Skytrak

Z4Par

What are you guys using for hitting mats? Below is what I have (was $150-170 mat a couple years ago). I purchased it off EBay with the Optishot cut out (I received the Optishot as a gift). Any idea if this will be decent of enough quality to hit off of at first?

26a4e98e82817617617b4e2d874f3d0f.jpg

b814e4f00d86094514032a358023eab4.jpg

I can't tell how firm your mat is, but I would recommend hitting off a mat that is soft on your joints and can hold a tee. I have a firm mat to stand on with a cut-out for a P3ProSwing unit I no longer use, but I got a strip of Country Club Elite mat material (not a full mat) and trimmed it to size to fit in the cut-out in my old mat. This set-up is working well for me.

SDL I took your advice and got a strip of Country Club Elite (only took 2 days to get here ordering off of EBay). Cut out a little more of my old Optishot mat and got the CCE 12"x24" strip in snug in my old mat. The CCE strip is so much more plush and more like grass than the hard mat I was hitting off of before! Photo below, thanks for the great recommendation! I even took the old piece of cut out mat and use it to keep the launch monitor level with the rest of the mat.

998f4ad4484362054410e30853b5fb95.jpg

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What are you guys using for hitting mats? Below is what I have (was $150-170 mat a couple years ago). I purchased it off EBay with the Optishot cut out (I received the Optishot as a gift). Any idea if this will be decent of enough quality to hit off of at first?

26a4e98e82817617617b4e2d874f3d0f.jpg

b814e4f00d86094514032a358023eab4.jpg

I can't tell how firm your mat is, but I would recommend hitting off a mat that is soft on your joints and can hold a tee. I have a firm mat to stand on with a cut-out for a P3ProSwing unit I no longer use, but I got a strip of Country Club Elite mat material (not a full mat) and trimmed it to size to fit in the cut-out in my old mat. This set-up is working well for me.

SDL I took your advice and got a strip of Country Club Elite (only took 2 days to get here ordering off of EBay). Cut out a little more of my old Optishot mat and got the CCE 12"x24" strip in snug in my old mat. The CCE strip is so much more plush and more like grass than the hard mat I was hitting off of before! Photo below, thanks for the great recommendation! I even took the old piece of cut out mat and use it to keep the launch monitor level with the rest of the mat.

998f4ad4484362054410e30853b5fb95.jpg

Glad the CCE insert is working out for you. I've found the CCE turf to be much easier on my joints than the firmer mats and much more like real grass. This turf also improve ball-striking accuracy. Some people have complained that the CCE can lead to too many fat shots, but that's how it is on real grass. Grass doesn't let you bounce into the ball the way a hard mat does.

Enjoy your SkyTrak and the CCE turf!!!

Here is my setup from today. Connected Skytrak to my IPad Mini 2. Guys, Skytrak is the real deal! I would say with my driver it is shorting me 5 yards but other than that this thing is so accurate! Going to get Apple TV next as I have a 55 inch tv on the wall next to me that I can stream the Skytrak to. Still want to demo this out a couple more times but I'm 99.9% positive it's a keeper. Only thing holding me back from committing is the cost at this point.

c94a414af4c44c926c64ea241ea7d068.jpg

I have had my ST for over a year now. I had the WGT subscription but I used it once the whole year. Needless to say I didn't renew it. I may look into the JN option.

I have a 5x5 country club elite mat and the net return net all setup in my garage. Can't say enough good things about the mat and the net too.

I have taken the ST with to an outdoor range and confirm the ball flight looks very good compared to the real thing. I also go to Golftec a lot where they have GC2's. I have hit enough balls there to know that I get very similar results between the two. I have never compared them side by side though.

Overall, I am very satisfied with my whole setup. Would have loved to get the GC2 but it is 3-4 times the cost.

Titleist TSr2 9* Fujikura Speeder NX 50 Stiff, Taylormade 300 13.5 Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6 Stiff, Taylormade Stealth Plus 5W Project X Evenflow Red 6.0, Callaway Apex DCB 4-GW Steelfiber i110cw Stiff, Taylormade Hi-Toe 3 54* & 60*, Cobra King Grandsport 35", Maxfli Tour

I have been researching about ST in a different forum since I am planning on setting up a simulator down the basement of our future house. The only issue I have with the unit is I am not confident with my buddies, who would share this with me once they found out I have one, and their ability not to SHANK a ball to the unit. I have read a thread on that same forum that I mentioned that some of the people who used their ST unit, mostly beginners, have accidentally shanked a golf ball, damaging, even killing the unit.

