2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

How do feel about clone golf clubs

bogey_golf

A golf club is a golf club, I guess. You can hit a ball with pretty much anything and it'll go somewhere.

However, golf equipment that is only a few years old is soooo crazy cheap now, I wouldn't fish around with anything that's a clone. You can find some great wedges on eBay for only 20 or 30 bucks.

This may be diverting a bit, but just thinking about it—you could throw together a really awesome bag for under $200 if you gave it a go:

• 905r driver
  • i3 irons
  • some older spin milled vokeys
  • an old Ping or Odyssey putter

• Like 1
Clubs: Ping G400 Max • Callaway 816 5w • Ping i25 3-W • Ping Rustique 50* & 58* • Betti BB1 Short Slant
Shafts: Aldila Rogue White 60x • PX 8B4 • DGTI x100 • DG s300
Balls: Titleist Pro V1 • Srixon Z Star XV

Just like the topic says...Just wondering how people feel about clone/custom clubs? Do they perform the same/similar? Anybody use them?

Mixed feelings. I have no use for counterfeit clubs. Clones... they have their place maybe. When I first started playing, I couldn't afford name brand clubs, and back then (1997) there was no ebay, just piles of junked-out irons in pawn shops and overpriced used clubs at Nevada Bob's & the like. My first set of irons were copies of the Callaway Big Bertha. My first putter was a copy of a Scotty Newport Teryllium. So that was the equipment I learned to play golf with. My experience with those copy clubs actually made me something of a loyalist to both callaway and titleist over the years. As I see it, they're targeting two completely different ends of the market. Beginners (usually) aren't buying $800 sets of irons and experienced players aren't buying $200 package sets. Just know that you're not getting the same quality of club. If clones offend the big manufacturers, there's an easy way to put a stop to it: manufacture entry-level sets with similar design characteristics at an affordable price.

• Like 1

Just like the topic says...Just wondering how people feel about clone/custom clubs? Do they perform the same/similar? Anybody use them?

Mixed feelings. I have no use for counterfeit clubs. Clones... they have their place maybe. When I first started playing, I couldn't afford name brand clubs, and back then (1997) there was no ebay, just piles of junked-out irons in pawn shops and overpriced used clubs at Nevada Bob's & the like. My first set of irons were copies of the Callaway Big Bertha. My first putter was a copy of a Scotty Newport Teryllium. So that was the equipment I learned to play golf with. My experience with those copy clubs actually made me something of a loyalist to both callaway and titleist over the years. As I see it, they're targeting two completely different ends of the market. Beginners (usually) aren't buying $800 sets of irons and experienced players aren't buying $200 package sets. Just know that you're not getting the same quality of club. If clones offend the big manufacturers, there's an easy way to put a stop to it: manufacture entry-level sets with similar design characteristics at an affordable price.

i believe clones and counterfeit clubs are two totally separate items.

a clone as a cheap alternative, and stated as such. the buyer knows they're not getting a taylormade or a callaway, but rather a suitable (debatable) alternative. i liken this to going to the grocery store and instead of getting a box of corn flakes, you get the store brand corn cereal in a bag. see the link as a prime example

http://www.gigagolf.com/club_detailsHTML.jhtml?manufacturer=GigaGolf&groupnum=WD-GGTM36

a counterfeit is an out and out rip-off and typically priced as much. it tries to pass itself off as the latest driver or hottest set of irons at vastly inferior quality.

back in the day, a clone could be seen as a solid alternative if one isn't willing to drop massive amounts of money on the latest clubs, but as another poster said, there are plenty of great deals to be had on equipment from a few years ago where you could see little to no drop off in technology or quality from clubs released today. it all depends on whether you're willing to put in the work to find the deals and are knowledgeable in what you want and are looking for.

