Who Is The Greatest Geezer You Ever Saw Play?

Have an old guy here in town (he's 86 now). Up until about two years ago he was in the 70's for probably 80% of his rounds, from the regular men's tees.

He was one of the top amateurs in the state for a long time. Shooting his age was almost an every day occurrence. Unfortunately he had a small stroke, as well as a couple of other medical issues in the last couple of years. He tires out quickly now and usually won't play more than nine holes.

And just a great guy, we're going to miss him out there when he can't play at all.

I just came across this old thread, and my post in it.

Unfortunately Dick passed away last summer. While his body was letting him down his mind was still sharp. At the bigger tournaments in the area you would still see him around. He would take a cart and go sit somewhere in the shade and watch shots into the greens. And greet many of the players as they came through. And most of them went out of their way to go over and say hello.

Miss him out there. RIP old friend.

I played with a few multiple tour winners in college at Riviera but there was a member in his early 60's that could beat them all and was better off the tee than any of us. I know he didn't play tournaments at that stage of his life and I never asked him if he had earlier.

Another guy with whom I've played golf for over 25 years has bettered his age a few hundred times at 6500.

Jim Kaat shot his age at 70, 74, then 75 left handed then playing right handed again at 75 against his lefty with a looper double packing for him had his career best 75 beating his lefty by a strokes that day. Just him and his caddie and just over 6000. This is so much fun and what I was doing 10 years ago when I was a member of a club in NorCal and played a lot of golf. I played the course righty at 6700 and lefty at 6500. I had several under par rounds right handed but 1 round I was lights out lefty and after making a short birdie putt on the 15th I hit perfect tee shots lefty on 16 and 18(17 also a par 3) but my last 3 lefty iron shots where 20-25 feet off line resulting in 2 3 putt bogey 5s and a 73 tying my lefty best and beating my righty that day by 5. I was in my late 40's and since then due to injury my lefty has suffered and righty not that much. I would love to get the chance to do a Jim Kaat some day.

It would be interesting to know if other switch golfers have done what Jim Kaat has done. Mac O'Grady comes to mind and I know of several others including T.P. Mills maybe?

Back around 2000 I played in a charity golf game for the heart foundation on the Sorrento Aust. links course.The group in front comprised three women and an old bloke around seventy walking, carrying a small battered round shoulder bag with I reckon around six clubs in it .I could be wrong ( faded memory)but I think they were persimmon woods. It was Peter Thomson dec. (5 times ‘ The Open’ winner) I was more interested in watching the way he controlled the ball than my own game .Looked so easy!

Back around 2000 I played in a charity golf game for the heart foundation on the Sorrento Aust. links course.The group in front comprised three women and an old bloke around seventy walking, carrying a small battered round shoulder bag with I reckon around six clubs in it .I could be wrong ( faded memory)but I think they were persimmon woods. It was Peter Thomson dec. (5 times ' The Open' winner) I was more interested in watching the way he controlled the ball than my own game .Looked so easy!

Possibly the most under-rated 'great' golfer of all time.

A guy at my current club turned 70 recently, could pass for 60 years old or late 50s almost, average build to the smaller side, very good amateur career and still competes in Senior Am events. I think he beat his age with me one-time last year (68) from the tips where we play from (about 7,000+), His game is consistently low 70s. Still hits it out there pretty far, probably not quite what he could several years ago, but I would say drives 250-60+, 7 iron about 155.....very solid short game......

There is another guy at another club here in town who is 75 and a past state Sr. Am champion, he used to work where I do but he is retired now. I looked up his GHIN scores, over his last 20 from the white tees (66.3/123) he has averaged 72.5 with a low of 68 and a high of 75.......

But the best Geezer I have seen in person? No question, Sam Snead. About 1980 he was vacationing near my hometown and came and played my home course at the time, Belvedere GC in Charlevoix Michigan. They knew Sam was coming and they moved all the tees all the way back. Word got out he was there and a bunch of people came and watched him play. Sam played 36 holes and shot 67-68 and had never seen the course before.....That would have been about his age at the time. His ball striking was unreal.....

WITB
Srixon ZX5 LS 9.0, HZRDUS Black 60 6.0
Ping G425 LST 3 wood, Tensei Orange

Titleist TSR2 5 wood C1 setting, Tensei 1K Black 75

Srixon  ZX 5 MKii 4-7 irons  ZX7 MKii  8-PW PX LZ 6.0 black

RTX Zipcore  Tour Rack 50, 54, 60

Spider Tour CB 38 inches

Srixon-Z Star XV

Sam Snead played around this area often, since we are the closest large town near Hot Springs. He would occasionly play in games with locals at our club. Lots of legends about him around here. This is way before my time at this club but people claim when he was in town he was open to a challenge if the money was right. I cant imagine Tiger or Phil doing this today.

