2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Skytrack

Bigmean

Don't buy that BMW, I predict Ferraris will be coming down in price in a few years

That's a flawed analogy. Do people who buy 30k Trackmans take them down the street to pick up chicks? Lol

In all seriousness, it's already happening with Skytrak. It's ball measurements are just as good as a GC2 at about a third of the price. That BMW is performing as well as the Ferrari so unless you want a chick magnet why not get the BMW?

What reason is there not to expect a Skytrak that can measure clubhead and ball to be a third of the price of a GC2 with HMT in a few years? Electronics is not the same as luxury cars that pander to the ego of the rich.

I'm sure he is just looking at the past history of the industry. People have been making your prediction for awhile. It just hasn't materialized. I mean i feel like the mean price of used GC2's has gone from low to mid $3k's to high $5k's. Used, and this is just over the past two years that I have been paying attention. I mean people are listing super used Golfsmith units for about $600 less than new!!!! You can still find Vector Pro's selling on the bay for $3-500 , a unit that has zero support and 10yr old software.

Yet people keep looking at their cell phones and comparing them to home launch monitors and expecting a similar tech and price revolution. I wouldn't hold your breath. And the best advice I've seen from multiple posters that I respect is ; don't wait, buy something, you won't regret it and if you do you will be able to sell it quickly with little to no loss.

G425 Max 9*o w/ RIP Beta
TEE CBX19 16.5*
Sub70 699U 19.5*
P770 5-P
Exo #7

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I simply don't believe these launch monitors are worth it for the technology you are getting besides the Skytrak. What is inside a 30k Trackman? A Doppler radar that's 50 year old technology and some electronics inside a plastic box. The 8k GC2 is the same but instead of a Doppler radar you get a high speed camera that a smartphone has these days. Ok, the camera might be a bit better than one in a smartphone but you get the gist.

I'm pretty sure a company like Skytrak will have a similar performing unit to the GC2 with HMT for a fraction of the cost very soon. At least as a consumer I hope it happens.

I simply don't believe these launch monitors are worth it for the technology you are getting besides the Skytrak. What is inside a 30k Trackman? A Doppler radar that's 50 year old technology and some electronics inside a plastic box. The 8k GC2 is the same but instead of a Doppler radar you get a high speed camera that a smartphone has these days. Ok, the camera might be a bit better than one in a smartphone but you get the gist.

I'm pretty sure a company like Skytrak will have a similar performing unit to the GC2 with HMT for a fraction of the cost very soon. At least as a consumer I hope it happens.

I have to agree that these could be made for much less. But there just isn't a market with enough demand to have someone big come in and streamline the manufacturing process. These are also devices that need a high level of quality control and I am sure calibration. You can't make knock offs and write software updates and support them.

I agree with you about optishot. Thats why i havent been on it in months. The swing speed is only an example of a variable of the different information avaiable. i only trust the range, my pro and results. But I brought it up because in relative terms it showed and increase from the spring. So I went to Dicks to hit on the GC2. The point being that the GC2 at dicks in no way represents what I do on the course. And since Opti shot is a toy, I too am looking at Skytrac (optishot can however measure swing speed, with two rows of sensors swing speed is probably the easiest electronic measurement to make-Start time at the back row of sensors, Stop time at the front row of sensors-get result).

And from what I see of the GC2 I believe it Skytrac will be as good a tool as it gets better. But in my opinion we should have a GREAT tool for less than a $1000. I have a radar detector in my car that can tell me the frequency of the bogey, the number of bogeys and the direction of the bogeys for less than $400 10 years ago. Why does it cost $20,000 for a great ball launch analyzer ? This is stuff thats been measured for decades. The technology has been here for a long time. In a few years everyone will have the equivalent of a trackman for $500 as long as the demand is there.

When you say that the GC2 at Dicks and other simulator issues don't represent what you do on the course, I think one thing that you need to consider is that many people swing differently indoors than we do outside. It took me nearly a month when I built my simulator to get past the mental barrier of being inside and my distances were easily 20 yards short of normal. Eventually, I got over it and there's no difference.

Swing speed would be nice, but you can add a swing speed meter for pretty cheap. I already owned one and it just sits next to my SkyTrak.

I also agree with you about the cost. It is ridiculous, but that's golf in general. The markup throughout the industry is crazy.

I still can't get my driver swing to go as hard as outdoors. The mental block is a real thing and you watch every new person who tries hesitate when they first hit.

I agree with you about optishot. Thats why i havent been on it in months. The swing speed is only an example of a variable of the different information avaiable. i only trust the range, my pro and results. But I brought it up because in relative terms it showed and increase from the spring. So I went to Dicks to hit on the GC2. The point being that the GC2 at dicks in no way represents what I do on the course. And since Opti shot is a toy, I too am looking at Skytrac (optishot can however measure swing speed, with two rows of sensors swing speed is probably the easiest electronic measurement to make-Start time at the back row of sensors, Stop time at the front row of sensors-get result).

