2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Skytrack

Bigmean

I read through some stuff here, but I am really close to getting this.

It seems like a lot has gotten better for it lately with TGC and their own driving range. So for an at home practice monitor that I will definitely make a home simulator because why not and that would be awesome, is there any compelling reason I should entertain spending $$$$ on a heavily used gc2 from goldsmiths going out of biz sale? For same price as what a gc2 will be, I can be 100% done with simulator setup and software. I get nothing is perfect and real world, but shouldn't skytrack be good enough to make practice at home reliable to get better?

All opinions welcome, and I know gc2 is better, but for this purpose is it worth the money for a heavily used unit better and why?

Thanks

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure yet, I am on a list.

This is a perfect example of what I read, but I guess specifically why? Everyone says like above, but I need reasons to formulate how much money it is worth to me I guess.

I am sure the unit is more commercial/well built, accuracy on internet things I have seen seems to be close enough for my purposes but of course gc2 better there, and I read that the software (not simulation) fo gc2 was 2 grand?? Also worried about the mileage on golfsmith units and flash replacement etc., these were on 24/7 basically.

I am going to get details on golfsmith gc2/software(Hopefully they sell the computers with each unit? This has been a weird/iron first liquidation and they are taking their time to unload and be a little unreasonable so far, he'll, they could tell me $6k for a beat up unit from what I have seen), so don't know cost yet, but I really am worried that say I can get it for say $3500 with software, I may open up an avalanche of spending with repair costs and everything needed to sim and $5k is still well over finished estimate of a skytrack studio with projector and TGC and all.... I just need to know hard differences that can help me determine at what point it is/isn't worth gc2. People that have skytrack seem to love it. Honestly the delay looks annoying as crap, but if that and has to be on the dot are the 2 places it sucks where it matters, I need to determine how much money that is worth. I know they didn't have their crap together in the beginning, but I am just trying to really weigh this right since it is a lot of coin either way.

I've heard some good things about SkyTrak, but, some of the issues I see people with still make it come off to me as being a bit "quirky" still. People say once you get it right, they are good, but I still see some people having issues getting them set up. No personal experience to give, just based off reading. I agree though, reviews have definitely gotten better as time has passed.

GC2 has a pretty good track record. In the limited experience I have had with them, they seem to be more user friendly to this point over what I've heard in comparison to SkyTrak, but can't personally compare.

As this point, I would lean towards GC2 just because I feel like I know what I'm getting. Still always a risk with the unit's being used, possibly dealing with repairs down the road, etc.

2024 Building In-progress

Qi10 Core Head 9* w/ AD-DI 6S  (I heart you AD DI and will never sway from you again)
Qi10 Tour 3W with shaft TBD
Callaway UW 17* with shaft TBD

Titleist TS2 19* Hybrid at 20* w/ PX Evenflow Blue 85 6.0

4-PW Srixon ZX7s w/ DG AMT White S300s
MG2 TW Grind 56/60 at 54/58
Spider Tour X3

I'm in the same boat as you. Been looking and researching for awhile now. Just haven't pulled the trigger. If I could get a heavy used gc2 for 2k I would pull the trigger. Don't think I would spend $3500 for one of the golfsmith ones. Just my thoughts. You can be patient and find a used gc2 for $3500 or less on eBay. My budget right now is $2000 so I'm hoping to find a good deal on one or just pull the trigger on a skytrak. Hoping my budget increases but that probably won't happen this year. Lol

Callaway Paradym TD Ventus 6S Black Velocore
TM Sim2 3 wood Tour AD DI 7x
TM Sim 5 wood Ventus Blue Velocore 8x
Mizuno JPX 923 Modus 120x 
Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide
Vokeys SM9 56,60

When is the PGA show?

Maybe I should wait and hold off, I technically don't really need this anytime, but it seemed like it would be fun with a net and ipad until I can transform my garage. I feel like this is really a difficult decision, because you want it to be right, if you have it, you want to have a realistic range experience, and you want to (or I definitely want to with my kids and with buddies) play sim games because why not if you are that deep, but I really am having a hard time gauging how to do this right, right meaning don't go overboard for thousands while getting back things I don't really need, but also not going too cheap to where the getup as a whole (projector, unit, system etc.) is like half assed or not really good. Just really hard because these things are closer than ever now, but still at costs that are fly above the wife's radar in a warning zone LOL. Which is cool, but it needs to be a can't miss when it is said and done. I have already been warming her up to the fact this is going down.

the es16 was the big thing that came out last year at the show and it still is flawed and not worth the cost they are asking.

You could likely buy a GC2 and have it refurbished for less than 4k total. If you have the extra money then that is the tried and true product.

I have a skytrak which I love just for reference.

