2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Best Driver for 2017

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

917 has 2 wins in a row. Food for thought,

The Nike Sasquatch had plenty of tiger wins in mid 2000s too

TaylorMade 2016 Tour Issue M2x3 (8.5*/9.4*/9.8*) - Testing: Tensei 1K White 70TX

Titleist TSi3 9* - Atmos TS Patriot 7x

Titleist 915fd 13.5* @12.75* - Atmos Blue TS 8x 

Titleist 915f 15* @ 14.25* - Atmos Blue TS 8x

Titleist 915f 18* - Fujikura Motore Speeder TS 8.2x

Titleist 816H1 17* - Fujikura Motore Speeder TS 8.8x

Titleist 818H1 21* - Fujikura Motore Speeder TS 8.8x

Titleist 2023 T150 4 & 5 iron, T100 6-9 iron - Project x6.5 ss1x 1.5* flat

Vokey SM9 Raw 46.10F, 50.12F - Project x6.0 1.5* flat, 54.12D, 58.08M - DG TI S400

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2, Toulon Garage San Diego, Odyssey #7 CH; Odyssey Tour Black #9

You mean players using 917's have those wins right? Because as we all know clubs do not win tournaments, players do. It's more about the Indian not the arrow.

Titleist are fine arrows sure enough but there are as good or better to be had, and more times than not at a lesser cost.

You mean players using 917's have those wins right? Because as we all know clubs do not win tournaments, players do. It's more about the Indian not the arrow.

Titleist are fine arrows sure enough but there are as good or better to be had, and more times than not at a lesser cost.

And this is exactly why these types of debates are pointless... is the 917 better because players using it are winning right now, or are the players just that good and would win no matter what club they were using? (as the Tiger and Rory comments suggest, since we all know the Nike offerings were neither very good nor did they sell very well). Its a question no one will ever know the answer to, so pointless to debate.

Are there better offerings than Titleist because you say so, or is that backed up with data taken from across the entire golfing community? A couple of head to head tests from magazines or blabbering British hacks is no way to determine the "best" of anything, especially golf clubs.

If the question was changed from "best driver" to "most popular driver among amateur golfers based on sales and sightings at local golf courses" of 2017 then you have something. Best based on tour wins or impartial reviews is a pretty far stretch.

I usually get very similar numbers from each OEM if dialed in to perform in same fashion. It ends up becoming everything but the numbers for me as they are all so close. Look, feel, sound....no particular order is what it comes down to for me, and then get a minimal amount of -spin from a smaller head, but prefer the look of 430/440 to a 460, so that usually puts a d3 in the bag. When r7 425 glued returns, I'll switch back to TMAG:)

Titleist 917 D3 Tour Spec Speeder
Titleist 917 F2 Tensei Orange
Titleist 818 H2 Tensei White
Titleist 718 CB 4-PW KBS C-Taper Limited Gun Metal
PXG Darkness 52/58 MCI-100 black
009 ProV1

I went and tested my 2016 M2 vs 2017 M1 460 vs 917 D3 vs Epic vs Epic SZ vs LTD. The LTD had the best ball speed of them all and was pretty straight. M2 was straightest and was giving me great launch and spin numbers. Epic SZ did edge out the M2 on smash but the difference was 1.51/1.52 vs 1.49. I couldn't find a setup with the Epic SZ that really beat out the M2. It maybe edged out if anything and I think spin and dispersion was better with the M2. The 2017 M1 460 was way too low spin for me. We didn't mess with it too long because we just knew it wasn't going to beat the M2. It wasn't until the end that we tried the LTD and its worth a ponder because the ball speeds were so much higher.

Titleist TS3 10.5 Kuro Kage DC 70 TX
Titleist TS2 3 Wood Evenflow 85
Titleist 818 H2 19* Tensei White
Titleist 718 AP3 KBS S Taper S+ 4 iron
Titleist 718 CB KBS S Taper S+ 5-9
Vokey Hand Ground by the Man himself 46F, 50F, 54K, 60V
Scotty Cameron Toolbox 009

I messed around with the Epic, Epic SZ, and '17 m1 and 2 this evening, and none were particularly better than the other - especially SZ vs m1-17.

I think it comes down to feel and aesthetics.

That said, as a 16 m2 user, the only one that really tickled my fancy and was measurably better than my gamer was the m1 440. That sucker came in 400-500 rpm less than the others, and felt and looked great.

