13 More Yards - M1 vs. BB Fusion

Ok, here is the deal.

You can buy a new driver for maybe 400 USD, and gain 13 yards, and maybe some forgiveness on the bargain.

The other option is to spend a few hours on the range with some lead tape and figure our what really fits you, and maybe just modify the club you got for a handful of coins.

IF those LM numbers was to be trusted, the old modified club would be 10-15 yards longer than the new, and with way more fairways, so how good is that 400 USD deal on that 13 yard club now? im not joking, this are the facts, and most players who bothers to read 30 minutes, and spend 120 minutes on the range WILL make it, unless the driver they got is "way out of specs" vs what they should play.

This "offer" to save about 400 USD is not something i would let pass without trying, its not every day you can make 400 USD on less then 3 hours and have fun for the future on top, just imagine how many beers you can get for 400 USD? and still you think a new driver was a better way to spend those cash? haha, if thats still your opinion, you have to much money, and you dont like beer :-)

Been there. Done that. Spent a lot of time on the range with the wrench near by and lead tape available to adjust settings and flight. Instead of spending money on beers, I like to spend it on my clubs and on my Mustang (I got my 2.3 litter 4 up to 370hp and 390 ft/lb of torque). I guess we each can spend our money the way we want and that gives us enjoyment.

did you try to play it shorter than standard? if so, you did your best, respect for that.

..about spending money on Golf equipment, im really the last to speak, i guess i have the most expensive bag in play there is, so just like the founder of PXG, i was not happy about what i could find out there no matter what i tried, so i became a club maker to make my own bag, now that bag is made, i closed down the shop, and im moving to Spain to play golf, so im leaving Scandinavia and winters, but it took a few years to get ready for that :-). So when i give advises to others its to save them the time and affords i made, its not for anyone to do that, but i did it because i could...

...about cars, i was a Chevy dealer from 1990 to 2000, so im pretty much vaccinated against cars, but i plan to buy a Golf buggy ;-)

Have fun, we might meet out there some day!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To expand a little on what E is saying here....

At the Gear Trials there were simply some drivers that, no matter changes were made, I could not get optimal numbers. With certain drivers my Smash factor was 1.50 - perfection. With the exact same length, shaft, loft with other drivers I was down around 1.40 or so. And I lost distance - and a lot of it. The fitter said it might be the weight. I honestly think it was a combination of things; weight, feel, and even shape/appearance.

So....

In the OP's case the M1 simply isn't the right driver for him in comparison to the Cally. In short, he might not be able to get the Smash factor up with the M1 any higher because of the factors I cited above.

In the end my Z ended up giving me everything anyone could want in a driver; great smash numbers, awesome spin rates, carry, and overall distance - and I loved the looks and feel.

OP, that's your measure in the end. What makes YOU happy.

E is dead on regarding getting better numbers which will lead to better results. But, and this is HUGE, there are simply some drivers that won't get it for you. The key in a good fitting session is to remain brand open-minded, and go off of the overall results. The M1 is an awesome driver - but in the Gear Trials it didn't work for me either. So I can definitely relate.

It seems there are a few people (especially after a mic drop) that no matter what you say, they are always going to come back and say how they are right about everything they say. I was just providing some information on my experience between the two drivers. There are enough club ho's on here that some people might be interested in what I found and see something that might apply to them. The M1 worked for me alright for me, just the BB Fusion worked better and maybe someone would take that info and decide to give the BB Fusion a try to see if it works better for them and makes them happy also.

Im going to have to stop you right there, I am usually the first person here to admit when I am wrong. Secondly, I am not here for a pissing contest, but here to help as much as possible, My post History along with my like ratio should be indicative of that.

1) Lets get this out of the way, YES the Fusion in its current setup is working as a better driver for you, in comparison to your M1 in its current situation

2) Your assessment against the 2, is correct as the Fusion is giving you better numbers. The M1 in its current configuration is not optimal

3) Comparison up an up though is not a fair example because it seems that the M1 is not setup optimal for you in consideration to your low ball speed.

