Left handed adapter in Right handed driver to get lower loft as standard ?

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not 100% but I don't think so. Just because the effect of the loft adjustment is reversed doesn't mean the numbers are reversed. The basic adapter is the same it's just labeled differently so I wouldn't expect the actual adjustable range to change. More likely the +2 will be -1, the +1 will be zero, the 0 will be +1 and the -1 will be +2.

Yes it does work like this, the setting for +2 on a LH adaptor in a RH head will be the equivalent of -2 loft setting.

Lie angle settings stay the same.

That's how it works with the + and - loft adjustments are symmetric with respect to the 0* loft setting (like with the TM or Ping adapters) and the amount of max "+" adjustment is the same as the max amount of '-' adjustment. Callaway (and Titliest) adapters are not symmetric around the 0* loft setting. With Callaway it's more like comparing the difference in the Titleist 'LH' and 'RH' charts. You'll notice that Titleist is adjust from -0.75 to +1.5* regardless of which chart you look at. The LH chart does not change to -1.50 to +0.75.

• 1 month later...

Anyone try this

Driver 9* Titleist Tsi3 BLK 6x tipped 1”  45.5” C2 3w Tsi3 15* B1 Ventus Red 9x tipped 2" 43”2i 19.5* T-MB AD DI 105x (Tipped 2.5”)  Sans 2i R15 5w Fit on Pro 95XX (tipped 2.5”)Titleist MB 620 3-PW (47* PW) Tour Issue X100s (HSx1) lie angle 620mb std specs + .25 to .5” Vokey Wedge Works Sm8 D grind 54(@53*) bounce 12* | custom grind leading edge relief w/ Nippon 125 x + 1” lie angle 63* Sm8 K grind 58(@59*) low bounce 6* | custom grind heel relief w/ Nippon 125 x + 1” lie angle 63 | Bettinardi BB8 tri sole - 70* Lie angle 2* of loft Super Stroke GT 1.0
All woods & 2i hot melted, GP Tour Velvet . 580 Ping Hoofer 

With the callaway tips

1. How do you tell if they are right or left hand oriented ? TMAG have them marked

2. how does one tell if they are OEM tips, are there any certain designation / markings on the tip

Driver 9* Titleist Tsi3 BLK 6x tipped 1”  45.5” C2 3w Tsi3 15* B1 Ventus Red 9x tipped 2" 43”2i 19.5* T-MB AD DI 105x (Tipped 2.5”)  Sans 2i R15 5w Fit on Pro 95XX (tipped 2.5”)Titleist MB 620 3-PW (47* PW) Tour Issue X100s (HSx1) lie angle 620mb std specs + .25 to .5” Vokey Wedge Works Sm8 D grind 54(@53*) bounce 12* | custom grind leading edge relief w/ Nippon 125 x + 1” lie angle 63* Sm8 K grind 58(@59*) low bounce 6* | custom grind heel relief w/ Nippon 125 x + 1” lie angle 63 | Bettinardi BB8 tri sole - 70* Lie angle 2* of loft Super Stroke GT 1.0
All woods & 2i hot melted, GP Tour Velvet . 580 Ping Hoofer 

• 4 weeks later...

LH Callaway adapters will have a line under the loft numbers _ RH adapters don't. As far as loft settings with Callaway adapters you can just reverse like TMade. +1 loft does not equal -1 when you pair a RH adapter with LH head. Standard loft isn't even standard when you pair the 2. If you look hard in past forums on WRX there was a guy that worked for Callaway that posted a a chart for settings for RH shaft with LH head.....ill try and find and post.

I hear a lot of folks talking about this, but is standard loft still at the standard loft setting when you switch to a left hand adapter? I don't think so. The reason I say this is the loft is built into the head and the adapter has 4 settings with std loft at the second lowest setting. Switching to a left hand adapter and the lofts settings switch:

-1 = +2

S = +1

+1 = S

+2 = -1

Std loft is still the second lowest setting which is now +1, so changes will be exactly the same.

