2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

#TheWRX: The EPIC Event at Callaway Golf. 8 Members are treated to TheWRX

Oh and MTLjeff can't forget about our Canadian brothers.

Callaway Epic Speed Triple Diamond LS *9.0 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *15 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *18 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway 19' Apex Pros 4-Pw/ UST Recoil 125 Protos F4 
Callaway MD5 50W & 54W & 58X w/ UST Recoil 125
protos F4

Tyson Lamb Customed Long Neck Allendale 
#lookatthebaby #teamcallaway

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We are attempting to get our Trackman information so we can share it here. I'm not sure it will happen, but we are trying. Some of the guys were smart enough to take photos of the results, but I was not. I was too busy being starry-eyed at my fitter who is Phil's personal club builder, Gerritt Pon. He is such a cool guy. This is him https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stL9_MBsDH4.

He was really knowledgeable about Trackman and the fitting process. He told me my current driver set-up (GBB with Rogue Silver 60X) was actually really good for me and the numbers were great. I was averaging 255 carry with 2500 spin, total distance of 275ish.

After I hit the new 2017 drivers, we concluded the standard was the best fit for me since my AoA was good and I was getting around 2200 spin with the standard model. I hit the low spin version fairly well, but my dispersion and overall performance was better with the standard.

After we decided on the right shaft I was getting 4-8 yards more carry and the same gain in total distance. This doesn't sound like much as there were others who had much more impressive gains. But as Gerritt said, my gamer was already a really good fit for me, and to get an extra 4-8 yards of carry was impressive.

Please feel free to ask any questions and I will do my best to answer. I have to run errands today so I may not answer immediately.

PXG Black Ops 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 6X

PXG Gen 5 0311 15* - Aldila Tour Blue 75X

PXG  Gen 5 0311 19* - Aldila Tour Blue 85X

PXG 0311T Gen 5 4-P - DG120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50*, 56*, 60* - DGTI S400

PXG Bat Attack H

Chrome Soft/Vice Pro Lime

13th at Torrey South, we dropped back to play the pro tees. They are WAAAAAY back. I walked it off.

That tee is way the heck back there, isn't it?! And to think there are guys on Tour who have reached that green in two from back there. That is some serious power.

Ping G430 LST 9* (set to 7.5*), 45", Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6x
Ping G430 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
Ping G430 Max 18* (set to 17*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x
Epon AF-306 4i + Epon AF-Tour CB2 5-PW, Nippon Modus 125X
Corey Paul 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

I'll start a thread today in equipment to get it going. I have a bit less to do today as i took the whole week off and unpacked yesterday night

I do have to renew my passport though, had a close call on that one too, expires next month. Me and my wife were talking about going to a beach somewhere around christmas but had to cancel so i could do this. Was worried if i tried to renew it before the trip i wouldn't have it back in time.

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Guys all I can say is WOW!!! That must have been a trip of a lifetime for a golf fanatic. You talk about being giddy like a kid at Christmas!!! Lol I've been following the trip from the start as we all have, and have been so pumped for you guys that got selected. Thanks for posting everything you could during the trip and can't wait to see what's underneath those head covers. I'd like to say thanks to GolfWrx and Callaway for giving these guys something special that they'll never forget. These events right here are what keeps us coming back to this great forum!! Can't wait until full reviews and the Epic release!! Merry Christmas everyone!!

13th at Torrey South, we dropped back to play the pro tees. They are WAAAAAY back. I walked it off.

That tee is way the heck back there, isn't it?! And to think there are guys on Tour who have reached that green in two from back there. That is some serious power.

I played with Tyler Shean at Callaway. He has recorded 127 CHS and can smash a ball. We both absolutely torched drives from back there, I think he told me we still had 275 left. That hole is a beast! I heard it is 260-270 just to clear the canyon and reach the fairway.

