reminds me of the 1997 album "Be Here Now" by Oasis. The hype of that album alone meant over a million copies were sold in the first week and by week 2 everyone realised it was gash and has been slated ever since. Did the band care? No because people bought it off the hype. The fact it honked didn't matter because the money was in the bank.

I think if Callaway truly wants to keep things hush hush until the official launch date they have to go back to the drawing board with how they get samples to retail customers. If they see a benefit to the chaos that happens every year with early pics being released then they don't have to change anything.

With that said and 61 pages later maybe they shouldn't change a thing ;)

Just don't have someone fired. That was complete BS.

Titleist TS3 8.5 HZDRUS 60 6.5
Titleist TS3 15 HZDRUS 70 6.5
Titleist 818H2 19 Aldila Phenom HYB 85 S
Callaway X-Forged 18 UT 21 KBS $Taper 120 S
Callaway X-Forged 18 4-PW KBS $Taper 120 S
Callaway Mack Daddy 4 52/10 S Grind and 58/8 C Grind KBS $Taper 120 S
Scotty Cameron Futura X 35"
Titleist Pro V1x

Given that most people have ridiculously short attention spans, I think Callaway are planning on leaving any official release/photos etc to as close to 27 Jan as possible.

That way it will be fresher in people's minds than M1/M2 when it comes time to purchase.

Consumer Intro 1/4/2017

Pre-Sale 1/13/2017

PAR 1/27/2017

Titleist TS3 8.5 HZDRUS 60 6.5
Titleist TS3 15 HZDRUS 70 6.5
Titleist 818H2 19 Aldila Phenom HYB 85 S
Callaway X-Forged 18 UT 21 KBS $Taper 120 S
Callaway X-Forged 18 4-PW KBS $Taper 120 S
Callaway Mack Daddy 4 52/10 S Grind and 58/8 C Grind KBS $Taper 120 S
Scotty Cameron Futura X 35"
Titleist Pro V1x