Best Driver for 2017

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For this 64 year old 92 mph swing player for me the driver of the year 2015 was G30 Sf Tec 10 degree with chrome plus reg flex, for 2016 it was the G sf etc 10 degree with diamana r series 50 stiff. Started to over draw them so at the End of the year the mizuno jpx 569 evo II stiff moved into the bag. I bought and played on course, the fusion, m1, m2, cobra ltd and they all didn't work as well for me.

For 2017 the only driver I will buy and test on course will be the Epic/Epic sub zero.

Maybe the new m2 will be great for the average joe, but not for me, can't play the Panda.

Good luck on finding your driver in 2017.

Mizuno ST-Max 10.5 Smoke RDX 50 5.5, AI Smoke 10.5 with HZRDOUS RDX RED 50 5.5

Mizuno ST-MaX 5 stock Kail'l R

Mizuno ST-Max 7 stock Kail'l R

AI Smoke HL 7-AW Nippon Neo 85

AI Smoke 7/8 Hybrid HZRDOUS Siver 65 Gen 4 5.5

Cleveland Full Face 52

Cleveland Full Face 56

Odyssey Jailbird 380

Titelist prov1x/Callaway Chrome Soft

It seems to me this is the first time in a while that someone has taken over the driver hype machine of Taylor Made. The Epic Sub Zero seems to be on everyone's short list to demo, including mine. So by years end I think the Epic Sub Zero will be the best driver of 2017. By best I mean people talking about, people having to demo, Golfwrxer's switching.

But, if Rory takes it out of his bag this season then all bets are off.

Runner up will be the GX7.

Driver: Epic, Fujikura Pro Tour Spec
3Wood: Titlest 917, Fujikura Pro Tour Spec
Hybrid: Cobra Fly Z, Fujikura Pro
Irons: 4 - PW, Mizuno MP-15, DG X-flex soft stepped
Wedges: 50" Hogan, 54 Vokey M grind/ 58 SM6 K Grind - KBS Tour
Putter: Scotty, Newport 2.6
Ball: Taylor Made TP5
"How come when some of the most successful people put on golf shoes their IQ drops 50 points?" -Me

Ive been hearing/reading/seeing a lot of good stuff about this GBB Epic, looks like a front runner for sure.

Still no way last years M1 is coming out of the bag. But for sake of argument...

1. GBB Epic/GBB Epic Sub Zer

2. Mizuno JPX-900 (Lots of tech but great feel/super forgiving) Also a dark horse

3. Cobra F7+

Still many to try, but my early vote is the Epic or Epic Sub Zero - whichever fits best for individual. I'm not a new driver every year player, and was fitted in 2013 into a Titleist 913 D3. The technology improvements over the last 4 years are impressive to say the least. I had the chance to hit the Epic recently, and went from carrying 270 / spinning 2650 in my 913, to carrying 290 / spinning 2400 in the Epic. Same swing, very big change in results. Like I said, still a lot of other new drivers to hit before making a decision, but the Epic felt fantastic off the face, nice muted solid sound, seemed consistent side to side, and with the right shaft and possibly moving into Sub Zero head, it looks like I might be playing Callaway for the next few years...

Just hit the M1, M2, and SZ in the stock stuff settings. 10 shots each. I could put the M2 in the bag right now.

SZ had the highest top ball speed, but I had some big misses to the right. I have a lot of trouble getting comfortable at address with an all black head. Topped out at 278, but the average was around 255 because of the big misses.

Would like to hit the M1 when I had some time to tinker. Moving the weight back and to the right should in theory increase forgiveness and hopefully straighten out my draw a few yards. Topped out at 274, and averaged 266. Ball consistently drew more than my 2016 M1, and some shots would likely have missed the fairway to the left.

M2 was amazing. The contrast of the black and white on the crown fits my eye perfectly. Topped out at 276 averaged 273. Everything was within 5 yards of the center line, launch and spin were basically identical on all 10 swings.

Went back and tried the SZ again, and went right back to spraying it right.

Didn't want to buy a driver this year, but I am now very intrigued to get to a demo day and hit the M series outside.

Nothing like a little boob nudge to get the conversation started

:rofl:

The Cally Sub Zero is phenomenal, but, unless something else is released in the next few months, I think the best driver of 2017 will still be the 2016 TM M2.

