#TheWRX: The EPIC Event at Callaway Golf. 8 Members are treated to TheWRX

Yeah best of luck to all you guys in 2018!

Since there was no trip this year it's still on us to represent on WRX. So i'm renewing all Callaway homerism for at least 12 more months. LOL.

I finished painting my house which is nice. I think every week between now and March i have something scheduled (floors, bathroom guys, HVAC, Kitchen, Window well guy....I think i've forgotten 2-3 other guys. Thank god for the calender on my phone)

If this place is done before my daughter is born (we picked a name, it will be Juliette)....it will be a minor miracle!

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those X Forgeds look so good!

Does anyone else have any new club plans? I desperately need new wedges, but I think I’ll wait for the MD4. I hope they have a raw option or I’ll have to strip the black.

TI Taylormade SIM (9.0°) Tensei CK Pro Orange 70TX
TI Taylormade SIM Ti (15.4°) Tensei CK Pro Blue 80X
Callaway XR Pro (20°) Diamana White 90X
PING i210 (4i-UW) DG X100
Ping Glide 2.0 (54°) DG S400 TI
Artisan MT Grind (58°) DG S400
Taylormade Spider X Chalk SS

Taylormade TP5

Those X Forgeds look so good!

Does anyone else have any new club plans? I desperately need new wedges, but I think I'll wait for the MD4. I hope they have a raw option or I'll have to strip the black.

I will replace my wedges as I practice my short game a lot, as well as play a lot of golf. However, they will be the exact same wedges I have now. My bag will look like it does now, and as it did last year at this time. :-)

I still have everything in my bag that I was fit for. I did order a set of Apex MB’s to try out. They are the matching specs of my Apex Pros from the trip. I will also order some MD4 wedges to replace my MD3’s when the grooves are shot. I still have plenty of life in them though.

10.5* G430 Max Diamana BF 60

15* G430 Max Diamana Ahina 70

21* Apex UW Diamana Ilima 80
22* (bent 23*) X Forged UT KBS Proto

Apex   MB 5-PW $-Taper 

Vokey SM9 Raw 50F, 56F, 60T

Toulon La Grange SB w/ KBS CT Tour

Jones Players Series 003

I still hate you guys. ;)

Smoke 9* GD IZ 5s
Smoke 🔹🔹🔹15* GD IZ 6s

T150's 5-PW KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 50/12F KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 54/10S KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 58/08M KBS Tour

Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto 
Nike 006 Rory Proto 

PRO V1 #36 or #70

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/973333-mnnikeguy-nike-oven-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

Mostly same stuff for me. I changed the shafts in my Irons and I got a 3T putter.

That's all I can think of at this point.

Twitter: @itsnotgriffin
Site: [url="http://www.thebottomgroove.com/"]www.thebottomgroove.com[/url]

WITB:
Callaway Big Bertha Epic 10.5
Callaway BBA 5 Wood
Callaway XR 7 Wood - Frankenstyle
Apex Hybrid 23deg
Apex Pro 5i-PW
MD3 52, 56 W-Grind
MD3 60 PM Grind
Odyssey O-Works - #1/3T (putter commitment issues)

I am probably going to go with an eight club set up this upcoming season. Why? I really like carrying, but 14 clubs is too much to haul around for this old guy. I don't really care for push carts: they are heavy, it's a pain to set them up and tear them down, the wheels and tires accumulate a lot of grass and dirt, and have to be cleaned after every round, and still a lot of detritus ends up in the car. I don't care much either for all the bouncing around they do either.

By carrying, all I have to do is put the bag in the car, and just take it out and go once I get to the golf course. I will probably go with the following set up:

Driver

7-wood set to 22º

6, 8, PW

54º / 58º

Putter

I tried this the last two rounds I played (December 6th was the last round...December has not been cooperating at all. lol), and shot a 34 for 9 (par 35), and a 72 for 18 (par 70).

It simplifies my bag as well in that I don't have to rummage around looking for the right club. They are all easy to see and extract.

The only exception I will make is if I am playing a course where a cart is required, which doesn't happen too often.

I’m a ho and that hasn’t changed.

Driver is Epic SZ Or 2017 M2. Depends on my mood.

3 wood I’m back to my 2016 m2.

2 iron I’m back to my Srixon u45 (it may never lose this spot)

4-pw Mizuno MP 18 combo set

Mack daddy forged wedges. (Just ordered a new 58 yesterday)

Odyssey RSX fang still holding strong. But a Toulon Memphis has been tempting me.

Looks like I lied. I have a new driver coming. Our Callaway Rep places an order for the 2018 driver for me and I just got a shipment notification. Looks like it’ll be here on Tuesday!

