Inside and outside the ropes

Aimnhit

• Replies 494
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

AH,

Β 

I am 18 years old and currently in my first year of junior college golf. I get told by many people I have a lot of talent etc etc but I have a hard time putting together a full 18 hole round. I go on runs of 3 or 4 birdies in 5 holes but then bleed strokes coming down the stretch and so on.

Β 

my questions are

Β 

1) What should someone do to become more comfortable or to "learn how to go low"?

Β 

2) for some with aspirations of playing professional golf, what is a piece of advice you would give them? Whether it be what to practice or what is most important in becoming a professional golfer.

Β 

Thank you for an awesome thread, best of luck in the upcoming season,

Β 

Merry Christmas,

Β 

Zack

How easy is it to blow your money? I know from the European Tour player at my club a lot is spent on travel/accommodation but they have made a few dodgy investments that have risked their hard won checks. Have you got carried away and as you get older is it easier to be more sensible with the dough?

This is AHs thread yet it seems dominated by a few posters who should probably be taking their conversations to PMs. Unless you have something directly related to the OPs posts or questions, please stop derailing this thread.

Β 

The stated purpose of the thread is for AH to post his journal/progress for people to get insights of the tour and ask questions.

Β 

Not the medical conditions and welfare of others. Please make it easier for others to follow and read by not interjecting sideways or side bar conversations. This should not be a look at me too thread. Please use the pm system or start another topic.

Β 

this!!!!. first 7 pages mostly garbage between several posters.

Β 

OP thanks for taking the time to answer our questions and start this thread.

Β 

it seems like towards the end of the year- october-december i lose my taste for golf in general, play and practice very little and when i do its begrudgingly. how do you keep motivated year after year.

This is AHs thread yet it seems dominated by a few posters who should probably be taking their conversations to PMs. Unless you have something directly related to the OPs posts or questions, please stop derailing this thread.

Β 

The stated purpose of the thread is for AH to post his journal/progress for people to get insights of the tour and ask questions.

Β 

Not the medical conditions and welfare of others. Please make it easier for others to follow and read by not interjecting sideways or side bar conversations. This should not be a look at me too thread. Please use the pm system or start another topic.

Β 

Β 

Β 

it seems like towards the end of the year- october-december i lose my taste for golf in general, play and practice very little and when i do its begrudgingly. how do you keep motivated year after year.

Β 

Hmmmm, this makes me think if OP ever played Waste Management would be interesting to hear about THE hole.

Β 

Garbage has helped these pros. ?

Aim- Your identity is safe with me! Ahh who am i kidding, I don't know and don't care. Greg's assurance are good with me. :)

Β 

My question is sort of the counter version to the nervous questions. I believe you touched on it earlier. How do you keep your focus throughout a round/tournament. It is easy for me to go on a 3-4 under run for a stretch of holes but then often the wheels kind of fall off and I realize afterwards that I went through a stretch where my head was not really engrossed in the shot. Hmm I may be answering my own question as I type lol but how do you deal with it? At your level it is much more vital that every shot be played with your whole attention.

Β 

Thanks for the thread,

Β 

Hilgy

Titleist TSR4 9Β° Tensei AV White 65

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5Β° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19Β° Β hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TSR3 24Β° Diamana Ahina

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50Β° F & 56Β° M SM9 60Β°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

Β 

Β 

AH,

Β 

I am 18 years old and currently in my first year of junior college golf. I get told by many people I have a lot of talent etc etc but I have a hard time putting together a full 18 hole round. I go on runs of 3 or 4 birdies in 5 holes but then bleed strokes coming down the stretch and so on.

Β 

my questions are

Β 

1) What should someone do to become more comfortable or to "learn how to go low"?

Β 

2) for some with aspirations of playing professional golf, what is a piece of advice you would give them? Whether it be what to practice or what is most important in becoming a professional golfer.

Β 

Β 

Merry Christmas,

Β 

Zack

Β 

What's up bro.

Β 

1) I'm sure you have probably heard this before but it work great for for going low. I actually still use it now. I like to play off the ladies tee. It allows you to go low and get use to the feelings created when your going low. Basically what it does is it allows you to gain experience with the deep numbers so when you start to get rockin in game day atmosphere it's not as foreign to you.

Β 

2) I believe the biggest thing at your age is to out work everyone. From age 15-22 is some of the most important years of your life to take the leep to the professional ranks. when I was around the same age there really wasn't a second of the day that I wouldn't be, playing or thinking about golf. From the moment I woke I was at the range or out in my back yard chipping. At night it was putting in my room till late hours of the night. You have to love and breathe it bro, books DVD everything. Studying every golf swing, especially the guys with similar builds. Breathe golf!

Β 

Hope this helps brother

SB

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Sir

Β 

Hope all is well. I think your issue is really not uncommon at all, actually I think it's great. It gives your mind a really good chance to reset for the new golfing season ahead. Your other option is to make changes. You most keep your mind active with someone new or you will start to feel just like you do. Burnt out.