BT

Mizuno ST180 10.5 - Diamana Kai'Li 70 S @ 44.5"
Mizuno JPX 850 3w 14.5 - Diamana Kai'Li 80 S @ 43"
Mizuno JPX 850 7w 19.5 - Diamana Kai'Li 80 S @ 41.5"
Mizuno MP5 4-PW - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
Mizuno MP-T5 52, 56 & 60 - TT Wedge
Grips - Grip Master Master Perforated Midsize

If I'm not mistaken, Stuart is saying the same thing I'm saying. In his post, he is disagreeing with the guy who is saying +2 changes to -2 with a LH adapter. Stuart, can you please clarify if you and I are saying the same thing?

BT

If I'm not mistaken, Stuart is saying the same thing I'm saying. In his post, he is disagreeing with the guy who is saying +2 changes to -2 with a LH adapter. Stuart, can you please clarify if you and I are saying the same thing?

BT

You are correct. Not completely sure, but I also think Matt J may have also been saying the same thing as both of us, just in a different way.

That's what I thought. Sorry, it was late and the Superbowl game had me all confused!

BT

• 4 months later...

Just a follow up question. My Epic goes left. I've been told to get a left hand adapter and put it in the draw setting for a lefty. Which in effect will be a fade setting for a right handed player. Can anyone confirm this? My TM is definitely a bit open and helps me eliminate the left side. This Epic is a left-going machine. No bueno.

TM Sim 9 XD60 TX.  
Taylormade M2 15 Kuro Kage DC XM 70 TX
Titeist 818h2 19 Atmos Blue
Srixon z785 Mitsubishi MMT 105 TX
Ping Glide Stealth 54/60
TM Spider Sightline Face Balanced

Just a follow up question. My Epic goes left. I've been told to get a left hand adapter and put it in the draw setting for a lefty. Which in effect will be a fade setting for a right handed player. Can anyone confirm this?

I can confirm that it's completely false. For the Callaway adapter, the "D" and "N" settings are lie angle settings, 'D' just gives you a more upright lie angle. And lie angle settings will be the same for both lefty and righty - they are not reversed like the loft (and thus face angle) settings are.

Just a follow up question. My Epic goes left. I've been told to get a left hand adapter and put it in the draw setting for a lefty. Which in effect will be a fade setting for a right handed player. Can anyone confirm this?

I can confirm that it's completely false. For the Callaway adapter, the "D" and "N" settings are lie angle settings, 'D' just gives you a more upright lie angle. And lie angle settings will be the same for both lefty and righty - they are not reversed like the loft (and thus face angle) settings are.

Thanks. So the best one can do to promote a fade is to move the weights, if that really works, or decrease the loft which opens the face angle? And the most the adapter will open is -1 regardless of RH or LH. Correct?

TM Sim 9 XD60 TX.  
Taylormade M2 15 Kuro Kage DC XM 70 TX
Titeist 818h2 19 Atmos Blue
Srixon z785 Mitsubishi MMT 105 TX
Ping Glide Stealth 54/60
TM Spider Sightline Face Balanced

Thanks. So the best one can do to promote a fade is to move the weights, if that really works, or decrease the loft which opens the face angle? And the most the adapter will open is -1 regardless of RH or LH. Correct?

well, the most open you can get the face angle is with the -1 loft setting - which is abut 1.8* more open. But you can always just manually open it up more at address - as much as you want.

• 3 years later...

As I understand it, with cobra, standard will be the same LH and RH - as long as the LH adapter is intended for the same head model (e..g it was a LH F8 adapter). Or if you're asking about which loft setting is standard, it would be whatever the middle value.

The standard value changes only if the adjustment range is not symmetrical. e.g. Callaway (+2* to -1*) and Titleist (+1.5* to -0.75*). TM, and Ping, the max + adjustment is the same as the max - adjustment - so standard stays the same. Cobra is symmetric but they label with loft based on which head the adapter was intended to play in.