Best fitting in New England

TimBuma

I have been fit by Ace of Clubs, Joe and Leigh's, club champion and Spargo over the last 15 years. Driver fitting at Ace was good, but indoor fitting is difficult for me. At the time it was flightscope and was very thorough. I liked the experience, but the driver didn't work for me as well as expected outside. Joe and Leighs was for irons. Fitting was good and I am still playing the irons 8 years later. Ping shafts are starting to feel a bit soft for me, so I'm going for another fitting soon. Club champion was cool with the trackman - didn't buy anything and there was no pressure, be again, hitting indoors is tough for me. Got a couple of wedges done at Spargo. Worked well, and really nice to see the results outside. I'm headed back there for a driver fitting soon and will let you know how it goes. They all have their pluses and minuses.

Spargo has limited numbers of manufacturers that he works with, as does ace of clubs. Joe and Leigh's had limited shaft options. Club champion had everything, but cost the most for everything.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a driver fitting scheduled for Monday afternoon at Joe & Leigh's. It is the most convenient to where I am living right now. My swing has changed a lot since my last fitting and I have been guessing on driver fit. I am also going to have them check my lie angles on my irons if there is time. I will post the results after.

I was able to move my fitting to this morning at 11. I went to Joe & Leigh's and worked with Darren who I thought did an excellent job.

I don't always post a lot here but for some background I used to play a lot of golf and in the mid 90s- early 2000s I was a 0-2 handicap golfer and played the local amateur stuff. I qualified for 3 State AMs in that time and took a run at some USGA stuff coming close but not getting in to anything. As my kids got older I got involve with their activities and about 7 years ago gave up my country club membership. To complicate matters 18 months ago I got very sick which led to a very serious 10 month illness and recovery. A year ago this time I could barely walk around the block and I am still rebuilding strength from that. Fortunately I am healthy and should stay that way.

Back when I last got fit I was in a set of TM R7TPs with PX 6.0s and driver was a Titleist 910 D3 with the ahaina 73g stiff flex in it. Swing speed used to be 104-106 with the driver and 92 with a 6 iron. I still had most of that swing speed before I got sick I just didn't always know where it was going. These days I knew I was swinging slower.

As I am getting back in to the game I have been guessing at some clubs that might fit where my swing is at right now. I plucked a TM M1 first gen out of a used club bin in 10.5* with a Aldila Rogue Stiff in it and have been playing with that. I also picked up a used combo set of Callaway Apex Pro Combo set with KBS Tour V 110 shafts in stiff flex.

It turns out I was pretty good guessing at fit. I mostly went for a long game fitting as I was wondering if I was leaving some yards on the table. I hit my driver better than anything else I hit. Almost identical was a TM M3 440 10* with a HZRDUS Black 63 6.0. However my driver was slightly better and certainly there was nothing there worth $400.

I really liked the way the Ping G400 drivers looked and felt but I couldn't find a combo that was more then equal with what I have. Closest was a G400 Max 9* w/ a HZRDUS Handcrafted Yellow 63 6.0. Again not enough to justify a change.

My swingspeed was very consistent between 97-99 mph. Launch on my club was 12.5-13.5* with spin in the low 2000 range. Again we couldn't really beat the launch numbers certainly not by enough to justify a big spend. Ball speed was in the low 140s with carry distance consistently at 240-245.

I spent a little time hitting 3 woods. I recently picked up a Callaway Steelhead XR 16* with the Tensei CK Blue 65 stiff and that was better than the other 3 woods I hit. The closest I came was a TM M3 15* 3 wood but I was getting pretty much the same 220 yard carry out of both and launching the Callaway a little higher which I liked.

We checked the lie angle on the irons and they were fine I didn't do a real iron fitting I am not looking for a new set at the moment. Towards the end of the year or next spring once I feel like I have established a new baseline I will likely look at new irons.

My SS is 5-7 mph below where it used to be. However it is 5-7 mph faster than it was three months ago as I regain strength and play more golf.

I thought the fitter did a very good job. He tried a bunch of different combos of stuff with a variety of shaft weights and heads. A couple of heads that I liked the look and feel of (the M3 and the G400 family) he tried a number of different shafts in but nothing was substantially better than what I had. At the end of the day he thought I was in a good fit for where my swing is at the moment. There was absolutely no pressure to buy anything.

