Tigers Irons?

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The reality is that Tiger is looking for specific flight characteristics from each of his irons. He developed his preference using Mizuno irons and this carries through today with Nike. Yes, Tiger's clubs are designed and made by Nike but to Tiger's preference.

I do not think anyone here is meaning to post a RAH RAH comment for a particular manufacturer. My comment was made to reflect Tiger is discriminate with the irons he plays and goes through many irons until he gets the right combination of head/shaft/grip that produces the shot flight he wants. Yes, Tiger is that good!

We are not talking about men walking on the Moon here, Tigers clubs are 100% made by Nike.

How can anyone say that nike are not capable of building these clubs. They have the skill and the men to do the job.

Nike make a great club,

Nike does not make a damn thing. They may engineer, brand and market different products, but Nike has no manufacturing capability. The question remains who forges the retail Nike blades and who makes Tigers Nike blades. I seriously doubt that Nike will be forthcoming with this information and that is the only way to know for sure. Do you think you can buy the same spec Diamana shaft that he has in his woods? No, but it looks the same and most everyone wants to be like Tiger. I don’t care who makes his clubs, but I do know whose name it on them hence the $20 million annual endorsement. I just sit back and enjoy the show he puts on with those surgical instruments (most of the time).

Tiger's irons are most definately Nike irons, handmade by Nike for Tiger. Please see video below of Tiger's irons being made below. Tiger's heads are being worked on towards end of videohttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-JN3G9zEHY

Nike does not make a damn thing. They may engineer, brand and market different products, but Nike has no manufacturing capability. The question remains who forges the retail Nike blades and who makes Tigers Nike blades. I seriously doubt that Nike will be forthcoming with this information and that is the only way to know for sure. Do you think you can buy the same spec Diamana shaft that he has in his woods? No, but it looks the same and most everyone wants to be like Tiger. I don’t care who makes his clubs, but I do know whose name it on them hence the $20 million annual endorsement. I just sit back and enjoy the show he puts on with those surgical instruments (most of the time).

See the video above starting at the 6:00 mark. Nike grinds and assembles the raw heads to Tiger's spec, and they are very meticulous about it. The raw forging is simply a piece of heated metal pounded into shape in dies. Who knows, Nike may design (or even make?) the die plates themselves.

The point being that all the work that goes into making Tiger's irons right for Tiger are handled by Nike in house. A raw forging is just a starting point.

ok if every tour player had standered lie and length and lost there clubs, they would be able to go to any shop and pick up the same set of the shelf thats every one but woods. his irons a which are mizz are not the same nike blades that everyone bought cuz they think he plays them

Man...Unless you work for a golf company or work in the business it makes no sense how you could refute what the article says about Irons and who makes them. 1st of all...Nike has the largest R & D (stand-alone) facility in the US. They make every single club for Tiger and all of their Tour Athletes in FT Worth. Tom Stites; Mike Taylor; Cole Slaughter; Rick Whalein and the gang are amazing clun builders. That would be like saying you want to play the Irons Phil plays or the Driver Sergio Plays...You will not be able to get the specs of their products.

Tiger's irons are most definately Nike irons, handmade by Nike for Tiger. Please see video below of Tiger's irons being made below. Tiger's heads are being worked on towards end of videohttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-JN3G9zEHY

See the video above starting at the 6:00 mark. Nike grinds and assembles the raw heads to Tiger's spec, and they are very meticulous about it. The raw forging is simply a piece of heated metal pounded into shape in dies. Who knows, Nike may design (or even make?) the die plates themselves.

The point being that all the work that goes into making Tiger's irons right for Tiger are handled by Nike in house. A raw forging is just a starting point.

Nice video. Unfortunately they labelled Mike Taylor (Nike grind man) as David Franklin.