Apex   MB 5-PW $-Taper 

Jones Players Series 003

Sean, i'm not sure if i mentioned it in this thread but the last 5 rounds of this season me and a friend played 1-club golf. I actually bought a quiver, and put a few balls in my pocket and played full rounds with a 5 iron. It's actually a lot of fun to carry a really light bag, or in my case no bag

I'm still playing the exact same clubs i was fit for except for a Steelhead 3 iron instead of an Apex hybrid

I'm hitting the ball really well. I hope i get to play this year

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Sean, i'm not sure if i mentioned it in this thread but the last 5 rounds of this season me and a friend played 1-club golf. I actually bought a quiver, and put a few balls in my pocket and played full rounds with a 5 iron. It's actually a lot of fun to carry a really light bag, or in my case no bag

I'm still playing the exact same clubs i was fit for except for a Steelhead 3 iron instead of an Apex hybrid

I'm hitting the ball really well. I hope i get to play this year

That's really cool Jeff! I was thinking of going out with 1 club as well; something different, something fun. Of course, given our weather that might not be for a while...a long while.

I am sure you will get to play, perhaps not as much, but both you and your wife will need some "me" time. I could probably chip with a 3-iron but that's about it. lol

By the way, I finally purchased something: I picked up a Galvin Green Achilles jacket and a pair of ProQuip Stormforce PX5 trousers, at a great price too. Finally, I can play golf in the rain and stay dry. :-)

This cold weather has been rather depressing. I have quite the itch to play some golf but it looks like I won’t get to play for quite some time.

Apex   MB 5-PW $-Taper 

Jones Players Series 003

What's it where you are Paul? We're on week two of -20 or lower now. Supposed to get warmer mid next-week

I swear , -6 is going to feel like summer.

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

What's it where you are Paul? We're on week two of -20 or lower now. Supposed to get warmer mid next-week

I swear , -6 is going to feel like summer.

It’s certainly not as bad as you have it. We’re in the low single digits at night and topping of at about 14*F during the day mostly. Last week we had a high of 3*F on Wednesday I think.

I don’t have the mental fortitude to handle the cold.

Apex   MB 5-PW $-Taper 

Jones Players Series 003

I went in to our local (well, 1-hr away) GolfGalaxy and I ended up with the lead guy having me try a number of drivers, making suggestive changes while I was hitting in the hitting bay. I was using a Callaway Fusion and Ping driver and I asked about the Epic. His comment floored me as I thought this was Callaway's flagship driver, coming out with the 'jailbreak' thing. But he said he's heard that they may be doing away with the Epic, that because they made the head so light in moving weight around that it had a lot of weak points in the head that have not held up, and has literally been falling apart more often than they wish, so that's why they are doing away with it. Any truth to this? From the way I observed him later, he seemed to be qualified as a fitter (said, I can fit your, but most of my staff are also qualified fitters if you wish) and was ordering people around to do various tasks, I presumed he was management in that Golf Galaxy store.

GHIN Index 12.9
LH Epic Flash Driver-LH, 10.5*, Project X EvenFlow Riptide 50 (Light)
LH Callaway Rogue 5-wood (18*), 7-wood (20*); Aldila Synergy 60-Reg
LH Callaway Rogue ST Pro 4-AW, Recoil Dart 75 F3
LH Cleveland RTX 50*, 54*, 58*
LH Odyssey Double Wide Stroke Lab Putter

I went in to our local (well, 1-hr away) GolfGalaxy and I ended up with the lead guy having me try a number of drivers, making suggestive changes while I was hitting in the hitting bay. I was using a Callaway Fusion and Ping driver and I asked about the Epic. His comment floored me as I thought this was Callaway's flagship driver, coming out with the 'jailbreak' thing. But he said he's heard that they may be doing away with the Epic, that because they made the head so light in moving weight around that it had a lot of weak points in the head that have not held up, and has literally been falling apart more often than they wish, so that's why they are doing away with it. Any truth to this? From the way I observed him later, he seemed to be qualified as a fitter (said, I can fit your, but most of my staff are also qualified fitters if you wish) and was ordering people around to do various tasks, I presumed he was management in that Golf Galaxy store.

I haven't had any issues with mine. I would be surprised if Callaway, or any OEM for that matter, didn't put a new club through a lot of testing before it was released.

It wouldn't shock me if they wanted to change a few things about production but i'm no insider. One thing they did tell us was that the number of steps it took to make it was very, very high. Like almost double the previous highest driver they made. So it's a fairly complicated driver to make, which i assume also makes it a more expensive one to make. It would only be natural to try and find a way to do it in less steps without sacrificing anything. Even if it's only a few bucks per driver that adds up

Quality issues didn't seem too bad. There were some issues with the weights sheering off, some cracks around borders, and some carbon fiber loosening. That sounds bad, but almost every driver has some issues when so many of them are sold

FWIW , I have the first lefty Epic SZ released to the public and i have had zero issues.