We spent about 1:15 together and I hit more balls on a range than I have in years. It cost $100 and I can apply $40 of that to a purchase although I am not sure there is anything I want at the moment. I did come away from it comfortable with the setup I have right now which is always positive.

Great post and good to hear. Going for a full bag fitting with Darren next week.

Went for a Driver/FW wood fitting at Spargo in RI last month. Really liked the G400max driver, but wasn’t sold on the fitting as I was still hitting most shots in the heel. Was hoping that the fitting would get me into a driver where I would be able to find the center of the face a bit more. Looking for a second opinion there and to check out some new irons. Never been officially fit prior last month and I’m thinking it’s about time to upgrade. Driver is a Nike Sasquatch Tour from 2007 and I’m playing Titleist DCI 962b irons. I like the irons but imagine there may be some room for improvement.

• 1 month later...

Hate to be bumping an old thread, but I'm trying to decide whether to get fit at Joe and Leigh's in Easton, or Club Champion in Needham, or any other place around. Be curious to see if anyone has any recent updates.

cool clubs natick in my opinion the best

I’d have a hard time anointing a place that’s been open less than 90 days as “the best”. Maybe it will be in the long run, but seems a bit premature...

Hate to be bumping an old thread, but I'm trying to decide whether to get fit at Joe and Leigh's in Easton, or Club Champion in Needham, or any other place around. Be curious to see if anyone has any recent updates.

cool clubs natick in my opinion the best

I’d have a hard time anointing a place that’s been open less than 90 days as “the best”. Maybe it will be in the long run, but seems a bit premature...

well I’ve been fit by joe and Leigh’s, club champion, and now cool clubs over the last 8 years or so. So I can certainly say cool clubs was the best. Their prices tho to buy clubs are absurd

I just had a fitting at Club Champion in Newton for Edel SLS-01's. Previously I had fittings for wedges and a current bag assessment done at Joe and Leigh's. Club Champion was more expensive for the fitting (Joe and Leigh's gave me credit toward the wedges and adjusted lie angle on my irons as part of the current set assessment), but I felt they did an overall better job. Felt they were more thorough than Joe and Leigh's, and had more options available. Alex was great to work with, and really dialed in what works with my swing.

Bottom line: if money is an issue, go with Joe and Leigh's. If you've got the disposable income to spend for a more comprehensive fitting, go to Club Champion. Either way, you'll be treated well, and should walk out happy.

I just had a fitting at Club Champion in Newton for Edel SLS-01's. Previously I had fittings for wedges and a current bag assessment done at Joe and Leigh's. Club Champion was more expensive for the fitting (Joe and Leigh's gave me credit toward the wedges and adjusted lie angle on my irons as part of the current set assessment), but I felt they did an overall better job. Felt they were more thorough than Joe and Leigh's, and had more options available. Alex was great to work with, and really dialed in what works with my swing.

Bottom line: if money is an issue, go with Joe and Leigh's. If you've got the disposable income to spend for a more comprehensive fitting, go to Club Champion. Either way, you'll be treated well, and should walk out happy.

Someone else had told me recently that the guys at Club Champion are really good, but the appointment is expensive and it's smart to buy the clubs from somewhere else because of the markup. Based on that and the lack of "disposable income" I think Joe and Leigh's seems like a good bet (for me anyways)

Probably been mentioned before several times but I like Club Champion because they have everything and the guys there know what they're doing. They are flexible and have good post-fitting service. However, you will pay full retail price (maybe some markup on some items). If you do purchase a set from them, you can negotiate to get the fitting fee waived. They also seem to have specials around the Thanksgiving/Holiday timeframe (low season) which is 50% off a full bag fitting.

• 5 weeks later...

Just did a full bag fitting at the callaway performance center in hudson, nh. Golf and ski warehouse. I did a fitting at club champion down in NJ and i liked the golf and ski one a lot better. Price at club champion was 50% off so it cost about the same. Both had SAM putting.

Nice. We’re you able to hit outdoors at golf n ski during the fitting? I know they have a big range.

