Best fitting in New England

TimBuma

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've heard that Chris Cote's Golf Shop in Southington CT is very good....several of my friends rave about the fitting experience....

Driver- Ping G400Max 
Fairway- TaylorMade Sim Max 2 w/Ventus stiff
Irons- Mizuno MP68 w/Nippon 950 stiff
Wedges- Titleist SM8...50 & 56
Putter- Scotty Cameron TEI3 Newport 2

I travel down to Wethersfield, CT to Prove It Golf and Todd Daigneault. He has my full trust.

I've visited Joe & Leigh's several times. Good people. Knowledgeable. I like looking through used equipment like they stock simply for nostalgia.

Never been to Sandbaggers. It looks like a cool place. Will have to check it out next spring. My office is in the neighborhood.

Won't go back to Spargo. They did a hack job on a couple clubs. Kinda rude and pricey too. Sucks too, really wanted to like it down there.

I'm also looking to get fit in Massachusetts in the next month and am leaning to Joe and Leigh's...

Has anyone been to both Ace of Clubs and Joe and Leigh's? Thoughts on the two?

Assuming their website is accurate- Ace of Clubs doesn't stock Ping, Titleist or Srixon which is a show stopper for me

That's correct, he is not a traditional golf shop. He is allowed to sell the heads only and then fits you into the best shaft for you. He you can see the brands he carries on his site, he is a big Callaway, Mizuno, Miura, and PXG dealer.

Callaway B21 9* Diamana Kai'Li 70S (Callaway RFE 9* Diamana Kai'Li 70s backup)
RFE 16.5* 4 wood Diamana Kai'Li 80S
RFE 21.5* 7 wood UST V2 Tour 86gr
Apex 4/Apex Pro 5-PW H45 heads Aerotech i110
Callaway MD3 52-10/58-09 S Grind
Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 2016

Instagram Link
https://www.instagram.com/michaelfrederickphotography/?hl=en
[twitter]BigDudeGuy72[/twitter]

Opposite from Raiders, I have had zero issue from Spargo and found him to be rather direct in a professional manner, but never rude. He's a "tell it like it" is guy and can understand how that may rub some people the wrong way.

I'm curious to find out what he hacked up and what did he do to fix it? I've never, ever heard of that happening before with him. Being as he's human, I can understand mistakes do happen... (And again this year he is one of the Top 100 fitters in the states, as is Ace of Clubs and Joel and Leighs too so no matter you won't go wrong).

http://www.golfdigest.com/story/clubfitter-directory-americas-best-clubfitters

--kC

Ping 430Max 10k / Callaway UW 17 & 21 / Srixon ZX5 Irons (5-AW) / Vokey SM8 56* & 60*, Callaway, 64*

I'm also looking to get fit in Massachusetts in the next month and am leaning to Joe and Leigh's...

Has anyone been to both Ace of Clubs and Joe and Leigh's? Thoughts on the two?

Assuming their website is accurate- Ace of Clubs doesn't stock Ping, Titleist or Srixon which is a show stopper for me

I wouldn't recommend Joe and Leigh's. The driver fitting that I had was not very thorough and the number of shafts that they had was pretty limited.

Callaway AI Smoke Triple Diamond 8* - Fujikura Ventus TR Red
Taylormade Stealth 2 Plus 15* - Fujikura Ventus Red
Taylormade Stealth Hybrid 19* - Fujikura Ventus Red
Titleist T200 2023 4-PW Nippon Modus 120
Taylormade MG3 50, 54, Hi-Toe 60
Taylormade Spider GT Max

I have had great experiences with Performance Golf Works out of Brookfield.

On a side note, I think if people cant feel free to share their opinion and/or experiences of a fitter without having others question the validity of the encounter, then we run the risk of losing that person to future threads.

In my humble opinion, just because someone has an opinion that's different than yours, doesn't mean that what they are saying isn't true or didn't happen.

I have had great experiences with Performance Golf Works out of Brookfield.

On a side note, I think if people cant feel free to share their opinion and/or experiences of a fitter without having others question the validity of the encounter, then we run the risk of losing that person to future threads.

In my humble opinion, just because someone has an opinion that's different than yours, doesn't mean that what they are saying isn't true or didn't happen.

I see counterpoints, more opinions and disbelief also based on experiences with said individual, but not to the point of saying it wasn't true or didn't happen.

Counterpoints do not question the validity of the encounter... if you're saying they do, then that's like saying "the 1st person to say something in a thread is the only valid opinion and anything after that is wrong."

--kC

Ping 430Max 10k / Callaway UW 17 & 21 / Srixon ZX5 Irons (5-AW) / Vokey SM8 56* & 60*, Callaway, 64*

I fully agree that just because someone is the first to post an opinion of variance, does not mean it is the only valid opinion.

However, I find it hard to understand how someone cant believe the opinion of someone else, when in this case, it is someone's personal feeling about an encounter. You don't have to agree with the opinion of another person, but to disbelieve it is another thing.

