Things to do while waiting for Bandon

Edaw68

There must have been a frost delay at PD, as I'm seeing at least four groups standing around the first tee.

Ah man, I just think I watched a guy hosel one. OK, turns out not a hosel, but way out right to the bunkers short of the hill. Group ahead is already walking down 2 and they are still hitting their second shots - sooooo easily to be critical from 1000s miles away ;)

Looks like there's one of those always wears shorts guys there too, lol.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Well as I do my daily course camera checking this morning, things look a little Wet! Finally seeing the expected weather come in a bit. Nothing crazy though. Got me wondering as I see a couple of guys working their umbrella: Is using an umbrella at Bandon a rookie move? Frankly it just doesn't look right. I know that if the wind really kicks into gear, having an umbrella is nothing but a hazard. But I would imagine most guys heading to Bandon this time of year are geared up and wouldn't want the extra hassle of carrying the umbrella.

I live here in Portland and never use an umbrella on rainy days. You just get used to the elements.

What's your vote? Up or down on umbrella use on the courses.

Not used a brolly on the course once. When staying in the lodge I don't even bring one. Only bring one when we might be in the Inn or one of the further out accommodations.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Weekend looking really wet and windy. Monday looks really cold!

At least Friday will be nice. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Iv'e played the first nine @ Bandon walking backward

Srixon ZX5  TT dynamic gold 95  PING G425 FST 43.25"  Tour Edge 721 Tensei blue 65  Mizuno T22 56* 60*  Bobby Grace AMG 6313 35"

Random question, sorry if I this has been answered elsewhere:

We booked our 2019 trip the week after returning from our first trip and now the countdown begins to when we head back from 10/2-10/5. It sounds like Bandon aerates greens late-Sept through early-Oct, so wondering if anyone has played right after having the greens punched? Being on sand, is it a different aeration process that doesn't destroy a green like when it is normally done? Or do they rotate courses so they aren't all torn apart for the same ~2 weeks?

Callaway Epic Speed- 8*

Callaway Rogue 5w

Srixon ZX7 3-PW

Titleist SM9- 50*, 54*, 58*

Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2

Titleist ProV1

Weekend looking really wet and windy. Monday looks really cold!

At least Friday will be nice. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Iv'e played the first nine @ Bandon walking backward

I've played Pacific front nine like that. I think it took 5 shots to get on the green on 4. Also used driver on 5th and came up short!

Finished up two rounds. Yesterday was awesome on Pacific. Didnt played well but weather was great.

Today on Bandon, weather was horrible. Worst weather I’ve ever played in anywhere. Two- to three club wind and constant rain. First time i’ve been soaked. Still shot better than yesterday. Some people in our group of 68 gave up after nine. Most finished but had horrible time.

Tomorrow will be even worse. Forecast for more rain, higher wind, and colder temps. Not sure how many in group will even tee it up on Old Mac.

Monday should be clear but cold in low 40s. Heard there may be frost delay.

For those talking about aeration,this is just my experience, so you may want to check.

They use a different process with more needle like aerators. I played two years ago where they aerated Old Mac one day and we played it the next. You could not even tell they had done it. Our caddy said that because of th extremely sandy soil, they use needle like aerators and they fill themselves in almost automatically.

The next day we played Old Mac and there was very little indication they had punched it th day before.

For those talking about aeration,this is just my experience, so you may want to check.

They use a different process with more needle like aerators. I played two years ago where they aerated Old Mac one day and we played it the next. You could not even tell they had done it. Our caddy said that because of th extremely sandy soil, they use needle like aerators and they fill themselves in almost automatically.

The next day we played Old Mac and there was very little indication they had punched it th day before.

I think this will eventually change with the greens on the courses going to Poa. From my understanding an aerator (holes punched) vs a core aerator (plugs pulled) won’t work over time. They are 2 very different plants.

On Old Mac I imagine they will use the pin holes for awhile.

Courses are covered with snow right now on the course cameras. First time I've seen that. Anybody there now? Sushiyoshi?

