#TheWRX: The EPIC Event at Callaway Golf. 8 Members are treated to TheWRX

Sounds like another successful trip is in the books.

Well played gentlemen.

:)

Featured Writer For GolfWRX.com
                Editor Product Reviews
                Product Tester/Review Panel
                Winner TMag Naples Trip 2012
                See ya on the green...Kadin

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So just general question to guys reading, because we actually didn't discuss how we were going to roll this out once back (Hipcheck if you want to chime in)

This thread has been a lot of pics and talking about the trip which was awesome. But first and foremost we want to get you guys feedback on the stuff we hit, particularly the new driver and woods, but also putters, wedges....irons with different shafts and feedback on that etc etc....

I feel like that will get lost in here, and i am sure many of you have product related questions. I think all of us who were there don't want this to become us just making inside jokes about how awesome playing Torrey was or the like. We want to get you guys info on the products that is helpful or interesting

Should we start individual threads in the equipment forums on our bag fittings that will be just devoted to that? Do you want to see that? (Is that OK Rob or would that be too many open ones?)

I agree that the reviews would get lost in this thread. What about opening threads based on the type of club: one for 2017 drivers, one for 2017 wedges etc.? Then you Magnificent 8 could place your reviews individually in the relevant threads?

/Just my two-penn'orth

That's probably the best idea. Maybe Rob can chime in tomorrow. Just want to make sure we actually get you guys tangible reviews and stuff

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Obligatory swag compilation:

e48678ecdaec677d7704667b9654d104.jpg

I'm sure I'm forgetting something.

I NEED to know what is under that putter cover....

That has to be a #7, or Jailbird "O" Works

This is brutal not being able to see pics of anything. Did you guys have to sign something saying you would not share pictures until the general marketing release?

I will give Callaway this, they have created a lot of hype about all of this new stuff.

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

TSR3 24 AV Blue X-Link 75
T150 6-G PX LZ
SM9 52/12/F-56/10/S TI S200 
Toulon Portland Garage 
ProV1x

This is brutal not being able to see pics of anything. Did you guys have to sign something saying you would not share pictures until the general marketing release?

I will give Callaway this, they have created a lot of hype about all of this new stuff.

If they do, Callaway will reach out to their employers and get them fired

So just general question to guys reading, because we actually didn't discuss how we were going to roll this out once back (Hipcheck if you want to chime in)

This thread has been a lot of pics and talking about the trip which was awesome. But first and foremost we want to get you guys feedback on the stuff we hit, particularly the new driver and woods, but also putters, wedges....irons with different shafts and feedback on that etc etc....

I feel like that will get lost in here, and i am sure many of you have product related questions. I think all of us who were there don't want this to become us just making inside jokes about how awesome playing Torrey was or the like. We want to get you guys info on the products that is helpful or interesting

Should we start individual threads in the equipment forums on our bag fittings that will be just devoted to that? Do you want to see that? (Is that OK Rob or would that be too many open ones?)

I agree that the reviews would get lost in this thread. What about opening threads based on the type of club: one for 2017 drivers, one for 2017 wedges etc.? Then you Magnificent 8 could place your reviews individually in the relevant threads?

/Just my two-

Edit: Although this would likely be a pain in the neck to the Callaway 8, as they have to split up their reviews.

I agree that individual threads on the equipment would probably be the way to go.

"The Magnificent Eight" - that is absolutely perfect! You know you guys are all legends now, right?

Ping G410, 10.5 degree, Alta CB 55 Red

Taylormade RBZ, 15*, Matrix Ozik

Callaway Epic Super Hybrid, 18 degree, Aerotech Steelfiber FC

Callaway Rogue 4H, 21*, Aldila Synergy 60

Callaway Apex CF16, 5 - SW, Recoil 760

Callaway PM Grind 19, 60*

Rife 2 Bar Hybrid 

What an amazing event. Congrats to all the guys that got to go. Great job Callaway and golf wrx. Can't wait to try the new Callaway woods.