[size=2]Taylormade SIM 9° - [b][color=#00ff00]Aldila Rogue White 130[/color][color=#008000][color=#0000ff] 60TX[/color][/b]
Taylormade M6 15° - [b][color="#000080"]GD Tour AD VR[/color][color=#800080][/color] 8TX[/b]
PXG 0311X 17° - [b][color=#0000ff]Te[/color][color=#0000ff]nsei CK Pro Blue[/color][color=#000000] [/color] 100TX[/b]
Ping i210 (4-PW) - [b][color=#0000ff]Oban CT 115[/color] [color=#696969]X[/color][/b]
Ping Glide 3.0 [b] 50°, 54°-[b][color=#0000ff]Oban CT 125[/color] [color=#696969]S[/color][/b][/size]
[size=2]Ping Glide 3.0 [b] 58° - [b][color=#0000ff]Oban CT 125[/color] [color=#696969]S[/color][/b][/size]
[size=2]CT Scotty Cameron [color=#FF0000]Phantom X [/color][b]Proto[/b][/size]

Best looking and sounding driver of 17 will be the 917!

So I drove down to miles of golf in north cincy on a whim 2 days ago. Wanted to hit the epic subzero, like everyone else, and the PXG 0311t irons.

Hit those clubs and my clubs for 4 hours. Hit the epic with hazrurdus 6.5, Fuji 6.2 tour spec x, matrix black tie 75x, alidila 110msi 70x.

I'm a high spin, high launch guy. A hitter. Baseball background. Average 108 mph. Never have owned a driver I could get below 3000 revs. Even the current LTD with the graffalloy blue.

Liked the aldila ball flight the best, although I've never loved the way it felt. Driver is VERY fade biased in my opinion, and I normally hit a fade anyway. The hazardous was fine but feels like crap to me. The matrix a bit soft and a bit high. The 6.2 just didn't fit. I tried all of the above shafts in 3 wood length since I play my driver at 43.5", and added about 16 grams of lead tape low on the heel of the club to get the swingweight back up to D-2. I had it at neutral 9 degrees and draw setting on the hosel. It Still didn't like drawing, but I hit it quite well with my usual 5 yard cut. Biggest thing I took from this session is without the weight on the heel this driver would be nearly unplayable for me.

I was just about Done hitting and the fitter, Mark, great guy, handed me a 8.5 titleist 917 D3 with a Fuji speeder pro tour spec 63X in it. I Dialed the setting up to 10 and draw biased and I freaking just Nutted the thing. It Immediately fit my eye and my swing. It is a little on the loud side, but not horrible. It was weird because I had absolutely no intention of even trying the 917. I wasn't even doing a fitting. I just was hitting next to the fitting room. The fitter had walked by and watched my swing a few times and came out of the fitting room with it. He gets paid to fit for a reason. Good eye and intuition.

So anyway. I unfortunately don't have any numbers to share because I didn't actually do a formal fitting on the launch monitor. I had no appointment. I Just drove down there for the hell of it. The weather warmed up and I got the inch to hit even though it was raining all day. Stalls are covered. The facility there at miles of golf is first rate. I highly recommend making the visit. I drove 1 hour and 40 minutes each way from Columbus and I'll go again.

The only down side of hitting the 917 and loving it was now I'm a bit confused. I had really just wanted to go down there, love the epic and order it. Now I need to go back and test some more with a formal fitting and get some numbers.

I wonder how the 917 d4 might perform??? Hummmm. Curious.

Edit....oh yeah, forgot.....the PXG's are very nice. Essentially a high tech ping S55, but they won't kick my hogan PTx out of the bag. I liked them, but I can't see $350 a club. Plus I don't really want to be "that guy" with the PXGs in the bag.

I'm a huge tinkerer but 2016 was about the M1 and M2 vs 917 for me. The 917 felt and looked great, but I also have a tour issue M1 that it was up against. The M1 was hot melted quite a bit and feels wonderful. I did many testing sessions over a couple months late last year, both with Rogue Silver 125 70s shafts. Over all the testing, the M1 had 1.5 to 2.0 mph more ball speed and about 400-500 rpm less spin with the same launch. This translated into about 5-10 more yards carry for the M1 depending on the day. Dispersion with the M1 was also slightly better, and as someone who has been working on swinging left and hitting a fade, this was harder to do with the 917. The 917 was draw all day. The M1 was straight to slight fade/drift right. The M1 won and I sold the 917.

