Looking to join a CC in Philadelphia

jrengler

Hey All,

Looking for reccomendations on a private club to join in the Philadelphia area. Live in the southern part of the City and relatively close to highways and bridges. Ideally someplace for me to play weekends and for wife and daughter to take part in pool or other social activities. Recommendations and other feedback appreciated.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No pool, but location wise Rolling Green would be perfect, and they're actively looking for new members, offering some pretty attractive rates at the moment, from what I understand.

Cobra King Speedzone 10.5°, HZRDUS Small Batch Smoke Green 60 6.5

Cobra King Speedzone Big Tour 13°, HZRDUS Small Batch Smoke Green 70 6.5
Titleist 818H2 19° MCA Tensei Pro White 90X
PXG 0311T Gen2, 4-6, Project X 6.5
TaylorMade Milled Grind 2 Raw: 54.11, DG Tour Issue S400
TaylorMade Milled Grind Hi-Toe Raw: 60.12, 64.12, DG Tour Issue S400
Scotty Cameron T22 Newport 2

Woodcrest is right over the bridge in cherry hill. 15-20 min drive from south philly.

Pool, tennis, golf. Great family atmosphere.

Shoot me a PM with any questions

Titleist Ts2 10.5* GD DI 6x
Titliest 915 5w 18* GD DI 7x
Callaway Apex 23*h Oban Devotion 
Callaway Apex 26*h GD DI 85x
Srixon 785 6-PW Nippon 105 Modus
Titleist SM7 50*, 54*, 58* Nippon 115 Modus 
Odyssey #7 Plumber Neck 
2018 Taylormade tp5

https://www.instagram.com/benzoducky/ 

Another vote for Llanerch. Fantastic golf course, great membership from everything I've heard and seen. I've played there 4-5 times over the past couple of years and it's always been in phenomenal shape. Plus they have all the amenities of your classic country club for the family.

I live about 5 minutes from Radley Run and can tell you it'd be a haul from South Philly to get there, at least 35 mins. If you're willing to drive though, there are better options available in that radius. White Manor comes to mind. It's in Malvern and again, has all the country club amenities and is another absolutely fantastic course. Close by there you've also got Waynesborough, which will be a little pricier, but is an exceptional facility as well. Not far off 95 is a course no one talks about much called Biderman. It's absolutely amazing, one of my favorites anywhere. The golf course sits on one side of Rt. 52 and the Tennis/Raquets facilities and pool sit on the other side of Rt. 52 a few miles away at "Vicmead Hunt Club", but you can't join Biderman without joining Vicmead, so you'd get all the facilities as well.

I found Tavistock underwhelming, but that's just my personal opinion.

Ping G 10.5 Tour 65s
Ping G 14.5 Tour 80x
Titleist 716 T-MB 3 Iron AD DI 95x
Ping Anser Forged Project X 6.0
Ping Glide 50*SS, 54*SS, 58*SS Project X 6.0
Odyssey Versa 2-Ball

Take a look a Philadelphia Cricket. Their main course has been getting a lot of positive attention since a recent renovation. Some are even going as far as calling it the best in the Philly area.

Great course yes, but a miserable drive from South Philly.

Ping G 10.5 Tour 65s
Ping G 14.5 Tour 80x
Odyssey Versa 2-Ball

Thanks everyone. I've thought about raising the distance I'm willing to travel, and would love feedback on Huntingdon Valley and Philmont. Philmont has a pretty great deal right now and Huntingdon Valley just looks great. I love Rolling Green but my wife is looking for social activities beYond golf (I.e. Pool) so it's been harder to justify RGGC.

HVCC is a bog boys golf course. They like to keep it firm and fast. Very difficult track, and nary a flat lie to be found. I think they have a caddie requirement on the weekends. Not positive but I think I remember my caddie telling me that last time I was there. Lots of members and lots of really good players out there as well. Haven't explored the facilities too much in my time there but they look nice at a glance.

Can't speak to Philmont as I've never been there.

Ping G 10.5 Tour 65s
Ping G 14.5 Tour 80x
Odyssey Versa 2-Ball

HVCC is a great course and a great club...but you will be paying a high price for it. Philmont is the most underrated courses in the Philly area. It is a great Flynn design. They do plan to sell 9 holes of the South course but they will keep 27 holes. I believe they are going to do a bunker restoration next year.