Ping G410 lst diamana bf
Ping g410lst 3 wood accra tz6
Epic flash 5 wood tensei blue
ping g410 tensei hybrid
Epon 705 5-gw Oban ct115
Callaway MD5 54/58
taylormade my spider 
ping hoofer
tp5x

Holy smokes. I was like Christmas. At some point, Callaway will need to claim you guys as dependents with as much as you got.

Q - I probably missed it but who signed the leather driver cover?

Mizuno JPX900 EvoIII S (weights center channel port 1 & 2)
Mizuno GT190 Atmos Blue 6S
Mizuno CLK 19* Speeder EVO HB S
Titleist 4i AMT S300
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5-G KBS Tour
Mizuno S18 54.8/58.8
Carbon Ringo 1/4
Balls : 2017 ProV1x / KSig / Vice Pro+

Think Q said it was a R-Line. Sounds like a new head shape.

OEM Certified Master Fitter

"Never forget that the luxury of being
wrong is not enough to make you right."
WITB Link

Honestly, I would prefer all of the guys opening a WITB thread/trip review.

This way the individual person can focus on the questions about their specific equipment/trip instead of what Rob or Greg, etc did or got.

It means multiple threads but everyone has their own thoughts, etc. to pass on and being able to see them all would be better, IMO.

Just a thought

Callaway Epic Speed Triple Diamond LS *9.0 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *15 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *18 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway 19' Apex Pros 4-Pw/ UST Recoil 125 Protos F4 
Callaway MD5 50W & 54W & 58X w/ UST Recoil 125
protos F4

Tyson Lamb Customed Long Neck Allendale 
#lookatthebaby #teamcallaway

While I agree I WANT the lefty MBs my goofy swing doesn't have the ability to get all I can out of them. I've been playing legacys for 2 seasons and they will most likely stay another spell.

Wait..you have lefty Callaway Legacys? I didnt think they made them those are the Stenson irons right?

They are the 2012 line...purple and gold but still forged. Great clubs

So when are the wedges coming to retail?

This thread is moving too fast for me to keep up.

They should be released after the Show.

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

c82f7ae487aa9082ded1b080d79ef013.jpg

That man looks familiar .... Hell, we spent three holes at The Orchards talking about In-N-Out!

LOL! Yeah. I went to my 1st In n Out (Because of him) last week when I was in Palo Alto. And ... he was RIGHT! (As usual!) :lol:

--kC

Ping 430Max 10k / Callaway UW 17 & 21 / Srixon ZX5 Irons (5-AW) / Vokey SM8 56* & 60*, Callaway, 64*

This is seriously unreal! It has been so cool to follow along with the trip. I can't wait to read the reviews and hopefully see more pictures!

Callaway and GolfWRX really know how to do it up!

Taylormade M5 w/ Tenesi Orange 60x 
Taylormade M5 3w/5w w/ Tenesi Orange 70x   
Callaway Apex Pro Combo PX 6.0
Vokey SM7 50, 54, 60
Scotty Cameron Newport 2
Titleist Pro-V1x

Back home to normal life.

Nite Nite

c9802fb84d6df900977efdd9f7709ca0.jpg

Its a shame you can't undress her before you put her to bed.

PXG Black Ops 10.5* - Tensei AV Raw White 65X

PXG Gen 6 0311 15* - Aldila Tour Blue 75X

PXG  Gen 5 0311 19* - Aldila Tour Blue 85X

PXG 0311T Gen 5 4-P - DG120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50*, 56*, 60* - DGTI S400

PXG Bat Attack H

Chrome Soft/Vice Pro Lime

Thanks for all of the great information sharing guys. I know if I were there I would have had a hard time juggling the awesome process you were going through and reporting for us.

Did any of you feel you were 100% properly fit before going? I can see some big gains for those who weren't but think it would be harder for those who were. If you did think you were in good shape heading out there, did it make you question how and where you were fit?