Warranty would not cover that. It's like flushing 2000 plus dollars down the drain if that happens. :cry:

I have been researching about ST in a different forum since I am planning on setting up a simulator down the basement of our future house. The only issue I have with the unit is I am not confident with my buddies, who would share this with me once they found out I have one, and their ability not to SHANK a ball to the unit. I have read a thread on that same forum that I mentioned that some of the people who used their ST unit, mostly beginners, have accidentally shanked a golf ball, damaging, even killing the unit.

Warranty would not cover that. It's like flushing 2000 plus dollars down the drain if that happens. :cry:

I was scared of the same thing. However I played with a guy yesterday who is probably a 20 handicap. There was never once a worry of hitting the unit (he did sky one shot directly up into the ceiling attic wooden door but no damage done :) ). The unit is slightly in front and to the right of where you are hitting but I think of it as teeing a ball right next to a marker on the tee box. I myself have never seen anybody shank it into one of these markers on a tee box. But then again anything IS possible ;) I wouldn't let the fear of shanking one into the unit hold you back in experiencing something as sweet as Skytrak. Get the protector case. Granted they are not super thick but if a ball ever did hit the unit at least it would have some protection and receive more of a glancing than direct hit.

I was scared of the same thing. However I played with a guy yesterday who is probably a 20 handicap. There was never once a worry of hitting the unit (he did sky one shot directly up into the ceiling attic wooden door but no damage done :) ). The unit is slightly in front and to the right of where you are hitting but I think of it as teeing a ball right next to a marker on the tee box. I myself have never seen anybody shank it into one of these markers on a tee box. But then again anything IS possible ;) I wouldn't let the fear of shanking one into the unit hold you back in experiencing something as sweet as Skytrak. Get the protector case. Granted they are not super thick but if a ball ever did hit the unit at least it would have some protection and receive more of a glancing than direct hit.

ST is on top of my list because of the price. Actually it is the only logical and practical option right now to go with when our house gets finished. Even if my wife gave me the go signal to get a GC2, I cannot still justify the cost of the unit.

One of my buddies even said he could try to make a custom casing made of metal since he works at a machine shop. I know someone already did it in the other forum that I frequent. They say the stock casing is made of cheap plastic but I guess it is better than nothing. We'll see what happens.

I even told my wife that, what if I don't tell my buddies I have a ST when I get it? Because I fear one of them might hit a wild one? Tell them that I have scrapped my simulator plans lol She said I'd go to hell if I did. Besides, I can imagine how fun the weekends will be, playing with friends. We have a very long winter here so that will make time go faster.

The good thing also about ST is they keep on updating it and it keeps on getting better as they add new cool features.

ST is on top of my list because of the price. Actually it is the only logical and practical option right now to go with when our house gets finished. Even if my wife gave me the go signal to get a GC2, I cannot still justify the cost of the unit.

One of my buddies even said he could try to make a custom casing made of metal since he works at a machine shop. I know someone already did it in the other forum that I frequent. They say the stock casing is made of cheap plastic but I guess it is better than nothing. We'll see what happens.

I even told my wife that, what if I don't tell my buddies I have a ST when I get it? Because I fear one of them might hit a wild one? Tell them that I have scrapped my simulator plans lol She said I'd go to hell if I did. Besides, I can imagine how fun the weekends will be, playing with friends. We have a very long winter here so that will make time go faster.

The good thing also about ST is they keep on updating it and it keeps on getting better as they add new cool features.

Right on. I can't believe that something at this price range has been made at an "affordable" price to the public. It's pretty dang cool. It is much better playing with at least one other person. Guy I played with yesterday couldn't get over how accurately it was picking up all his bad shots :) . It's an amazing tool.