TSR3 9* Ventus TR Black 6S

Darkspeed LS 14.5* 1K Pro White 70S

G430 19* LIN-Q TSPX Black 85H F4

TSR3 21* Kai’li White 90S
ZX5 MkII (5-P) Modus3 105X
MG4 50,54,58 Modus3 125S

009 Welded 1.5 Neck

And this is exactly why these types of debates are pointless... is the 917 better because players using it are winning right now, or are the players just that good and would win no matter what club they were using? (as the Tiger and Rory comments suggest, since we all know the Nike offerings were neither very good nor did they sell very well). Its a question no one will ever know the answer to, so pointless to debate.

Are there better offerings than Titleist because you say so, or is that backed up with data taken from across the entire golfing community? A couple of head to head tests from magazines or blabbering British hacks is no way to determine the "best" of anything, especially golf clubs.

If the question was changed from "best driver" to "most popular driver among amateur golfers based on sales and sightings at local golf courses" of 2017 then you have something. Best based on tour wins or impartial reviews is a pretty far stretch.

Tossing aside a number of independent reviews\reviewers (which I agree may be unreliable), it's based on years and years of common knowledge that there is no one driver that is better than the rest for everyone. Sure some will find the 917's work best for them, others will not. I thought my generalization regarding this was pretty obvious but I guess it wasn't. But I do agree that debating over which driver is the best performing is pointless because that answer will not be the same for everyone.

Does anyone know who sold the most drivers in 16? I remember the Ping G was king at one time. Wonder if that's how it finished.

Let me tell you what Wooderson is packin'
Sim Max 12° Speeder NX 6s
Sim2 Max 15°
Ping G410 21° 
Ping G425 22°/25°
Ping G430 6-PW AWT Stiff
Ping Glide 3.0 GW/SW

Ping Eye 2 XG LW

I have yet to hit the SZ but for ME personally, the M2 is hands down the best driver. I've pretty much tried every single offering in the past few years, and I just can't get the same ballspeeds out of anything else.

Oddly enough the only one to come close with ballspeed and spin is the new Wilson driver. I wasn't a fan of it in stock form (no other shafts to try) but properly fit it could actually be a beast I think. Possibly another sleeper, kind of like LTD is for some guys on here.

Must see : Callaway Epic Subzero Vs M1 460

Is this you with these ridiculous 330 carries?

TaylorMade 2016 Tour Issue M2x3 (8.5*/9.4*/9.8*) - Testing: Tensei 1K White 70TX

Vokey SM9 Raw 46.10F, 50.12F - Project x6.0 1.5* flat, 54.12D, 58.08M - DG TI S400

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2, Toulon Garage San Diego, Odyssey #7 CH; Odyssey Tour Black #9

I messed around with the Epic, Epic SZ, and '17 m1 and 2 this evening, and none were particularly better than the other - especially SZ vs m1-17.

I think it comes down to feel and aesthetics.

That said, as a 16 m2 user, the only one that really tickled my fancy and was measurably better than my gamer was the m1 440. That sucker came in 400-500 rpm less than the others, and felt and looked great.

That is music to my ears. I love the 2016 m2, and I just got a 2017 M1 440 to test against it.

Stealth 2+ 10.5 - Ventus Black 6X

Cobra Aerojet LS 14.5 - Kaili Blue 70 TX
PXG 0311X Gen 4 - Ventus HB 10TX

PXG 0311P Gen 3- 4 iron - HZRDUS Red 105 X
PXG 0311P Gen 3 - 5 to PW - Nippon 125 X
Vokey SM9 Raw - 50F

Vokey SM9 Raw - 54S

Vokey Raw - 60K Low Bounce

Scotty Cameron X5R Flow Neck Torched Finish

Have tinkered with the M1 and Sub Zero for a few days with fitting cart shafts and ill be honest, numbers are identical with the best head setting/shaft combos in both. Went with the TalyorMade M1 460 as it felt the best to me at impact and I like the look at address. Both drivers in my opinion are the top two choices for 2017..... Now lets see what the M2 has to say about that ;)

How many yards difference are we really talking about? I play 915, but considering testing M2 & callaway.... however, I'd think I need a good 10-15 yds to justify the price.