If I could do that for $4k I would jump on it. Waiting to hear back from liquidation company, but finding a used Gc2 is like needle in a haystack.

I am starting think that patience needs to be a virtue with this. Trust me, I would rather a gc2 if I could, but once the cost starts becoming close to $7k finished my rational brain kicks in and really wons the argument that I don't need any of this at all.

You have skytrak, so I guess what about it do you think makes it not worth a hypothetical $4500 gc2 or $2800 difference if you don't mind?

From what I have read, people say the skytrack is accurate to 2-3% of a gc2, I don't need perfect, just need to make sure that it is consistant in its errors, and a draw is a draw and cut is a cut etc. the delay looks highly annoying, even though everyone says it isn't as bad as they thought getting it.

Thanks

I narrowed my decision to the same two choices and bought a new ST for $1700

I just couldn't justify paying 3x that for a used GC2 with no software

Now, if I found a nice used one for $3500, I might do that. But could someone point out the $3500-4000 GC2? You could probably sell a dozen of them right here.

Yes Bman, thank you as this is what I have heard and read but literally do not see even close to. I even contemplated negotiating buying all 8 GC2s from golfsmith liquidator and they could be done with it in one easy buyer/bulk deal and just sell 7 and see how I end up on the deal, but my wife is a little less adventurous and more risk averse and bringing home $35k in golf simulator investment may not go over very well at all.....and really, again, these are units that are 10-7 7 days a week being used and abused for 4 years at this location. So not like getting a home one with a few hundred hours....also the liquidator they are using is acting like they are just having a 30% off of retail sale until probably last week of December, they are in zero hurry to make a deal and trying to get all they can through holiday season.

So how do you like your skytrack? What are your chief complaints?

I wanted to like my skytrak but its was a complete POS. I had distance issues and even direction issues.

I started with distance issues starting with and 8i and progressivly worsened up to the driver. Once I started really testing that issue I found I would hit a draw off a mat outdoors and skytrak would everyonce in a while show it as a big slice. It also tended to exagerate slices and hooks more then the real ball flight. I sent it in for repair and after reading so many similar issues at the time I told them to keep it and refund me instead.

I ended up just getting a protee system. At the time they were the only way to play TGC and I enjoy playing golf more then driving range. so it was a no brainer.

I would recomend getting a GC2 if possible. It is worth the extra cost vs skytrak. Protee is great for playing golf but is a pain to setup and not portable at all.

GC2. has unofficial sim options that can cost less or not have the annual cost. The camera is more accurate and with skytrak you still get 1 in 20 random bad read's. GC2 tells you when it detects the ball and I like that feature. With skytrak you place and hope it catches it. Skytrak distances are better than they were 1 year ago and are very similar to GC2 so people that complain about that usually haven't tried recently or had a faulty unit or don't really know their numbers.

Golfsmith called me and offered a GC2 with computer, hitting mat, projector and screen for $7K. I assume the software is just the fitting software and range, I highly doubt they have a big course library. Seems a little too rich for my blood.

that is actually a reasonable deal.

new cost -estimate

gc2- 8k

computer 1k

projector 750

mat 400

screen 300

So how do you like your skytrack? What are your chief complaints?

If I could add software on my own, or use it as a standalone piece, I'd be happier. It has to be registered with Skytrak and signed into Skytrak to use it at all. And to use any sort of sim software you have to pay Skytrak a $99/yr fee. Plus the cost of the software. It just rubs me the wrong way.

I've posted before around here about my skytrak so maybe you've read my thoughts and this is beating a dead horse, but if not....

The concept and affordability of skytrak is amazing. The application is shaky, at best. I, although in the minority, am part of the group who returned their skytrak. To be specific, I returned it within 24 hours of receiving it.

It had a terribly long lag from my hit to showing on my iPad. Most only experience 3 seconds or so, but I easily hit 15 seconds and got as high as 30 seconds at times.

Worse yet was the accuracy. This isn't intended to be a brag so I'll avoid it as best as possible, but it's my theory that a higher swing speed is the achilles of skytrak. I have a pretty high swing speed, but am a pretty poor golfer. I shoot in the 90's-100 in a round so with all the swings I take, I promise you I am well versed in my distances. Starting at about a full 8 iron all the way to woods and driver, the issues in distance ranged from 12 to 35 yards. Yes; my average drive on the course compared to skytrak was 35 yards off. I made sure to tee the ball similarly, used the same ball, but had drastically different results.

Although affordable by comparison, it was really too bad. It wasn't more accurate than an opti shot to me, and those are 1500 less. If you're a slower swinger you'll have better results though.