Good series though...

ok if every tour player had standered lie and length and lost there clubs, they would be able to go to any shop and pick up the same set of the shelf thats every one but woods. his irons a which are mizz are not the same nike blades that everyone bought cuz they think he plays them

Man...Unless you work for a golf company or work in the business it makes no sense how you could refute what the article says about Irons and who makes them. 1st of all...Nike has the largest R & D (stand-alone) facility in the US. They make every single club for Tiger and all of their Tour Athletes in FT Worth. Tom Stites; Mike Taylor; Cole Slaughter; Rick Whalein and the gang are amazing clun builders. That would be like saying you want to play the Irons Phil plays or the Driver Sergio Plays...You will not be able to get the specs of their products.

"his irons a which are mizz" What are you trying to say?????????????? That has to be the best disguised point I think I've ever read on this site. I'm assuming english is a secondary language here.

Tom Stites builds (or grinds? I haven't seen any actual forging done by Nike, yet) Tiger's irons and is employed by Nike. Tom does all their design and R&D, too. I believe the "store" Nike blades come from China or Asia, like everything else. I think Ping might be the only company left that still build/cast their own irons in the USA! Tom used to do work for the Ben Hogan company (now, Callaway) before Nike grabbed him.

I think a better question is: Who builds Nike's golfballs? Please do not say Nike! Is it all Bridgestone? Look where all their ball models are made: USA, Japan, China, Taiwan.......

• 3 weeks later...

Stir the pot some? Check it out.

http://www.golfbuzz.com/n/ts6

Tiger + Miura + MP-14 style grind = Titleist T-500's

For those who don't know, Tour players get special treatment on course and in the tour vans; this includes specially made golf clubs that are entirely different than what people are made to believe they play. About 5 years ago Japan had a very limited release of Tiger's Titleist blades that were identical in material and design to what he actually had in his bag. They were sold at just over five thousand dollars 2-PW in a cherry wood box with a signed photo of tiger himself and letter of authenticity .Many of you are now thinking well yea so did us it was called the 681 T stamp but you are mistaken. Tigers actual Irons were forged by Miura, for those of you who don't know what miura is; Miura factory is located at mountain skirt between Kyoto Pref and Himeji. About 80 Kilometers from Himeji-city. In that village there are about 15 club makers Miura is one of them. They specialize in high quality Japanese forgings. Tiger's irons are what many think to be MP-14 grind that is similar to what he has played all of his life starting in the amateur days. Even his Nike blades of today are very different than what you may find off the rack, but of course he is Tiger Woods... Just thought we would share this with you ladies and gentleman just in case you didn't know. Only 500 sets made and all sold before they were released.

To view many images of these rare clubs please visit our gallery.

• 4 months later...

[quote name='dlygrisse' post='625786' date='Jul 6 2007, 01:21 AM'][quote name='minitour' post='625584' date='Jul 5 2007, 10:05 PM'][quote name='victor2000' post='625538' date='Jul 5 2007, 10:27 PM'][quote name='minitour' post='625462' date='Jul 5 2007, 08:30 PM']Here we go again....let the Mizuno/PING loyalists rejoice in the only aparent "original" thought on golf clubs in the history of golf.

-mini[/quote]

What is this sentence attempting to say? I am not getting it.
[/quote]
Some people have their head so far up their favorite OEM's arse that they can't figure out that there really aren't many more original thoughts left out there. Civilization has been around, what? 10,000 years? I'm not smart enough to have a thought that hasn't already been thought up in the past 10,000 years.

Those people are under the impression that any company other than Mizzy is just copying Mizzy's forged blade "design" and that Scotty Cameron just copies Ping over and over again.

This type of thread comes up 3-4 times a year it seems...it just gets very old.

