Best fitting in New England

TimBuma

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is Club Champion an appointment only type place? Can you just walk in and hit clubs?

Callaway B21 9* Diamana Kai'Li 70S (Callaway RFE 9* Diamana Kai'Li 70s backup)
RFE 16.5* 4 wood Diamana Kai'Li 80S
RFE 21.5* 7 wood UST V2 Tour 86gr
Apex 4/Apex Pro 5-PW H45 heads Aerotech i110
Callaway MD3 52-10/58-09 S Grind
Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 2016

Instagram Link
https://www.instagram.com/michaelfrederickphotography/?hl=en
[twitter]BigDudeGuy72[/twitter]

You need an appointment earlier in this thread I mentioned Sandbaggers but recently did a bag fitting with tClub Champion and walked away highly impressed ordered Ping I200 irons with them going back next week to try a coupe of drivers.

Basically they are a 2 man operation with 2 areas to hit balls the set up on wall is like you see on their tv ads multiple shafts and club heads.

They are very low pressure they had me putt on the sam lab said the putter I had fit me only with some adjustments which they did as part of fitting

• 3 weeks later...

For anyone willing to drive near Hartford I would highly, highly recommend Todd at Prove it Golf.

I've been fit by almost everyone in New England over the last several years (Ace, Spargo, Club Champion, JoeLeighs) and while I am not going to go pros and cons on them all, I will say Todd was the best I've seen at determining quickly the right direction to put me in shaft and head-wise.

There's a confidence you get with a fitter who can dial you in quickly, and he certainly did. He explained everything, his prices were extremely reasonable, and despite my declaration that cost was not an issue, didn't put me in something over-expensive but did put me in items that had me saying wow very quickly.

Couldn't recommend him more, and Im glad to answer questions in PM or here.

Granted it was a while ago, I was fitted at Performance ClubWorks, at its original location in Bethel, CT. It has since moved to Brookfield, CT.

I thought the fitting was lackluster, and the fitter seemed to lack enthusiasm with the process. Even though I ended up purchasing my clubs through them at that time, the experience could have been better.

• 3 weeks later...

I went to Ace of Clubs one time for a driver reshaft and was presented with a bill for well above what I requested. He spine aligned or something like that I did not request and said the service was performed and I needed to pay.

His shop is not all that convenient to get to so after getting no where (nor my club) until I paid, I paid, left and vowed to never use him again.

My $.02

Is there a place to get your own club fitted or used clubs from ebay fitted or do you always have to buy "new." I have been looking at Mizuno JPX 850 forged on ebay for around $300-$400. The new Mizuno JPX 900 are $1100 and I have read and watched enough YouTube comparisons there is very little difference. The issue is I would want the shafts to be fit to me since I am 5'8 and most likely would benefit from non standard length. Is this not worth the trouble and do you always have to get fitted into buying new clubs? Anyone know anyplace in MA I could ask?

• 3 weeks later...

Definitely wouldn't have paid that crook that upcharged you more than what was ordered! I'm hoping to do a fitting soon at Chris Cote's in Portland, CT

Please try to do a review on the fitting experience you have with Chris Cote'a shop.

I am contemplating going to his shop for a fitting also, and would love to know what your thoughts are on it.

Twice with Tom Spargo. Once with Joe and Leighs. Got more than I asked for with my driver fitting at Spargo. Added an iron fitting no charge. I like an outside facility so Spargo is seasonal. Joe and Leighs is in a bay but hitting into real world range which appeals to me. Neither had any restrictions on shaft/head combos. Neither pushed me to buy but both discounted the fitting with purchase.

I had an iron fitting at Chris Cote's in Southington, CT a few months ago. I was thoroughly impressed (especially for a free fitting). I wanted to find a location that had an outdoor range so I could see the ball flight, which this does, but the fitting room is an enclosed, private, state-of-the-art set-up with launch monitor, large screen tv's and multiple shaft, head combinations. (The were using Flightscope at the time, I believe, and now are using Trackman). The fitter took his time to talk to me about my game and understand what I was looking to achieve. Did all the usual static measurements, had me hit off a lie board, used the Mizuno shaft optimizer, etc. I then hit quite a few different irons, and started to focus in on a few that felt really good. Then we dialed in with several different shafts, all the while looking at the numbers and the ball flight. Ended up with +1/2" and up 1 degree. No pressure to buy, but they do offer all the major manufacturers and can custom order what you need.

A really great experience, highly recommend Chris Cote's.

Ping G410, 10.5 degree, Alta CB 55 Red

Taylormade RBZ, 15*, Matrix Ozik

Callaway Epic Super Hybrid, 18 degree, Aerotech Steelfiber FC

Callaway Rogue 4H, 21*, Aldila Synergy 60

Callaway Apex CF16, 5 - SW, Recoil 760

Callaway PM Grind 19, 60*

Rife 2 Bar Hybrid 

• 1 month later...