TI Taylormade SIM (9.0°) Tensei CK Pro Orange 70TX
TI Taylormade SIM Ti (15.4°) Tensei CK Pro Blue 80X
Callaway XR Pro (20°) Diamana White 90X
PING i210 (4i-UW) DG X100
Ping Glide 2.0 (54°) DG S400 TI
Artisan MT Grind (58°) DG S400
Taylormade Spider X Chalk SS

Taylormade TP5

Ahhh. Home!!!!47b72d4e14d013d234f757beffee96a4.jpg

Twitter: @itsnotgriffin
Site: [url="http://www.thebottomgroove.com/"]www.thebottomgroove.com[/url]

WITB:
Callaway Big Bertha Epic 10.5
Callaway BBA 5 Wood
Callaway XR 7 Wood - Frankenstyle
Apex Hybrid 23deg
Apex Pro 5i-PW
MD3 52, 56 W-Grind
MD3 60 PM Grind
Odyssey O-Works - #1/3T (putter commitment issues)

Ahhh. Home!!!!47b72d4e14d013d234f757beffee96a4.jpg

I am in Ohio and it is about the same here today. I was in Chicago Tuesday for a meeting and it was Brutally cold when we left that evening. That wind man.

Only temporary. The snow should push this right out.

WITB:
Callaway BBA 5 Wood
Apex Hybrid 23deg
Apex Pro 5i-PW
MD3 52, 56 W-Grind
MD3 60 PM Grind

I'm leaving on my honeymoon early Saturday morning, so I'm going to dedicate some time today and tomorrow to getting a comprehensive trip recap finished.

But if any of you have questions, please let us know. There was a lot of information to digest, and I'm sure it will be hard to remember and include everything in our recaps.

Taylormade TP5

My longest drive was something like 99mph swing with 2000rpm, 150 ball speed and 1.57 smash or something at 16 launch

Will confirm all of this

Again, it's great to hear about increases in ball speed, but by itself, it just doesn't paint a complete picture.

I remain skeptical that good for good yields improved smash. Based on the above, if you're hitting it on the nuts, it seems the expected average smash should be 1.49 with these new drivers. Unless MtlJeff can find a way to consistently replicate his 1.57 smash, his results are an anomaly. Perhaps the distance gains are more attributable to the shafts and expert fittings?

Here's a note about smash.

Trackman is GREAT at picking up the ball, but the clubhead is sometimes not calculated correctly. It's not a big difference, but when it happens, you'll get a smash factor that is "off the charts" like these.

Having said that the ball is VERY accurate and if the smash factor is 1.50+, it still means you had a great strike. #PoundTown

This is what happened to me with the King LTD Pro. Trackman consistently measured the clubhead speed about 3-5 mph lower than with other heads, and the smash it calculated was much higher than with other drivers.

Ping G430 Max 18* (set to 17*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x
Corey Paul 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

I'm leaving on my honeymoon early Saturday morning, so I'm going to dedicate some time today and tomorrow to getting a comprehensive trip recap finished.

But if any of you have questions, please let us know. There was a lot of information to digest, and I'm sure it will be hard to remember and include everything in our recaps.

WHOA! Golf trip followed up by honeymoon! Now that's cool! Question is, Where are you going and will it top the golf trip? LOL! ENJOY YOURSELF!

Callaway Epic Sub Zero - Aldila Rogue Silver I/O 70 Stiff
915F 3w - Kuro Kage Blue 70 X
M1 3 & 4 hybrid - Paderson Kinetixx Kevlar Green X flex
Callaway Apex CF 16 5-GW - Nippon NS PRO 1050GH
SM5 56*-08 M Grind, SM5 60*-08
Scotty Futura X5 32.5", Flatso 1.0
SM 2016 Sync, Clicgear 3.5+

I played with Tyler Shean at Callaway. He has recorded 127 CHS and can smash a ball. We both absolutely torched drives from back there, I think he told me we still had 275 left. That hole is a beast! I heard it is 260-270 just to clear the canyon and reach the fairway.

I played with Tyler on the ball factory trip in October. I will never forget when we both launched one on a par 5. I crushed it out there 315 or so (way long for me). Big high draw. He proceeds to uncork one a solid 45 yards past me. Then walks back to the cart like it's no big deal....

Long...the Llama...huge...