Fast forward to this week. I picked up a tour issue M2. Honestly, there had been so many good reviews and so many players going to it, I had to give it a fair test. The one I picked up has also been hot melted so it feels awesome as well. We were lucky with high 50s here in Boston for the last couple days so I went to the outdoor range. I have only hit it at the range with typical range balls and it even feels and sounds amazing with those! I haven't felt a better driver than this maybe ever (not counting puring a balata with a persimmon). I kept going back and forth with the M1 with the same shaft. The m2 felt slightly better but forgiveness is much better, even though I was consistently finding the center. Both heads are stamped 9.5 but the actual loft of the m2 is 8.4 and the actual loft of the M1 is 10.1. This is just going by eye but trajectory didn't seem to vary much. I haven't been on the GC2 hmt to compare launch, spin, ball speed and total distance, but that will happen this week. Given given how much more forgiving, the M1 will have to be a lot longer to win out. Maybe the hotmelt on the M2 is just in the perfect place for me, or maybe the M2 pairs better with the rogue 125 for me, but it really is wonderful. Maybe I need a different shaft with the m1, but given all the tinkering I've done with the M1, I've gotten it to about 11.5 launch/2000 spin which is as dialed in as I'm going to get with my pedestrian un-wrx-like low 160s ball speed. Who knows.

TaylorMade 2016 Tour Issue M2x3 (8.5*/9.4*/9.8*): Tensei 1K White 70TX

Titleist TSi3 9* - Atmos TS Patriot 7x

Titleist TSR2+ 13* - Diamana D+ Ltd. 80x 

Titleist 915f 15* @ 14.25* - Atmos Blue TS 8x

Titleist 915f 18* - Fujikura Motore Speeder TS 8.2x

Titleist 816H1 17* - Fujikura Motore Speeder TS 8.8x

Titleist 915hd 20.5* @ 19.5* Fujikura Motore Speeder TS 8.8x

Titleist 2023 T150 4 & 5 iron, T100 6-9 iron - Project x6.5 ss1x 1.5* flat

Vokey SM9 Raw 46.10F, 50.12F - Project x6.0 1.5* flat, 54.12D, 58.08M - DG TI S400

Putter: Scotty Cameron Phantom 9.5 / Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2

Hit the Epic SZ, new M1, and F7+ for 10 swings each. Stock shafts. Liked the Cobra feel best and actually got best numbers from it as well.

Going for full fitting this coming week at Club Champion but I'll say I was pretty pleased with the F7+. Looked great in matte black too.

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1237994-my-carls-golfland-contest-fitting-experience-grab-a-drink/"]My Carl's Golfland / GolfWRX WITB story[/url]

Cobra F9, Atmos Black TS 6X
Titleist TS3 3w, Atmos Black TS 7s

Titleist 510 3i Atmos Black TS 9x
Srixon U85 4, z785 5-PW Modus 120x
Titleist Vokey SM5 50F/54M/58M, DG TIS400
EVNRoll ER5

With that, I think it will be interesting to see what shakes out over time. The new TM, Callaway will fight out iMO for the top driver.

I do currently play a M2 with hzrdus black. But took a lot of shafts to get the M2 to perform, And as was shown when the proper combination was discovered for each player the M2 was the best driver of 2016

If the first PGA event of the year is any indication of how it will go in 2017...It will be another big year for TM...

Driver Count for sony open:

TM - 71

Titleist - 29

Callaway -21

Ping - 10

New Bag in the making...

I'm a huge tinkerer but 2016 was about the M1 and M2 vs 917 for me. The 917 felt and looked great, but I also have a tour issue M1 that it was up against. The M1 was hot melted quite a bit and feels wonderful. I did many testing sessions over a couple months late last year, both with Rogue Silver 125 70s shafts. Over all the testing, the M1 had 1.5 to 2.0 mph more ball speed and about 400-500 rpm less spin with the same launch. This translated into about 5-10 more yards carry for the M1 depending on the day. Dispersion with the M1 was also slightly better, and as someone who has been working on swinging left and hitting a fade, this was harder to do with the 917. The 917 was draw all day. The M1 was straight to slight fade/drift right. The M1 won and I sold the 917.

