What's Hogan's secret again?

oscar@wrx

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Base of right palm is actually off the left hand. Plus that's bit late, already in transition. Right before reaching the top or exactly on top it usually is off.

However, I think Hogan pauses the right hand and keeps the right wrist bent back in transition up to the slot (shaft parallel). It has the effect of extensor action, sort of. But I think Hogan's main control is the left arm, and he keeps it attached to the chest and continues to push the club. This is very consistent and productive when combined with a turn of the hips in transition. Gets you down to the slot automatically without losing the c0ck. You lay off too if change of direction is fast or sudden enough

Base of right palm is actually off the left hand. Plus that's bit late, already in transition. Right before reaching the top or exactly on top it usually is off.

However, I think Hogan pauses the right hand and keeps the right wrist bent back in transition up to the slot (shaft parallel). It has the effect of extensor action, sort of. But I think Hogan's main control is the left arm, and he keeps it attached to the chest and continues to push the club. This is very consistent and productive when combined with a turn of the hips in transition. Gets you down to the slot automatically without losing the c0ck. You lay off too if change of direction is fast or sudden enough

Funny how two individuals can look at a piece of art and see two entirely different things! lol.

In that pic I see the base of his right palm pad (think bottom of the lifeline) pushing against the outside of the base knuckle of the left thumb ... that pressure helps bend the right wrist and flatten the left and solidify the reversal of the hand windings (right CCW to CW, left CW to CCW).

Funny how two individuals can look at a piece of art and see two entirely different things! lol.

In that pic I see the base of his right palm pad (think bottom of the lifeline) pushing against the outside of the base knuckle of the left thumb ... that pressure helps bend the right wrist and flatten the left and solidify the reversal of the hand windings (right CCW to CW, left CW to CCW).

Well, what I see is I can still see the bottom of the right palm. The base of the left thumb is actually on the muscular pad of the right palm below the right little finger. Take a look again.

Or, try yourself and do right arm extensor action. It won't look like that picture of Hogan. If you do right arm extensor action, the bottomest of the right palm will definitely be TOUCHING the base of left thumb. Not in Hogan's.

I think right arm extensor action being Hogan is a myth. First, Five Lessons clearly said inner muscles. Right arm extensor action cannot be inner muscles.

Second, the Hogan video wherein Hogan explains to Burke, Jr. the right arm folding up doesn't conclusively prove that Hogan is doing the swing via right arm extensor action. Hogan could have just been explaining that the right arm should fold up like that in response or to accommodate the left arm attaching to the chest and left wrist cocking with left arm that low relative to the right arm and shoulder.

Third, right arm extensor action would mean that the left arm is stretched, which will always make the left arm bounce in transition, like stretching a rubber band. It also requires the left arm to be inert, which means you cannot use your left elbow to control the clubface like what John Schlee and Tom Bertrand say.

Fourth, there are numerous Hogan pictures where Hogan's right palm is completely off the left thumb before reaching the top. The picture above is already past top, by that time Hogan is already holding off his right wrist, hand and arm.

Nice discussion though

Well, what I see is I can still see the bottom of the right palm. The base of the left thumb is actually on the muscular pad of the right palm below the right little finger. Take a look again.

Or, try yourself and do right arm extensor action. It won't look like that picture of Hogan. If you do right arm extensor action, the bottomest of the right palm will definitely be TOUCHING the base of left thumb. Not in Hogan's.

I think right arm extensor action being Hogan is a myth. First, Five Lessons clearly said inner muscles. Right arm extensor action cannot be inner muscles.

Second, the Hogan video wherein Hogan explains to Burke, Jr. the right arm folding up doesn't conclusively prove that Hogan is doing the swing via right arm extensor action. Hogan could have just been explaining that the right arm should fold up like that in response or to accommodate the left arm attaching to the chest and left wrist cocking with left arm that low relative to the right arm and shoulder.

Third, right arm extensor action would mean that the left arm is stretched, which will always make the left arm bounce in transition, like stretching a rubber band. It also requires the left arm to be inert, which means you cannot use your left elbow to control the clubface like what John Schlee and Tom Bertrand say.

Fourth, there are numerous Hogan pictures where Hogan's right palm is completely off the left thumb before reaching the top. The picture above is already past top, by that time Hogan is already holding off his right wrist, hand and arm.

Nice discussion though

Oscar, again you might be reading more into my post than what I have actually written. I made no reference to "extensor action" ... like I've said before I'll leave that one for you and AC to argue. I gave my 1980's copy of the little yellow book to a friend several years ago. LOL.

My contention is that Hogan applied pressure from his left hand into a resisting right hand in the takeaway and he reversed that pressure in transition. So in the DS, the right hand is now applying pressure into the left. There is a rotation component to that pressure where opposite forces are counterbalancing the primary forces ... all designed to create "neutral" through the impact zone. The pressures are applied through the BASE of the left thumb, the CMC joint (not the MCP joint, which you might have been interpreting as the base) and the base of the right palm pad below the little finger (you are correct, sir!)

image_zpsgvc4adsw.jpeg

I agree that Hogan's right palm appears to come off of the left thumb in transition ... as I explained before, that's consistent with the process of reversing the hand windings. Not arguing the second and third points as again I'm not defending some else's extensor action argument.

