2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

#TheWRX: The EPIC Event at Callaway Golf. 8 Members are treated to TheWRX

No one has mentioned it in awhile, those Seamus/Callaway/GolfWRX head covers are brilliant!! Great to follow this thread.

They really are awesome!

Callaway did a great job making us feel special and appreciated. At first I wonder if it was all for show, but I realized after talking with so many Callaway folks that they were really glad to have us there and they seemed to truly appreciate that we were there; it was as if we were doing them a favor.

Truly genuine people who love what they do.

That is great to hear. They are golfers first and just happen to have our dream job! ?

Twitter: @Ed_Settle        My WITB
Driver:           Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 9.0 +2 GD Tour AD HD 6X
Fairway:        Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 3W/15*  Tensei Wht AV 70S

Utility W:         Callaway UW 19* HZRDUS Black RDX 6.0 S
Hybrid:          Callaway Apex Pro 4/21* KBS Hybrid 85S

Irons:             Callaway X Forged Star 5-PW Modus 105 S
Wedges:       Callaway Jaws Raw 48S/53W/58Z DG S200 
Putter:           2022 Toulon Design Small Batch Austin 34" 

Ball:               2022 Callaway CSX LS
Bag:               VESSEL Blk Lux Cart Bag 14 way   

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now onto the hard questions: Who did everyone get to play with, what was the match, who ended up winning, and what was the prize?

I played with Johnny Rodriguez, Tyler Shean, and Robert Julian (Senior VP and CFO). Because of the odd number of GolfWRX guys, I was the only one who played with all Callaway guys. The rest of the groups were 2 & 2.

The match was Net 2 Best Balls.

Our team was victorious at -13. I won a year or lifetime supply of Callaway golf balls, depending who you asked in my group and the number of drinks they had.

Did you get a chance to try the Chrome Soft X while you were there, Q? If not, I think you'll like it a whole lot.

Saw that you went with XR Pro in your 20* hybrid. What went into that choice over the Apex? Shape preference?

Glad you and the others had such a wonderful time, and nice round at Torrey!

OEM Certified Master Fitter

"Never forget that the luxury of being
wrong is not enough to make you right."
WITB Link

No one has mentioned it in awhile, those Seamus/Callaway/GolfWRX head covers are brilliant!! Great to follow this thread.

They really are awesome!

Callaway did a great job making us feel special and appreciated. At first I wonder if it was all for show, but I realized after talking with so many Callaway folks that they were really glad to have us there and they seemed to truly appreciate that we were there; it was as if we were doing them a favor.

Truly genuine people who love what they do.

That is great to hear. They are golfers first and just happen to have our dream job!

Couldn't agree more. They love having groups like this because it's people who have a true passion for golf that don't work for Callaway or one of their competitors. We're all just average joe's for the most part who LOVE golf just like they do.

Ping G400 Max UST Proforce V2
TM M5 15* UST Proforce V2
Callaway Apex UW 19* PX HZRDUS Smoke Black
Srixon ZX5 - 4&5 MMT 105

Srixon ZX7 - 6-PW MMT 105
Edel SMS 50V/54V/58T Nippon 125
Odyssey MXM #1W

I hate to inflate your egos anymore than they already are, but I spoke with a friend at Callaway, and he said that you guys were great to have there, and they had a blast as well.

LEFT HANDED

Titleist TSR3 with Metaflex 5H shaft (currently testing the Proxima 6 stiff shaft)
Titleist TSR2 16.5 degree fwy with Ventus Red 7 stiff shaft
Ping G430 19 and 22 degree hybrids with Ventus Blue HB 8 stiff shaft
Srixon ZX7 mkii 5-PW with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts

Titleist SM9 50F, 54D, 58T wedge with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts
L.A.B. MEZZ Max putter with LAGP putter shaft

The new 2017 3-wood beat the Fusion by 18 yards for me.

Were you hitting off a tee?

917 D2 8.50* - Tensei CK Pro White 60
917 F2 13.5* - Rogue Max 70
816 H2 19.0* - D+ Plus 90
716 T-MB (3i, 4i) - Modus 120
716 CB (5-PW) - Modus 120
Hogan TK15 - 49, 55
Edel Deschutes

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1457364-pitchinwedges-witb/page__p__15152218#entry15152218"][color=#0000ff][b]Photo WITB[/b][/color][/url]

I pegged it a tiny bit since it was the last club I was fitting and I chewed up the grass.