I was glad to see they kept you 2" over Sean. I was wondering if that would be something they were hesitant about but only confirms what some of us taller guys have been doing already. Thanks!

Fellow WRXers, please bear with me (us) as we return to normal life. We will get our reviews, stories and comments together ASAP so you can get all the info you desire (and there's a lot of it).

I will spend most of today attempting to decompress after such an awesome experience. My head is still spinning and jet lag has a hold of me after leaving the hotel at 6 am and arriving at my front door at 7:30 pm.

I want to offer a heart-felt "thank you" to those of you who are asking questions and commenting in a positive nature. The last thing we wan't is a thread full of trolling and bashing. It just isn't necessary. If you disagree, that's fine, just be polite. We are all golf fanatics and we are all passionate about this game, so let's keep things respectful.

PXG Bat Attack H

I'd rather all the attendees take their time to do write ups than just smash it out. I can only imagine the information overload.

Callaway 816 DBD - Mitsubishi MMT 70
PXG 0341X 3W - HZRDUS Yellow Hand Crafted
Callaway Epic SZ 5W - Aldila Tour Blue
Honma TW747V 4-10 - Accra 80i
Corey Paul Raw 50*

Vega VW-06 54*

Scratch 58*
Tour Cameron NP2

Fellow WRXers, please bear with me (us) as we return to normal life. We will get our reviews, stories and comments together ASAP so you can get all the info you desire (and there's a lot of it).

I will spend most of today attempting to decompress after such an awesome experience. My head is still spinning and jet lag has a hold of me after leaving the hotel at 6 am and arriving at my front door at 7:30 pm.

I want to offer a heart-felt "thank you" to those of you who are asking questions and commenting in a positive nature. The last thing we wan't is a thread full of trolling and bashing. It just isn't necessary. If you disagree, that's fine, just be polite. We are all golf fanatics and we are all passionate about this game, so let's keep things respectful.

I'm sure there will be at least one guy who will think this trip was some kind of a communist plot by Callaway's marketing department. :)

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

Callaway 2007 X-Forged 5-PW/ PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 / Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2.5+ 

Life is like riding a bicycle, to keep your balance you must keep moving

Part of me wants to say "take your time" and the other part of me is saying "hurry up!!!" :)

If yall create a whole new thread for the reviews, can you please post the link in here so that we don't miss them?

Thanks!!!

I'm sure there will be at least one guy who will think this trip was some kind of a communist plot by Callaway's marketing department. :)

Oh yes, I agree, no doubt about it.

As a WRX member who has been on the outside looking in during the first two trips, I can see that point of view. That's not say I agree with it, but I understand it.

I think Callaway is trying really hard to understand their customer base and they want feedback. They don't care if its positive or negative, they just want it. They feel its the only way to continue improving and making equipment that we, the consumers, enjoy using.

We had a round table discussion with Chip Brewer, Harry Arnett, Doc Hoc, Sean Toulon, and several more Callaway folks and they were quite candid with us on their approach. Things have really turned around under Chip's guidance. The people there are very happy and it shows in their work. He understands that creativity comes from the freedom to create.

PXG Bat Attack H

My dude Grant killed it today. I had about 40 feet for eagle on 18 and you know I wasn't leaving that sh*t short �

b0bab09913272a95e6e1f79ac7670a94.jpg

Spoke with him this evening and he was telling me about your round. Nicely done! And grant is good people.

Oh my, Grant is an awesome dude. I bet he saved you at least a few strokes out there.

What a small world!

When we were walking up the 6th fairway, I was talking to Grant and asked him if anyone told him why we were there or what was going on. He had no idea.

Q: "Have you ever heard of the internet golf community GolfWRX?"

G: "Yeah! I'm actually on there."

Q: "Have you ever seen posts from QMany?"

G: "Yeah, I know what guy you're talking about."

Q: "I'm that guy."

