Can we all finally agree that the MP4's are the best irons of the past ten years?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will go down as one of the top Mizuno offerings of all time,

As one of the best irons Mizuno has made in the past decade, probably. Ever, no. MP-33, MP-14, MP-32 and MP-5 all could rank ahead of MP-4.

Callaway Mavrik 9° driver Tensei Pro White 50 S Flex

Callaway Mavrik 15° fairway wood Tensei Pro Blue 60 S Flex

Callaway Mavrik 20° and 23° hybrids MMT 90 S Flex

Mizuno JPX 921 Forged 4-PW & GW Modus3 Tour 120 S flex

Mizuno T20 Raw Wedges 50-07, 55-13 and 60-06 Modus3 125 Wedge

Odyssey Stroke Lab Ten 

Callaway Chrome Soft Triple Track

negative ghostrider

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Apex '19 3H HZRDUS Handcrafted HYB 85g
PXG 0211 4-G Modus 105  ...or...  Miura Baby Blades 3-P Steelfiber 110cw
Mizuno MPT11 54/60 TTDG wedge flex
PING Anser 2 Jim Wells 36"

Outlaw Golf Association #21

Looking forward to seeing how they improve on the MP4

Driver = Taylormade SIM 8* Hzrdus green 6.0

1 iron = Titleist U501 Hzrdus smoke 6.0
3 iron = Titleist U500 Hzrdus smoke 6.0
Irons = Wilson Staff tour blade,  4-PW
Wedges = Titleist 52* SM6

Taylormade 56* and 60* MG2

Putter = Scotty Del Mar

Wilson Staff 8882

Ball = Experimenting at moment

[color=#4B0082]T[/color][color=#800080]our[/color][color=#4B0082] E[/color][color=#800080]xotics [/color][color=#FF0000]E [/color][color=#000000]10 [/color][color=#800080]15*[/color]
[font="Comic Sans MS"][color="#ff0000"]Sri[/color][/font][color=#000000]xon 785's w/G P stnd. cord [/color]
[color=#0000CD]Mizuno T 7 52 T 20 56 &60[/color]
Bobby Grace SNYPER  46"
[color=#006400]Oregon Ducks Bag[/color]
Eureka Ca. 

The MP4'S are a great classic looking iron, but the MP5'S are

Spectacular to look at, both irons

deliver fantastic feel and control.

Exactly what you would expect from blades. You will notice, that every OEM offers a blade design.

Every golfer owes it to themself to try the modern mb's. Nothing compares or comes close.

Play Golf.....Play Blades......Play Something Else.....Just Go Play.....

4 HC

No. Irons are only as good here as their "tour validation", which is code for only as good as their parent company's marketing budget. Ergo, sell that crap and buy ap2s because they have superior tour validation which is what is most important.......and also maybe you didn't get the memo, but only tiger and jack and Rory can blades and anyone else is just fooling themselves.

All that aside, best is a very personal term, but my opinion which I have stated here is that as far as major OEM blades go, I don't think any set brings more to the table in an argument as much as the mp4s. For anyone who said the 14s or 33s are better etc, they are not, just more iconic and fantastic and I personally like my 14s more than plenty and more than mp4s for reasons I have, but they are not better feeling and not better on misses and just not better in general at all. And with that, arguing bestness of irons is really an impossible discussion. Appearance at address could make or break the same irons between 2 different golfers, let alone more subjective tangible things like feel and turf interaction and on and on..... and all irons are so personal even a technically "not better" iron would be better in the hands of someone who has an affinity for them than a technically "better" set and thus better to them. Irons are like shoes, get the right model, in right materials, in right size for your feet and boom, you have a favorite pair of shoes you love......however despite all that, only by sheer chance would someone else also agree with that assessment for them.

I like mp4s a lot, best major OEM blade at the store in my mind. I like my current irons more than anything I have ever used, and I really truly love(d) my 14s and dci 962s. So my answer non sarcastic answer is still a big fat no.....hahaha.

No. Irons are only as good here as their "tour validation", which is code for only as good as their parent company's marketing budget. Ergo, sell that crap and buy ap2s because they have superior tour validation which is what is most important.......and also maybe you didn't get the memo, but only tiger and jack and Rory can blades and anyone else is just fooling themselves.