• Like 1

If you wanted to have less expensive clubs that still perform well, I'd look at Maltby rather than clones. Maltby clubs seem to be quality clubs that are much cheaper than the OEM's because they don't pay anybody to play them and don't market them. I think pretty much all clubs are made in China, probably at the same factories, but the clones will have cheaper materials and not care as much about the tolerances. That being said, I went to a fitter the other day and he tested a set of very expensive clubs and their lofts and lies were all over the place, so I would have them checked and adjusted no matter what you go with.

• Like 2

It's pretty well documented how wide some of the manufacturing tolerances are for the big OEMs when it comes to lofts, COR, etc so I'd expect clones to have even higher variability. So you could get something that performs great or something that doesn't. Personally I'd rather buy barely-used clubs from a year or two ago from manufacturers I'm familiar with and have more faith in.

When I first started golfing around 5 years ago, and before I found this sight I knew nothing about golf. However I was super excited about playing but didn't know where to buy a good set of golf clubs so I bought a set of Left handed MDC Tour bladed clone irons off of a website which I now forget the name of. The website said they were supposed be play like Nike golf clubs so I bought them. They served their purpose of allowing me to play the game I now love and helped me catch the golf bug that we all have. However now that I have gained a lot of experience and knowledge about golf equipment I would strongly recommend like everyone else here that you search the well known used golf club websites for a cheap wedge alternative or your local golf stores. You can find pretty much any brand of wedge for cheap now a days and I recommend going that route.

When I started golfing in 2000, it was common that mom and pop clubmakers have been selling clones (or knockoffs) but thanks to Craigslist and Ebay, you are better buying off used brand name clubs for about the same price (but more often cheaper) than brand new clones. Now you hardly see people sell used cloned clubs any more, let alone new.

10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft (Stiff flex)
Titleist 990 (3-PW) with stock Dynamic Gold in S300
Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts (Regular Flex)
2011 Adams Tom Watson signature wedges in 52 and 56 degrees with stock steel shafts (Player's Grind)
Rife Island Series Aruba Blade Putter

"Loft for loft, length for length, and shaft for shaft, the ball will go the same distance when hit on the sweet spot regardless how old the iron."

I played a set of acer pro irons down to a 3 handicap. I'm pretty sure those were modeled after x-14 pros, although I'm not sure if they fall into the clone or component pile. I play g25s now and honestly would shoot the same scores if I played the acers. I'd most likely go with used OEMs as others have said- better quality and I'm a bit more sensitive about intellectual property than I once was.

I played a set of acer pro irons down to a 3 handicap. I'm pretty sure those were modeled after x-14 pros, although I'm not sure if they fall into the clone or component pile. I play g25s now and honestly would shoot the same scores if I played the acers. I'd most likely go with used OEMs as others have said- better quality and I'm a bit more sensitive about intellectual property than I once was.

A friend gave me a set of those clubs and they are currently in the garage. Someone offered to buy the shafts (DG R300) so I pulled them, only the guy subsequently flaked so the clubs have sat broken down ever since. If anyone want them send me a PM and you can have them for the cost of shipping. The heads are low offset and big enough to provide some real GI assistance.

And speaking of components, I got addicted with clubmaking during the component hayday and made many sets for myself and friends. Golfsmith had some really nice components back then, designed by Tom Wishon, and some real money could be saved by building yourself. In today's market of dirt cheap clubs the money saving aspect isn't nearly as attractive anymore. Tom still designs components though, and there is Maltby/Golfworks and Hireko (Acer). I'd build a set of these and feel good about them but wouldn't touch a set of clones. To me those clubs are pure garbage. Not so much from a quality standpoint, but from the ripoff standpoint. Acer has made quite a few clones over the years so I'm not so much a fan of those, however they also make some unique designs that are pretty nice so stay with those and you are good to go.

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

If you're looking for some very good yet inexpensive wedges, diamondtour.com has some really nice ones. The Inazone CNC milled wedges are great and don't cost much at all. Both the faces and grooves are milled. I believe they call them Shadow (in black) and maybe chrome mist or something to that effect in satin chrome. I have a few of the lefty version (the Midnight wedges) and they work very well for me. They are about $18 a head and well worth it.