I switched from the 915 to the Ping G LS last year and gained zero yards (seemed more forgiving and I liked the feel at impact that's all). The new M1 and Sub Zero Epic are 10-15 yards longer than the Ping for me. YMMV

I went and tested my 2016 M2 vs 2017 M1 460 vs 917 D3 vs Epic vs Epic SZ vs LTD. The LTD had the best ball speed of them all and was pretty straight. M2 was straightest and was giving me great launch and spin numbers. Epic SZ did edge out the M2 on smash but the difference was 1.51/1.52 vs 1.49. I couldn't find a setup with the Epic SZ that really beat out the M2. It maybe edged out if anything and I think spin and dispersion was better with the M2. The 2017 M1 460 was way too low spin for me. We didn't mess with it too long because we just knew it wasn't going to beat the M2. It wasn't until the end that we tried the LTD and its worth a ponder because the ball speeds were so much higher.

what ball?

"We have learned that we must
live as men, not as ostriches, nor
as dogs in the manger." FDR

How many yards difference are we really talking about? I play 915, but considering testing M2 & callaway.... however, I'd think I need a good 10-15 yds to justify the price.

Obviously everyone is going to have different results. I have the 915 D3 8.5 that I gamed in 2015. I also picked up the 917 D3 9.5 turned to C1 to open the face to about 1.5*. I put that up against my M1 which was set at about 8.6* and my m2 which is actual 8.4* All the heads were used with rogue silver 125 70s tipped 0.75".

Honestly, I've always been a Titleist fanboy and the entire bag is Titleist besides the driver. I wanted one of the Titleists to work. The 915 is a great club, but I couldn't get over how loud or the feel, even after it was hot melted. The 917 felt and sounded much better, but the ball speed numbers were 1.5-2.0 mph slower than both M1/M2 and the spin on the M's was a few hundred rpm less. All this translated into on average about 5-8 yards more distance than the m1. Up against each other, the M2 nudged out the M1 by about about 3-4 yards. The ball speed on the M2 was 0.5 mph, launch was a 1.0 degrees higher and spin was about the same. This all led to about 3 more yards on both carry and total distance for the M2. It could be just that slightly more forgiving profile on miss hits helped the M2, although smash factor averaged 1.47 for both.

Also, I didn't feel I was gaining any accuracy with the Titleist. In fact, the two M drivers are both tour issue and are 1.7* open for the M1 and 2.9* open for the M2, so they setup way better to my eye and I don't have to fear left the same way. With the Titleist drivers, the ball still had a right to left bias.

Just hit the M1, M2, and SZ in the stock stuff settings. 10 shots each. I could put the M2 in the bag right now.

SZ had the highest top ball speed, but I had some big misses to the right. I have a lot of trouble getting comfortable at address with an all black head. Topped out at 278, but the average was around 255 because of the big misses.

Would like to hit the M1 when I had some time to tinker. Moving the weight back and to the right should in theory increase forgiveness and hopefully straighten out my draw a few yards. Topped out at 274, and averaged 266. Ball consistently drew more than my 2016 M1, and some shots would likely have missed the fairway to the left.

M2 was amazing. The contrast of the black and white on the crown fits my eye perfectly. Topped out at 276 averaged 273. Everything was within 5 yards of the center line, launch and spin were basically identical on all 10 swings.

Went back and tried the SZ again, and went right back to spraying it right.

Didn't want to buy a driver this year, but I am now very intrigued to get to a demo day and hit the M series outside.

Hit the 9.0 Epic with the standard stuff HZRDUS shaft just now. Ball speed was up 4 MPH on everything else I hit, but it launched really high and I wasn't getting any roll. Definitely intrigued, but I'm not sure I'm $500 intrigued by any of the 2017 drivers.

what ball?

Pro V1 X. Testing done indoors on Trackman.

Titleist TS3 10.5 Kuro Kage DC 70 TX
Titleist TS2 3 Wood Evenflow 85
Titleist 818 H2 19* Tensei White
Titleist 718 AP3 KBS S Taper S+ 4 iron
Titleist 718 CB KBS S Taper S+ 5-9
Vokey Hand Ground by the Man himself 46F, 50F, 54K, 60V
Scotty Cameron Toolbox 009

I'm a huge tinkerer but 2016 was about the M1 and M2 vs 917 for me. The 917 felt and looked great, but I also have a tour issue M1 that it was up against. The M1 was hot melted quite a bit and feels wonderful. I did many testing sessions over a couple months late last year, both with Rogue Silver 125 70s shafts. Over all the testing, the M1 had 1.5 to 2.0 mph more ball speed and about 400-500 rpm less spin with the same launch. This translated into about 5-10 more yards carry for the M1 depending on the day. Dispersion with the M1 was also slightly better, and as someone who has been working on swinging left and hitting a fade, this was harder to do with the 917. The 917 was draw all day. The M1 was straight to slight fade/drift right. The M1 won and I sold the 917.