-mini
[/quote]

Tigers Nike irons are actually copies of Titleist irons which are copies of of Mizuno irons. Mizuno irons are actually copies of Wilson staff irons, which are copies of Hogan irons. Hogan irons are actually copies of MacGregor VIP irons, which are copies of Spaulding irons that Bobby Jones designed in the 1930's. These irons are actually copies of clubs designed in Scotland by D Anderson and sons who copied clubs designed by old Tom Morris at St. Andrews. Old Tom stole his design from a shepherd he saw playing in an old stretch of links land off the Firth of Forth, who stole the idea from a guy hitting a rock with his staff. The guy who designed the shepperds staff was named Chip Green, or Willie Buyit, know one really knows for sure. :busted2:

I agree with the previous quote, how many times do people have to ask about this rumor? Tom Stites with Nike is one of the most qualified clubmakers in the world, (he used to make clubs for Hogan when Ben himself still ran the company) why would he have someone else make clubs for Tiger? It makes no sense. also you have to remember Tigers clubs are not the ones you can buy off the rack, the are custom made by hand one at a time to his specs, custom leading edges, sole grinds, shape etc. etc. They are similar to the Nike blades you see at Golf Discount, but not the same.
The only way any of us will ever play the exact clubs tiger uses is if he gives us his hand me downs when he has worn them out. So unless you are good buddies with Eldrick, and on his Christmas card list just go to a qualified clubmaker and buy a set that fit you and made for your game.
[/quote]

This is one of the best posts ever. I'm going to vote that whenever somebody fires up the "Tiger is playing Mizuno" bit, this automatically appears, and then the thread gets closed.

P.S. You don't want Nike designing their own stuff anyway, have you seen those new putters?

the stupidest thing I have ever heard was the idea that one club company would take another club companies irons and put their own stamp on it. I am no lawyer, but wouldn't their be major legal ramifications for this type of action? And besides, club companies are not stupid enough to think that the public won't see what some one is playing. if nike did take a set of mizunos and stamp them with a nike sign, we would have pictures and there would be a huge commotion in the golf industry.

bottom line: if nike can afford to pay tiger 20 mil a year, they can get clubs made for him without stamping another companies irons. And if tiger wanted irons that were like mizunos, nike would make them. but they certainly wouldn't ask mizuno for a set of unmarked irons to stamp with their own logo. there is no proof of this, and there never will be. IT IS ALL A RUMOR!

I can't believe I have to explain this.

Avian 455 TL, 8.5º, OBAN Kiyoshi Tour Limited 60X
Avian 355 FW, 14.5º, OBAN Kiyoshi Tour Limited 60X
Avian 355 FW, 19º, OBAN Kiyoshi Tour Limited 70X
Titleist T200 4 iron, 24º, project X 6.5
Avian 335 blades, 5-9 irons, OBAN CT-125X

Titleist Vokey SM9 48.10F, TT X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 RAW 52.12F, 56.10F, 60.04T, TT S400

Weston Putters - Highland, KBS GPS 120

Launch Monitor - FlightScope Mevo+

Instagram

[quote name='Navyplayer' post='660900' date='Jul 31 2007, 01:33 PM']Stir the pot some? Check it out.

[url="http://www.golfbuzz.com/n/ts6"]http://www.golfbuzz.com/n/ts6[/url]

Tiger + Miura + MP-14 style grind = Titleist T-500's
For those who don't know, Tour players get special treatment on course and in the tour vans; this includes specially made golf clubs that are entirely different than what people are made to believe they play. About 5 years ago Japan had a very limited release of Tiger's Titleist blades that were identical in material and design to what he actually had in his bag. They were sold at just over five thousand dollars 2-PW in a cherry wood box with a signed photo of tiger himself and letter of authenticity .Many of you are now thinking well yea so did us it was called the 681 T stamp but you are mistaken. Tigers actual Irons were forged by Miura, for those of you who don't know what miura is; Miura factory is located at mountain skirt between Kyoto Pref and Himeji. About 80 Kilometers from Himeji-city. In that village there are about 15 club makers Miura is one of them. They specialize in high quality Japanese forgings. Tiger's irons are what many think to be MP-14 grind that is similar to what he has played all of his life starting in the amateur days. Even his Nike blades of today are very different than what you may find off the rack, but of course he is Tiger Woods... Just thought we would share this with you ladies and gentleman just in case you didn't know. Only 500 sets made and all sold before they were released.

