PXG 0311 or 0311t Long term review

Techgolfer1

Lets hear from you guys on some of your longterm thoughts on either of these. I can play either as I have liked both the i and s models in Ping. No need to mention cost or bash people who paid for them. I know how much they cost and I can sell stuff to get them if they are as good as I think they are. I am trying to decide if I want to get these or go with the Ping i200 when they come out. I have hit these but only into a monitor with Trackman and not outside.

My concerns are this. How are the clubs wearing? I know they are soft.

Do you feel like your dispersion has been helped with these compared to what you played in the past? I have a friend who played blades and went to the t model. The fitter showed him how much more consistent he was with these over his Titleist blades.

Do you feel as if they are as forgiving as advertised?

How is the turf interaction for you?

I feel like most of the data I have seen on the internet indicates that these spin slightly less and launch less than competitor clubs up against them. Are you having any trouble with spin or distance control?

Anything else you can provide is much appreciated. If you feel more comfortable PM'ing me then go ahead.

I change too much to list it. Working on that...

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't play them, and to be completely honest I think they are a huge hoax as I have a pretty rough idea on what they actually cost and you are primarily paying their marketing team and tour players with your money, with that said,

The wear I have seen on sets that have been played for a solid season is very minimal as they are not all that soft, most of the feel you get comes from the injected polymer. Not sure on the black sets and how the finish wears though.

As far as consistency, I have heard 2 different stories from clubfitters. One is that they are as consistent as anything else, 2 is that they will produce some inconsistencies on distance. I think this all comes down to the fitting process and finding the proper shaft to match the clubhead. I would not read to much into what you read or hear on this until you can see for yourself.

Yes, they are more forgiving than some of their counterparts, the advantage to the "hollow" club design is you get better numbers across a larger percentage of the face.

They definitely spin a little less.

Titleist TS3 9.5* - Tour AD-GP 7X

Callaway X2 Hot Pro 15* - UST VTS Black 8X

Adams Pro Mini 21* - SteelFiber 110X

Bridgestone Golf J40 CB (4-PW) - Nippon Super Peening Blue X

Vokey SM8 50F - Nippon Super Peening Blue X

Taylormade MG2 TW Grind 56 - Nippon Super Peening Blue X

Taylormade MG2 TW Grind 60 - Tour Issue X100

Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport Beach 1.5

So keep in mind that although i have had my PXG's since the beginning of the summer, i have not been able to play or practice nearly as much as i have the last few years (wife has been battling breast cancer since January). With that said, i have absolutely no regrets about my PXG purchase. Are they for everyone? No, but nothing works for everyone. i have the 0311's in 4-PW and just added the 3 iron XF. i did originally buy the 50, 54 and 60 wedges, but found them to be a bit bulky for chipping and pitching and have since switched to Mizuno T7's in 50, 55, and 61. I am having my club builder grind off some of the back and heel on the PXG 54 and 60 wedges though just for fun to see if i like them better that way. All of mine are the black finished heads as well. They are wearing fine imo and do show some marks on the faces and scratching on soles, but nothing major. i knew going in that they would wear more than the silver finish and i am okay with that.

before the PXG's i was playing the Cobra King Pro combo set in black and although i did like those clubs, i wanted something more forgiving and to get better dispersion. i found my numbers were best with the PXG 0311's and although i preferred the look of the T's, i went with what the numbers told me was best for my swing. i am a self admitted club ho and usually buy anywhere from 2-4 sets a year normally. (especially after i found golfwrx!) i am hoping that by switching to the PXG's that i won't lust over new irons for awhile. i do not see anything kicking them out of the bag any time soon though and am very happy with my purchase.

On a side note, i just took my dad in for a fitting for new clubs for x-mas. He doesn't really care what he uses but he just turned 67 and has been playing the Ping G30's i got him a few years ago. He isn't a great golfer and never practices and plays about once a week. His swing is way too steep and ball striking is inconsistent. i also think he is having an inner crisis with realizing he doesn't hit the ball as far as he used to. So the fitting ended up with him getting 5-PW in the PXG XF's! Of course he also ended up hitting the PXG driver well too so he is getting that as well, along with the newer Cobra Baffler fw with the rails on the sole.