PING G400 Max 10.5° GD YS Nano Reloaded 6X                                            

TaylorMade SIM2 Max 16.5° 3HL Mitsubishi Diamana Kai'Li 70 X                                                       

Callaway V-Series 19° 5 wood Mitsubishi Diamana Kai'Li 80 S                                                         

PING G410 22°, 26° & 30° Hybrids KBS Steel Hybrid Shaft X                                               

Adams A4 Forged 7-PW Dynamic Gold AMT X100 D4                                                                        

Cleveland CBX 50°, 55° Dynamic Gold S400

Cleveland CBX Full Face 60° Dynamic Gold Tour Spinner

Odyssey 2-Ball Blade w/Triple Trac

Vice Pro Plus Lime

When I started golfing in 2000, it was common that mom and pop clubmakers have been selling clones (or knockoffs) but thanks to Craigslist and Ebay, you are better buying off used brand name clubs for about the same price (but more often cheaper) than brand new clones. Now you hardly see people sell used cloned clubs any more, let alone new.

Heck they hardly buy clone clubs from Goodwill for $2.99 anymore. At the metal recycling company I work at we get bunches for scrap that did not sell from all of the thrifts

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

5W  --- TM V Steel Fubuki 60r

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 5 thru PW TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R F

SW Callaway PM Grind 56* Modified Grind KBS Tour Wedge

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter Macgregor Bobby Grace Mark 4 V-Foil Broomstick

I had a Baylormade Turner Hybrid with a firm flex shaft. It sucked.

LOL saw one of those the other day at Goodwill for $2.99 I chuckled then and your post made me laugh again!

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

5W  --- TM V Steel Fubuki 60r

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 5 thru PW TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R F

SW Callaway PM Grind 56* Modified Grind KBS Tour Wedge

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter Macgregor Bobby Grace Mark 4 V-Foil Broomstick

Don't forget Acer irons made golf digest gold a few years ago

Driver:    2021 Cobra Rad Speed Peacote 9* w Kuro Kage 60g Silver TiNi Dual-Core Shaft 

Fairway Woods: 2014 Adams Tight Lies 14° 3 Wood w Kuro Kage 65g Shaft tipped 1 inch

2015 Adams Tight Lies 22° 7 Wood w Kuro Kage 65g Shaft tipped 1 inch

Irons:  2016 Nike Vapor Fly 4-AW   

Wedges:  2017 Cleveland CBX 56°& 60°wedge              
Shafts:  Matrix Ozik Program F15 85S Graphite Shafts 4i - 60°

Grips:   Superstroke S-Tech + 2 Wraps
Putter:  Gamer -  2020 Odyssey Stroke Lab 7s Black w Superstroke Claw 1.0 grip at 35in.

Backup - Custom Built Bastain Milled Prototype w Px 6.0 shaft and Lamkin Deep Etched Cord Grip at 33in.

Ball:  Taylor Made 21' Rocketballz            Bag:  Ogio Fuse Whiskey            Glove: MG Dyna-Grip Elite             Current Shoes: True Linkswear Motion phx

Probably if you build them up correctly with reasonable swing weights, and bend them to your specs (if you know them, if not then find your lie angle and check the lofts), and put good shafts that fit your swing speed and release, and grips on them, they'd be just fine. Unfortunately, all of those things I mentioned are more expensive than the heads, so usually if someone starts with a cheap head things only get worse from there.

I don't know if KZG are considered clones, but if I knew a quality clubfitter to build me a set of their irons I might give them a whirl.

I don't know if KZG are considered clones, but if I knew a quality clubfitter to build me a set of their irons I might give them a whirl.

God no. KZG are legit and their forged irons are phenomenal!