Β 

Cheers

AH

Aim- Your identity is safe with me! Ahh who am i kidding, I don't know and don't care. Greg's assurance are good with me. :)

Β 

My question is sort of the counter version to the nervous questions. I believe you touched on it earlier. How do you keep your focus throughout a round/tournament. It is easy for me to go on a 3-4 under run for a stretch of holes but then often the wheels kind of fall off and I realize afterwards that I went through a stretch where my head was not really engrossed in the shot. Hmm I may be answering my own question as I type lol but how do you deal with it? At your level it is much more vital that every shot be played with your whole attention.

Β 

Thanks for the thread,

Β 

Hilgy

Β 

Hilgy

Β 

Good question and a tough one to answer as I think it's very much understanding yourself and what is best for you. The guys on tour do it a number of different ways. Some guys like to be 110% focus all day and never switch off. Like jday. I've seen him first hand being so spent after a round of golf because of how hard it is to stay focused for 6 hours and never deviate. Over guys like to switch on and off as soon as the shot is played. Some guys go through a few holes then switch off for a hole or two while walking between shots and then back to full intensity after a break. You will find most guys do the last one. Again it's really what works best for you. I really struggle around 12- 14 on most days. So I just have be aware and work a little hard harder around that time.

Β 

Best wishes

AH

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Hmmmm, this makes me think if OP ever played Waste Management would be interesting to hear about THE hole.

Β 

Garbage has helped these pros. ?

Β 

It's a great hole. But can be very nerve racking because of the noise variations and the time of day . We are not really accustomed to holes like this as it's really the only one like it. I think I average about 4 over a year on it!

Β 

But it is a wonderful experience!

Cheers

AH

AH,

Β 

Β 

my questions are

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Merry Christmas,

Β 

Zack

Β 

What's up bro.

Β 

1) I'm sure you have probably heard this before but it work great for for going low. I actually still use it now. I like to play off the ladies tee. It allows you to go low and get use to the feelings created when your going low. Basically what it does is it allows you to gain experience with the deep numbers so when you start to get rockin in game day atmosphere it's not as foreign to you.

Β 

2) I believe the biggest thing at your age is to out work everyone. From age 15-22 is some of the most important years of your life to take the leep to the professional ranks. when I was around the same age there really wasn't a second of the day that I wouldn't be, playing or thinking about golf. From the moment I woke I was at the range or out in my back yard chipping. At night it was putting in my room till late hours of the night. You have to love and breathe it bro, books DVD everything. Studying every golf swing, especially the guys with similar builds. Breathe golf!

Β 

Hope this helps brother

SB

Β 

BOOM!

AH,

Β 

Β 

my questions are

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Merry Christmas,

Β 

Zack

Β 

What's up bro.

Β 

Β 

Β 

Hope this helps brother

SB

Β 

SB,

Β 

Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions in so much detail. I truly appreciate it.

Β 

Zack

How easy is it to blow your money? I know from the European Tour player at my club a lot is spent on travel/accommodation but they have made a few dodgy investments that have risked their hard won checks. Have you got carried away and as you get older is it easier to be more sensible with the dough?

Β 

Sorry I missed this.

Β 

Over the years I have learnt through experiences, especially early on to be very skeptical with investments. I have a quite a few different ones now that create good mail box money but like a lot of young guys I was very loose with my money early. Not to many big purchases on silly things but occasionally. Most of my toys that I buy are goals that I have. You will find that lots of guys do this. I remember seeing M Cambell draw a plane on his ball to remind himself to grind when things get bad and to see the end goal.

Β 

Sorry I missed this.

Β 

Over the years I have learnt through experiences, especially early on to be very skeptical with investments. I have a quite a few different ones now that create good mail box money but like a lot of young guys I was very loose with my money early. Not to many big purchases on silly things but occasionally. Most of my toys that I buy are goals that I have. You will find that lots of guys do this. I remember seeing M Cambell draw a plane on his ball to remind himself to grind when things get bad and to see the end goal.

Β 

That is pretty cool and something I wouldn't have thought of - putting a visual on the ball.

Β 

Did people emerge from the shadows after your successes looking to handle your investments or benefit from you?

Β 

Sorry I missed this.

Β 

Β 

That is pretty cool and something I wouldn't have thought of - putting a visual on the ball.

Β 

Did people emerge from the shadows after your successes looking to handle your investments or benefit from you?

Β 

Yes sir. It's amazing the friends you have after a big check. I probably get 3 calls a month about start up companies. But not many from the investment stand point.

I see a few questions about nerves and coping with them. Obviously we can sit here and talk about how to breathe through your stomach properly, tricking the mind all that kind of stuff. But the best advice I can give anyone that I have learnt through my experiences is acceptance. Accept the fact you are nervous, let it come in don't fight it, acknowledge it and let it pass through. The moment you try to stop it is the moment it wins and bad things can happen. Once you have expected it and then the brain can move forward to the task at hand. You will obviously still be neverous but a couple of big breaths and dig into your pre shot you will be better off..

