2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

#TheWRX: The EPIC Event at Callaway Golf. 8 Members are treated to TheWRX

As someone playing an M2 (which was a big game changer for me this year), and who struggles with ball speed/smash factor I've made the following conclusions:

1) I see no reason to try the new M1 or M2

2) I will be trying the Epic and SZ once available

3) I can see why folks here like Callaway so much

I am left wondering what the point of the Fusion line is though?

Member of TMAG #TeamJetspeed 2013

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

still travelling, so I'll post a long review tomorrow. Ended up with low spin version of the new driver. Works good with my steep angle. You can't believe how happy/relieved I was to stripe that first Drive yesterday with the whole crew watching.

The video told it all :). Very awesome feeling to do that with a brand new stick and on a course like Torrey!

Forever Changing at this point.......

still travelling, so I'll post a long review tomorrow. Ended up with low spin version of the new driver. Works good with my steep angle. You can't believe how happy/relieved I was to stripe that first Drive yesterday with the whole crew watching.

That ball still hasn't come down yet! You hit it solid brother!

10.5* G430 Max Diamana BF 60

15* G430 Max Diamana Ahina 70

21* Apex UW Diamana Ilima 80
22* (bent 23*) X Forged UT KBS Proto

Apex   MB 5-PW $-Taper 

Vokey SM9 Raw 50F, 56F, 60T

Toulon La Grange SB w/ KBS CT Tour

Jones Players Series 003

I pegged it a tiny bit since it was the last club I was fitting and I chewed up the grass.

Strange thing is I hit a Fusion pure just a swing before and declared the 3 wood search over.

The next swing was with the new one and it obliterated it. Same shaft.

Was it the E or SZ? What shaft?

"Standard"

It's a new shaft so I can't say. Stinks, yes, but soon! It's a Fuji. Nothing exotic.

Follow our Two Guys Talkin Golf (TG2) Podcast on Instagram + Twitter + iTunes + SoundCloud
 Click here to grab a new "circle" avatar

I pegged it a tiny bit since it was the last club I was fitting and I chewed up the grass.

Strange thing is I hit a Fusion pure just a swing before and declared the 3 wood search over.

"Standard"

It's a new shaft so I can't say. Stinks, yes, but soon! It's a Fuji.

The new Platinum?

Smoke 9* GD IZ 5s
Smoke 🔹🔹🔹15* GD IZ 6s

T150's 5-PW KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 50/12F KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 54/10S KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 58/08M KBS Tour

Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto 
Nike 006 Rory Proto 

PRO V1 #36 or #70

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/973333-mnnikeguy-nike-oven-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

Here's a note about smash.

Trackman is GREAT at picking up the ball, but the clubhead is sometimes not calculated correctly. It's not a big difference, but when it happens, you'll get a smash factor that is "off the charts" like these.

Having said that the ball is VERY accurate and if the smash factor is 1.50+, it still means you had a great strike. #PoundTown

Which is why I recon GC2 w/HMT might be a better option if looking to measure smash? Regardless, the number remains 1.49 on average. I think it puts to bed any intrigue about above normal CT or COR.

Edit: On the other hand, it could be possible folks are getting 1.49 smash with less than quality strikes....

917 D2 8.50* - Tensei CK Pro White 60
917 F2 13.5* - Rogue Max 70
816 H2 19.0* - D+ Plus 90
716 T-MB (3i, 4i) - Modus 120
716 CB (5-PW) - Modus 120
Hogan TK15 - 49, 55
Edel Deschutes

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1457364-pitchinwedges-witb/page__p__15152218#entry15152218"][color=#0000ff][b]Photo WITB[/b][/color][/url]

As someone playing an M2 (which was a big game changer for me this year), and who struggles with ball speed/smash factor I've made the following conclusions:

>interesting that you would automatically discount another OEM's product that you are currently stating to have success with.

>if you weren't interested before in the 2017 CALLAWAY DRIVER - the "experience" that was shared by the guys here on WRX, performance aside, will push many of us to give it a run.

>CALLAWAY is creating a "hometown, feel good niche" here on WRX and from what others have said on other forums - hell they even have their own online forum. For a global company they have made their product feel intimate.

>i'm sure there is a reason for the fusion line, but it feels disconnected...first, a late year release. second it feels like a line "MADE FOR" enter sporting goods store here product.

I love the "New 2017 Callaway Driver" but since I can't show it, here's something for you...

