M2 discontinued??? And saved £280

Cornwall1888

Fancied a new driver so went to get fitted for the Taylormade M2 or Callaway XR16 two of the most critically acclaimed drivers of the year.

The numbers showed the best shots from the new drivers were worse than the average shots with my 5 year old R11s, 8 yards distance loss and not as straight.

Although swing speed was up, launch was up and spin was down the ball speed was down on the M2 over the R11s?

The R11s seemed more forgiving.

I didn't expect big gains but I thought I may see a 4 or 5 yard improvement in the end I was quite happy to hold onto my cash.

I wanted to like the m2 they look great and seem to perform great for most but it just wasn't for me.

If your looking for a 'new' driver on a budget look into the R11s it can clearly still compete new clubs and can be had for £50 on eBay.

The American golf salesman told me before the fitting started that the M2 has been discontinued by taylormade so he won't be able to order one if its not already in store, shame it only came out in January and they are selling more than ever since the Mcilroy switch.

Look out for the M2 2 soon....

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I had the opposite experience with my R11s vs. the M1. I was carrying the ball as long with the M1 as the total distance from my R11s. As Robrey85 said, it's probably a difference in the shaft. I had the RIP Phenom in my R11s and went to the Rogue Black in my M1. 10 grams heavier and I'm getting more optimal launch angle and spin numbers.

If your swing speed was up with the new drivers but your ball speed was down, you were probably seeing lower quality strikes (heel or toe). I'd be curious to see what your launch angle, swing speed, and ball speed numbers were on the R11s and the M2.

One of my regular 4-some had his driver broken in half by an ex girlfriend at the end of this season (hell hath no fury...). He was demoing the M2 and was putting drives in places I've never seen him reach. He's a short hitter and he was seeing shots where, in the past he was almost always 190 - 210 out from the green, he was in the160-170 range instead.

Maybe I was striking the r11s better but even the good strikes with the m2 were not any longer.

Maybe the shaft wasn't optimal for me, I have the rip phenom 60g stiff in my r11s, tried fujikura 60g in the m2

R11s 10.5 ss approx 94 was launching at about 11 degrees and spinning about 2600, m2 was about 96 12 degrees and spinning less which in theory should go further but didn't maybe strike

Bottom line when both were flushed there was no improvement and I seemed to hit more poor shots with the m2

I hit my driver well and am in no rush to change it, I just thought I'd see what was out there after 5 years, until it breaks or something goes notcabley further or straighter I'm not changing

Maybe I could spend hours trying to find the perfect head and and shaft combo to find a club that goes a few yards further but it's not that serious for me, no doubt £280 on lessons would be money better spent

I'll have to defer to some of the launch monitor experts on here for a better analysis than I can provide...I don't know what your optimum launch/ball speed numbers are at your SS. I can say that my typical numbers, on good stikes with the M1 at 8.5o, are:

Clubhead: 106-109

Smash: 1.47

ball speed: 156 - 160

Launch angle: +- 12o

Spin: 2200 (average)

Carry: 270 - 280

These numbers are from GC2, but my instructor doesn't have the module that measures AoA, path, face, etc. I'm assuming I have a positive AoA

Bottom line when both were flushed there was no improvement and I seemed to hit more poor shots with the m2

Well, if you get better results then there certainly is no reason to change but when there is problems with consistency or quality of the strike, it's usually not the head (although not impossible). More often it's one or a combination of 1) playing length, 2) shaft weight 3) swing weight and for some possibly 4) the feel from the shaft bend profile. That's assuming the same grip size is used for both during the demo's.

I'll have to defer to some of the launch monitor experts on here for a better analysis than I can provide...I don't know what your optimum launch/ball speed numbers are at your SS. I can say that my typical numbers, on good stikes with the M1 at 8.5o, are:

These numbers are from GC2, but my instructor doesn't have the module that measures AoA, path, face, etc. I'm assuming I have a positive AoA

Our SS is very similar and I do not consistently see the carry distances you do. My issue is excess spin due to a negative AoA...I would venture a guess by saying your AoA is most certainly positive based on your spin and carry numbers.