All that aside, best is a very personal term, but my opinion which I have stated here is that as far as major OEM blades go, I don't think any set brings more to the table in an argument as much as the mp4s. For anyone who said the 14s or 33s are better etc, they are not, just more iconic and fantastic and I personally like my 14s more than plenty and more than mp4s for reasons I have, but they are not better feeling and not better on misses and just not better in general at all. And with that, arguing bestness of irons is really an impossible discussion. Appearance at address could make or break the same irons between 2 different golfers, let alone more subjective tangible things like feel and turf interaction and on and on..... and all irons are so personal even a technically "not better" iron would be better in the hands of someone who has an affinity for them than a technically "better" set and thus better to them. Irons are like shoes, get the right model, in right materials, in right size for your feet and boom, you have a favorite pair of shoes you love......however despite all that, only by sheer chance would someone else also agree with that assessment for them.

I like mp4s a lot, best major OEM blade at the store in my mind. I like my current irons more than anything I have ever used, and I really truly love(d) my 14s and dci 962s. So my answer non sarcastic answer is still a big fat no.....hahaha.

You sound like one of those political commentators when asked a direct question, but I will allow it becuase you have admitted the superiority of the 4's.

You sound like one of those political commentators when asked a direct question, but I will allow it becuase you have admitted the superiority of the 4's.

lol ... don't ask him what time it is.

[color=#4B0082]T[/color][color=#800080]our[/color][color=#4B0082] E[/color][color=#800080]xotics [/color][color=#FF0000]E [/color][color=#000000]10 [/color][color=#800080]15*[/color]
[font="Comic Sans MS"][color="#ff0000"]Sri[/color][/font][color=#000000]xon 785's w/G P stnd. cord [/color]
[color=#0000CD]Mizuno T 7 52 T 20 56 &60[/color]
Bobby Grace SNYPER  46"
[color=#006400]Oregon Ducks Bag[/color]
Eureka Ca. 

YES, that is exactly what 'Bigmean' is saying. The Mizuno MP4's are superior BELOW Miura. As a Small "Baby" Blade player myself, EVERYTHING ranks below Miura. So, that would put the MP4's right up there with the Clevland VAS irons.

vas_792_large.jpg

LOL, sorry, I couldn't help myself.

It's funny in the evolution of WRX forum where threads of "lists" such as this lose their purported direction. :wacko:

The OP ? is to rate back in MB/Blades from 2006 and onwards to current. Past 10 years......

Seems several mentions of older lines above. Oh well, I have nothing else good to offer the thread on the MP-4s, as I have never played them, but have seen them often in stores and thru this site and others. They do seem quite awesome in that generation. Maybe like Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady are to the current QB generation.

But, I sure love my Callaway Razr MBs! I'll bet if they are in the same category as MP-4, you could get many votes for the Cally set as well. Nice Endo forging.

BAG ONE:                                                                                                                     BAG TWO:
-Titleist 917 D2                                                                                          -Cobra F9 Tour Length 
3- TEE XCG-V                                                                                               3 -Mizuno MP ti
-Titleist 915 H1 18, Titleist 816  H1 21                                                      -TM 2.0 SF 18 & 21
I - Titleist T100/MR KK TiNi 105                                                                   I - TM P760/Recoils 110 F4
W- Mizuno 52, Vokey SM6 58                                                                     - Mizuno 53, Cally 58
P- Bellum Winmore Midi  787                                                                       -Guerin TS Black 370

Interesting to see the love for the MP-32s here because that was Mizuno one set that didn't work for me. Anyway, weren't they discontinued more than 10 years ago?

I would stick the 68s up there on the list, but I prefer the MP4s over them. The MP-4s are my favourite, but I haven't hit every iron--not a single Miura blade, for example--and there are several irons that I've tested in a net but would like to try properly (i.e. buy and use on the course), including the King Cobra Ltd blades and the Amp Cell blades.

Having played the 29s 14s 33s 37s 69s and tried all the rest. Yes I can say they are the best Mizuno iron

Just an awesome club

Mizuno ST190G atmos 6s
Mizuno MP18 2fh / PX 6.0
Mizuno MP18 3-Pw/ PX 6.0
Mizuno S18 5310+5812/PX 6.0
Ping TR Anser 1966/ 34”

Ball - pro v1x
Grips - Crossline cord

Lofts 18 , 21.5, 25, 29, 33, 37, 41, 45, 49, 53, 58