• 1 month later...

In the early to mid 90's I took up golf in northwestern Ontario.

The club I joined was a 9 holer, a decent track. Quite a few US players would come there during the summer for a week or so to enjoy the area - great fishing.

There was one older fellow in particular that I presumed to be late 70's or 80 ish. He came there 2 or 3 years running and then I never saw him again.

He was a several time US senior Ryder Cup player, or so I was told, and I think he was from the New York area, or east coast for sure.

This guy shot the easiest low 70's I have still ever witnessed, with a bad day being 80. Bert Andreola was his name.

Callaway Epic Speed M10 Smoke
Taylor Made SIM 3W Titanium Diamana Limited
Taylor Made SIM 5W Titanium Diamana Limited
Taylor Made GAPR HI KBS 4,5,
HONMA TW747P 6-11 Vizard 85g
Cleveland 56* Smoke RTX Zipcore DG Spinner
Lajosi 808 Damascus, Callaway S2H2 Tuttle
Seed 01, Maxfli Tour

Looks like I missed this thread the first time around. My uncle fits this to a T. When we were younger (30s) we called him "the buzzard" because every time we played with him he ended up feasting on our dead carcasses by the end of the round. Didn't hit drives much more than 220 when he was in his 60s. Never missed a fairway, rarely missed a green. If he did miss a green he was automatic when it came up making up-and-downs. To further rub salt in the wound, he usually closed us out by the 16th hole and he was usually even par or a couple over. He would then "lose his game" and double every hole left on the back nine to keep his handicap at a mid-single digit.

Old stuff:
1962 Tommy Armour AT2W Driver   1953 Macgregor M65W EOM 3 wood   1978 H&B PowerBilt Citation 4 wood
1984 Ben Hogan Apex PC 2-E   1968 Wilson Dual Wedge
1964 Acushnet O-SET M6S Bullseye Putter

New stuff
Cobra ZL 10.5 driver (Matrix HD6 s-flex)  Titleist TSR2 18* fairway wood (Matrix Code-8 s-flex)   Adams A2P 20* hybrid (Rombax 8D07HB s-flex)
Titleist 716 MB irons 4-PW (Apex 4 soft-stepped)    Callaway Mack Daddy wedges 52, 56, 60 (DG S200)
Odyssey ProType 9 putter

• 9 months later...

Perhaps not the greatest but I was taught a very valuable lesson by "Old Sime". As a junior I was drawn against Old Sime in club matchplay comp. Sime would have been well into his '70's and I was convinced I had been given a bye. I was out driving Sime by at least 100 yards - no contest! Sime took 3 to reach every Par 4 and couldn't reach most Par 3' s. However, if you paced it, I bet Sime was never more than a yard from plumb centre of the fairway, never missed a green from inside 100 yards and single putted every hole! Took me down a peg or two I can tell you!

In terms of Professionals, Big Brian Barnes who sadly passed last year, was the first Pro I saw live. It would have been mid '70s and I would have been about 10. I simply couldn't comprehend his ball striking - I had never seen or heard anything like it! Made a huge impression on me. I am still hoping that one day I will hit one shot of that quality but doubt I will.

• 2 weeks later...

Similar story to Foozle. I was in my "prime" years ago and played with an elderly gent at Nob North Golf Course near Dalton, GA. He was somewhat ahead of the curve as his set comprised 1,3,4,5,6,7,8,9. 11 woods, a forged wedge and putter. While I was pounding drives sometimes in the fairway, he consistently hit 160 yds straight down the middle of the fairway, one putted most holes, hit all the par 3's in regulation. He finished the front nine 1 over par. I think I declared my game a practice round sometime after hole #4.

Hogan Edge 1-SW, Apex 3
Hogan Edge GS 3-PW Apex 3
Hogan Apex ll, 3-9, Apex 4
Hogan Speed Slot 1,2,4
Hogan Rail Putter

• 3 months later...

Wouldn't necessarily call him a geezer, but when I was about 25 and played to a +2, I went out to a course that I hadn't played that was about 100 miles from where I lived. There was a man in the pro shop that was in his 60's and asked if I wanted to play him heads up for $50 a side. I asked him what tees he would want to play. He said wherever you wanna play from. The tips were about 7200 at this course (but it was firm so played a bit shorter, but still a fairly long track). I was a really long hitter and said I would play him for 50 a side from the tips. This guy was about 240-250 off the tee, but straight as a string. And he hit his fairway woods more pure than anyone I've played with. He routinely had 5 or 7 wood into a lot of the long par 4's and hit them to 10-15 feet almost every time. I outdrove him by 60 yards all day long and shot even par 72. He hit 17 GIR and shot 68 and took $100 off me.