We are attempting to get our Trackman information so we can share it here. I'm not sure it will happen, but we are trying. Some of the guys were smart enough to take photos of the results, but I was not. I was too busy being starry-eyed at my fitter who is Phil's personal club builder, Gerritt Pon. He is such a cool guy. This is him https://www.youtube....?v=stL9_MBsDH4.

I find it's always a challenge to get shot data from club fittings. I'm not familiar with all the features of various LM software, but the club-fitters almost always say they're unable to email or otherwise send the shot-by-shot data. My guess is they just don't want to because I know it was possible 6 years ago (way back in 2011). After a fitting on Trackman, I was provided a full shot-by-shot report for each head/shaft/setting tested during the session.

After we decided on the right shaft I was getting 4-8 yards more carry and the same gain in total distance. This doesn't sound like much as there were others who had much more impressive gains. But as Gerritt said, my gamer was already a really good fit for me, and to get an extra 4-8 yards of carry was impressive.

Until you get the data it's unclear where your 4-8 yards came from. However, it sounds like the shaft you were fit into contributed to higher club speed.

917 D2 8.50* - Tensei CK Pro White 60
917 F2 13.5* - Rogue Max 70
816 H2 19.0* - D+ Plus 90
716 T-MB (3i, 4i) - Modus 120
716 CB (5-PW) - Modus 120
Hogan TK15 - 49, 55
Edel Deschutes

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1457364-pitchinwedges-witb/page__p__15152218#entry15152218"][color=#0000ff][b]Photo WITB[/b][/color][/url]

BTW, when you guys see more pics....remember i'm about 6 foot and 170lbs.

I'm like the smallest guy in every picture. The guys who went on this trip were HUGE. A lot of guys at Callaway were big guys too

Sean2 is like 7'5'. I think he covered Shaq in the 1996 NBA finals

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

I'm like the smallest guy in every picture. The guys who went on this trip were HUGE. A lot of guys at Callaway were big guys too

LOL! Yeah, people do have a tendency to "look up to him".

--kC

Ping 430Max 10k / Callaway UW 17 & 21 / Srixon ZX5 Irons (5-AW) / Vokey SM8 56* & 60*, Callaway, 64*

We are attempting to get our Trackman information so we can share it here. I'm not sure it will happen, but we are trying. Some of the guys were smart enough to take photos of the results, but I was not. I was too busy being starry-eyed at my fitter who is Phil's personal club builder, Gerritt Pon. He is such a cool guy. This is him https://www.youtube....?v=stL9_MBsDH4.

He was really knowledgeable about Trackman and the fitting process. He told me my current driver set-up (GBB with Rogue Silver 60X) was actually really good for me and the numbers were great. I was averaging 255 carry with 2500 spin, total distance of 275ish.

After I hit the new 2017 drivers, we concluded the standard was the best fit for me since my AoA was good and I was getting around 2200 spin with the standard model. I hit the low spin version fairly well, but my dispersion and overall performance was better with the standard.

Please feel free to ask any questions and I will do my best to answer. I have to run errands today so I may not answer immediately.

I am impressed with all the comments from the trip. I currently use the 2016 SZ and during the fitting I gained 18 yards. I have been interested in you comments on the gains you made with the new fitting with the new EPIC. From what I have been told that I can expect some gain in yards with the right fitting (shaft etc). So keep the review comments coming.

I find it's always a challenge to get shot data from club fittings. I'm not familiar with all the features of various LM software, but the club-fitters almost always say they're unable to email or otherwise send the shot-by-shot data. My guess is they just don't want to because I know it was possible 6 years ago (way back in 2011). After a fitting on Trackman, I was provided a full shot-by-shot report for each head/shaft/setting tested during the session.

I was going to take pictures of my Trackman results, but my fitter asked for my email and said he'd email them to me to make it easier. Yesterday, I emailed him directly to request the report. I'll continue to try to get the numbers and include them in my fitting experience.

Taylormade TP5

Remember, I'm taller than you and around 140! Plus I can't grow a wicked beard like Bram so I looked like a 10 year old!

10.5* G430 Max Diamana BF 60

15* G430 Max Diamana Ahina 70

21* Apex UW Diamana Ilima 80
22* (bent 23*) X Forged UT KBS Proto

Apex   MB 5-PW $-Taper 

Vokey SM9 Raw 50F, 56F, 60T

Toulon La Grange SB w/ KBS CT Tour

Jones Players Series 003

Also, when we arrived at Torrey Pines everyone was floating. It was like a dream and all we could do was look around, take it all in, and enjoy the moment.

I was in a state of delirium. 10 minutes before we're about to tee off I realized that I lost my shoes and 6 new Callaway gloves. Turns out I just left them on the stone wall next to where our bags were staged. I was so excited, I just grabbed my new bag and forget about everything I brought!

When I played Torrey, we had the first tee time of the day, so we had to get up super early, and I had overindulged at the bar at a work conference the night before, and in my haste to get out the door, I forgot my shoes. I still have the shoes I had to buy in the pro shop. The Torrey Pines pro shop is not exactly a great place to get great deals on apparel...so consider yourself lucky you only left them where you did!

I was ecstatic that i made a birdie at Torrey (second hole). And played pretty OK on the front considering i hadn't played an outdoor round in a month (i was 39 on the front i think). The back was tougher

Matt was having difficulty remembering which holes he didn't birdie.

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Please include a trip recap from your honeymoon too. We want to see your mantrack numbers :).

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping G425 Crossover 3, i20 4-PW (DI-95X, PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

Guys, I've been following every word of this thread since it's inception. As it has been said many times before, what an incredible experience. From the fitting opportunity, meeting great people, the equipment, playing Torrey, etc. The thing that I can't stop thinking about however is the black Callaway/Odyssey jacket. Damn that is cool.

Titleist TSr 3 10°, Ventus Blue 6s
Titleist TSr 2 16.5°, Ventus Blue 7s

Ping G430 3, 4, 5 hybrid, Alta CB Black 70s

PXG 0317T 6-GW Mitsubishi MMT 80s
Vokey SM9 54° D, 60° T, KBS TGI 95s

L.A.B. Mezz.1 Max 35”, Accra

I was going to take pictures of my Trackman results, but my fitter asked for my email and said he'd email them to me to make it easier. Yesterday, I emailed him directly to request the report. I'll continue to try to get the numbers and include them in my fitting experience.

That's super cool of him and I hope you get your data shortly. Once you get it, I wouldn't be surprised if you can actually recall some, or many, of the swings shown in the data. I don't know how we're able to do it, but it's freaky and yet cool at the same time.

917 D2 8.50* - Tensei CK Pro White 60
917 F2 13.5* - Rogue Max 70
816 H2 19.0* - D+ Plus 90
716 T-MB (3i, 4i) - Modus 120
716 CB (5-PW) - Modus 120
Hogan TK15 - 49, 55
Edel Deschutes

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1457364-pitchinwedges-witb/page__p__15152218#entry15152218"][color=#0000ff][b]Photo WITB[/b][/color][/url]

That's super cool of him and I hope you get your data shortly. Once you get it, I wouldn't be surprised if you can actually recall some, or many, of the swings shown in the data. I don't know how we're able to do it, but it's freaky and yet cool at the same time.

I took a picture of my data and its super hard to read. I only took it for my driver and it was the average for comparing my driver. I'll post it in my write up, but I'll also do my best to decipher it.

WITB:
Callaway BBA 5 Wood
Apex Hybrid 23deg
Apex Pro 5i-PW
MD3 52, 56 W-Grind
MD3 60 PM Grind

I was ecstatic that i made a birdie at Torrey (second hole). And played pretty OK on the front considering i hadn't played an outdoor round in a month (i was 39 on the front i think). The back was tougher

Total length from tees you guys played?

Total length from tees you guys played?

Jeff can chime in with meters.

I think it was 6600 - 6700 yds but played like it was 9,000,000 yds.

WITB:
Callaway BBA 5 Wood
Apex Hybrid 23deg
Apex Pro 5i-PW
MD3 52, 56 W-Grind
MD3 60 PM Grind