#TheWRX: The EPIC Event at Callaway Golf. 8 Members are treated to TheWRX

I dropped my handicap 1 stroke to a 7.2. No practicing at all. Whenever I had some time, I played. Very happy with the Steelhead irons. On the plane home last Dec, I was thinking that I should have gotten the Apex CF16s and stayed with steel shafts. I had the best iron season I can remember, especially the past 2 months. I am hitting more irons close than ever before. Plus, with the graphite, my wrists and shoulders are still functioning after the round. A BIG bonus. MD3 wedges are great, I got the wide soles and they are perfect around here. I picked up a Black 7s a few weeks ago. I was right on average with my O-Works #1 and I'm still in the honeymoon phase with the 7s. Very happy all around

I think we need to invited back this winter to have a 1 year focus group. :taunt: :taunt: :taunt: :taunt:

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven’t been on wrx too much lately. Bram, I’m glad you and your family are safe!

10.5* G430 Max Diamana BF 60

15* G430 Max Diamana Ahina 70

21* Apex UW Diamana Ilima 80
22* (bent 23*) X Forged UT KBS Proto

Apex   MB 5-PW $-Taper 

Vokey SM9 Raw 50F, 56F, 60T

Toulon La Grange SB w/ KBS CT Tour

Jones Players Series 003

My game was really coming into good form before the dreaded Harvey... Now I'm struggling to find the middle. I'm sure it will come around, hopefully before the member/member this weekend.

As for whats currently in the bag......

Taylormade M1 (the Epic SZ is longer by a couple of yards on best shots, but for some reason I cant seem to play good rounds of golf with it. The misses are much worse with the Epic.)

Epic 3 wood but I chopped a 1/2" off what i was fitted for.

Srixon U45 18*... never got along with the Apex hybrid. I will prob pick up the next Callaway UT when it comes out.

As for irons I've been alternating between my Srixons and an old set of Mizzy Mp68. After seeing the Japan Callaway X-forged I'm very interested in giving them a go.

Still loving my Callaway MD Forged Wedges. Starting to lose a bit of spin on the 58* now so I will be ordering one soon.

Also still rolling the Odyssey RSX V-Line Fang, also picked up a Black O-Works 7s and really like it too, just need to flatten the lie a few degrees.

I would also like to get a set of the upcoming Apex MB. I love blades, theres just something about them that is so satisfying. I know using them probably costs me a few shots here and there but i don't care. I'm an 8ish hcp, and don't really have the time to improve that right now, its all about having fun for me.

Glad to hear you were safe, Bram!

Best season for me. I now break 80 more often than not. Low of 68, a couple of 71's and a 72. Since July 1st, my HI has dropped 5 points.

Used the clubs we received last December. Have no plans, or any inclination to change anything.

Sean, that is mighty impressive! The clubs sure are working! I’ve had a very, very good year of scoring on my own as well. I don’t feel like I’m really striking it much better but my flight and dispersion has been fantastic.

Apex   MB 5-PW $-Taper 

Jones Players Series 003

Glad to hear you were safe, Bram!

Best season for me. I now break 80 more often than not. Low of 68, a couple of 71's and a 72. Since July 1st, my HI has dropped 5 points.

Used the clubs we received last December. Have no plans, or any inclination to change anything.

Sean, that is mighty impressive! The clubs sure are working! I've had a very, very good year of scoring on my own as well. I don't feel like I'm really striking it much better but my flight and dispersion has been fantastic.

Thanks Paul!

Yes, the clubs are working. The funny thing about not buying and selling all the time is that I now have a "familiarity" with these clubs I never had with others, i.e., I know what they will do...if that makes any sense.

Glad to hear you are scoring so well. :-)

I dropped my handicap 1 stroke to a 7.2. No practicing at all. Whenever I had some time, I played. Very happy with the Steelhead irons. On the plane home last Dec, I was thinking that I should have gotten the Apex CF16s and stayed with steel shafts. I had the best iron season I can remember, especially the past 2 months. I am hitting more irons close than ever before. Plus, with the graphite, my wrists and shoulders are still functioning after the round. A BIG bonus. MD3 wedges are great, I got the wide soles and they are perfect around here. I picked up a Black 7s a few weeks ago. I was right on average with my O-Works #1 and I'm still in the honeymoon phase with the 7s. Very happy all around

I think we need to invited back this winter to have a 1 year focus group. :taunt: :taunt: :taunt: :taunt:

That's good golf Greg, especially with no practice. Unlike you talented fellows, I have to continue to work hard on this game. lol

Pun Intended*

This may really be the most EPIC trip thread ever on this board. Its either this trip or the TM trip with Hank Haney and the Pro-Am spot are the two I am the most jealous of.

Kyle

Taylor Made M6, 9*, Project X Hzrdus Black 6.5, 75g
Taylor Made RBZ Tour Spoon - Aldila RIP Alpha 80X
Taylor Made SLDR 19* Hybrid KBS C-Taper 130-X
Mizuno MP-53 4-9 DG X-100
Vokey 46,50,54,58 DG S-400
Odyssey O-Works Black Jailbird Mini S
TaylorMade TP5X

Pun Intended*

This may really be the most EPIC trip thread ever on this board. Its either this trip or the TM trip with Hank Haney and the Pro-Am spot are the two I am the most jealous of.

It's still very fresh in my memory...which is saying something. lol

I still have no plans on changing any of the equipment I was fit for, and for me that is saying something.

Shot a 69 today (par 70). 13 of my last 20 rounds have been in the 70s. I think there is something to be said for holding onto clubs. As I have said in the past, I used to buy and sell with the best of them, and never was able to develop a real familiarity with my equipment. For the first time I know how each club will "work". I don't know if anyone else has noticed a difference in playing the same equipment over a longer period of time...perhaps it is just me.. :-)

Shot a 69 today (par 70). 13 of my last 20 rounds have been in the 70s. I think there is something to be said for holding onto clubs. As I have said in the past, I used to buy and sell with the best of them, and never was able to develop a real familiarity with my equipment. For the first time I know how each club will "work". I don't know if anyone else has noticed a difference in playing the same equipment over a longer period of time...perhaps it is just me.. :-)

My CF16 irons are just amazing. I loved my XRs but these are in an all different class of wow. Weaker lofts that go longer and higher.

I have promised myself that, since my current bag is working so well for me, I am going to stick with what I have got for awhile. Trouble with me is "awhile" could be as long as 4 or 5 years or as little as a month.

Sigh......

Callaway Epic with Fujikura 62s in 45.25 set at 12.5*
Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
Callaway X-Hot Pro 20* Hybrid
Callaway Steelhead 4-PW w/KBS 90s
Titleist Vokey 50*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 56*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 60-08 M
Tad Moore TM-1 35"
Callaway Chrome Soft

My CF16 irons are just amazing. I loved my XRs but these are in an all different class of wow. Weaker lofts that go longer and higher.

I have promised myself that, since my current bag is working so well for me, I am going to stick with what I have got for awhile. Trouble with me is "awhile" could be as long as 4 or 5 years or as little as a month.

Sigh......

Lol! :-)

I also noticed that the lofts on my CF16's are weaker than the last set I had. And compared to some out there the lofts are downright primitive. lol

I don't like how quiet this thread has gotten. It needs a pep talk! Is anyone planning on ordering something new? I think I'm going to order the new X forged in the same specs I was fit into.

Apex   MB 5-PW $-Taper 

Jones Players Series 003

I don't like how quiet this thread has gotten. It needs a pep talk! Is anyone planning on ordering something new? I think I'm going to order the new X forged in the same specs I was fit into.

I'm thinking of ordering the Steelhead XR's in a full iron set.

Kind of an odd choice i know, but i ordered the 3 iron to use as a hybrid, and it's just so damn easy to hit. I want to get the full set. I don't think i'm going to play more than 30-40 rounds next year, so i don't know. I'm wondering if maybe a more forgiving set might be the ticket. They look OK in the bag too

Part of me will always be a GI/SGI person too

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

The upcoming MBs look really good. Once they release the new Apex Pros I may get a combo set of Apex Pro/MB.

The new X-Forged look great, but it sounds like they are bigger than the original X-Forged line.

PXG Black Ops 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 6X

PXG Gen 5 0311 15* - Aldila Tour Blue 75X

PXG  Gen 5 0311 19* - Aldila Tour Blue 85X

PXG 0311T Gen 5 4-P - DG120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50*, 56*, 60* - DGTI S400

PXG Bat Attack H

Chrome Soft/Vice Pro Lime

I know I’ll order new wedges too since my grooves are wearing down a little. They’re still in pretty good shape but they won’t last forever. Anything I’ll order will be in my fitted specs from the trip.

I did just buy a hot melt gun to play with. I’m not sure why.

Apex   MB 5-PW $-Taper 

Jones Players Series 003

I gotta say my one and only regret from this trip is that I wished I stayed up later each night enjoying the time with the group. I’m not a late night guy at all and was beat by the end of every day.

Apex   MB 5-PW $-Taper 

Jones Players Series 003

I've got a lot to catch up on.

I did change shafts in my irons from the steelfiber to set of kbs. I couldn't adjust to the light weight in my irons. So I'll ride these out until I blow out my elbow.

I also got a black 3T when it became available and I've really liked that.

My wedges probably have one more year on them before they need to be replaced, at least on the 52. The 56 and 60 might go before that.

I've been using club money for lesson money and have been seeing some changes since March. My outside playing season has about a month left before it really gets spotty. Not sure how I'll approach the winter. Probably the indoor dome and working on stuff at home in the basement.

Other then that my summer went quick. Chicago had record flooding in July that ended up killing a lot of time I had to play and we took some trips with the kids. Going to try to fit in a few more rounds before the season ends.

Twitter: @itsnotgriffin
Site: [url="http://www.thebottomgroove.com/"]www.thebottomgroove.com[/url]

WITB:
Callaway Big Bertha Epic 10.5
Callaway BBA 5 Wood
Callaway XR 7 Wood - Frankenstyle
Apex Hybrid 23deg
Apex Pro 5i-PW
MD3 52, 56 W-Grind
MD3 60 PM Grind
Odyssey O-Works - #1/3T (putter commitment issues)

I know I'll order new wedges too since my grooves are wearing down a little. They're still in pretty good shape but they won't last forever. Anything I'll order will be in my fitted specs from the trip.

I did just buy a hot melt gun to play with. I'm not sure why.

I picked up two new wedges...I practice my short game a lot, and play quite a bit as well...so next season I will use the old wedges for practice, and the new ones for play (same specs as the old wedges).

Has anyone been keeping up with Q? Looked like he had a decent year on the am circuit.

Twitter: @itsnotgriffin
Site: [url="http://www.thebottomgroove.com/"]www.thebottomgroove.com[/url]

WITB:
Callaway Big Bertha Epic 10.5
Callaway BBA 5 Wood
Callaway XR 7 Wood - Frankenstyle
Apex Hybrid 23deg
Apex Pro 5i-PW
MD3 52, 56 W-Grind
MD3 60 PM Grind
Odyssey O-Works - #1/3T (putter commitment issues)

Has anyone been keeping up with Q? Looked like he had a decent year on the am circuit.

I didn't know he had been playing tournaments. I thought he spent his time slaying dragons in court.

I remember him being a very likable fellow, with a very tidy golf swing. I wonder if his bag is the same. Lol

Probably gone full bag of Taylormade.

Hey, stranger. My competitive season finishes up next week with the Kansas Mid Amateur. It has been a solid year so far. In May, I played in the Kanza Players Cup, pitting the Top 8 mid amateurs from East and West Kansas against eachother in a Ryder Cup event. In June and July, I qualified for the Kansas Amateur and made the match play cut. In August, I made it to the Quarterfinals of the Heart of America Fourball and finished T8 at the High Plains Amateur.

I wonder if his bag is the same. Lol

My bag is the exact same as John fit me for at the ECPC.

That includes the XR Pro 20* Hybrid I struggled with a little at the beginning. He sent me an Apex to test because it was more neutral weighted, but I found full confidence in the XR Pro since it does not want to go right.

I am due for a new 60* wedge during the offseason. The new Mack Daddy 4 looks good!

c8cd2f6e132002745916d5bd6dc5b57a.jpg

TI Taylormade SIM (9.0°) Tensei CK Pro Orange 70TX
TI Taylormade SIM Ti (15.4°) Tensei CK Pro Blue 80X
Callaway XR Pro (20°) Diamana White 90X
PING i210 (4i-UW) DG X100
Ping Glide 2.0 (54°) DG S400 TI
Artisan MT Grind (58°) DG S400
Taylormade Spider X Chalk SS

Taylormade TP5