My main man Mr. Anthony, he is the most down to earth person I know, he is 81 years young, I love playing with him because of his jokes, great attitude and he is a beast!!!, last time we played together he shot 78, not long but super straight and putt out of this world, he has been an influence in my game (especially for having a great attitude don't matter the score), plus he always gives me putting tips, I am in Afghanistan right now, I miss my buddy, can't wait to go back home and play at least one more round with him...

• Like 1

DRIVER: Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5*, Ventus TR Blue 6TX at 45"
3 WOOD: Callaway Paradym HL 16.5*, Diamana Flower Band White, D+ 82X Flex, tipped 1" at 42"
7 WOOD: Callaway Paradym 21*, Tensei AV white 75g S Flex, tipped 1" at 41"

IRONS: Callaway Apex MB 7-10, CB 4-6 -- DG TI S400

WEDGES: Callaway JAWS Raw 50, 54, 58 -- DG TI S400
PUTTER: SC Phantom 5, Stability Shaft, 33.25", Garsen Quad Tour grip (Toulon Chicago as back up)
BALL: Callaway CT X (current gamer), Srixon Diamond, -ProV1X and ProV1

I have always thought shooting your age is a great target / achievement. I am mid '50's so clearly no chance - might even struggle over 9! But if I am spared I would love to think I could shoot in the '70's when I am in my 70's. To shoot 78 at 81 is brilliant.

Sounds like a really great guy. I hope you get a game with him again soon.

Understood and completely agree, I am 48 (49 in Dec), Mr. A plays the boring golf game, fairway, green, two putts (on average)...he is amazing, it is a blast to play with him, I honestly don't pay attention to my score, we are always yapping the entire round about military experiences among other things, I tend to play my best with him, he is 81 but looks a lot younger (retired Marine)...just keep enjoying the game, score really don't mean much, take care!!!

DRIVER: Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5*, Ventus TR Blue 6TX at 45"
3 WOOD: Callaway Paradym HL 16.5*, Diamana Flower Band White, D+ 82X Flex, tipped 1" at 42"
7 WOOD: Callaway Paradym 21*, Tensei AV white 75g S Flex, tipped 1" at 41"

IRONS: Callaway Apex MB 7-10, CB 4-6 -- DG TI S400

WEDGES: Callaway JAWS Raw 50, 54, 58 -- DG TI S400
PUTTER: SC Phantom 5, Stability Shaft, 33.25", Garsen Quad Tour grip (Toulon Chicago as back up)
BALL: Callaway CT X (current gamer), Srixon Diamond, -ProV1X and ProV1

• 3 months later...

Now, more than 20 years later, I played more than 50 rounds this year with a guy that is 75. Knocks it up to 250 with driver, 9/10 dead straight, other one a slight fade. Oh, and a lefty as well. Most every round he shot his age or better. Amazing!  Oh, and he also has a prosthetic leg - played in the world handicapped golf tournament a few years ago.

Callaway Epic Speed M10 Smoke
Taylor Made SIM 3W Titanium Diamana Limited
Taylor Made SIM 5W Titanium Diamana Limited
Taylor Made GAPR HI KBS 4,5,
HONMA TW747P 6-11 Vizard 85g
Cleveland 56* Smoke RTX Zipcore DG Spinner
Lajosi 808 Damascus, Callaway S2H2 Tuttle
Seed 01, Maxfli Tour

• 2 weeks later...

I graduated from high school in the early 80's. As a member of the high school golf team we could play and practice at the local municipal course. We would practice and play 9 holes after school. I would often return after dinner an play until dark. There were five elderly gentlemen that the starters referred to as "The over the hill gang." I used to play with them as much as I could. They had great stories-one guy wrote the "Frankie the keener weiner" jingle.

I learned a lot about golf from them, such as "don't hit a shot in a round that you haven't practiced," the value of hitting fairways, and taking your medicine when you are out of position.  I think I learned more than just golf-they loved the game and they loved playing with each other. I loved playing with them.

Edited by jaroscakj
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

After I graduated from high school we moved to Elgin AFB. I got a job working at Shalimar Pointe GC. There was a player there named Lou Raganella. I only got to play with him once, but it was just unbelievable. Just did everything good. He was in his late 50’s. He regularly broke his age from his mid 60’s until his late 80’s.

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip