2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Skytrak

Z4Par

I never did take Skytrak outdoors and never intended to use it outside ever. Sole purpose of Skytrak was for me to use it indoors when snow was on the ground. It's possible that Skytrak could be accurate within 10 or so yards outside. I've concluded that even though it didn't feel like it my swing had to be a hair different indoors. But something still tells me that Skytrak itself was off 10-20 yards on top of the loss of distance due to a ''different'' swing indoors. It also depends so much on Player A vs Player B's swings. If you put a ton of spin on the ball due to a different swing (which I have/do) launch monitors in general are going to give you no credit. The closest I've came to getting accurate with a launch monitor is Trackman and the rep said that I could expect a 10% loss in distance vs. being outdoors. It was roughly a 20% loss of distance that Trackman was calculating but that's as close as I've got to ''good'' numbers.

The skytrak doesn't know if it's outdoors or indoors. The point of taking it outdoors is to verify that the skytrak....or any launch monitor for that matter is displaying accurate yardage and flight depiction. If it's accurate outdoors with actual ball flight...a photometric launch monitor would be just as accurate indoors, where your intended use is. If you're getting lower distance indoors....it's not the monitor's fault. You could have gotten the same numbers indoors at your home with a much more $$ GC2 instead of the skytrak. I'm not debating your justification for returning it. Just pointing out to potential buyers...that your skytrak could have been very accurate and your reduced distance indoors was due to other variables. There's nothing like hitting on real grass. Some mats are notorious for robbing distance...if hit even a fraction fat.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some mats are notorious for robbing distance...if hit even a fraction fat.

This should be a good thing right?

Should help your ballstriking.

Some mats are notorious for robbing distance...if hit even a fraction fat.

This should be a good thing right?

Should help your ballstriking.

Yes it should. I only mention it because it could be more punishing than out on the course...giving lower distances on the launch monitor than you would typically see.

And then you get the complaints that the launch monitor isn't accurate.

My skytrak numbers are spot on so far. I am very happy. Using the CCE, I can tell before the shot displays if it was ball first or slightly fat, and I am also learning what the feels are if my shot is a draw, straight or fade, and then getting conformation by seeing the displayed ball flight.

My skytrak numbers are spot on so far. I am very happy. Using the CCE, I can tell before the shot displays if it was ball first or slightly fat, and I am also learning what the feels are if my shot is a draw, straight or fade, and then getting conformation by seeing the displayed ball flight.

ditto. same mat. i'm basically calling the shot and distance now based on feel and am right a decent amount of time. while i may not be making huge strides in the actual ball striking, i'm much better able to feel what a good pure shot is and what it isn't.

I never did take Skytrak outdoors and never intended to use it outside ever. Sole purpose of Skytrak was for me to use it indoors when snow was on the ground. It's possible that Skytrak could be accurate within 10 or so yards outside. I've concluded that even though it didn't feel like it my swing had to be a hair different indoors. But something still tells me that Skytrak itself was off 10-20 yards on top of the loss of distance due to a ''different'' swing indoors. It also depends so much on Player A vs Player B's swings. If you put a ton of spin on the ball due to a different swing (which I have/do) launch monitors in general are going to give you no credit. The closest I've came to getting accurate with a launch monitor is Trackman and the rep said that I could expect a 10% loss in distance vs. being outdoors. It was roughly a 20% loss of distance that Trackman was calculating but that's as close as I've got to ''good'' numbers.

The skytrak doesn't know if it's outdoors or indoors. The point of taking it outdoors is to verify that the skytrak....or any launch monitor for that matter is displaying accurate yardage and flight depiction. If it's accurate outdoors with actual ball flight...a photometric launch monitor would be just as accurate indoors, where your intended use is. If you're getting lower distance indoors....it's not the monitor's fault. You could have gotten the same numbers indoors at your home with a much more $$ GC2 instead of the skytrak. I'm not debating your justification for returning it. Just pointing out to potential buyers...that your skytrak could have been very accurate and your reduced distance indoors was due to other variables. There's nothing like hitting on real grass. Some mats are notorious for robbing distance...if hit even a fraction fat.

I get exactly what your saying. Did you see I said I've related it to my swing indoors for the most part? I think I mention that in every post why I returned Skytrak. However, I don't get how I can go outside on a 30 degree day, bang any club down the range in my bag and it goes significantly 20 to 40 yards at times farther than Skytrak measures. I don't have the best swing but I'm no slouch. I consider myself a fair ball striker and I don't see how swinging indoors could affect distances this drastically. I don't expect you to understand since your experience is probably much different. My experience and that's all I can speak for. I know some golfers where it's not uncommon that launch monitors are only getting them 80% of their distance. My concern is to not take Skytraks numbers too dang seriously. At the end of the day it's an estimation like any launch monitor. Got to hit those golf shots on the course and swinging indoors on Skytrak has not depicted these shots the same for me. Hence the return.

ditto. same mat. i'm basically calling the shot and distance now based on feel and am right a decent amount of time. while i may not be making huge strides in the actual ball striking, i'm much better able to feel what a good pure shot is and what it isn't.