4) Contradiction of post complaining about AoA and spin issues. The Fusion is not a low spin bomber, its a low CoG, weight moved back for max forgiveness. In comparison to the M1 that is a more low and FORWARD CoG being a much more demanding and lower spinning head. With this contradiction, the Fusion is not a lower spinning head, its likely being more forgiving to your lower quality of strikes allowing you to retain as much ball speed and nullifying some of your AoA issues and keeping spin down. (This is not meant to be disrespectful and not saying you are a bad player, its just an assessment of the situation so please do not be offended by this specific comment)

5) 10.5* and 45.5" is the common factor here, but the Swing Weight is different by 2 points, The Sliding weight on the M1 could be a factor, the Shaft types are different, kick points launch, spin shaft weight, torque is all different.

Yes #5 is being overly specific and at that point its ridiculous. I agree. But from my experience and from what I learned, there is an "Optimal" Specific Setup for each golfer. I myself have a very specific setup that works the best. When one of the factors for me are off slightly, my ball speed decreases and my consistency decreases as well.

To allow me to have the best strike, I need a 45" Length, 9.25* loft, D2 swing weight, 324gram overall weight, 71gram shaft, Stiff etc etc etc.......At this point, if I walk to the driver wall and pull anyone club, if X club happens to be near or at this spec I will likely hit it well, regardless of manufacturer. With that though, if the driver is not near this specs, No matter what I do, I will not hit the driver well unless I can get that specific driver to my preferred specs.

Lastly along with Medic, YES, the basis of some clubs no matter how well you set it up to your specs, it will not be optimal this is true. I 100% agree. By chance even if you setup the M1 exactly to your specs i.e. exactly like the Fusion there is no guarantee that it will perform the same lets put that on the table. BUT, likely though the basis of the club head design is the second largest factor. I.E SLDR vs JetSpeed. The Jetspeed did not get the love it should have, more so the SLDR was marketed to all playing levels that was completely BS, The JetSpeed should have, would have and does, meet the specs of the greater realm of players, but never got the attention. The SLDR was a total hit or miss club....

All in all, My apologies as I know my post seem to be attacking you OP and I truly am not here doing so, I am trying to put a fair assessment so you and like you stated the other readers here are making the best assessment. I personally believe that you have a huge ability to increase your distance/ballspeed even more, by doing a tad bit more tweaks. you have more "distance" locked in there somewhere and you have the potential.

GL!

*edit*

Been there done that, in respect to the car things, MR2 3SGTE 2.0 l 4 banger, TDO6 17c Turbo from GMC Typhoon, 22psi of boost was putting about 370 to the wheels, I was running 12's on stocks

2003 Lancer Evolution 4G63 2.0 4 banger, with a White Rabbit built from the ground up, was getting a clean 350 to the wheels on an all wheel dyno with the 5speed trans before it took a dump on 19psi of boost. Never ran it at tracks as it was meant to be the full control rally car, the Trans was never setup to the 1/4 as 5th was too long and 1-4 would run out by 90mph LOL

Blew way to much money on the pocket rockets....Im going to blame my club tweaking to this stupid previous hobby, trying to squeeze as much power and being as efficient as I can on a small 4cylinder LOL!

Cobra SZ - Rogue 60s
TM 15* M2v1 - RIP Phenom 60S
TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Sub70 - PW-8MBs, 7-4 CBs  PX 6.0 Rifles
Vokey SM7 - 50*/8*, 56*/10* & 60*/8* S300
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

Errrrrrrr.....u do know what "Dropping the Mic" means ..........don't u ????

I dont have so much pride over the internet that I need to take a meme so serious, in comparison to being honest and trying to help as many people as I can.

What good have you done today........

DrDHpWN.gif

Cobra SZ - Rogue 60s
TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

The Fusion is a recent launch in the U.K. I see it is avaialable in 44.5 inch and 45.5 inch versions. As a matter of interest which one are people preferring? Also interested in hearing from the OP as to which length Fusion driver he put up against his M1?

I went in intending to purchase the 44.5" and ended up with the 45.5". I was more interested in finding fairways than pure distance. Turned out after testing that I hit the 45.5" so straight that it wasn't necessary to give up any yardage to get it. I've got about 15 rounds in with it at this point and it's been a great purchase. I don't know that it carries any farther than my 915 did, but the increased roll-out in the fairway is making a difference.

Driver: Callaway Epic Max 10.5*
Fairway: Callaway Epic Max - 15*, 21*, 25*
Irons: TaylorMade M CGB Max 6-SW
Wedges:  Callaway PM Grind 59* and 64*
Putter:  Evnroll ER2 
Ball:  Titleist ProV1

did you try to play it shorter than standard? if so, you did your best, respect for that.