I hope you guys post all your results including the satisfaction you have with what you end up with. I am thinking the same thing. But here is the deal. I have a Dicks right

next door. I have a optishot in my garage. The GC2 in the store is NOWHERE NEAR what I do on the course. First of all I slip all over the mat. I dont feel confident and I hit the ground behind the tee like 80% of the time. Recently I have been hitting the ball well on the course off the tee. Probably averaging around 240 with some big pokes in there of up to 275. But on the GC2 I am lucky to break 200 WITH ROLL! My swing speed on the GC2 is in the mid 90's now. But it shows a weak slice and it doesnt go anywhere. I went in on Friday to check against my Optishot. My swing speed went from the low 80s this spring to 105 this fall on the Optishot. When it was in the 80s it was in the 80s on the GC2 at Dicks. So when it went up this last week, the first time I checked it since I got my new driver (my swing speed went up because I am in much better shape now than this spring, NOT because of the new driver), and I havent been on the optishot for months. So I go into Dicks and it is up but its around 8 mph slower in the store than my garage. I can live with that. But I hit slice after slice on the GC2. I have hit a slice since August. I may PULL the ball left, I may cut it about 5 yards but on that mat on that GC2 its terrible.

I am 57 and I weigh 180 so I shouldnt be slipping on that big rubbery mat they have. BUT on the Optishot, my drives are much better and map whats been happening on the course BUT on the optishot my drives are around 285-300. SO I am confused and I dont know what to do at this point. I am a retired engineer and I can handle the techy part but at this stage I think the technology is not quite ready to go home for a decent price. I understand your thinking on getting a decent well thought of simulator/swing analyzer for a good price but it still is abit pricey for what I think you maybe getting. NOW how hard are the GC2s to setup and can we trust a soon-to-be or recent high school graduate to setup the machine correctly in Dicks? I dont know. But when I go to Golf Galaxy where they have the same setup the results arent that much different from Dicks and they have a pro there, but I was in there with a salesman on a different machine from the pro's setup.

When I went to get fitted for my new driver the Pro at that course had a portable GC2 ( I believe thats the same setup without the monitor and computer) and it was more accurate than the ones in the store. It showed me hitting after warm up around 255 and I could see the ball clearing the 200 yard marker well in the air.

The Optishot is not bad for a couple hundred dollars coupled with a old Big screen from the house. But right now I am waiting for a more accurate low cost setup for the common mans garage. And as a scientist I KNOW the technology is available and SHOULD be easy to do, I just dont know why everything is SO expensive and just not very accurate. It shouldnt be. Maybe I have to design it myself. When I worked for the military we had stuff that did exactly what this equipment is TRYING to do 25 years ago and yes THEN it was expensive, but back then GPS receivers were tens of thousands of dollars too and now its in your phone and watch. Laser Range finders were $20-30,000 and now they are a couple hundred. I guess the demand is just not that great yet for someone to figure this out for a reasonable price. Hell 30 years ago we were measuring tiny bullets traveling at 20 times the speed of a golf ball, along with the rotation of the round and its trajectory. This has already been done.

I believe the technology is going to change fast get much better and in 5 years everyone will have track mans in their garages. Thats why I hesitate to go overboard for something better than the cheapy optishot I have. Heck maybe I need to solve this myself. This should be less than a thousand dollars and more accurate than trackman is now.

But please post your results which ever way you go, because there are probably many more than just us thinking about it. My guess is that if you buy a skytrack and keep it you SHOULD be able to get all the updates that come out as they work the bugs out of it. Unfortunately industry has gotten rid of quality control and are using their customers to do testing that should have been done in the factory before it ever hits the shelves. We have a new dishwasher that is a year old now and has NEVER worked and Frigidaire just figured out the fix for it one year after we got it.

I don't think it has anything to do with swing speed. I swing at 108 mph with a driver and have no problems. My best friend swings at 125 mph and it's just as accurate. I'm about as serious about my game as anyone on the planet and there's not a chance in hell that I would use something that I didn't trust. My SkyTrak gives me the same info as I'm seeing on the range, it gave me the same info as FlightScope during my last clubfitting and it gave the same info as Trackman when I compared it during several lessons. I fully trust my SkyTrak and it's personally been a HUGE asset to my game. GC2 is also a great tool, but it's in a completely different price bracket. The OptiShot is a toy. As a previous owner, it was fun to play around before we had affordable options, but in no way, shape or form did I trust it to work on my game. No way. :fie:

The above mentioned poster who said he had 15 second display times. When was that and what device were you running it on? That's crazy high and is NOT the norm. That's the highest I've ever heard someone having even during the early release days when the software was horrible. Those early days gave SkyTrak a bad rap as far as display times, but those issues have been fixed. Here's mine from recently.