To view many images of these rare clubs please visit our gallery.[/quote]

actually that is not totall accurate with the dates, etc.

the 1 of 50 sets made with the cherry wood boxes along with all of Tiger's victories were released in the US table rock had atleast 3+ of these for sale.

the miura forged 1/500 red T stamps released for the Japan market only came out way back in 1997

JBeam J3 Tour 10.5* - Syncagraphite Loop Prototype IP X
Miura Giken TC-101 Miura Craftsman World #3

Artisan MB #4-PW
(Nippon Modus 125 X Flex in 3-PW)
Artisan 50*, 55*, 60*

(Nippon Modus 125 X in 50*)
(Nippon Modus Wedge 125 in 55* & 60*)
Artisan 0117 Stainless; Smooth Face w/Site Dot (Grip; Elite Geron Type #N2 Black)
Tour G 50 Rubber Round Grips On Driver;Irons;Wedges

Miura has publically stated that they didn't forge Irons for Tiger while he was with Titleist.

Before sending me a message for help, please look at the website support section:
Have a Ad/BST question, first look and post here:
BST AD Help
If you have a general help question, post here:
GolfWRX Website Help Desk

To answer the question for this thread..."are Tiger's irons really Nike?" The answer is a resounding YES! Why yes??? The clubs have a Nike swoosh stamped into them, along with "T.W." by the company's club building dept. in Fort Worth, Texas. Last I checked, that means the clubs are most definitely Nike irons.
In itself, a iron is not an iron based on miniscule measurements of squared toe's or internal weighting....what makes an iron a particular company's is if they put their "seal of approval" on the club, which for Nike is a swoosh. Last I checked Tiger's clubs have the swoosh, so they are most definitely Nike irons.
With respect to the naysayers....I realize fakes are produced all day long over in China with a swoosh. Does this mean the clubs are really Nike clubs? The answer is NO! What makes a Nike iron a Nike, or any manufacturer's iron their particular iron is that they will stand behind the product and validate its authenticity. That's what makes Tiger's irons Nike irons! Period!

[size=2][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][b][color=#000000]Titleist TS3 10.5[/color][color=#a9a9a9] Fujikura Speeder Tour Spec 9.2 x-flex[/color]---[color=#000000]Titleist TS3 13.5[/color] [color=#a9a9a9]Aldila NV 95 x-flex[/color]--[color=#000000]-Titleist TS3 18.0[/color] [color=#a9a9a9]Fujikura Fit-On Pro 95 x-flex[/color]---[color=#000000]Titleist 718 AP2 #3[/color] [color=#a9a9a9]Project X 7.0[/color][/b]
[b][color=#000000]Titleist 718 AP2 #5-#9[/color] [color=#a9a9a9]Project X 7.0[/color]--[color=#000000]-Vokey SM7 46.10 F Grind[/color][color=#a9a9a9] Project X 7.0[/color]---[color=#000000]Vokey SM7 52.12 F Grind[/color] [color=#a9a9a9]Project X 7.0[/color]---[color=#000000]Vokey SM7 56.10 S Grind[/color] [color=#a9a9a9]Project X 7.0[/color]---[color=#000000]Vokey SM7 60.04 L Grind[/color] [color=#a9a9a9]Project X 7.0[/color][/b]
[b][color=#000000]Scotty Cameron Select Newport II[/color]---[color=#000000]Scotty Cameron Select Squareback 1.5[/color]---[color=#000000]Scotty Cameron Tour Newport 2.5 350g.[/color] [color=#000000]welded neck[/color]---[color=#000000]Scotty Cameron Tour Rat Concept 2.0[/color]---[color=#000000]Titleist ProV1x[/color][/b][/font][/size]

Who cares who makes Tigers irons.......the Tour is all show and not serious about maintaining the integrity of the game, only its popularity. If one off 100,000 dollar sets of irons is what it takes for thier top stars to perform and bring in the TV and Ticket sales dollars, they will allow it, we have no real chance of ever knowing the manufacturing details for certain.