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

I’ve had no issues with my Epic SZ, which I got pretty soon after release. It’s been a fantastic driver for me, and I have no urge to try to replace it. I’d like to thank you guys who went on the trip for all the information you provided in the aftermath of it, because it was really helpful for me in zeroing in on this driver as being a good fit for me. It’s the best one I’ve ever bagged.

Ping G430 LST 9* (set to 7.5*), 45", Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6x
Ping G430 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
TaylorMade M2 Tour 18*, Fujikura Rombax P95x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x or Tour Issue or Titleist TSi2 21* (set to 20*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x
Cobra King RF Forged MB - 4-PW, KBS C-Taper 120 Stiff
Corey Paul 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

Happy New Years to all of you. Hope everyone has had a good holidays and is ready for what 2018 brings our way.

I played the final round of 2017 today in 45* overcast damp breezy weather. I won’t get much sympathy from most of you but that’s chilly here. It was not a good round of golf by any means but I played with my dad and we had a great time.

Cheers everyone. Let’s make 2018 the best yet.

It wouldn't shock me if they wanted to change a few things about production but i'm no insider. One thing they did tell us was that the number of steps it took to make it was very, very high. Like almost double the previous highest driver they made. So it's a fairly complicated driver to make, which i assume also makes it a more expensive one to make. It would only be natural to try and find a way to do it in less steps without sacrificing anything. Even if it's only a few bucks per driver that adds up

Quality issues didn't seem too bad. There were some issues with the weights sheering off, some cracks around borders, and some carbon fiber loosening. That sounds bad, but almost every driver has some issues when so many of them are sold

FWIW , I have the first lefty Epic SZ released to the public and i have had zero issues.

I think Jeff is pretty much spot on. This driver is very complicated to produce but I don’t think they really have a huge problem with the durability of the drivers. I cracked 2 of them on the sole but I don’t think I am the norm. I think guys like Qmany that swing quite a bit faster than me would possibly crack a few if there were durability issues with this head but as far as I know Matt hasn’t had any issues.

Apex   MB 5-PW $-Taper 

Jones Players Series 003

We all had an incredible experience courtesy of Callaway and GolfWRX and gave some glowing reviews about the trip, our fittings, the people, etc. But I think it is also fair to be critical of Callaway. During the roundtable with Callaway Executives, Chip Brewer told us they were slowing their release cycles (18 or 24 months, I can't remember exactly). Now, exactly one year after the Epic release, we have the Rogue. What's the deal? I'm intrigued to see the actual differences between the Epic and Rogue. Both have Jailbreak. Are there any technological improvements? Is this replacing the XR line, or how exactly does this fit in their lineup?

Taylormade TP5

We all had an incredible experience courtesy of Callaway and GolfWRX and gave some glowing reviews about the trip, our fittings, the people, etc. But I think it is also fair to be critical of Callaway. During the roundtable with Callaway Executives, Chip Brewer told us they were slowing their release cycles (18 or 24 months, I can't remember exactly). Now, exactly one year after the Epic release, we have the Rogue. What's the deal? I'm intrigued to see the actual differences between the Epic and Rogue. Both have Jailbreak. Are there any technological improvements? Is this replacing the XR line, or how exactly does this fit in their lineup?

Ive wondered the very same thing. They have dropped so many releases this year. Its hard to remember how many products they have in the Irons line up.

I was wondering about that as well, Matt (I would think the Rogue would already have to be in the initial design stages during our visit).

Perhaps they will send each of us a Rogue driver so we can do a side-by-side with our Epics? :-)

Tough to slow down cycle time when your driver/fw competitor is pushing something out every 12 months. There might not be any difference or there may be more forgiveness somewhere on the face but we won't see that data.

I do recall them saying they were going to slow down release cycles to the 18-24 month time. Maybe that was the thought at the time.

Wedges/irons seem to be on a slower cycle. I wouldn't consider the MD Forged a replacement for the MD3, but more so a compliment to that line. The MD4 is going to replace the MD3 when that hits the shelves. The addition of the MB and x Forged fills a void they had with the muscle back and the one piece forged iron that many of the other companies had.

Twitter: @itsnotgriffin
Site: [url="http://www.thebottomgroove.com/"]www.thebottomgroove.com[/url]

WITB:
Callaway Big Bertha Epic 10.5
Callaway BBA 5 Wood
Callaway XR 7 Wood - Frankenstyle
Apex Hybrid 23deg
Apex Pro 5i-PW
MD3 52, 56 W-Grind
MD3 60 PM Grind
Odyssey O-Works - #1/3T (putter commitment issues)

I can chime in on this subject.