Just my opinion, but when it comes to the PXG woods and hybrids, i have found that they seem to work best for people with slower swing speeds. I work in the go;f shop my dad got fitted and have seen this again and again. The woods just seem to fit better with slower swing speeds. Every person with a driver ss over 90 didn't hit the PXG woods or hybrids nearly as well as those clubs from other companies.

As with any other golf club, getting fit and having the right shafts for your swing is monumentally important. first shafts i put in my PXG's were Fujikura graphite pro 95's stiff, hard stepped once. i liked them and they felt smooth, but i felt i was hitting them too high and could feel the shafts kicking at the bottom too much. So i installed black KBS FLT's in X-stiff in them and although they are much stiffer (especially in the tip section) and heavier than the Fuji's, i like them much more! Feel like i don't have to hold back at all now for fear of the shaft releasing too early or late with the weaker tip section.

• 1 year later...

I have a mixed set 4-7 irons 0311 and 8-PW 0311T.

Anybody who says they are a hoax is just stuck on the price point. As a matter of fact 95% of people who attack PXG have an issue with the price point, whether they are willing to admit it or not.

Forget price - they are great irons.

The real question is this: are they that much better from a price to performance standpoint? And your judgement and decision are personal.

I would never recommend PXG to another golfer. What I would recommend is going to a higher end fitter and testing out a bunch of different brands and shafts and let the data steer your decision. That is what i did and PXG was superior for me by a margin that helped me justify the spend.

I have been playing PXG for over a year now and my handicap has dropped from a 7 to a 2. I am not practicing more or playing any more than usual. It’s not all PXG, but I would say that I would credit the club and shaft combo built to fit my swing as a main source of the drop.

I don’t play the woods or the wedges.

I also have a mixed set ( 4-6 0311 and 7-PW O311T ) and absolutely love them. Along with the shafts best irons I have ever owned. I've had them for almost a year and probably played around 150 rounds last year. There irons show very minimal wear and will be in my bag for a long time.

I also agree with the post above where he stated "As a matter of fact 95% of people who attack PXG have an issue with the price point, whether they are willing to admit it or not.". Or they have an issue with Parsons himself.

DRIVER -     PXG Black OPs Tour 1 - 8* | 🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥   
2 WD -         PXG Gen 6  13* |  🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥

2/3/4 Hybrids- PXG Gen 6 | Accra Tour 90i Stiff

IRONS -       PXG Gen 6 XP DOUBLE BLACK | MMT 80 Stiff                     
WEDGES -  PXG Sugar Daddy II 54*/13 and 58*/10 | MMT 80 Stiff  
GRIPS -       JUMBOMAX ULTRALIGHT 
PUTTER -   PXG Battle Ready Gunboat w/M16 Stability Shaft
BAG -           PXG Staff Bag

• 2 years later...

Well, For those people who bicker about price point haha. I went and bought a fully fitted PXG 0311T gen 1 which was discounted 50-60% brand new. While it would still be more expensive for a 2016 model, but the point is GEN 1 is still very sought after and like all the miura, Honma's, even when they are 20 years old, there is a perceive brand recognition to it.

I just love the Designs of the GEN 1, and it was too far from my reach until this deal came along, I took the bullet as it is almost the same price as a brand new Titleist T100.

But I admit one problem, if you buy it brand new and full price, be prepared for massive depreciation on value on your clubs compared to a titleist AP2.

Just sold my Gen 1 0311 4-GW today.  They were great clubs.  

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 8*, Tensei AV White 75g
Irons: TaylorMade P790, 5-PW; Mitsubishi MMT 110g
Hybrids: Ping G425 19*
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 60*
Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1, Polar BGT shaft   
Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite Midnight
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B X yellow, Callaway Chrome Soft X LS