• Like 1

TSi2 10* w/ Trono 65x set at C1

TSi2 16.5* w/ Trono 75x set at C1

TSi2 18* w/ GD Tour AD BB 7s set at C1

VEGA VDC-01 Raw 4-P w/ Modus 120S

Edel SMS 52 T Grind

Edel SMS 56 T Grind

Edel SMS 60 T Grind

LAB DF 2.1 w/ Stability Shaft

Bridgestone Tour BXS

A golf club is a golf club, I guess. You can hit a ball with pretty much anything and it'll go somewhere.

However, golf equipment that is only a few years old is soooo crazy cheap now, I wouldn't fish around with anything that's a clone. You can find some great wedges on eBay for only 20 or 30 bucks.

This may be diverting a bit, but just thinking about it—you could throw together a really awesome bag for under $200 if you gave it a go:

• 905r driver
  • i3 irons
  • some older spin milled vokeys
  • an old Ping or Odyssey putter

Quality used clubs are still pretty cheap these days.

There is no reason to get clones.

Also a damn good short list of clubs to get that I can vouch for (well except the R which never worked for me for some reasons LOL)

All LH :

Driver : TM SLDR430 10.5° Fujikura Speeder 65
3-Wood : Callaway FT 15° Neutral Fujikura FitOn 160
3-Hybrid : Adams XTD Dry Proto 21° Aldila RIP Tour HYB80
4-Hybrid : Adams XTD DHy Proto 24° Aldila RIP Tour HYB80
5-PW : Adams XTD Forged Aldila RIP Tour SLT115
Wedges : Titleist Vokey SM4 52° & 258.08 58° TT Dynamic Gold
Putter : Odyssey White Hot 2-Ball Blade

A friend gave me a set of those clubs and they are currently in the garage. Someone offered to buy the shafts (DG R300) so I pulled them, only the guy subsequently flaked so the clubs have sat broken down ever since. If anyone want them send me a PM and you can have them for the cost of shipping. The heads are low offset and big enough to provide some real GI assistance. And speaking of components, I got addicted with clubmaking during the component hayday and made many sets for myself and friends. Golfsmith had some really nice components back then, designed by Tom Wishon, and some real money could be saved by building yourself. In today's market of dirt cheap clubs the money saving aspect isn't nearly as attractive anymore. Tom still designs components though, and there is Maltby/Golfworks and Hireko (Acer). I'd build a set of these and feel good about them but wouldn't touch a set of clones. To me those clubs are pure garbage. Not so much from a quality standpoint, but from the ripoff standpoint. Acer has made quite a few clones over the years so I'm not so much a fan of those, however they also make some unique designs that are pretty nice so stay with those and you are good to go.

This was my experience too. Had a lot of success with GS, GW and Dynacraft heads back in the day. Others that were cheap knockoffs were another story all together. Tom makes quality components and typically his listed clubmakers are very reputable. Garage guys you have to watch out for though. Do your homework. Like many have said, with ebay and BST, there'e really not a market for the component people anymore.

BT

Dr#1 Cobra Speedzone 10.5 – HZRDUS Yellow HC 65 TX @ 46”
Dr#2 Mizuno STZ 220 9.5 (10.5) - HZRDUS Smoke IM10 65 Low TX @ 46"

Mizuno ST190 15 - HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 43"
Mizuno STZ 220 18- HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 42"
Mizuno MP15 4-PW - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
Cobra MIM Wedges 52, 56 & 60 – stock KBS Hi-Rev @ 35.5”

Odyssey V-Line Stroke Lab 33.5"
Grips - Grip Master Classic Wrap Midsize

I am by no means an expert. My 2 cents is not to lump all components in as clones. Clones are cheaply made to resemble name brand equipment but will never duplicate performance for numerous reasons.

In the component world there are many price points of exceptional original designs. Some research is required but this is where you can play clubs rivaling the OEMs top line equipment at a fraction of the cost. Its also where I have great enjoyment as a novice club builder with a steep learning curve thanks to this site.

• Like 1