I would like to buy one while the $1695.00 holiday price is still in effect. I just have a lap top to run it on. My lap top meets the criteria for operation, windows 7, intel core 2 duo @ 2.0 GHz or higher, 2GB ram or higher. I have been trying to contact skytrak the last two days thru their chat on their website and their support phone number but both say they are having system problems and will not respond. I don't know if it is because of the holidays or what. I havn't found any info on how to make it work with a lap top from their website or other reviews I have been reading. Has anyone here been using the skytrak on a lap top or pc and/or had any experience with it in this application? I would like to know if it will work well with a lap top before I buy one.

Thanks, Dan

@flap1: Skytrak isn't really demanding on the hardware, so if it meets the criteria set you should be good. IMHO the software seems primarily designed for the iPad and subsequently ported to the PC, but it works OK. Just install the Win software, register device and go. Documentation is very minimal.

EDIT: AFAIK all the calculations are done locally & network is only required for registration and cloud/360 services.

I know it works with a PC. I have used one connected to a PC before. I personally use my iPhone. I have a 24" LCD mounted in my garage with an Apple TV. I just mirror my iPhone screen on to it. 24" TV and Apple TV cost a lot less then a dedicated computer or iPad.

Titleist TSr2 9* Fujikura Speeder NX 50 Stiff, Taylormade 300 13.5 Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6 Stiff, Taylormade Stealth Plus 5W Project X Evenflow Red 6.0, Callaway Apex DCB 4-GW Steelfiber i110cw Stiff, Taylormade Hi-Toe 3 54* & 60*, Cobra King Grandsport 35", Maxfli Tour

I would like to buy one while the $1695.00 holiday price is still in effect. I just have a lap top to run it on. My lap top meets the criteria for operation, windows 7, intel core 2 duo @ 2.0 GHz or higher, 2GB ram or higher. I have been trying to contact skytrak the last two days thru their chat on their website and their support phone number but both say they are having system problems and will not respond. I don't know if it is because of the holidays or what. I havn't found any info on how to make it work with a lap top from their website or other reviews I have been reading. Has anyone here been using the skytrak on a lap top or pc and/or had any experience with it in this application? I would like to know if it will work well with a lap top before I buy one.

Thanks, Dan

Your computer will be more than fine. Buy it, make sure your Skytrak is level. Nice thing about buying the protective case is it comes with a nice little level and you can adjust the legs to the height of your hitting surface and to make it level with some protection. You will be very pleased with Skytrak. I wanted to return it after my first range session and then gave it another whirl to make sure I wasn't just having a bad ball striking session (my first session was a bad session, wasn't hitting it stellar. Was a couple months since I last played). The second go around I knocked some more rust off and figured out it was properly registering shots the entire time. Skytrak is super accurate. This was my main concern when purchasing and I'm sold now. I wasn't thrilled with putting down $1,825 but it is well worth it for now and all the years to come. Going to get the $99 package next so I at least have some greens to hit into. I also ordered an Apple Lightning to HDMI adapter so I can connect the iPad to my 55" TV. The garage will be even more of a man cave soon enough!

Just got an Apple to HDMI adapter so I can play on the 55" TV in the garage. Excited for this!

07e96e3fd4edba900cdcd2047fdfba74.jpg

Nice! set up, I'd be stuck in my garage if I have something like that!

I tried to simulate hitting in front of a Skytrak in our local golf sim here. So far I did not get bothered by an object so close to my hitting area. An after an hour of playing, I did not hit it. I exaggerated the distance of the ball, I know it's around 1 foot with the actual unit right?

Just got an Apple to HDMI adapter so I can play on the 55" TV in the garage. Excited for this!

07e96e3fd4edba900cdcd2047fdfba74.jpg

Nice! set up, I'd be stuck in my garage if I have something like that!

I tried to simulate hitting in front of a Skytrak in our local golf sim here. So far I did not get bothered by an object so close to my hitting area. An after an hour of playing, I did not hit it. I exaggerated the distance of the ball, I know it's around 1 foot with the actual unit right?

Pretty similar in distance. Hard to tell by the angle

Oh this is one less than a foot. My shoe size is 12 inches and I made sure to put the ball less than that, just to exaggerate. So far so good. I'll bring my buddies here next time and do the ketchup test with them haha!