I heard so many good things about the CCE mat being able to take a real tee, but I find that even with 2.5in tee you cannot push it down very far so the ball winds up teed up too high. I always have to cut the tee off about 1/2 in to be usable, and then the tee fly off much easier. I wonder if there is a mat than can hold a tee better and have the same feel as the CCE mat.

If any one is curious as to why I returned Skytrak and or my experience please read all my posts before commenting or asking questions. Many Thanks!

My guess is SkyTrak isnt accounting for the distance boost you get playing in a higher elevation. Maybe...?

Otherwise, the little bit ive used it, it seems like it gives me the same numbers Trackman and FlightScope give me.

I don't expect you to understand since your experience is probably much different. My experience and that's all I can speak for. I know some golfers where it's not uncommon that launch monitors are only getting them 80% of their distance. My concern is to not take Skytraks numbers too dang seriously. At the end of the day it's an estimation like any launch monitor. Got to hit those golf shots on the course and swinging indoors on Skytrak has not depicted these shots the same for me. Hence the return.

My initial experience was actually pretty similar. The day my skytrak arrived, I went straight to the range with a laser rangerfinder in hand. Carry distance was VERY accurate. The next day I was hitting on the skytrak at home and was getting shorter distances than I typically see. Worried that something was wrong with my unit I packed up the skytrak and headed back to the range. AGAIN it was spot on. Ultimately I figured out I was hitting a little fat. I have the Ultimate monster Mat, which is very similar to the CCE, and once I ironed out my swing..I was hitting typical distances. If I haven't taken it to the range, I would probably be in the camp that returned it becuase it didn't depict the distance I see on the course.

I'm not really into simulation golf, as there is nothing like hitting balls out on the course. But I love being able to just walk into the garage, hit for 20-30 min and get accurate feedback....Especially during the winter months.

If any one is curious as to why I returned Skytrak and or my experience please read all my posts before commenting or asking questions. Many Thanks!

My guess is SkyTrak isnt accounting for the distance boost you get playing in a higher elevation. Maybe...?

Otherwise, the little bit ive used it, it seems like it gives me the same numbers Trackman and FlightScope give me.

Elevation on Basic Skytrak range is sea level I believe. Even accounting for the 1,500' above that I play at would only be 3 yards gain in distance roughly? Can't blame it on that.

Glad it's working out for you. If you have a good swing indoors I have no doubt that Skytrak is a great way to get golf in during the winter.

I don't expect you to understand since your experience is probably much different. My experience and that's all I can speak for. I know some golfers where it's not uncommon that launch monitors are only getting them 80% of their distance. My concern is to not take Skytraks numbers too dang seriously. At the end of the day it's an estimation like any launch monitor. Got to hit those golf shots on the course and swinging indoors on Skytrak has not depicted these shots the same for me. Hence the return.

My initial experience was actually pretty similar. The day my skytrak arrived, I went straight to the range with a laser rangerfinder in hand. Carry distance was VERY accurate. The next day I was hitting on the skytrak at home and was getting shorter distances than I typically see. Worried that something was wrong with my unit I packed up the skytrak and headed back to the range. AGAIN it was spot on. Ultimately I figured out I was hitting a little fat. I have the Ultimate monster Mat, which is very similar to the CCE, and once I ironed out my swing..I was hitting typical distances. If I haven't taken it to the range, I would probably be in the camp that returned it becuase it didn't depict the distance I see on the course.

Good to hear you were in the same boat. There is other reasons I returned Skytrak as well. Sole purpose was for indoor use. Realistically I would have to setup in the garage each time (not a huge pain) but would only get to use Skytrak maybe twice a month in the winter. There is 2 days out of each month in the winter where I can get outside and hit a few balls. Even if it's really cold I'd rather be swinging outdoors hitting known golf shots. Also didn't want to groove a fake turf swing. Never been a huge fan of hitting off anything but real grass. Guys argue that all the time and say that fake turf only helps ball striking but I beg to differ. It's mainly a feel thing for me. Another part of why I struggle with Skytrak inside.

• 4 weeks later...

I just thought I'd update our discussion regarding this device. I was really close, I mean really close to returning this and getting a flightscope xi+. I talked myself back from it for the simple fact that the skytrak is going to be and will be easier to setup and use in my garage which is where I 100% intend to use it. So I stuck to my original decision and I plractice on.