Huntington valley is easily a 50 minute drive AT BEST from south Philly.

Titleist Ts2 10.5* GD DI 6x
Titliest 915 5w 18* GD DI 7x
Callaway Apex 23*h Oban Devotion 
Callaway Apex 26*h GD DI 85x
Srixon 785 6-PW Nippon 105 Modus
Titleist SM7 50*, 54*, 58* Nippon 115 Modus 
Odyssey #7 Plumber Neck 
2018 Taylormade tp5

https://www.instagram.com/benzoducky/ 

Philmont's North course is decent but some holes need massive tree removal. It is a historically Jewish club but has become more diverse in recent years. If you want to play after work during the week, forget any commute to a club that involves I-76. Sunnybrook is also a very solid course, probably one of the more difficult courses designed by the Gordons, but forget about getting in there unless you are a blueblood and/or know current members.

Sunnybrook you actually have to be a member at another private club to even be considered for membership. The only guy I've met that belonged there was also a member at Merion.

Ping G 10.5 Tour 65s
Ping G 14.5 Tour 80x
Odyssey Versa 2-Ball

Philmont's North course is decent but some holes need massive tree removal. It is a historically Jewish club but has become more diverse in recent years. If you want to play after work during the week, forget any commute to a club that involves I-76. Sunnybrook is also a very solid course, probably one of the more difficult courses designed by the Gordons, but forget about getting in there unless you are a blueblood and/or know current members.

They have cut down many trees over the years. Which holes need "massive" tree removal?

They have cut down many trees over the years. Which holes need "massive" tree removal?

1, 2, 9, 10, 18.

Bala golf club is another one. It is close to center city.

I want to like Bala, but can't. It's just a tiny, short course. A few great holes, and a number of others that don't quite fit the bill.

Isn't Bala like 5300 yards from the Men's tees?

Ping G 10.5 Tour 65s
Ping G 14.5 Tour 80x
Odyssey Versa 2-Ball

1, 2, 9, 10, 18.

I definitely don't agree with that.

1, 2, 9, 10, 18.

I definitely don't agree with that.

Between the tree roots, shale and lack of sunlight, they can't grow grass. They could take down half of the trees on those holes and there would be little change in how those holes were played.

1, 2, 9, 10, 18.

These are exactly the holes I was thinking of. #9, you go 5 feet off the fairway and you're in the trees. And since the ground is so hard because the trees suck up the water, your ball will probably roll into the trees.

I'd avoid Philmont. I was there over the summer and it just felt... like something was off. I could completely foresee them selling the South Course, or at least chunks of it and downsizing to 27. Additionally, I found the course a little boring (maybe just too traditional?) Also, the trip there will get obnoxious from S Philly.

HVCC is fine, but pricey.

Union League/Torresdale is great if you can find a way to get on the list. They totally overhauled the old Frankford/Torresdale course and building. It's not a terrible drive from S Philly there, especially since if you are playing during the day it is largely a reverse commute.

Bala is short, avoid.

Llanerch and Rolling Green are very nice, I think RG might have a slight edge on the course side.

What about Edgemont? I've never been, but I know its in that vicinity.

I'd avoid Philmont. I was there over the summer and it just felt... like something was off. I could completely foresee them selling the South Course, or at least chunks of it and downsizing to 27. Additionally, I found the course a little boring (maybe just too traditional?) Also, the trip there will get obnoxious from S Philly.

HVCC is fine, but pricey.

Union League/Torresdale is great if you can find a way to get on the list. They totally overhauled the old Frankford/Torresdale course and building. It's not a terrible drive from S Philly there, especially since if you are playing during the day it is largely a reverse commute.

Bala is short, avoid.

Llanerch and Rolling Green are very nice, I think RG might have a slight edge on the course side.

What about Edgemont? I've never been, but I know its in that vicinity.

Edgemont is closed, never opened for the 2016 season.

They did have a deal with Toll Brothers to sell off 9 holes for housing in 2014 but it fell through. I think they had made one or two prior attempts in previous years but it just died.