If the Tour were concerned about the integrity of the game they would step up and say to the tour boys "play with what you can buy at the retail store, adjust all you want the lie angle and loft, only change the weight using lead tape and feel free to switch out shafts with retail golf shafts of your choice. Play the same retail ball that we all play instead of a ball made specifically for you". Then we would all know for certain and this rediculous topic will never come up again.

We all know this will never happen, because the top players would never allow it. It would have a great impact on the game and add to the mystique of a players talent, especially if we knew that they were playing with the same equipment we can go buy.

In any case, the question is really not worth investigating because NO ONE will ever tell the truth to the very last detail.

Next Topic.

[quote name='handukyun' post='839276' date='Dec 28 2007, 12:06 AM']Does anybody have a clue to why Tiger is using CCI? Just happened to notice in the Nike website.[/quote]

marketing photo. they've had a couple of marketing photos on the nike website with him holding a club that wasn't what he uses. couple years ago there was a pic of him and a nike pro combo 6 iron - i'm pretty sure there is a thread about it.

[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike covert tour 2.0 w/ diamana blueboard 83[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike sq 2 tour 15* w/ ust v2 95 tour[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]adams idea pro tour 18* w/ fujikura 904hb[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]adams idea pro tour 22* w/ fujikura 904hb[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike pro combo tour 4-pw[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]titliest vokey sm5 52*[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]titliest vokey sm5 58*[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]scotty cameron newport beach[/size][/font][/color]

That's pretty sh***y of Nike to throw out pics of guys using equipment they don't really use. Now, before everyone jumps down my throat, I am aware it is all business. Similar to guys who put different headcovers on their clubs at tourneys, people are paid to market equipment for manufacturers and if a manu is paying you a good chunk of change and they want you to pose with whatever, you would most liekly do it. My only issue here is this is Tiger. I have always thought Tiger tells Nike what he will and won't do. Maybe he worked out some sort of new deal tied into sales of Nike's other clubs, game-improvemnt and so on, so he has some financial incentive to get people to buy Nike products he does not use. If I were Nike, I would take better advantage of the truth. I would put TW out there flat out telling people he does not use *product x* but he's experimented with it, and he thinks its a great product for the average amatuer golfer.
Seriously, how many guys here really want some guy at their club with CCI's trying to tell them Tiger uses them, he saw it on the website? My guess is not many, except probably the few who want to go into their own personal conspiracy theory on WHO REALLY makes TW's clubs.
My true hope is that when Tiger is all done and finished, he puts out his story. All the stuff with rumors and junk being addressed, Harmon, Haney, Fluff, Mickelson, his clubs, his dad... I don't think he would ever try to publically humiliate anyone (except if you are entered into the same tourney as him, then he can't help if it being 20-somethign shots back is humiliating publically) but I would love to hear TW's account of all things Tiger with the standard class he seems to handle everything.

And BTW, this guy told me that Tiger's clubs are forged by Steven Kendwock of Bangor, ME. I find this to be a reliable source, as this guy has like, mmmm, 20 Nike TW shirts and every pair of Tour TW shoes ever. This guy KNOWS the real Tiger!

Kendwock, you heard it here first....

Scottcheek.... you need a reality check. It has been argued about and confirmed many times that the sets that they get on tour are retail heads that have tight tolerances so that each player gets exactly what they desire fitting wise. They don't have special shafts, they don't have heads that help them. They play golf. They could take my clubs and play the same golf putting them through a mitchell loft and lie machine and using lead tape to get the right swing weight. I'm sick of all these people thinking that the pros play with magic wands, they are no different, just many of them are prototypes to what we will be able to purchase 6 months later.