..about spending money on Golf equipment, im really the last to speak, i guess i have the most expensive bag in play there is, so just like the founder of PXG, i was not happy about what i could find out there no matter what i tried, so i became a club maker to make my own bag, now that bag is made, i closed down the shop, and im moving to Spain to play golf, so im leaving Scandinavia and winters, but it took a few years to get ready for that :-). So when i give advises to others its to save them the time and affords i made, its not for anyone to do that, but i did it because i could...

...about cars, i was a Chevy dealer from 1990 to 2000, so im pretty much vaccinated against cars, but i plan to buy a Golf buggy ;-)

Have fun, we might meet out there some day!

I did get fitted with my M1. That is how I ended up with the Fujikura Pro 63 which Taylormade does not offer as an option. Overall I was happy with the M1 performance. It is a excellent performing driver. It gave me a bit more distance over the R15 it was replacing plus it got rid of my big miss. Since getting fitted for the M1 I have made some small adjustments. I found it was much better to make adjustments after a round rather than on the range. The range adjustments usually did not work as using a range ball is not a good test.

The course I belong to is a tight layout with OB on every hole. The previous club I belonged to was much more open. When I broke 80 for the first time, I hit more greens than fairways. My iron play bailed me out on a number of holes. But I need to get some more distance and fairways hit as next year I want to play in club tournaments which requires me to play from the blue tees. Between the right equipment and time on the range / practice greens, I know I will be able to reach that goal.

Callaway Epic Flash 10.5 driver w/ Fujikura Pro 2.0 R2-5
Callaway Epic Flash 3, 5, & 7 woods w/ Fujikura Pro 2.0 R2-6
Callaway Epic Forged 5 - GW w/ Project X Catalyst 60 5.5 soft stepped once
Callaway Jaws 56 w/ Project X Catalyst 80 6.0
Toulon Design Atlanta Stroke Lab
Callaway Chrome Soft

I tried out a Fusion on a GC2 Launch Monitor and i found this club to be a very good driver...extremely low spin !!!! i was hitting a 10.5 with a Fujikura tour spec 6.2 and it was a little bit longer than my gamer......It was only a few yards on average but that was impressive considering how much i love my gamer !!!

I dont have so much pride over the internet that I need to take a meme so serious, in comparison to being honest and trying to help as many people as I can.

DrDHpWN.gif

Hahahahahaha....need to get the last word in ????? .....you certainly are a Mr Know it ALL and I'm sure everybody appreciates your input !

DrDHpWN.gif

Hahahahahaha....need to get the last word in ????? .....you certainly are a Mr Know it ALL and I'm sure everybody appreciates your input !

I actually really appreciated his input. His posts were incredibly informative and unbiased. It doesn't take much to look at information you may not like and find some sort of merit in them, which he and no one else did. This is a damn discussion board. Don't get so bent out of shape when someone challenges you.

Nike VR_S w/ Diamana ION 'ahina 70s
Callaway Razr Fit 15 w/ UST VTS Silver 7
Adams Super 9031 18
4-PW Callaway X-Prototype w/ S300
Byron Morgan 006
Cleveland 50
Nike VR Pro 56
Tour Vokey 60

Glad the new driver is working well, let us know how the Fuji performs.

Very interested in Callaway's new drivers coming out...

I played the Fuji yesterday (18 holes) and Recoil today (9 holes) and found what I experienced at the PGATSS between the two shafts carried to the course. Using Game Golf, the typical yardage with within 1 yard of each other. But the Fuji blew away the Recoil when it came to finding fairways. I hit 6 of 9 fairways with the Fuji and 2 of 6 with the Recoil. My miss was to the left with Recoil and to the right with the Fuji. Since I play for a baby fade, it looks like for right now, the Fuji will be used.

Callaway Chrome Soft

Glad the new driver is working well, let us know how the Fuji performs.

Very interested in Callaway's new drivers coming out...

I played the Fuji yesterday (18 holes) and Recoil today (9 holes) and found what I experienced at the PGATSS between the two shafts carried to the course. Using Game Golf, the typical yardage with within 1 yard of each other. But the Fuji blew away the Recoil when it came to finding fairways. I hit 6 of 9 fairways with the Fuji and 2 of 6 with the Recoil. My miss was to the left with Recoil and to the right with the Fuji. Since I play for a baby fade, it looks like for right now, the Fuji will be used.