[size=3]Current WITB:[/size]

[size=3]Driver: Ping G400 LST w/TS Atmos Blue 6x [/size]
[size=3]3W: TEE EX9 w/Diamana Blue [/size]
[size=3]Hybrid: Titleist 816H1 w/Diamana Blue 70 HY S[/size]
[size=3]Irons: Mizuno MP-20 HMB w/Modus 120 S[/size]
[size=3]Putter: Scotty Cameron GoLo 5R[/size]

Our SS is very similar and I do not consistently see the carry distances you do. My issue is excess spin due to a negative AoA...I would venture a guess by saying your AoA is most certainly positive based on your spin and carry numbers.

I've always been somewhat skeptical of those launch monitors. Usually the longest carries I see on course are in the 270 range. I probably average in the 270-290 total distance range on my well-struck drives, with the occasional 300+ outlier. I rarely see spin above 2400. I'm more apt to see sub 2000 than over 2400.

I've always been somewhat skeptical of those launch monitors. Usually the longest carries I see on course are in the 270 range. I probably average in the 270-290 total distance range on my well-struck drives, with the occasional 300+ outlier. I rarely see spin above 2400. I'm more apt to see sub 2000 than over 2400.

Man I tried in vain when I lived in your area to find someone who gave a fart about the golf swing. What monitor are you talking about? I went in Golf Galaxy @ Castleton and it "seemed" nice...but did not try a fitting. I just dig the trackman outside. To the OP, I'm going for a fitting Thursday for 917 love the look of the D3 in particular. I too do not want to pay 5 bills for one club...we shall see!

"We have learned that we must
live as men, not as ostriches, nor
as dogs in the manger." FDR

I think those carry distances with your swing speed are certainly attainable with a positive AoA. I've seen the Trackman chart that shows "Optimal Carry" numbers given a variety of swing speeds and at our SS, 270 is within range given a positive AoA. I'm jealous of your spin rates, as I've been working on the swing to bring down total spin. At my SS of 106-108, I see carry in the 255 range on well struck shots which is not optimal, but again I fight a negative 2-3* AoA and my spin numbers are high. Talk about a distance killer.

[size=3]Current WITB:[/size]

[size=3]Driver: Ping G400 LST w/TS Atmos Blue 6x [/size]
[size=3]3W: TEE EX9 w/Diamana Blue [/size]
[size=3]Hybrid: Titleist 816H1 w/Diamana Blue 70 HY S[/size]
[size=3]Irons: Mizuno MP-20 HMB w/Modus 120 S[/size]
[size=3]Putter: Scotty Cameron GoLo 5R[/size]

Man I tried in vain when I lived in your area to find someone who gave a fart about the golf swing. What monitor are you talking about? I went in Golf Galaxy @ Castleton and it "seemed" nice...but did not try a fitting. I just dig the trackman outside. To the OP, I'm going for a fitting Thursday for 917 love the look of the D3 in particular. I too do not want to pay 5 bills for one club...we shall see!

I've been doing lessons at the GolfTec on Michigan Road (just north of 96th). They've got GC2 in their lesson bays.

I think those carry distances with your swing speed are certainly attainable with a positive AoA. I've seen the Trackman chart that shows "Optimal Carry" numbers given a variety of swing speeds and at our SS, 270 is within range given a positive AoA. I'm jealous of your spin rates, as I've been working on the swing to bring down total spin. At my SS of 106-108, I see carry in the 255 range on well struck shots which is not optimal, but again I fight a negative 2-3* AoA and my spin numbers are high. Talk about a distance killer.

I've gotta be carrying in the 260 range, on course, at least. Home course's 17th is a dogleg right Par 5 over water. If you've got the guts to carry the water, and can carry between 245 and 265 depending on how far right you're willing to go, you can cut a big chunk and leave yourself a middle-short iron in on your 2nd. The longest carry distance I've shot with my laser was right around 265. I've hit a couple of blocks to that extreme right carry a few times, successfully, and have had as little as 139 into that green.