And from what I see of the GC2 I believe it Skytrac will be as good a tool as it gets better. But in my opinion we should have a GREAT tool for less than a $1000. I have a radar detector in my car that can tell me the frequency of the bogey, the number of bogeys and the direction of the bogeys for less than $400 10 years ago. Why does it cost $20,000 for a great ball launch analyzer ? This is stuff thats been measured for decades. The technology has been here for a long time. In a few years everyone will have the equivalent of a trackman for $500 as long as the demand is there.

When you say that the GC2 at Dicks and other simulator issues don't represent what you do on the course, I think one thing that you need to consider is that many people swing differently indoors than we do outside. It took me nearly a month when I built my simulator to get past the mental barrier of being inside and my distances were easily 20 yards short of normal. Eventually, I got over it and there's no difference.

Swing speed would be nice, but you can add a swing speed meter for pretty cheap. I already owned one and it just sits next to my SkyTrak.

I also agree with you about the cost. It is ridiculous, but that's golf in general. The markup throughout the industry is crazy.

I still can't get my driver swing to go as hard as outdoors. The mental block is a real thing and you watch every new person who tries hesitate when they first hit.

I've done mine inside the garage and outside (SkyTrak for the unitiated). I did this quickly last night testing out a driver and didn't have my mat secured to the ground and it was inside my garage in a 25 degree night in Ohio. Even as a seasoned user I think my numbers are anywhere between 3-5% lower carry on normal swings with driver inside than outside (although I was hitting in a 40 degree garage so numbers would be lower anyways). It's not the machines fault it's user apprehension. I'm usually a bit longer than this on good strikes outside with the machine. Outside ball speed is in the 170s. For some reason I also tend to have a steeper AoA with in indoors vs outdoors with driver and it gives me higher spin numbers - not sure why I do that but its mental. f0c206e854ee4cfd5d469b9e1bba3383.jpg

Cobra LTD Pro Matrix Ozik 75M4 Black Tie Xflex
TaylorMade TP R15 3W Fuji Speeder TS 8.3 Xflex
TaylorMade TP R15 20* Fuji Speeder 869 TS Xflex
Mizuno JPX-900 Tour 4-PW KBS CTaper Xflex
Mizuno T7 50,54,58 KBS CTaper Xflex
OdysseyWorks 38" 2 Ball Fang

With such a limited market I would guess limited inventory as well. So the only way to get one at a fraction of the cost might be when the new models are released and you catch the inventory being cleared off.

Ping G30 Sl-Tec
TM R11 PW-4I
Scor 52-56
Odyssey Versa 7

Something may be coming out in Q1 that gives clubhead data with skytrak. More than likely the skypro device that is somehow coupled into the skytrak software.

This will be interesting but it won't be anything like Trackman - the image captioning systems aren't near as sophisticated. You can already get club data with SkyPro, and I would argue it's not very accurate, but getting image capture club head "data" is going to be impossible with their hardware setup as is

If you got this info off of golfsimulator forum I'd take that info with a grain of salt. What "SkyTrak" user says on there usually comes true....at some point

Cobra LTD Pro Matrix Ozik 75M4 Black Tie Xflex
TaylorMade TP R15 3W Fuji Speeder TS 8.3 Xflex
TaylorMade TP R15 20* Fuji Speeder 869 TS Xflex
Mizuno JPX-900 Tour 4-PW KBS CTaper Xflex
Mizuno T7 50,54,58 KBS CTaper Xflex
OdysseyWorks 38" 2 Ball Fang

With such a limited market I would guess limited inventory as well. So the only way to get one at a fraction of the cost might be when the new models are released and you catch the inventory being cleared off.

Well the Skytrak at 2k is already a fraction of the GC2 at 7k. The HMT is another 7k so if Skytrak was to release something similar to an HMT it would be around 2k.That's 4k total for Skytrak versus 14k for the foresight. That's already a fraction of the price. I don't see Skytrak getting much cheaper than 3 or 4k due to the limited market of launch monitors but for an accurate unit in my opinion that's reasonable and I would probably get one.

Well the Skytrak at 2k is already a fraction of the GC2 at 7k. The HMT is another 7k so if Skytrak was to release something similar to an HMT it would be around 2k.That's 4k total for Skytrak versus 14k for the foresight. That's already a fraction of the price. I don't see Skytrak getting much cheaper than 3 or 4k due to the limited market of launch monitors but for an accurate unit in my opinion that's reasonable and I would probably get one.

You can already buy a flightscope that measures all that for $4k on the secondary market.

You can already buy a flightscope that measures all that for $4k on the secondary market.

I would prefer a camera based system as I would be using it mainly indoors. I also like how HMT can monitor off center strikes, something radar based systems can't see. Can Trackman or Flightscope calculate where you hit the ball on the clubface from the ball flight?

I would prefer a camera based system as I would be using it mainly indoors. I also like how HMT can monitor off center strikes, something radar based systems can't see. Can Trackman or Flightscope calculate where you hit the ball on the clubface from the ball flight?

The new flightscope can measure where you hit the ball on the face