[media=]

[/media]

I agree with you about optishot. Thats why i havent been on it in months. The swing speed is only an example of a variable of the different information avaiable. i only trust the range, my pro and results. But I brought it up because in relative terms it showed and increase from the spring. So I went to Dicks to hit on the GC2. The point being that the GC2 at dicks in no way represents what I do on the course. And since Opti shot is a toy, I too am looking at Skytrac (optishot can however measure swing speed, with two rows of sensors swing speed is probably the easiest electronic measurement to make-Start time at the back row of sensors, Stop time at the front row of sensors-get result).

And from what I see of the GC2 I believe it Skytrac will be as good a tool as it gets better. But in my opinion we should have a GREAT tool for less than a $1000. I have a radar detector in my car that can tell me the frequency of the bogey, the number of bogeys and the direction of the bogeys for less than $400 10 years ago. Why does it cost $20,000 for a great ball launch analyzer ? This is stuff thats been measured for decades. The technology has been here for a long time. In a few years everyone will have the equivalent of a trackman for $500 as long as the demand is there.

I agree with you about optishot. Thats why i havent been on it in months. The swing speed is only an example of a variable of the different information avaiable. i only trust the range, my pro and results. But I brought it up because in relative terms it showed and increase from the spring. So I went to Dicks to hit on the GC2. The point being that the GC2 at dicks in no way represents what I do on the course. And since Opti shot is a toy, I too am looking at Skytrac (optishot can however measure swing speed, with two rows of sensors swing speed is probably the easiest electronic measurement to make-Start time at the back row of sensors, Stop time at the front row of sensors-get result).

And from what I see of the GC2 I believe it Skytrac will be as good a tool as it gets better. But in my opinion we should have a GREAT tool for less than a $1000. I have a radar detector in my car that can tell me the frequency of the bogey, the number of bogeys and the direction of the bogeys for less than $400 10 years ago. Why does it cost $20,000 for a great ball launch analyzer ? This is stuff thats been measured for decades. The technology has been here for a long time. In a few years everyone will have the equivalent of a trackman for $500 as long as the demand is there.

When you say that the GC2 at Dicks and other simulator issues don't represent what you do on the course, I think one thing that you need to consider is that many people swing differently indoors than we do outside. It took me nearly a month when I built my simulator to get past the mental barrier of being inside and my distances were easily 20 yards short of normal. Eventually, I got over it and there's no difference.

Swing speed would be nice, but you can add a swing speed meter for pretty cheap. I already owned one and it just sits next to my SkyTrak.

I also agree with you about the cost. It is ridiculous, but that's golf in general. The markup throughout the industry is crazy.

Just as a point of clarity, neither Skytrak nor GC2 (unless you're using HMT with the dots on your clubhead) measure clubhead speed. What is displayed is a calculation making assumptions about smash factor - bottom line it's a garbage number. I wish they didn't even display it.

If you want to compare use ball numbers (speed,launch,spin) while getting consistent strikes.

The above mentioned poster who said he had 15 second display times. When was that and what device were you running it on?

I bought it about a month ago, and was on my iPad. I didn't have a projector or anything, just connected via wifi network to my iPad. I called customer service and they said try cutting out the wifi and connecting directly. That didn't work. They had me do some software re-install. That did work...it cut about 1 second off. Then they said maybe I had a lemon for a device, but I had to pay for shipping on the new device and shipping the old one back. Wasn't interested in that run around and just sent it back.

The CS wasn't the best but wasn't the worst. The lag time was annoying, but I too am serious about improving my game so I would have even lived with that. The numbers were just awful. I re-confirmed when I played a round just a couple days after sending it back. I had all my averages with Skytrak written down and went to the course. I was swinging full swings as usual but trusting the Skytrak's numbers for my club selection and I was always 1, sometimes 2 clubs too long. It was just incredibly, way too far off.

i had a opp to buy a GC2 for $4,300 that had just been refurbished (i think they replace a light bulb of sorts for the camera, but not 100% sure) and i still chose the Skytrak when it was first released. They had a deal at the time for $1,500. Over the last few years I've had few if any complaints. I haven't had any of the problems some guys have reported. Quite frankly I've had the opposite experience. The software they released originally was buggy, but not terrible. People complained about the customer service but I haven't had any problems and if you look at the golf simulator forum there was a guy there that worked for Skytrak that literally answered ever question and concern people had. I thought it was impressive. The current software and unit work great imo. I get lessons at a place that uses GC2 and my ball flight and distances are basically the same. I'd recommend it to anyone. I realize there's no club head data but after working with it for awhile you get to know your start lines, spin and launch angles. By feel you should know if you hit it off the heel, toe or low on the face. I believe the GC2 measures the ball the same way, it photographs it a couple times and runs that data though a software program. With that in mind the ball data should be similar. My HC keeps dropping, i beat my dad for the first time ever a couple weeks back, he pushing 80 but whatever, probably part of the satisfaction with the unit.