Fast forward to this week. I picked up a tour issue M2. Honestly, there had been so many good reviews and so many players going to it, I had to give it a fair test. The one I picked up has also been hot melted so it feels awesome as well. We were lucky with high 50s here in Boston for the last couple days so I went to the outdoor range. I have only hit it at the range with typical range balls and it even feels and sounds amazing with those! I haven't felt a better driver than this maybe ever (not counting puring a balata with a persimmon). I kept going back and forth with the M1 with the same shaft. The m2 felt slightly better but forgiveness is much better, even though I was consistently finding the center. Both heads are stamped 9.5 but the actual loft of the m2 is 8.4 and the actual loft of the M1 is 10.1. This is just going by eye but trajectory didn't seem to vary much. I haven't been on the GC2 hmt to compare launch, spin, ball speed and total distance, but that will happen this week. Given given how much more forgiving, the M1 will have to be a lot longer to win out. Maybe the hotmelt on the M2 is just in the perfect place for me, or maybe the M2 pairs better with the rogue 125 for me, but it really is wonderful. Maybe I need a different shaft with the m1, but given all the tinkering I've done with the M1, I've gotten it to about 11.5 launch/2000 spin which is as dialed in as I'm going to get with my pedestrian un-wrx-like low 160s ball speed. Who knows.

10.5 M2 with 125 MSI is still my gamer vs the new stuff...

New Bag in the making...

I don't see anything beating the Epic this year. Callaway will have the top driver sales in 2017 so that's your winner. I love my m2 but after more testing the Epic SZ is just on another level.

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

It'll take a lot to get the G LS Tec out of my satchel.

TaylorMade M4 9.5 Project X HZRDUS Black 75 6.5
TaylorMade M2 2016 HL Project X HZRDUS Black 65 6.5
TaylorMade GAPR Lo 19 Project X HZRDUS Black 85 6.5
Bridgestone J15 DPF 4 Iron DGS300 Pro
Wilson C300 Forged 5-PW X100
Cleveland CBX 54 & 58 S400
Odyssey Works Tank Cruiser #7 38"

10.5 M2 with 125 MSI is still my gamer vs the new stuff...

I have a tensei orange v2 on the way but if that doesn't beat the 125 msi, I can see this being mine for a while.

Vokey SM9 Raw 46.10F, 50.12F - Project x6.0 1.5* flat, 54.12D, 58.08M - DG TI S400

Just hit my Tensei Orange V2 70 Tx tipped 1.25 inch in my Tour issue Xhot 2 LD head..

Great combo and will soon try Epic SZ,great big bertha 2016, M1 430 and the new 440, Cobra ltd pro and Ping G Ls tec.

All with the Tensei Orange V2, thanks to my Allfit shaft adapter :)

Here some number today with Orange V2/ Xhot2 ld head...

9a4de9cf8dbe5dd623baad3144be8ce7.jpg

Just going to go ahead and save this thread for 3 years from now when I can afford to switch to the new Titleist woods by getting them used on the bay and refinished by Continental. Uless something else looks better to the eye, because at this point... is anything really going to go farther/straighter? Prettier? Yes.

Just hit my Tensei Orange V2 70 Tx tipped 1.25 inch in my Tour issue Xhot 2 LD head..

Great combo and will soon try Epic SZ,great big bertha 2016, M1 430 and the new 440, Cobra ltd pro and Ping G Ls tec.

All with the Tensei Orange V2, thanks to my Allfit shaft adapter :)

Here some number today with Orange V2/ Xhot2 ld head...

9a4de9cf8dbe5dd623baad3144be8ce7.jpg

How do those ball speeds compare to your normal speeds?

With that, I think it will be interesting to see what shakes out over time. The new TM, Callaway will fight out iMO for the top driver.

I do currently play a M2 with hzrdus black. But took a lot of shafts to get the M2 to perform, And as was shown when the proper combination was discovered for each player the M2 was the best driver of 2016

If the first PGA event of the year is any indication of how it will go in 2017...It will be another big year for TM...

Driver Count for sony open:

TM - 71

Titleist - 29

Callaway -21

Ping - 10

With TM paying tee up money for woods only deals they will always dominate the driver count, Callaway will not pay players woods only money. With that said the only number that counts is sales so we shall see.

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

It performs better ballspeeds then my 3 degree krank formula 6 with a ld shaft at 48 inch that I use in longdrive comps..

So I would say really good!!

I think I can pick up a few more mph in ballspeed with a epic sub zero/ M1 line or the cobra ltd pro.

No kidding. That's pretty insane. I can't wait to get mine.

What y'all are saying about the M family are all wrong fam. The M family is so fracking good. It's not about getting the regular M family. It's about getting the ones with the + on the hosel. Rocket fellas. Best thing I have every hit. I am so excited for the new M1 next year. BTW, the m2 is the most played driver on tour for y'all Titleist haters.