We/They are sticking to 18-24 months cycle but that is family cycles.. So there will be new stuff every year. Xr16 replacement = Rogue, Steelheads will be replace with ??, Epic will be replaced eventually with ??, so on and so on.

Epic irons were a surprised, to please the lower/blades lovers.. Xfroged/APexv MB and the cant stop, won't stop APEX irons as well.. going on 3 season with those babies..(should come to an end this year)

XR16, Xr, Xr pro, and Xr OS line was replaced with Rogue..

Md3 replaced with MD4

Callaway Epic Speed Triple Diamond LS *9.0 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *15 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *18 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway 19' Apex Pros 4-Pw/ UST Recoil 125 Protos F4 
Callaway MD5 50W & 54W & 58X w/ UST Recoil 125
protos F4

Tyson Lamb Customed Long Neck Allendale 
#lookatthebaby #teamcallaway

We/They are sticking to 18-24 months cycle but that is family cycles.. So there will be new stuff every year. Xr16 replacement = Rogue, Steelheads will be replace with ??, Epic will be replaced eventually with ??, so on and so on.

Epic irons were a surprised, to please the lower/blades lovers.. Xfroged/APexv MB and the cant stop, won't stop APEX irons as well.. going on 3 season with those babies..(should come to an end this year)

Md3 replaced with MD4

I appreciate your response! I understand what they are trying to say with that different family release cycles, but the lines are certainly blurred.

Released January 2017

Callaway_GBB_Epic_Sub_Zero.jpg

Releasing January 2018

RogueSubZeroImage.png

Both have Jailbreak technology, adjustable hosel, Boeing aerodynamics on the crown, and practically identical low-spin weight placement. Callaway is saying these 2 drivers are part of are entirely different families? I'm reserving final judgment until the full release with technical specifications, but it is not the best look.

Taylormade TP5

Md3 replaced with MD4

I appreciate your response! I understand what they are trying to say with that different family release cycles, but the lines are certainly blurred.

Released January 2017

Callaway_GBB_Epic_Sub_Zero.jpg

Releasing January 2018

RogueSubZeroImage.png

Both have Jailbreak technology, adjustable hosel, Boeing aerodynamics on the crown, and practically identical low-spin weight placement. Callaway is saying these 2 drivers are part of are entirely different families? I'm reserving final judgment until the full release with technical specifications, but it is not the best look.

Trust me as I golfer I know.

It will be a 2nd generation jailbreak technology (like most of our irons the cup face, etc. they learn something that can be improved on..like most companies)

It is design differently but will it be enough to separate.. we shall see ( im just an honest guy)

At least you are not the guy that has to attempt to fit/beat a guy or gal using an epic :swoon:. It should be another great season but only time will tell will 2018 be just as great as 2017 for Callaway? Some great irons, new wedges, and jailbreak in hybrids/wood this year.. it looks promising!

However, Taylormade actually design another driver this year, so I know one thing... it will be a great year for golfers looking at new equipment.

Callaway Epic Speed Triple Diamond LS *9.0 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *15 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *18 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway 19' Apex Pros 4-Pw/ UST Recoil 125 Protos F4 
Callaway MD5 50W & 54W & 58X w/ UST Recoil 125
protos F4

Tyson Lamb Customed Long Neck Allendale 
#lookatthebaby #teamcallaway

Ive wondered the very same thing. They have dropped so many releases this year. Its hard to remember how many products they have in the Irons line up.

I haven't hit the Rogue stuff yet, but have had it in hand. In the driver, the biggest change that I saw is the standard Rogue looks much different at address than the Rogue SZ whereas the Epic and Epic SZ looked quite similar behind the ball. The Rogue SZ looks much like the Epics, but standard Rogue looks much like XR16 ie bigger, more forgiving looking footprint. That being said, the similarities between the Rogue SZ and Epic SZ are puzzling.

Have to agree that the Callaway product line is suffering from over-crowding and it can be overwhelming to a customer trying to make an informed buying decision.

OEM Certified Master Fitter

"Never forget that the luxury of being
wrong is not enough to make you right."
WITB Link

I have no issue really with what they're doing.... I never had issue with what Taylormade was doing either. More product is great. People often complain about product cycles of golf clubs, but its the nature of technology it grows at exponential rates. One tech can quickly feed the next advancement. All of the products are good and I do believe there is an advancement from one to another.

it just seemed to me that we were told what they though people wanted to hear.

There are currently 6 Drivers available not including Rogue, and 10 sets of irons not including the Rogues. Thats a lot of product.