Strange thing is I hit a Fusion pure just a swing before and declared the 3 wood search over.

The next swing was with the new one and it obliterated it. Same shaft.

Follow our Two Guys Talkin Golf (TG2) Podcast on Instagram + Twitter + iTunes + SoundCloud
 Click here to grab a new "circle" avatar

Awesome trip guys!!!! I am beyond jealous. I know this sounds dumb but after reading all 31 pages I feel like I need to give Cally a shot. This is coming from an extreme Cally hater. (for no good reason at all) I will for sure give the driver and MBs a shot this season.

Quick question - what section will the reviews be posted in? Will they be separate threads?

Guys...thanks for all the information and time spent keeping us on the edge of our seats...appreciate the time you took away to do that. Enjoy the 'settling in' of the trip and get us the finer details when you can!!

Callaway Mavrik SZ 9.0 VA Composites Nemesys 65 04
Callaway Mavrik SZ 15 VA Composites Nemesys 75 04
Callaway Mavrik Pro Hybrid 18* Veylix Rome 888 S
Callaway 2019 Apex Pro DOT 4-PW Mits MMT 125 TX/ Vega Mizar Tour Oban CT 115 X
Odyssey WHP #3-Stability Tour, Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5, Toulon Long Island Garage-Stability Shaft
Callaway MD5 Jaws Tour Grey 50/54/58 and  Cobra Tour Versatile 50/54/58 Mitsubishi MMT 125TX Graphite
Lamkin Sonar Plus Wrap

WITB Link

Awesome trip guys!!!! I am beyond jealous. I know this sounds dumb but after reading all 31 pages I feel like I need to give Cally a shot. This is coming from an extreme Cally hater. (for no good reason at all) I will for sure give the driver and MBs a shot this season.

Quick question - what section will the reviews be posted in? Will they be separate threads?

I haven't really thought that through yet. I think they'd kind of get 'lost' in here but we'll see!

Follow our Two Guys Talkin Golf (TG2) Podcast on Instagram + Twitter + iTunes + SoundCloud

My longest drive was something like 99mph swing with 2000rpm, 150 ball speed and 1.57 smash or something at 16 launch

Will confirm all of this

This is exactly what interests me. Whether you're indeed getting more ball speed with the same swing speed. You say it's not your average smash but 1.57 smash would indeed be a game changer!

I hit a reps demo heads and smash averaged at 1.49. I just don't believe they would give hot heads to reps especially when the general public wouldn't really get a chance to hit them. Too much trouble for what it's worth.

And then this comes J13's post, which is more in line with normal expectations. IIRC, you got slightly better smash and more ball speed, but it was really the by-product of a more club speed.

The highest I hit was 1.52 with the new Epic, I also hit the same number with the 917 on FS. Average was 1.49 for both Epic and SZ Epic

Now I'm really having a hard time believing the Epic is truly any "hotter" than anything else.

On the 2017 driver I increased my ball speed by 14 mph, added 25 yards of carry. That doesn't mean I will hit it like that every time, but still...

Again, it's great to hear about increases in ball speed, but by itself, it just doesn't paint a complete picture.

I remain skeptical that good for good yields improved smash. Based on the above, if you're hitting it on the nuts, it seems the expected average smash should be 1.49 with these new drivers. Unless MtlJeff can find a way to consistently replicate his 1.57 smash, his results are an anomaly. Perhaps the distance gains are more attributable to the shafts and expert fittings?

917 D2 8.50* - Tensei CK Pro White 60
917 F2 13.5* - Rogue Max 70
816 H2 19.0* - D+ Plus 90
716 T-MB (3i, 4i) - Modus 120
716 CB (5-PW) - Modus 120
Hogan TK15 - 49, 55
Edel Deschutes

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1457364-pitchinwedges-witb/page__p__15152218#entry15152218"][color=#0000ff][b]Photo WITB[/b][/color][/url]

My longest drive was something like 99mph swing with 2000rpm, 150 ball speed and 1.57 smash or something at 16 launch

Will confirm all of this

Again, it's great to hear about increases in ball speed, but by itself, it just doesn't paint a complete picture.