:cheesy:

I went on to explain the selection process and the events we'd experienced. We had a great time; he really is an awesome dude. I tried to get him to hit my "2017 Callaway Driver" but he wouldn't! We exchanged numbers and have already got in touch through GolfWRX PM.

That is what I love about this community.

TI Taylormade SIM (9.0°) Tensei CK Pro Orange 70TX
TI Taylormade SIM Ti (15.4°) Tensei CK Pro Blue 80X
Callaway XR Pro (20°) Diamana White 90X
PING i210 (4i-UW) DG X100
Ping Glide 2.0 (54°) DG S400 TI
Artisan MT Grind (58°) DG S400
Taylormade Spider X Chalk SS

Taylormade TP5

Part of me wants to say "take your time" and the other part of me is saying "hurry up!!!" :)

If yall create a whole new thread for the reviews, can you please post the link in here so that we don't miss them?

Thanks!!!

We will definitely post links here if other threads are created. However, its not up to me or any of the other participants if those threads happen.

I hope all of you can understand that we didn't have tons of downtime on our trip; they kept us moving almost all the time, with the exception of a couple of hours here and there. For many of us, at the end of the night we were just exhausted due to the time change and wanted nothing more than a good night's sleep, which was difficult knowing what was to come the next day.

I hope we did a fairly good job of keeping everyone up to date on our experience while it was happening. There were times when we were not allowed to have our phones out, so posting was limited. Also, when we arrived at Torrey Pines everyone was floating. It was like a dream and all we could do was look around, take it all in, and enjoy the moment.

PXG Bat Attack H

My dude Grant killed it today. I had about 40 feet for eagle on 18 and you know I wasn't leaving that sh*t short �

b0bab09913272a95e6e1f79ac7670a94.jpg

Spoke with him this evening and he was telling me about your round. Nicely done! And grant is good people.

Oh my, Grant is an awesome dude. I bet he saved you at least a few strokes out there.

What a small world!

When we were walking up the 6th fairway, I was talking to Grant and asked him if anyone told him why we were there or what was going on. He had no idea.

Q: "Have you ever heard of the internet golf community GolfWRX?"

G: "Yeah! I'm actually on there."

Q: "Have you ever seen posts from QMany?"

G: "Yeah, I know what guy you're talking about."

Q: "I'm that guy."

:cheesy:

I went on to explain the selection process and the events we'd experienced. We had a great time; he really is an awesome dude. I tried to get him to hit my "2017 Callaway Driver" but he wouldn't! We exchanged numbers and have already got in touch through GolfWRX PM.

That is what I love about this community.

The caddies were great except for dumb@$$ Tim and Regular Tim as Toulon so elegantly put it.

10.5* G430 Max Diamana BF 60

15* G430 Max Diamana Ahina 70

21* Apex UW Diamana Ilima 80
22* (bent 23*) X Forged UT KBS Proto

Apex   MB 5-PW $-Taper 

Vokey SM9 Raw 50F, 56F, 60T

Toulon La Grange SB w/ KBS CT Tour

Jones Players Series 003

Also, when we arrived at Torrey Pines everyone was floating. It was like a dream and all we could do was look around, take it all in, and enjoy the moment.

I was in a state of delirium. 10 minutes before we're about to tee off I realized that I lost my shoes and 6 new Callaway gloves. Turns out I just left them on the stone wall next to where our bags were staged. I was so excited, I just grabbed my new bag and forget about everything I brought!

TI Taylormade SIM (9.0°) Tensei CK Pro Orange 70TX
TI Taylormade SIM Ti (15.4°) Tensei CK Pro Blue 80X
Callaway XR Pro (20°) Diamana White 90X
PING i210 (4i-UW) DG X100
Ping Glide 2.0 (54°) DG S400 TI
Artisan MT Grind (58°) DG S400
Taylormade Spider X Chalk SS

Taylormade TP5

Thanks for all of the great information sharing guys. I know if I were there I would have had a hard time juggling the awesome process you were going through and reporting for us.