Just did a full bag fitting at the callaway performance center in hudson, nh. Golf and ski warehouse. I did a fitting at club champion down in NJ and i liked the golf and ski one a lot better. Price at club champion was 50% off so it cost about the same. Both had SAM putting.

Nice. Were you able to hit outdoors at golf n ski during the fitting? I know they have a big range.

They let me warm up and I was able to try stuff if I wanted outside but the fitting was in the Callaway performance center which is inside.

• 3 weeks later...

I ended up going through a fitting at Joe and Leigh's Performance Center, and I have to say I was pretty disappointed with it. I went in wanting to test as many clubs as possible and get a lot of feedback and suggestions on clubs from the fitter, but he only had me hit the AP2, and Rogue Pro, so I obviously didn't end up buying anything, and am still looking into what my next set of irons is going to be.

I ended up going through a fitting at Joe and Leigh's Performance Center, and I have to say I was pretty disappointed with it. I went in wanting to test as many clubs as possible and get a lot of feedback and suggestions on clubs from the fitter, but he only had me hit the AP2, and Rogue Pro, so I obviously didn't end up buying anything, and am still looking into what my next set of irons is going to be.

Did you have to pay for the fitting?

The experience you had sounds very disappointing

Yes, sadly I did have to pay for the fitting. Very disappointing.

Yes, sadly I did have to pay for the fitting. Very disappointing.

It is disgusting you had to pay for a fitting wherein the fitter didnt allow you to try whichever clubs you wanted. If I were you, I would either call them and express your frustration regarding paying for such a horrible fitting, or share your experience wherever you can so others don't fall victim to it.

• 1 month later...

You can talk all you want about fitting and fitters, but I know there is a 0% chance I would ever buy a club without seeing the ball fly outdoors. Joe & Leigh’s, Cool Clubs in Natic and I can’t believe nobody in this post has mentioned Harmon Golf in Rockland!

You can have Club Champion and Ace of Clubs, $1000 to buy a driver you’ve never seen fly is ridiculous to me!!!

You can talk all you want about fitting and fitters, but I know there is a 0% chance I would ever buy a club without seeing the ball fly outdoors. Joe & Leigh's, Cool Clubs in Natic and I can't believe nobody in this post has mentioned Harmon Golf in Rockland!

You can have Club Champion and Ace of Clubs, $1000 to buy a driver you've never seen fly is ridiculous to me!!!

Having done indoor fittings and now realizing the importance of using my gamer ball for those fittings, I'm not doing an outdoor fitting unless I'm able to do that. If you can actually see the ballflight but you can't really trust it because you're hitting crappy range balls, how much does that help you?

I'm also someone that takes lessons indoors and works on my game a good bit indoors during the winter as well, so I'm comfortable with systems like GC2 and Trackman indoors. I realize some aren't that way.

• 2 weeks later...

You can talk all you want about fitting and fitters, but I know there is a 0% chance I would ever buy a club without seeing the ball fly outdoors. Joe & Leigh's, Cool Clubs in Natic and I can't believe nobody in this post has mentioned Harmon Golf in Rockland!

I love Harmon, I've gone down there a handful of times for demo days, and I love using their range. I actually was messaging them online to find out about club fitting. Since offseason (at least for me) is here, I'm going to wait until next spring.

You can have Club Champion and Ace of Clubs, $1000 to buy a driver you've never seen fly is ridiculous to me!!!

Having done indoor fittings and now realizing the importance of using my gamer ball for those fittings, I'm not doing an outdoor fitting unless I'm able to do that. If you can actually see the ballflight but you can't really trust it because you're hitting crappy range balls, how much does that help you?

I'm also someone that takes lessons indoors and works on my game a good bit indoors during the winter as well, so I'm comfortable with systems like GC2 and Trackman indoors. I realize some aren't that way.

I’ve taken lessons there so I know Harmon uses Titleist NXT Tour for range balls and I’m pretty sure they use ProV and ProV1X for fitting.

As for CG2 it’s a great monitor, but you don’t see many brands or tour pros using it, TrackMan or bust. As far as trusting monitors we can agree to disagree, there is no substitute for seeing the ball fly. Obviously tour players have the benefit of traveling to warm climates, but I’d be willing to bet not a single player on tour would ever put a club in play without seeing it fly outdoors!