Looks beautiful, but I'd be bummed if I were there. And since my Bandon countdown is at 5 days, I'm mentally preparing for this exact possibility. I actually played yesterday here in Portland through a pretty fun snow storm. Putting was silly as the ball would accumulate ice along the way and turn into a snow ball after a couple of feet. I see snow in the Bandon weather forecast again this week but warming and rain for the weekend that I arrive.

I've heard you can't count of weather forecasts though so who knows.

Courses are covered with snow right now on the course cameras. First time I've seen that. Anybody there now? Sushiyoshi?

I have friends there with the Stone Creek group. It sucks for them. We left yesterday and skipped out on our Sunday round. Just too cold, windy, and the constant threat of rain/hail/sleet/snow made it an easy decision.

Last Thursday & Friday were great though!

Wow! Definitely not seen/experienced that before. We had one really cold trip, but that was due to it being totally clear and windy.

Grabbed this off Twitter: No practice putts on Trails before teeing off ;)

DWabu25VAAEc5Fc.jpg

F.T.

Two weeks ago: jackpot.

This week: crapped out.

These are the gambles of the February trip. Hoping the jet stream turns around before next weekend. We like the Southerly breezes...

Cams showed all the white stuff gone and players hitting when I last checked around 11.

"take that, you miserable little white swine!"

I have friends there with the Stone Creek group. It sucks for them. We left yesterday and skipped out on our Sunday round. Just too cold, windy, and the constant threat of rain/hail/sleet/snow made it an easy decision.

Did you get rainchecks?

Tough weekend for the Bandon Faithful. I have been caught in one bad trip in March. Rained for 48 straight hours, but the temperature was acceptable. The last few days have just been brutal. I always feel for my brothers when their trip is less than ideal. It sucks.

This weekend looked to be a repeat as of two days ago, but it looks to be softening up. On my first trip, my caddie told me they all use the Norway weather site for their weather info.

https://www.yr.no/place/United_States/Oregon/Bandon/long.html

Also, I have researched and read that Accuweather has very good accuracy. Not sure how true it is, but as of now, they are the most positive forecast so I am fully engaging my bias and jumping on board.

Tough weekend for the Bandon Faithful. I have been caught in one bad trip in March. Rained for 48 straight hours, but the temperature was acceptable. The last few days have just been brutal. I always feel for my brothers when their trip is less than ideal. It sucks.

This weekend looked to be a repeat as of two days ago, but it looks to be softening up. On my first trip, my caddie told me they all use the Norway weather site for their weather info.

https://www.yr.no/pl...andon/long.html

Also, I have researched and read that Accuweather has very good accuracy. Not sure how true it is, but as of now, they are the most positive forecast so I am fully engaging my bias and jumping on board.

The weather forecast for my dates looks acceptable. I'll take it.

As a meteorologist myself, I’ll always point my fellow golfing friends to the National Weather Service (www.weather.gov). You can actually type ‘Bandon Dunes’ into the little box in the upper left and get a point forecast for the resort. I just bookmark the link to the Bandon forecast and bring it up on request.

The reason I’ll always favor this is because those forecasts are made specifically by human meteorologists, who are familiar with the local climate and can generate forecasts more accurately for any specific location. A forecast for accuweather is largely generated directly from a computer model—and a weather model is going to struggle to get the details of a remote location like Bandon correct.

That said, DONT use that source for information as to what the current conditions are at the resort. It grabs the current conditions from the North Bend airport...and obviously the conditions there are likely to be a bit different then the 16th fairway at Bandon.

I say all that to say this—I forecast for a living, and coastal Oregon has to be one of the most difficult places to forecast in the county. Use all forecasts as ‘suggestions’ only. But I doubt I have to tell anyone from the Bandon community that lil nugget of info.

Did you get rainchecks?

Definitely grabbed our rainchecks! We'll use them next year for sure, but I may swing back by in April for two days. Pacific, Old Mac, and Bandon were all in great shape. We even had a 62 (-9!) in our group at Pacific. We looped 36 on Friday, so we had the last tee times at Bandon. I think we played the last 4 holes as an 8some to finish just before dark.

On a side note, no clearance sale in the Randolph Center this year either. I guess they did a private sale for employees only a few weeks prior? Didn't matter to me at all, but we found it peculiar.