In this case, RaidersGolf99 had mentioned that a hack job was performed, not that the vendor was a hack, only to met with the following...

"Love spargo. I am honestly having a hard time believing your opinion on his operation. I have never seen a club builder with more attention to detail and passion about his job. Hack is the farthest adjective I would use to describe him".

Either way, I cant wait for the winter to be able to hit the links again!!

I fully agree that just because someone is the first to post an opinion of variance, does not mean it is the only valid opinion.

However, I find it hard to understand how someone cant believe the opinion of someone else, when in this case, it is someone's personal feeling about an encounter. You don't have to agree with the opinion of another person, but to disbelieve it is another thing.

In this case, RaidersGolf99 had mentioned that a hack job was performed, not that the vendor was a hack, only to met with the following...

"Love spargo. I am honestly having a hard time believing your opinion on his operation. I have never seen a club builder with more attention to detail and passion about his job. Hack is the farthest adjective I would use to describe him".

My mother used to say that all the time. "I can't believe you did that. Go to your room!"

--kC

While I agree with your assessment of my comment, this site is notorious for having people post unfounded comments about businesses, courses, club mAnufacturers and more. The point that I was trying to make is that in all the years I have dealt with spargo, I along with many other people have found the experience and club work too notch. When someone calls out a "hack job" without explanation I deem it my right to defend a company that I believe in.

Now that said, if OP were to describe the hack job and why he felt it was done poorly then I would certainly hear him out and maybe even side with him. At which point I would give him tom's contact info and tell him to reach out and I promise Tom would make things right.

This whole bad mouthing and then walking away attitude on this site infuriates me, especially when it involves small businesses that are just trying to make it.

I fully agree that a follow up explanation should be provided when making such a strong statement about a small business in this era of real time information collection.

This is especially true when as you noted, there is a history of people blasting a business with no follow up explanation upon being asked to provide one.

I enjoyed my fitting at Club Champion back in the summer of 2014. I liked that they basically had every company and every shaft that I wanted to try there. I don't mind hitting indoors because I take my lessons indoors as well, and they have Trackmans in there for the fittings.

I've also heard pretty good things about Ace of Clubs. I was interested in Spargo, but when I emailed them and asked them why they didn't carry TaylorMade and Callaway clubs (this was in 2014, not sure if it's changed now), they said that they didn't carry those companies "because we find many of their clubs to be gimmicky." That's verbatim from an email I got from a guy that worked there. It immediately turned me off of that place.

Wow! One comment makes that much noise?

Call it what you want to call it...

But when I pay $108.00 for a putter RESHAFT, counterbalance and regrip (with a grip that I provided) and in return I get a putter EXTENSION to the wrong length, counterbalance and regrip .... I'm gonna be kinda pissed off. And I'm going to question the integeity of said club builder.

Wow! One comment makes that much noise?

Call it what you want to call it...

But when I pay $108.00 for a putter RESHAFT, counterbalance and regrip (with a grip that I provided) and in return I get a putter EXTENSION to the wrong length, counterbalance and regrip .... I'm gonna be kinda pissed off. And I'm going to question the integeity of said club builder.

In case you missed it the 1st time...

Did he make it right? Did you give him the opportunity to fix the error? What was the outcome? Again, sometimes there are miscommunications. Mistakes happen, yes. It's how those mistakes are fixed (sure, they could have been prevented, but such is human nature) that shows (to me anyways) how good a company is.

--kC

How was I to know, sir, that there was an extension underneath the grip at the time of pickup?

It wasn't until the putter went back to the Original Manufacturer that the extension was found.

While I could have, at that point, gone back down to said golf shop, and got into a pissing contest over what ultimately was $50 or so dollars, it wasn't necessarily worth the time or aggravation. I just decided not to go back.

May I step down from the witness stand, Mr. Prosecutor?

How was I to know, sir, that there was an extension underneath the grip at the time of pickup?

It wasn't until the putter went back to the Original Manufacturer that the extension was found.

While I could have, at that point, gone back down to said golf shop, and got into a pissing contest over what ultimately was $50 or so dollars, it wasn't necessarily worth the time or aggravation. I just decided not to go back.

May I step down from the witness stand, Mr. Prosecutor?

And in this thread we learn more about ourselves and others. There was no need to take my question personally. Was just asking if you gave him an opportunity to fix it (as with almost any company, that's usually the 1st course of action). That's it. Nothing personal in that.

Happy holidays! :)

--kC

• 2 weeks later...

I've always found Joe and Leighs to be very good. I've been going there for 20 years and get all my clubs from there or their old used club website 3Balls.com (that's been sold recently though). Their Performance Center down the street is terrific with all the computer fitting technology, but you need to get the right fitter. My last fitting for irons was just ok, and really didn't go in to much depth although I knew what irons I was planning to buy. Still ok just as thorough as I would have liked I guess. The main shop is very good with knowledgeable staff and the best part is they let you demo clubs for a few days which really helps in deciding what clubs to ultimately buy. Hitting in a simulator just doesn't allow for the same evaluation.