I remain skeptical that good for good yields improved smash. Based on the above, if you're hitting it on the nuts, it seems the expected average smash should be 1.49 with these new drivers. Unless MtlJeff can find a way to consistently replicate his 1.57 smash, his results are an anomaly. Perhaps the distance gains are more attributable to the shafts and expert fittings?

Here's a note about smash.

Trackman is GREAT at picking up the ball, but the clubhead is sometimes not calculated correctly. It's not a big difference, but when it happens, you'll get a smash factor that is "off the charts" like these.

Having said that the ball is VERY accurate and if the smash factor is 1.50+, it still means you had a great strike. #PoundTown

It's time...

Over a thousand GolfWRX Members applied to be part of an inside look at Callaway Golf. We really appreciate the amazing interest from the GolfWRX Community, but ultimately only 8 members could be selected to be part of this amazing once-in-a-lifetime experience. Here are the attendees (in alphabetical order):

They've kept the trip (mostly) quiet until now, but the time is here to post. All are excited for the experience.

We kick off officially 5PM Sunday night, Pacific Time with some night time at Ely Callaway Performance Center!

This is the first night event ever at ECPC, so it's going to be a blast.

More updates on Monday and Tuesday as we have a packed itinerary there as well.

They guys are chomping at the bit, so we're opening it up to posting and look forward to the community following along.

Enjoy!

- Hip

Awesome, congrats you lucky bastards, hope you have a blast!!!!!!

I just assumed Jeff's smash factor was a typo or mistake on his part. He really got a 1.57 smash? Is that even possible?

We're going to have to replace "screws" and start saying "hit that one right on the bars."

TaylorMade Driver
Tour Edge Exotics Fairways
Bridgestone Irons
Vokey Wedges
Byron Morgan Putter(s)
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/951653-mikey-towns-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

I just assumed Jeff's smash factor was a typo or mistake on his part. He really got a 1.57 smash? Is that even possible?

We're going to have to replace "screws" and start saying "hit that one right on the bars."

Yeah and re-write the laws of physics! 1.57 smash with a 99 swing would be a BS of 155.

Yeah and re-write the laws of physics! 1.57 smash with a 99 swing would be a BS of 155.

Trackman is GREAT at picking up the ball, but the clubhead is sometimes not calculated correctly. It's not a big difference, but when it happens, you'll get a smash factor that is "off the charts" like these.

Having said that the ball is VERY accurate and if the smash factor is 1.50+, it still means you had a great strike. #PoundTown

So on his other swings the club was measured at 105 and just this one strike had a inaccurate club but the BS remained the same?

Get that logic out of here and make the screenshot of that 1.57 smash your new avatar!

For the record, I wan't one of those Arnie wedges purely as a wall hanger.

#poundtown

#rightonthebars

#imnotonsocialmediasothisistheonlytimeigettousehashtags

TaylorMade Driver
Tour Edge Exotics Fairways
Bridgestone Irons
Vokey Wedges
Byron Morgan Putter(s)
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/951653-mikey-towns-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

So I wanted to share a little tidbit from last night before writing my big review. All the Callaway guys are so personable and fun to be around but Sean Toulon is on a whole different level. I got done playing on 18 at Torrey Pines and I sat down to eat our luncheon and Sean Toulon and Jason Finley sit next to me and we start chatting. I literally couldn't finish my meal because Sean was asking me so many questions and I was batting questions right back at him. We got to talking about a certain project that can't be named yet and started showing me stuff on his phone that none of us were even suppose to see or know existed. All while this is going on Finley is death starring Sean with a look that just screamed "why do keep doing this? They aren't suppose to know about this!" Sean literally couldn't wait to spill the beans on projects.

Awesome trip for you guys! Any chance that Sean has anything in the works with a center shaft?

I pegged it a tiny bit since it was the last club I was fitting and I chewed up the grass.

Strange thing is I hit a Fusion pure just a swing before and declared the 3 wood search over.

The next swing was with the new one and it obliterated it. Same shaft.

Was it the E or SZ? What shaft?

Smoke 9* GD IZ 5s
Smoke 🔹🔹🔹15* GD IZ 6s

T150's 5-PW KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 50/12F KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 54/10S KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 58/08M KBS Tour

Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto 
Nike 006 Rory Proto 

PRO V1 #36 or #70

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/973333-mnnikeguy-nike-oven-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]