Cheers!

Nice discussion though

Oscar, again you might be reading more into my post than what I have actually written. I made no reference to "extensor action" ... like I've said before I'll leave that one for you and AC to argue. I gave my 1980's copy of the little yellow book to a friend several years ago. LOL.

My contention is that Hogan applied pressure from his left hand into a resisting right hand in the takeaway and he reversed that pressure in transition. So in the DS, the right hand is now applying pressure into the left. There is a rotation component to that pressure where opposite forces are counterbalancing the primary forces ... all designed to create "neutral" through the impact zone. The pressures are applied through the BASE of the left thumb, the CMC joint (not the MCP joint, which you might have been interpreting as the base) and the base of the right palm pad below the little finger (you are correct, sir!)

image_zpsgvc4adsw.jpeg

I agree that Hogan's right palm appears to come off of the left thumb in transition ... as I explained before, that's consistent with the process of reversing the hand windings. Not arguing the second and third points as again I'm not defending some else's extensor action argument.

Cheers!

Yes, I know, I understand you. Just want to mix in right arm extensor action in the discussion and impliedly referring to AC's point.

Re your point only, can the results you achieve with your method be also achieved by just keeping right wrist bent back from top and pushing the left hand, arm and shoulder from top? Compared to your method, I think this one may have an advantage of keeping left shoulder from opening up too much (thus saving shoulder rotation for later) and keeping left arm attached to chest (for use later also by shoulder rotation).

What do you think? Have you tried this before?

Nice discussion though

image_zpsgvc4adsw.jpeg

Cheers!

Yes, I know, I understand you. Just want to mix in right arm extensor action in the discussion and impliedly referring to AC's point.

Re your point only, can the results you achieve with your method be also achieved by just keeping right wrist bent back from top and pushing the left hand, arm and shoulder from top? Compared to your method, I think this one may have an advantage of keeping left shoulder from opening up too much (thus saving shoulder rotation for later) and keeping left arm attached to chest (for use later also by shoulder rotation).

What do you think? Have you tried this before?

Yes, I've experimented with your left arm action, but found that it did not guarantee proper right or left arm behavior/travel in the DS ... maybe it's just my issue. Winding the entire right arm clockwise in transition and the DS from the player's perspective accomplishes several things ... an externally rotated right shoulder/humerus, right forearm supination, closed shouldersi, right side bend and an inside approach. It also creates some separation from the left humerus and chest allowing for better left arm travel and direction ... as the left arm begins to try to supinate in earnest from delivery to impact, the left humerus reattached more tightly to the chest and catches the pivot.

Look at any FO pic of Hogan even back to the 1930's at P6 and you will see right shoulder/humerus ER and right forearm supination. Fact is no amount of left arm action can guarantee that!

Yes, I've experimented with your left arm action, but found that it did not guarantee proper right or left arm behavior/travel in the DS ... maybe it's just my issue. Winding the entire right arm clockwise in transition and the DS from the player's perspective accomplishes several things ... an externally rotated right shoulder/humerus, right forearm supination, closed shouldersi, right side bend and an inside approach. It also creates some separation from the left humerus and chest allowing for better left arm travel and direction ... as the left arm begins to try to supinate in earnest from delivery to impact, the left humerus reattached more tightly to the chest and catches the pivot.

Look at any FO pic of Hogan even back to the 1930's at P6 and you will see right shoulder/humerus ER and right forearm supination. Fact is no amount of left arm action can guarantee that!

Yes, left arm action can guarantee that if the right wrist is simply bent back. If bent back, the right wrist is like an oily hinge that can supinate freely. Just keep pushing the left hand and trying to get the left arm attached to chest (intent or feel, left arm will detach a bit going down to the slot) will make the right wrist go from less supinated on top to more supinated going down to the slot. Then all fires from there--shoulders, left arm, right arm, left hand, right hand...like the 2 handed basketball pass

Yes, left arm action can guarantee that if the right wrist is simply bent back. If bent back, the right wrist is like an oily hinge that can supinate freely. Just keep pushing the left hand and trying to get the left arm attached to chest (intent or feel, left arm will detach a bit going down to the slot) will make the right wrist go from less supinated on top to more supinated going down to the slot. Then all fires from there--shoulders, left arm, right arm, left hand, right hand...like the 2 handed basketball pass

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree that your left arm action and bent right wrist guarantee pitch elbow ... I can do what you say and get into punch. That's the problem ... left arm cannot dictate right arm rotation or keep the right elbow from flying out. This is due to wrist hinging being entirely independent from forearm rotation and the hands being able to move independently on the handle.

But glad you found something that works for you!