0f16529362fbde19d142fa2f46269904.jpg

Now that I have taken the MXM 9ht out of the rotation, I think this would be a suitable replacement; it's a good thing they usually have this style in lefty^^

Rogue ST *** 10.5  // Epic SZ 9* (+1, heavy weight forward) 
GD Tour IZ 6X // HZRDUS Black RDX 6.0 (70G)  // UST Attas 6Star 6S  

TM RBZ Tour 5 (X1) // Callaway Steelhead XR 5W (Motore F3 90S) // TM M3 (Tensei Blue)

Nike VR split cavity 4 (R300), VR Pro Blades: 5 (S300), 6 (ss X1), 7-PW (X1)

Cally MD2 52T bent-50.5*(X1), TM Highh Toe 56 bent-54.5*(KBS 2.0), 60 PM'19 (X1ss), and 64 PM'19 (S300)

Odyssey EXO #7S SC Pistolero // YES! Donna  SC Pistolero

"Standard"

It's a new shaft so I can't say. Stinks, yes, but soon! It's a Fuji.

The new Platinum?

I think a $550 shaft qualifies as an exotic.

"Standard"

It's a new shaft so I can't say. Stinks, yes, but soon! It's a Fuji. Nothing exotic.

mmb9qajq9swpi8xxy76a_400x400.jpeg

Callaway Epic Speed Triple Diamond LS *9.0 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *15 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *18 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway 19' Apex Pros 4-Pw/ UST Recoil 125 Protos F4 
Callaway MD5 50W & 54W & 58X w/ UST Recoil 125
protos F4

Tyson Lamb Customed Long Neck Allendale 
#lookatthebaby #teamcallaway

A filler and it also took the place of the V series.. meant for guys/girls that need help but like those... it worked surprisingly well for golfers that didn't either.

Callaway Epic Speed Triple Diamond LS *9.0 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *15 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *18 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway 19' Apex Pros 4-Pw/ UST Recoil 125 Protos F4 
Callaway MD5 50W & 54W & 58X w/ UST Recoil 125
protos F4

Tyson Lamb Customed Long Neck Allendale 
#lookatthebaby #teamcallaway

How 'bout this group!

Great looking crew, but...Amanda would have made the picture better. Just sayin'...

Titleist TS3 8.5 HZDRUS 60 6.5
Titleist TS3 15 HZDRUS 70 6.5
Titleist 818H2 19 Aldila Phenom HYB 85 S
Callaway X-Forged 18 UT 21 KBS $Taper 120 S
Callaway X-Forged 18 4-PW KBS $Taper 120 S
Callaway Mack Daddy 4 52/10 S Grind and 58/8 C Grind KBS $Taper 120 S
Scotty Cameron Futura X 35"
Titleist Pro V1x

Obligatory swag compilation:

e48678ecdaec677d7704667b9654d104.jpg

I'm sure I'm forgetting something.

TI Taylormade SIM (9.0°) Tensei CK Pro Orange 70TX
TI Taylormade SIM Ti (15.4°) Tensei CK Pro Blue 80X
Callaway XR Pro (20°) Diamana White 90X
PING i210 (4i-UW) DG X100
Ping Glide 2.0 (54°) DG S400 TI
Artisan MT Grind (58°) DG S400
Taylormade Spider X Chalk SS

Taylormade TP5

That's unreal

That is what legends are made of. What a haul and from the sounds of it the company and trip was better than the gear.

Ping G425 LST w Accra TZ6CB      M5 Rocket 14* Accra RPG 472    CBX119 18* EvenFlow Black 
Mizuno MP20 MMC w KBS $Taper     Mizuno T22  50, 54, 60 - DG TI S400     LAB Mezz1 Max    OldSkool Ping L8
#TeamJetSpeed - Dec 2013

>interesting that you would automatically discount another OEM's product that you are currently stating to have success with.

>if you weren't interested before in the 2017 CALLAWAY DRIVER - the "experience" that was shared by the guys here on WRX, performance aside, will push many of us to give it a run.

>CALLAWAY is creating a "hometown, feel good niche" here on WRX and from what others have said on other forums - hell they even have their own online forum. For a global company they have made their product feel intimate.

>i'm sure there is a reason for the fusion line, but it feels disconnected...first, a late year release. second it feels like a line "MADE FOR" enter sporting goods store here product.