Madhacker..

Great review of the fitting with Chris Cotes store.

Do you feel you were able to experiment with enough shaft models to get an idea of what's best for you?

I am apprehensive to schedule a fitting if I feel I can't try enough equipment during the session.

Also, where did you do the session?

To my understanding, he has a couple locations.

Thanks!

Yes, I definitely felt that there were ample shaft options. I hit a number of different shafts from KBS, Steelfiber, Fujikura, etc. Ended up dialing in on some Recoils that felt really nice and launched well for me. Also hit quite a few iron heads from Ping, Taylormade, Mizuno, Titliest and Callaway. All the time the fitter was helping interpret the numbers on the monitor, watching the ball flight with me and making some good suggestions as we went. Never felt rushed, and I was probably in the fitting room for about 90 minutes.

Then, once I had settled on the the CF-16's with the Recoil shafts, and he wrote up my specs, he asked if I wanted to hit the 7 iron some more on the range (no charge for that either). Hit another bucket of balls just to confirm how sweet this combo was for me.

Can't say enough about Chris Cote's. This was at the Southington, CT location (Golf Quest range). For a free fitting, I thought it was outstanding.

Ping G410, 10.5 degree, Alta CB 55 Red

Taylormade RBZ, 15*, Matrix Ozik

Callaway Epic Super Hybrid, 18 degree, Aerotech Steelfiber FC

Callaway Rogue 4H, 21*, Aldila Synergy 60

Callaway Apex CF16, 5 - SW, Recoil 760

Callaway PM Grind 19, 60*

Rife 2 Bar Hybrid 

• 2 weeks later...

I get fit for new irons and driver every year at Chris Cotes .... I always see Kyle but I know a Randy is excellent as well. Using Trackmans now so that's even another notch.

I play with Kyle so he dials me in pretty quick but still spends the time to remove my doubts. My son has been fit there more than once and they've been great at sourcing new and used clubs for him as he grew 2 feet over the last couple of seasons .... great place.

golow

• 8 months later...

There is now a Cool Clubs in Natick at the new Kohr Golf facility. I've had nothing but great experiences with Frank at Ace of Clubs for over 7 years. He only offers certain brands which isn't ideal for some but his work is top notch and he has been awarded top fitter in the country several times now.

Titleist TSR3 with Fuji Ventus TR Blue 6x 
Titleist TSR3 with Fuji Ventus Blue 8x
Titleist T200 Utility with Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black (90x)
Miura MB101 (4-PW) with KBS Black $ Taper (130x)
Vokey SM8 Black Wedges- 50F, 54S, & 58D with KBS Black $ Taper 
Bettinardi Tour Issue BB0 Flow Prototype

Anyone get fitted yet at Cool Clubs and have a review?

I got fitted for a driver at Cool Clubs last week. Glen was great, I highly recommend giving him a try. Very thorough and took as much time as we needed to get things right. I came in with an idea of what shaft I wanted and that's what happened to end up fitting me best but he had me try plenty of shafts. He has every major manufacturer except for Cobra I believe. He didn't break the bank with crazy upcharges either as I ended up purchasing Callaway Rogue driver with Fujikura pro 53 stiff flex.

I have been fit by Bruce at Club Champion multiple times before and preferred the Cool Clubs fitting. Bruce is great as well but with Cool Clubs you are hitting into an actual range and can see ball flight.

Is there a place to get your own club fitted or used clubs from ebay fitted or do you always have to buy "new." I have been looking at Mizuno JPX 850 forged on ebay for around $300-$400. The new Mizuno JPX 900 are $1100 and I have read and watched enough YouTube comparisons there is very little difference. The issue is I would want the shafts to be fit to me since I am 5'8 and most likely would benefit from non standard length. Is this not worth the trouble and do you always have to get fitted into buying new clubs? Anyone know anyplace in MA I could ask?

I had bought some off the rack Cobra King F6's awhile back. Felt good, but not quite right. Went to Joe and Leighs, they offer a "current set assessment" service. Turned out I needed a lie angle adjustment, which they figured out pretty quickly, and did right then and there. No extra charge, they basically charge you for a period of time with the fitter. If he does adjustments on your clubs during that time, it's included. Also went to them for a wedge fitting, and came away with Cleveland wedges that I love. Overall a very good experience.

• 2 weeks later...

Was thinking of going to Joe and Leigh's Performance Center for a driver fitting, I'm hoping they have numerous shafts per head to try, but earlier in the thread that was something noted as lacking.

My buddy goes to Spargo, says he's top notch, but that he is so busy, that appointments are way out nowadays, and he has assistants taking some of the work on.