Definitely stick with the Fuji then, sounds like you have a winner there! I'm actually interested in trying this Fusion out purely because it comes with the shorter shaft as standard, ideally I'd love to put my ADDI in it and give it a go..

Hopefully it behaves for you!

Titleist 910D3 9.5°
Taylormade Rocketballz tour 18°

Mizuno MP-H4 2 iron
Callaway ApexMB '18 4 - PW
Vokey SM7 52° + 58°
Ping Scottsdale Halfpipe

OP, happy you found what works for your game.

If you ask Callaway for a 12g weight, they may send you one if you want to try a 44.5 in. shaft.

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Observer of Peeps

Primary Bag:

Callaway Epic Speed 9/TPT Golf Shaft ● Mizuno STZ 3, 5 wd/Motore F3 6 ● Ping G425 22 HY/TPT Golf Shaft ● Mizuno MP-20 HMB 5-PW Accra ICWT95 ● Artisan 50, 55, 59/Nippon 105 ● Swag Savage Too ● Options: Epic Speed 7 wd/Riptide 70, Mizuno T20 Wedges

OP, happy you found what works for your game.

If you ask Callaway for a 12g weight, they may send you one if you want to try a 44.5 in. shaft.

I might do that and cut the Recoil down an inch to give it a try.

Callaway Chrome Soft

I tried out a Fusion on a GC2 Launch Monitor and i found this club to be a very good driver...extremely low spin !!!! i was hitting a 10.5 with a Fujikura tour spec 6.2 and it was a little bit longer than my gamer......It was only a few yards on average but that was impressive considering how much i love my gamer !!!

2:40 .... 10.5 loft...

High MOI, Driver, very straight, but higher back spin........

It may be lower spin for many because of the forgiveness provided by the High MOI to allow better quality numbers from not so quality strikes.

But again this is way to much information for you to want to accept. As my information to you is worthless and thats ok, as long as it helps someone else out.

Its not the need to get the last word, its to put quality info and Mr know it all? Thanks for the compliment,.....while your sarcasm is noted.........you can keep putting your foot in your mouth....

Sorry OP to mess with your thread.... again just trying to give to you some legitimate responses to help you make the best decision you can.

"Friends tell you what you want to hear, Best friends tell you what you DONT want to hear"

Cobra SZ - Rogue 60s
TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

I personally think there are two types of driver requirements by us golfers!

1. Some of us can benefit from low spin forward COG to get the best drives.

2. Some of us get our best results from weight back, high MOI drivers.

Let me give a brief explanation:

I play off a 4hcp, SS 112-116, positive AOA usually 2-5deg. 70g x high kick shafts seem to be what I like.

Anyway, with these no.s , the best driver I have ever played to date has been the FTiz tour 9,5 with a Fubuki tour 63x, crazy long & forgiving, did not need to look elsewhere right?

Wrong, we all ho's & 5 years down the line I'm still trying to find that level of completeness.

If tried, all of the Callaway low spin drivers RFX, 815 Dbd & now 816 dbd, all good, all long but nowhere near the consistency of the FTiz & because it was so consistent, it brought out my best swings resulting in longer overall drives.

One of my biggest regrets is getting rid of that combo, however I think I have found happiness & very similar results in the RAZR Fit 8,5 / Fubuki K70x.

Point being, for me, all this forward COG ultra low spin drivers are good but not optimal & I do better with higher MOI drivers regardless of swing speed & launch conditions etc.

I am pretty sure it would be the same for loads of other golfers around the globe!

Cannot wait to get my hands on a BBF & pair it with a low spin shaft, all the 44,5/45,5 short, long shaft BS does not phase me, I play all my drivers at 45" .

To the OP, I feel you man, I have waisted some dough looking for my FTiz ?????? Hope the Fusion does it!!!!

• 3 weeks later...

I've hit the Fusion with 45,5 recoil F4, I usually play 70g x shafts, however, I was swinging an extremely rusty swing & was hitting this fusion dead straight with an average carry in the 270 range and 2500 spin.

So, this was nowhere near my spec in terms of shaft & swing was horrible after a six week layoff but I easily hit great no's.