Did any of you feel you were 100% properly fit before going? I can see some big gains for those who weren't but think it would be harder for those who were. If you did think you were in good shape heading out there, did it make you question how and where you were fit?

I was glad to see they kept you 2" over Sean. I was wondering if that would be something they were hesitant about but only confirms what some of us taller guys have been doing already. Thanks!

With irons yes, 3 wood yes

Driver I was fit well for the anser it just wasn't giving me optimal launch. There were probably better options out there even other than the Callaway, so I would say in retrospect it wasn't an ideal head. I was launching if I recall like 12-15 degrees and 2500 or so rpm with the ahina... With the Callaway I was 15-17 with 2000-2200 with the d+

So I'd say there were most likely other drivers out there that would've been better fits than the anser. Just due to the sizeable difference.

3 wood and irons I was fit very well. I didn't gain yards with 3 wood. Irons I did gain a few due to a bit better launch conditions with apex pros but not like game changer

But I was fit into the same shafts I always use essentially

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Guys, I've been so overwhelmed with the information we've received on this trip it's been a struggle to keep it all organized. Perfect example is I think the guys chosen know quite a bit about golf equipment already but when we saw Dave Bartels who went to MIT talk to us about the process of constructing a golfball and the science behind it I don't think a single person knew what the hell he was talking about during his 45 minute lecture. The science and testing involved in making a little round ball is beyond absurd. Rest assured we will get you the reviews on all the goodies and blow your minds once we get our thoughts straight and we're allowed to name certain things by name. I've been feverishly typing thoughts and reviews on a word document and trying to get something that even remotely looks like a review for you guys to read once ready.

Brizam already finished his review on the new driver. All he did was posted his M2 on eBay the second he got back from Torrey Pines and tweeted to HashtagChad and Harry the link to the auction with a quote. "How's this for a review?"

That's pretty much all you need to know for right now. I went into this trip very excited but pretty skeptical. I promised to throw my driver into a wood chipper if I gained 7 mph ballspeed like some claims. I'm not skeptical anymore. I'm waiting on the screen grabs of my fitting to have the full numbers but I'm a believer in the technology. It's just really, really good.

10.5* G430 Max Diamana BF 60

15* G430 Max Diamana Ahina 70

21* Apex UW Diamana Ilima 80
22* (bent 23*) X Forged UT KBS Proto

Apex   MB 5-PW $-Taper 

Vokey SM9 Raw 50F, 56F, 60T

Toulon La Grange SB w/ KBS CT Tour

Jones Players Series 003

Thanks!!!

We will definitely post links here if other threads are created. However, its not up to me or any of the other participants if those threads happen.

I hope all of you can understand that we didn't have tons of downtime on our trip; they kept us moving almost all the time, with the exception of a couple of hours here and there. For many of us, at the end of the night we were just exhausted due to the time change and wanted nothing more than a good night's sleep, which was difficult knowing what was to come the next day.

I hope we did a fairly good job of keeping everyone up to date on our experience while it was happening. There were times when we were not allowed to have our phones out, so posting was limited. Also, when we arrived at Torrey Pines everyone was floating. It was like a dream and all we could do was look around, take it all in, and enjoy the moment.

For me, you kept all of us there as much as you could and show.

You and Q made he trip, for me at least, worth while to keep tuning in.

Don't fill pressure to add more or do more than have you to.

Trust me, since the " picturegate" everyone has waited, so we can wait a little longer to talk to people that hit them all/own them ;)

Callaway Epic Speed Triple Diamond LS *9.0 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *15 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *18 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway 19' Apex Pros 4-Pw/ UST Recoil 125 Protos F4 
Callaway MD5 50W & 54W & 58X w/ UST Recoil 125
protos F4

Tyson Lamb Customed Long Neck Allendale 
#lookatthebaby #teamcallaway