I miss Old Bandon though. The environment is great, but we (my group) has found it has more of a corporate feel the last couple years. It used to be the opposite of the very thing we'd go there to get away from. Just a personal and anecdotal observation.

I definitely noticed the same thing last year. I'm writing that off to being there during a holiday weekend, but we'll see how it feels there next weekend.

We are moving to March for next year. February is fast becoming no longer the refuge it once was.

I’ve been using Accuweather for years and it has been spot on for me whether it’s Bandon or Cancun.

The thing about Bandon that no weather service can account for is the point to the South. My buddies who caddies there said that is the hardest thing because you never know which storms will hit that and split up and basically create a hole over Bandon. They then join back up around Coos Bay. How many days have we thought were gonna be rain gear and just watched the clouds part to the south and never converge. Seems to happen once a trip for me

https://www.yr.no/pl...andon/long.html

I've been using Accuweather for years and it has been spot on for me whether it's Bandon or Cancun.

The thing about Bandon that no weather service can account for is the point to the South. My buddies who caddies there said that is the hardest thing because you never know which storms will hit that and split up and basically create a hole over Bandon. They then join back up around Coos Bay. How many days have we thought were gonna be rain gear and just watched the clouds part to the south and never converge. Seems to happen once a trip for me

That is a fun/horrible experience to watch roll in.

Like the Weatherbug app myself.

F.T.

Played today. Had a 9 AM BD tee time that ended up being a 12:15 shotgun start for everyone.

Was an amazing day. Cold, but sun was out.

Not going to lie, i almost cried in the AM when i saw the snow cover the entire grounds. However, golf gods were good and had a fantastic 18. Near ace on 2 was the highlight.

Looking forward to another great, albeit cold round tomorrow.

Sorry for lack of update. Was really beat and didn’t think of posting.

Sunday was weird. Forecast was supposed to be worse than Saturday with more rain and stronger wind. Didn’t ran much but wind was quite strong as we were on OM. Got pelted by a few hail storms going side ways due to the strong wind. On 15th, wind gust must have been 50MPH. I could barely stand and had to face the hail storm face on trying to hit shots. It was crazy.

We were supposed to tee off at 8:30 on Trails Monday. Saw there was snow and got the delay message. Said there will be shotgun start at 11AM, we decided to get rain check and headed out as we had to drive back to Portland and I had dinner plan with family. Turns out they didn’t start until noon. Wouldn’t gotten back to PDX until 10PM probably.

Caddies said that it was the worst weather they had ever seen there. Just my luck. At least we got there early Friday and played Pacific with nice weather.

Good luck to all coming there in near future. Hope the weather works out better for you.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all, long time follower. Just got back from Bandon on Wednesday. We got lucky and got great weather. Courses were in great shape. Going back in April with my annual group.

To the person who asked about caddies, I am going back in April and it will be the first time I don't take a caddie. Definitely some lines off the tee that I wouldn't have expected my first few times there and some putts that are difficult, but nothing crazy that you can't figure out. Definitely make sure you look at putts from all angles. I've gotten lazy with my caddies and had them read putts, but they are manageable. Caddies are fun to have, more about the experience for me. Nick Wismer has been my caddie for years and I can't say enough good things about him. But I have been going for 7 years and I am excited to try without one. Regardless, you will have a great time. It is definitely a unique place.

Make sure you take time to sit and enjoy watching people come and roll putts at different places. My first few trips, we were so excited that we played every second we could and I don't think we took the time to really enjoy how beautiful the entire property is. Now my brother and I make sure that we spend at least an hour watching groups come in 18 at Bandon dunes having a drink and smoking cigars, and one evening at the fire pits at Pac Dunes to catch up and remind ourselves how lucky we are.

To everyone going soon, have fun, good luck arriving, may all your gear make it and hopefully you get good weather.

• 4 weeks later...
Going for my first trip April 19th and 20th getting excited but I'm also worried about the one word every golfer hates to hear. Aeration. Any ideas when they aerate the greens and if they are the plinko boards for a couple weeks after like Florida? Do they Aerate all four courses at once?

I can tell you that they just aerated bandon dunes this last Thursday and verticut the greens at old mac and trails very recently. It didn't affect putts too much.