This driver is no joke, lets hope it doesn't get passed up because its a "Forgiving" driver, I'm getting one ASAP!

I know the OP needs low spin, but he needs forgiveness as well. The Fusion has got to be more the ticket than the less forgiving M1.

XR16 Driver 11.5 Prolaunch Blue Axis reg spine aligned FLOed 45.25" 245y
Adams Speed Line Fast 12 Fairway 17 degrees stock Prolaunch Blue Speedcoat reg spine aligned FLOed 220y
Wilson19.5 Fybrid FY(fairway bridge) stock reg Prolaunch V2 spine aligned FLOed 200y
Adams Super Pro 23 Hybrid Stock Prolaunch Platinium reg spine aligned FLOed 190y
i25 Black Dot 4i-9i Z-Z65 1/2" Long(4-7i with bounce grind) 180-130y
i25 Black Dot UW weakened to 48 Z-Z65 1/2" Long 115y
TM TP 52-9(bent to 53) DG SL300(close match to Z-Z65) 1/2" long 100y
TM TP 58-10(bent to 59 bounce ground to 6) DG SL300(close match to Z-Z65) 1/4" long 85y
Evnroll ER5 370g Hatchback 34" No 30g counterweight 69 degrees Lie 4 Loft Winn Jumbo Lite Pistol 59g Grip Black Tone
All 13 grips GP MCC+4 Grey Logo hidden/down midsize +1 tape layer
Callaway Chrome Soft Ball White
Mizuno Skintite Glove

I haven't sorted through all of this but isn't the Fusion a much lighter club overall than the M1 ?

With adapter and 5g weight I have to think the Fusion head is under 200g. The M1 with adapter would probably be around 206-208g no ?

Also the Fuji shaft in the M1 is heavier than the Recoil. So total club weight you're talking about 20g diff at least between the two.

Callaway Mavrik 12*

Callaway Epic Flash 7w

Exotics Trilogy 5h / Xrail 5h -1"

Ping i200 6-GW

Cleveland CBX Full Face 56/60

Callaway Sure Out 64

Bettinardi BB29

Titleist ProV1x Yellow

Handicap: 9.2

The Fusion is about the same clubhead weight as most drivers on the market. I read somewhere the head plus 12G weight minus adapter was 198G.

I'm getting a potent combos made up that will allow me to use the same club head;

Kuro Kage XM 60 @ 44.5" with 12G weight for tight courses.

Kuro Kage XT 60 @ 45.5" with 5G weight for longer/more open courses.

In testing, both set-ups played very well for me. The added shaft length on the XT causes it to launch and spin very much like the XM at the shorter length even though it's a different shaft profile. Can't wait to hit the course and LM with these combos!!!

Callaway Epic Speed TD 10.5° driver Tensei Pro White 50S

Callaway Epic Flash 15° fairway wood Tensei Pro Blue 60S

Callaway Epic Flash 18° hybrid Tensei Pro Blue Hybrid 70S

Callaway Epic Flash 21° hybrid Tensei Pro Blue Hybrid 80S

Mizuno JPX 921 Forged 4-PW & GW Modus3 Tour 120S 

Mizuno T20 Wedge 50-07 Modus3 Tour 120S 

Mizuno T20 Wedges 55-13 and 60-06 Modus3 125 Wedge

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 

Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport

Titleist Pro V1

I haven't sorted through all of this but isn't the Fusion a much lighter club overall than the M1 ?

With adapter and 5g weight I have to think the Fusion head is under 200g. The M1 with adapter would probably be around 206-208g no ?

Also the Fuji shaft in the M1 is heavier than the Recoil. So total club weight you're talking about 20g diff at least between the two.

I did compare the stats on course between the Recoil and Fuji using Game Golf. The Recoil hit it further but I was missing a lot to the left. The Fuji was slightly shorter and found more fairways. Because of the lighter weight of the Recoil, I was releasing too quickly, causing the misses to the left. I added some lead tape to the toe of the Fusion and that slowed my release so now I get the length and got rid of my misses to the left.

This is the best way to describe the difference. The first hole of the club I belong to is a par 5. With the M1 (and all previous drivers) on my best drives, I never hit my drive far enough to go for the green in two. With the Fusion and Fuji shaft, I was just short of the green using my 3w. Then with the Fusion and Recoil, I reached the green using my 5w.

Callaway Chrome Soft