Yeah, my point about the M1/M2 is that I don't see the 2017 edition being a game changer compared to the 2016 version, at least from what I've seen written or said about it so far. The Epic appears to fall in a different category, but then again, they've been playing catchup to others, so will the Epic also be a slight upgrade? Not sure for me personally, but the evidence presented so far suggests it's worth shelling out the cash for a new driver

Yeah, my point about the M1/M2 is that I don't see the 2017 edition being a game changer compared to the 2016 version, at least from what I've seen written or said about it so far. The Epic appears to fall in a different category, but then again, they've been playing catchup to others, so will the Epic also be a slight upgrade? Not sure for me personally, but the evidence presented so far suggests it's worth shelling out the cash for a new driver

Mike

Let's be honest - you just like shinny new toys ? For the record - I thought our trip was pretty good. I think that a new bar has been set in this thread.

Oaks

Ping G425 LST w Accra TZ6CB      M5 Rocket 14* Accra RPG 472    CBX119 18* EvenFlow Black 
Mizuno MP20 MMC w KBS $Taper     Mizuno T22  50, 54, 60 - DG TI S400     LAB Mezz1 Max    OldSkool Ping L8
#TeamJetSpeed - Dec 2013

That's the most swag I've ever seen from a trip. Damn :o

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

Mike

Let's be honest - you just like shinny new toys ? For the record - I thought our trip was pretty good. I think that a new bar has been set in this thread.

Oaks

Yessir! Totally agree.

In fairness, I don't ho as much as I used to. In years past I'm totally doing a shootout going through 3-5 drivers before settling on one in mid summer. But not this time.

Ok that sounds way worse when I typed it out.

So I've talked a lot about how cool the Callaway guys are and totally neglected to give a shout out to the guys I went on the trip with. MTLJeff, QMany, Waterboy and Brizam are some of the funniest guys I've met. QMany can sure golf his ball as well. Greg729 and Hot Rod 71 were a ton of fun to talk to and were super nice guys but I think the MVP of the trip has to be Sean2. I talked a ton with Sean2 and got to play golf with him. He genuinely is too nice. We all benefited from the fittings a lot but the gains that Sean2 saw were really jaw dropping, I mean who gains 14mph in ballspeed? THAT'S RIDICULOUS!!

10.5* G430 Max Diamana BF 60

15* G430 Max Diamana Ahina 70

21* Apex UW Diamana Ilima 80
22* (bent 23*) X Forged UT KBS Proto

Apex   MB 5-PW $-Taper 

Vokey SM9 Raw 50F, 56F, 60T

Toulon La Grange SB w/ KBS CT Tour

Jones Players Series 003

So I've talked a lot about how cool the Callaway guys are and totally neglected to give a shout out to the guys I went on the trip with. MTLJeff, QMany, Waterboy and Brizam are some of the funniest guys I've met. QMany can sure golf his ball as well. Greg729 and Hot Rod 71 were a ton of fun to talk to and were super nice guys but I think the MVP of the trip has to be Sean2. I talked a ton with Sean2 and got to play golf with him. He genuinely is too nice. We all benefited from the fittings a lot but the gains that Sean2 saw were really jaw dropping, I mean who gains 14mph in ballspeed? THAT'S RIDICULOUS!!

Your trip looked amazing. I look forward to reading more in depth reviews.

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

My longest drive was something like 99mph swing with 2000rpm, 150 ball speed and 1.57 smash or something at 16 launch

Will confirm all of this

This is exactly what interests me. Whether you're indeed getting more ball speed with the same swing speed. You say it's not your average smash but 1.57 smash would indeed be a game changer!

I hit a reps demo heads and smash averaged at 1.49. I just don't believe they would give hot heads to reps especially when the general public wouldn't really get a chance to hit them. Too much trouble for what it's worth.

And then this comes J13's post, which is more in line with normal expectations. IIRC, you got slightly better smash and more ball speed, but it was really the by-product of a more club speed.

The highest I hit was 1.52 with the new Epic, I also hit the same number with the 917 on FS. Average was 1.49 for both Epic and SZ Epic

Now I'm really having a hard time believing the Epic is truly any "hotter" than anything else.

On the 2017 driver I increased my ball speed by 14 mph, added 25 yards of carry. That doesn't mean I will hit it like that every time, but still...

Again, it's great to hear about increases in ball speed, but by itself, it just doesn't paint a complete picture.

I remain skeptical that good for good yields improved smash. Based on the above, if you're hitting it on the nuts, it seems the expected average smash should be 1.49 with these new drivers. Unless MtlJeff can find a way to consistently replicate his 1.57 smash, his results are an anomaly. Perhaps the distance gains are more attributable to the shafts and expert fittings?

No question that is part of it, but the club head is so solid. You know when you close the door on a Mercedes Benz or BMW...that solid feel/sound you get? Maybe not the best analogy, but that is what the club head is like.