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree that your left arm action and bent right wrist guarantee pitch elbow ... I can do what you say and get into punch. That's the problem ... left arm cannot dictate right arm rotation or keep the right elbow from flying out, regardless of right wrist articulations because the hands can move independently on the handle as you previously pointed out with the example of the right palm pad.

It can ensure pitch elbow. Because when you keep the right wrist bent back, right elbow has to be bent in what you call pitch elbow (right elbow forward?). If right elbow is behind, right wrist has to unbend at least a bit

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree that your left arm action and bent right wrist guarantee pitch elbow ... I can do what you say and get into punch. That's the problem ... left arm cannot dictate right arm rotation or keep the right elbow from flying out, regardless of right wrist articulations because the hands can move independently on the handle as you previously pointed out with the example of the right palm pad.

It can ensure pitch elbow. Because when you keep the right wrist bent back, right elbow has to be bent in what you call pitch elbow (right elbow forward?). If right elbow is behind, right wrist has to unbend at least a bit

No, because humerus rotation is what moves the elbow forward and it has absolutely NOTHING to do with wrist extension!

No, because humerus rotation is what moves the elbow forward and it has absolutely NOTHING to do with wrist extension!

You're right. I'm just saying all you have to think about or feel is right wrist fully bent back in transition. Automatically externally rotates the right shoulder in transition. Right arm just follows what the left hand does. If left hand rotates clockwise in transition because it continues to push, humerus rotates clockwise too.

Hogan also said to keep right humerus attached to side of the chest. So that alone keeps right elbow in (pitch)

When Hogan said reverse every instinct he was talking to you.

AC

When Hogan said reverse every instinct he was talking to you.

AC

Yeah, mind conditioning really works--Gobbels

Right arm extensor action are for folks who cannot c0ck their left wrist enough and long enough

Another random idea?

Is it? I don't think so. I think the right arm extensor action IS the random idea.

And here I am explaining why. And the reason is the same objective wanted to be reached by folks who likes float loading. It is to keep the left wrist c0ck longer and from uncocking it early.

This is achieved via right arm extensor action because it gets the base of the right palm pushing or pressuring on the base of the left thumb, which gets the left wrist cocked fully, so you get to c0ck the club more and longer. For some people who have difficulty getting the club to c0ck to 90 degrees (like Homer Kelly) or to keep it in transition, this is necessary. The other alternative, as I mentioned, is float loading, which involves too much timing. So some folks invented extensor action. Some folks need these because their left arm is a rope or inert.

Extensor action is totally unnecessary, as all you need to do is activate your left arm (not inert) and keep pushing the club with the left hand and keep pressuring the base of left thumb with the right palm and last 3 fingers of the right hand. You don't need to pull the left arm, only if you use a rope or inert left arm.

So right arm extensor action is the random idea, actually. Necessary with a rope left arm only, which is also a random idea, obviously

Right arm extensor action are for folks who cannot c0ck their left wrist enough and long enough

Another random idea?

Is it? I don't think so. I think the right arm extensor action IS the random idea.

And here I am explaining why. And the reason is the same objective wanted to be reached by folks who likes float loading. It is to keep the left wrist c0ck longer and from uncocking it early.

This is achieved via right arm extensor action because it gets the base of the right palm pushing or pressuring on the base of the left thumb, which gets the left wrist cocked fully, so you get to c0ck the club more and longer. For some people who have difficulty getting the club to c0ck to 90 degrees (like Homer Kelly) or to keep it in transition, this is necessary. The other alternative, as I mentioned, is float loading, which involves too much timing. So some folks invented extensor action. Some folks need these because their left arm is a rope or inert.

Extensor action is totally unnecessary, as all you need to do is activate your left arm (not inert) and keep pushing the club with the left hand and keep pressuring the base of left thumb with the right palm and last 3 fingers of the right hand. You don't need to pull the left arm, only if you use a rope or inert left arm.

So right arm extensor action is the random idea, actually. Necessary with a rope left arm only, which is also a random idea, obviously

At least for me, find it much easier to unload or square up later in the downswing with right arm extensor action, because right hand is closer to the club center of mass. It's exaggerated but think of split grip/hockey style swing. LH palm acts as the pivot center and RH extensor action provides thrust. Right palm pressure on the grip is definitely non zero at transition, but it's sharply increasing throughout the downswing (three RH).

Another random idea?

At least for me, find it much easier to unload or square up later in the downswing with right arm extensor action, because right hand is closer to the club center of mass. It's exaggerated but think of split grip/hockey style swing. LH palm acts as the pivot center and RH extensor action provides thrust. Right palm pressure on the grip is definitely non zero at transition, but it's sharply increasing throughout the downswing (three RH).

In downswing I also think right arm extensor action (as defined by TGM) is a bad idea. Keeping the right wrist bent back and holding on with the last 2 fingers of right hand is a better idea, I believe. Pulling the left arm will not get you to the slot consistently as it gets left arm too far off the chest