I will never forget the most nervous I have even been, I'm on the first tee and the crowd is going nuts, the place is electric. Probably 10k people. I'm on the first tee and can hardly put my glove the adrenaline so intense, had to get my caddy to pull my head cover off the driver I was that bad.. luckily my playing partner hit first who is a top 20 player in world. He steps up and I begin to use all my breathing techniques to calm myself down as much as I can. As I watch him put the ball on the tee or at least try and then grip the club, I could see he was feeling the same or if not was then what I was with nerves.. he proceeded to hit the tee shot well into the crap. Terrible swing. But at that point I thought to myself.. man he has more nerves then me right now. Once I understood that everyone, no matter what level,we all get them, I was good to go! Flush straight down the middle, I walked off the tee down the fairway thinking that that would probably be one of the most important lesson I will ever learn in my career about dealing with nerves weather it be winning or fighting for your life to keep your card somewhere or even winning your club championship.. always remember that there are another 100 guys or girls that are feeling exactly the same way you are.. it's just your choice now how to accept it, use it and beat them!

Β 

AH

Love this post. Tournament golf at any level is all about learning to embrace the pressure, not getting over it. If you don't like that feeling, you shouldn't be playing tournament golf. I've used the bungee jumping analogy a lot over the years.... You don't go bungee jumping to try to not feel anything, you go because you love the rush! To play tournament golf at any level, you have to love (embrace) the rush!

Β 

In the above round you were talking about, how did you do the rest of the day??

Can't believe this one is drifting away, the GolfWRX way...

Β 

We had super extra-mod owners posting rather rudelycondemning drift, speculation about identity, a hint at actual identity accidentally perhaps.

Β 

I'll echo Isaac's question and say it seems like you've closed tournaments barely holding on and you've made a move and reeled a leader in, so is there something extra you feel when it's turning into a great scoring day? How do you try and conjure the magic?

Β 

Β 

Β 

We had super extra-mod owners posting rather rudelycondemning drift, speculation about identity, a hint at actual identity accidentally perhaps.

Β 

I'll echo Isaac's question and say it seems like you've closed tournaments barely holding on and you've made a move and reeled a leader in, so is there something extra you feel when it's turning into a great scoring day? How do you try and conjure the magic?

Β 

Once AH begins playing in tournaments i'm sure he will have more to post.

Β 

I also don't think he intended this to be an ongoing Q&A thread but more of a blog about what he's going thru while practicing and playing. The fact that he's been willing to answer questions is a bonus.

Β 

The fact that a few members feel they should have complete freedom to say or ask whatever they want in this thread, shows a complete disrespect for not only Aimnhit but also the rest of the membership that wants to read his posts and not the rambling about other members personal experiences.

Β 

Greg

GolfWRX.com
twitter @gdm43pga

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

I also don't think he intended this to be an ongoing Q&A thread but more of a blog about what he's going thru while practicing and playing. The fact that he's been willing to answer questions is a bonus.

Β 

The fact that a few members feel they should have complete freedom to say or ask whatever they want in this thread, shows a complete disrespect for not only Aimnhit but also the rest of the membership that wants to read his posts and not the rambling about other members personal experiences.

Β 

Greg

Β 

So what is a discussion forum for? If you don't want questions don't join and post it's that simple. He chose to participate and answer so I think he's quite happy to. Without any of the airs and graces. Funny how the pro has been quite pleasant.

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Greg

Β 

So what is a discussion forum for? If you don't want questions don't join and post it's that simple. He chose to participate and answer so I think he's quite happy to. Without any of the airs and graces. Funny how the pro has been quite pleasant.

Β 

It's one thing to ask questions (I didn't say don't ask questions). It's another thing to have expectations or demand that your question be answered (or attack Aimnhit for not liking how he answered a question) . And then a third thing to ramble on with personal conversations that have nothing to do with Aimnhit at all.

Β 

I guess when Aimnhit has time and chooses to come back to this thread, we can all see where it goes.

Β 

Β 

Greg

GolfWRX.com
twitter @gdm43pga

Greg,

Since you vouched for veracity/authenticity of Aimnhit's status-maybe if you had started thread and made some form of introduction to purpose and Aimnhit himself,respecting his requested anonymity and understanding that may cause skepticism, then thread may have taken a different path. Not saying that it should be required, just offering a constructive way to avoid potential problems in future. Regarding the answering questions, Aimnhit stated in original post that was willing to answer questions as his time allowed- I agree questions should be respectful and appropriate.

Titleist TSR2 10* (d4 surefit) Fujikura Motore Speeder 7.2s
Titleist 904f 17* YS7+s
Titleist 962b 3-pw s300
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 52* s400
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 58* s400
Ping Zing2 BeCu