I legitimately took 2 weeks off from hitting golf balls because smashing balls as much as I was, combined with my hockey and gym time, caused an injury. Yes, I strained my groin! Lol. Talk about awkward. I could barely skate.

I started back again this week with a regular routine which will consists of 2-3 sessions a week for an hour and a bit. I watch the golf channel a lot and tonight I applied some techniques from both Martin and Michael.

I still conclude that the Skytrak is eaisly 5 yards short on carry distance with 58,54,50 and PW. It's super accurate from 9 - 3 iron for me and respectfully accurate with my hybrids and 3 wood collection (23,19, 15F, 15Fd, 13.5Fd). It's a hair short in my conclusion vs trackman but not as short (due to what I feel is low ball speed and perhaps just flight math vs trackman) as driver.

So onto my fun testing! More distance is always fun, right? I employed the turn your back to the target technique with my woods and driver. I also tested Michaels suggestion to really driver the trail elbow to see what sort of gains where to be had there. This elbow explosion was much harder for me control. When I made solid contact, all the balls went left (fade as I'm a lefty) but definitely some huge gains to be had. My 5 iron is my 195-200 carry club with the odd ball going 190 and some going 204 for example. With the elbow drive I was able to see 223 carry a few times, but huge cuts to the left. My timing is way off with this but it's cool to see that it actually works, provided I make solid contact. I wasn't able to make solid contact very often and I also wasn't able to hit my predictable draw. This is probably something I won't be practicing much.

With my 3 wood I really played around with the full back turn. I just focused on flashing my back to my hitting net while keeping my head still on the downswing. This technique was remarkable and I was 100% able to control it and hit my draw. Normally my 13.5 3 wood carries 250-258 according to Skytrak (note: I've never used this 13.5 on the course or with Trackman). Using the full back-turn method I was consistently seeing 260-270 carry. With the settings set to firm on Skytrak the longest of the night resistered at 294. Ball speed was 160 and spin was 2800. All tested done off the turf mat. I was impressed.

I tried this a few times with driver as well. I was able to finally crack the Skytrak into the 170+ mph ball speed using my 44" driver shaft. The longest of the night was 312 carry 2330 spin 340 total. My previous max drive ever on Skytrak was 318 so I definitely conclude this works. Again I could control the shape and the draw was there. I never once saw a drive under 300 using this method. As mentioned earlier, my personal best on Skytrak before today was 318. I had multiple 320 and 330+. Win! Conditions set to firm here also.

So, being the over analytical guy that I am, I'm assuming my low 170 balls speeds where actually more like mid 170 balls speeds. If this assumption is true, then I'm getting really close to my driver data I normally get when using trackman outdoors. I still feel that my body governs longer-club swings indoors on a mental level. Only one way to test this. My end goal is to see 180 mph balls speeds on the Skytrak before summer!! I'm going to do it. (Even if it means using a 44.5 or 45" shaft...which I haven't yet)

Side note. My distance dispersion has tightened up considerably this week due to chocking up. I was noticing my ball marks slowly creeping up on the face on all irons which means I was hitting slightly behind the ball aka a little fat.

TSi3 9° - Tensei Pro Orange 70TX  

TSi2 13.5° - Tensei Pro White 80TX 

TSi2 18° - Tensei Pro White 80TX

718 TMB 3 - Tensei Pro White 100TX

T100 4-GW - MMT 125TX

SM8 54° & 58° - MMT 125TX

Odyssey Big-T Blade                                                  

ProV1X                                                                  

• 2 months later...

Another Skytrak user chiming in. I have a garage set up that allows me to hit balls anytime i want. Ive owned my skytrak since november and have to say im extremely impressed with it. Mine is perfectly accurate and I recommend it to anyone who has the space for it.

I have to admit, at first i was discouraged because I thought it was reading shorter than it should have been. That ended up being caused by several reasons. Swinging indoors, hitting off of a mat, and me thinking i hit the ball slightly farther than I actually do.

Once i got used to the mat and hitting indoors my distances crept up to where they should be. I also think that a lot of us remember that one or two 7 irons that we absolutely flushed, had some wind behind us, and we got a little extra roll out and all the sudden we think we always hit our 7 iron 170-175.

Anyways Id say my Skytrak is as accurate as anything else. Im completely confident in it and the numbers it spits out. I split my time equally between JNPG and the skytrak range. I love both and cant believe how lucky we are to have something this great and accurate at such an affordable price point.

• 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Guys,

How are you positioning iron shots (off the mat) versus teed shots since the laser needs to hit in the same spot? Surely you can't be moving the SkyTrak each time you change from mat to tee?

My mat can hold a tee and I usually tee it up an inch or two behind the dot. Most iron shots are on the dot.

If your mat can't hold a regular tee, you should look into one of those self standing tees. Birdie Tee?