How's the new set up with the 55 inch tv? Looks way better than watching your shot on a small ipad screen. :D

Oh this is one less than a foot. My shoe size is 12 inches and I made sure to put the ball less than that, just to exaggerate. So far so good. I'll bring my buddies here next time and do the ketchup test with them haha!

How's the new set up with the 55 inch tv? Looks way better than watching your shot on a small ipad screen. :D

Still haven't gotten to play on the TV yet but a guy can just tell how much nicer its gonna be! The only thing bad about the iPad was if you didn't have a stand for it you had to bend over and get closer to the iPad to look at all your shots. Not a deal breaker for me though!

Got the skytrak on Fri. I have to hit balls in the garage, only place I have a high enough ceiling. I live in Wi. and its cold now. Got a heater in the garage so its about 60*. The skytrak was working great, I got sweaty hitting balls so turned the hearer off. When the garage cooled down to 50* the skytrak started to take 2 or 3 times longer to show shots. Then it started to only register about half the shots. I turned the heater back on, when the garage warmed back up things worked fine again. I made sure the skytrak was level and at the same height as my hitting surface, and aligned correctly. It seemed to be a temperature thing. Anybody ever experience anything like that with their skytrak? I am going to use it again today and see if it happens again. Are these things finicy in that kind of way?

Got the skytrak on Fri. I have to hit balls in the garage, only place I have a high enough ceiling. I live in Wi. and its cold now. Got a heater in the garage so its about 60*. The skytrak was working great, I got sweaty hitting balls so turned the hearer off. When the garage cooled down to 50* the skytrak started to take 2 or 3 times longer to show shots. Then it started to only register about half the shots. I turned the heater back on, when the garage warmed back up things worked fine again. I made sure the skytrak was level and at the same height as my hitting surface, and aligned correctly. It seemed to be a temperature thing. Anybody ever experience anything like that with their skytrak? I am going to use it again today and see if it happens again. Are these things finicy in that kind of way?

Please report back. My ST is on the way and i have the same garage issue. Need to know if i need to get a heater too. Thanks

I would think I wouldn't want to have a Skytrak sitting in under 50 degree conditions. Not an expert on this but I keep my garage temp at 60 just to avoid any possible issues and keeping the Skytrak out of the cold. I would recommend calling Skytrak and getting a recommendation on if colder temps affect the unit. If temp is not an issue I would recommend an exchange. How good is your internet connection? This could also be a reason for a long delay of shots. No, I myself have not experienced a technical issue with my Skytrak yet. Best of luck to you!

Please report back. My ST is on the way and i have the same garage issue. Need to know if i need to get a heater too. Thanks

Like I said to the other gentleman I would think I wouldn't want to have a Skytrak sitting in under 50 degree conditions. Not an expert on this but I keep my garage temp at 60 just to avoid any possible issues and keeping the Skytrak out of the cold. I would recommend calling Skytrak and getting a recommendation on if colder temps affect the unit. I myself have not experienced a technical issue with my Skytrak yet. Best of luck to you!

That would be a deal breaker as that's when I would use it the most.

Simple solution for when I used my IPad. Tall chair and set the iPad against the back rest. Set the chair behind and to the other side of the ball from where you are swinging (5' or so). You can glance at the iPad without having to get close and see your shots just fine. Problem solved! Only reason I use my TV with Skytrak is because the TV is mounted in the garage for watching sports previously. If the TV was not in the garage using the IPad would most definitely not be a deal breaker.

Like I said to the other gentleman I would think I wouldn't want to have a Skytrak sitting in under 50 degree conditions. Not an expert on this but I keep my garage temp at 60 just to avoid any possible issues and keeping the Skytrak out of the cold. I would recommend calling Skytrak and getting a recommendation on if colder temps affect the unit. I myself have not experienced a technical issue with my Skytrak yet. Best of luck to you!

i wouldn't need to leave it in the garage when i'm not using it, and i wouldn't be using it for more than an hour or two at a time. generally i'd think the only thing that would be affected by the cold would be the battery, but the anecdotal information is to the contrary. so i'd still like to know if he saw the same issue or if anyone sees a similar issue.

seems like a big waste of energy and money to keep the garage at a constant 60 just for your portable skytrak