Fast forward to this week. I picked up a tour issue M2. Honestly, there had been so many good reviews and so many players going to it, I had to give it a fair test. The one I picked up has also been hot melted so it feels awesome as well. We were lucky with high 50s here in Boston for the last couple days so I went to the outdoor range. I have only hit it at the range with typical range balls and it even feels and sounds amazing with those! I haven't felt a better driver than this maybe ever (not counting puring a balata with a persimmon). I kept going back and forth with the M1 with the same shaft. The m2 felt slightly better but forgiveness is much better, even though I was consistently finding the center. Both heads are stamped 9.5 but the actual loft of the m2 is 8.4 and the actual loft of the M1 is 10.1. This is just going by eye but trajectory didn't seem to vary much. I haven't been on the GC2 hmt to compare launch, spin, ball speed and total distance, but that will happen this week. Given given how much more forgiving, the M1 will have to be a lot longer to win out. Maybe the hotmelt on the M2 is just in the perfect place for me, or maybe the M2 pairs better with the rogue 125 for me, but it really is wonderful. Maybe I need a different shaft with the m1, but given all the tinkering I've done with the M1, I've gotten it to about 11.5 launch/2000 spin which is as dialed in as I'm going to get with my pedestrian un-wrx-like low 160s ball speed. Who knows.

10.5 M2 with 125 MSI is still my gamer vs the new stuff...

I just put a Tensei Orange v2 in the M2 last night. I haven't been on a monitor to confirm numbers yet, but the Rogue may be losing its starting job.

Took my son to the local golf shop this evening to get him a new driver for the upcoming HS golf season. He'd been using my old Ping G30 and was getting OK results from it at the end of last year but now he's outswinging the stock R flex shaft. He hit the '16 and '17 M1 and M2, Epic, F7, 917 and Triton all with their respective stock S flex shafts. Best results were between the '16 M2 and the Triton, by a fair margin, easily 10+ yards longer with these two. He then grabs a Ping G LS Tec out of the used bin and commenced to crush 5 drives in a row. This was a 9* head with the Tour 65 S shaft. Then he got serious about the Ping, M2 and Triton and the Ping won out. He really liked the look and feel of the M2 and the Triton was his first choice because it looked cool but he couldn't ignore the results. Needless to say I saved a good chunk since the Ping was a demo, and just goes to show you should hit everything and let the clubs provide the proof, not the advertising or what the latest and greatest/most expensive on the rack is. I'm sure if we had played around with other shafts in the three clubs the results could have been different, but not significant enough to make it worth the effort.

So I guess the best driver of 2017 for this 16y/o junior golfer is the Ping G LS Tec.

Regardless of the driver you choose to buy, I'd recommend getting it shorter than 45" to 46" that all the OEMs seem to be selling now. I'm happy with the 917 d3 that I recently purchased, and I think much of my improved performance is due to its length of 44.5" that I ordered.

Callaway Mavrik 10.5* HZRDS 6.0 55g
Cobra BioCell 3w PXi S
Callaway Mavrik 20* Catalyst 65 5.5

Callaway Mavrik 5h 23* Catalyst 65 5.5
Titleist DCI 962 2-PW DG S300
Cleveland 588 54*, Callaway PM Grind 58*
Cameron Mil-Spec 

Tossing aside a number of independent reviews\reviewers (which I agree may be unreliable), it's based on years and years of common knowledge that there is no one driver that is better than the rest for everyone. Sure some will find the 917's work best for them, others will not. I thought my generalization regarding this was pretty obvious but I guess it wasn't. But I do agree that debating over which driver is the best performing is pointless because that answer will not be the same for everyone.

There is a point to these debates...if you are "paid / given free stuff" to talk-up one company's driver in an online forum this is the place to do it!

Otherwise completely pointless...all drivers are good, most golfers are not!

M2: Been testing it because everyone had a love affair with it, actually performs the worst of my comparisons.

Epic: Just went for test drive, not impressed with the numbers, think it sounds awful too.

Cobra F7+: by far best results of my comparisons. Matte black looks smashing and the sound is spot on. Get the best accuracy and distance with it.