Inside and outside the ropes

Aimnhit

Guys and girls

My apologies if I don't get to answer all your questions, I however will try. On another note there are a few concerns on my identity and why I don't want to shed my light on the matter. The simple reason is I don't want to. It's really not that big of a deal in my eyes. I'm not after any creditability or love. I'm simply giving a daily journal of my golf. If you don't want to read to what I'm writing well that is your choice and I completely respect it. But if you want to join in, contribute, ask questions and maybe we both can learn something together. Which again is your choice also and I welcome you with arms wide open. Either way it's your choice and it's no skin off my back.

Good golfing

AH

Aim:

I don't blame you one bit for embracing internet forum anonymity. I think it's pretty smart.

Just imagine you win the Masters someday and then turn on TGC only find Brandle Chamblee has been cruising these forum and pulls out a tidbit where you were making a joke or even saying something controversial....then you'd be in the middle of a #($)storm.

Or Johnny Miller could find some advice you've given to someone and then spend 20 minutes on TV telling you how stupid you are.

Or sponsors would find something that could cost you money.....

I agree that internet anonymity is a no brainer with all the cyber bullying and other crap that goes on online these days. I take my hat off to those with the cajoles to put their real identity behind their posts, but I have always been a bit of a wuss and slightly on the paranoid side, and don't give up my identity online. I don't even have a favebook account in my real name.

• Replies 494
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Greg,

Since you vouched for veracity/authenticity of Aimnhit's status-maybe if you had started thread and made some form of introduction to purpose and Aimnhit himself,respecting his requested anonymity and understanding that may cause skepticism, then thread may have taken a different path. Not saying that it should be required, just offering a constructive way to avoid potential problems in future. Regarding the answering questions, Aimnhit stated in original post that was willing to answer questions as his time allowed- I agree questions should be respectful and appropriate.

I second this Greg - would have cut down on a lot of noise within the posts. Nevertheless, I thoroughly enjoyed and have read every post. I cannot say that too often.

Wilson Deep Red II Tour (9.0)
King Cobra SZ (15.5), G10 HY (18, 21, 24)
MP-32 5i - 9i, Vokey SM5 50, 54 (F), 58 (M)
Rife Aussie

AH, I've really enjoyed reading this entire thread. Thanks for sharing your experiences with us. Happy New Years, and much success this coming season.

What is your general opinion of swing coaches? Over the years many pros seem to have lost their careers due to bad advice. How do you avoid making the wrong swing change? Some people say the enemy of good is better.

As you were getting better, and developing your game, did you have any breakthrough moments when your game took a quantum leap forward? What was the big key or moment for you?

Thanks Again

AH, I've really enjoyed reading this entire thread. Thanks for sharing your experiences with us. Happy New Years, and much success this coming season.

What is your general opinion of swing coaches? Over the years many pros seem to have lost their careers due to bad advice. How do you avoid making the wrong swing change? Some people say the enemy of good is better.

As you were getting better, and developing your game, did you have any breakthrough moments when your game took a quantum leap forward? What was the big key or moment for you?

Thanks Again

Not trying to threadjack, but the topic of swing coaches is a very grey area. There have been spectacular successes like Faldo, but plenty of plane crashes like IBF, Harrington, Seve etc etc. I know nothing about technical aspects of golfswing changes, but one thing I have noticed is that alot of the failures seem to be guys who make a change to try to hit draws for more distance (IBF, Harrington), but the guys who changed to hit fades seem to have gone on to bigger things (Hogan and so far so good DJ). It seems for guys at tour level the fade is an easier change to make and produces better results.

Brad Hughes talks about how swing coaches wrecked his game by changing his backswing from what was natural to him to their method. If I made it to the tour I would be very cautious about taking on a swing coach. Trevino had the right idea.

Wow, what a great read this has been. Not just for the input from AH, but also a great look into human nature haha. The man has been generous with his time, given out plenty of advice and certainly appears to be reputable. All he has asked for is to remain anonymous.... yet people have still come out and criticise and constantly debate what really should be a non factor, his name. I guess it highlights the innate curiosity and need for information we all have...

The advice you provided around that mental approach with mindfullness and grounding is awesome to hear. As much as the technical skills are essential, getting the right head space is what will make or break you! Something that should be taken both on and off the golf course. I look forward to following this thread as the season kicks off!

Having said all that, good luck next season RTL ;)

Happy new year!!

I hope everyone's head isn't to sore this morning after bringing in the new year.

Unfortunately I haven't had to much to post about recently. There hasn't been much golf on my part lately but hopefully I will be back at this week.

I see there is still conversation on my identity. Although I haven't tried real hard to keep myself annomous as you can tell by lots of little hints here and there but also haven't completely admitted who I am but it's very obvious. Its because i just want to stay a golf fan, not a Pga player that is seeking attention and have every word they say put into minutes just in case i do well and then have that used against in the media which I can assure you I has happened before to me. I feel if I stay under the radar and just be a golf tragic, like we all are, I can go into more detail with everyone and not have it back fire on me, so it becomes a win win for everyone IMO.. There are so many social media avenues out there that the media can use if they choose and all I really want is for this forum not to be one of them so I can just be a golf fan without any repercussions down the track.

I truly hope this puts an end to all questions and to see my direction of which I'm coming from. Again this is not a secrettourpro play.

Also with all the questions I welcome them. I will try my best to answer them. obviously there will be a few over the course of time that I will miss or I choose not too. Or it might take some time to get back too you. Again my apologies.

I already see there are some haters/sceptics out there and I'm sorry you feel this way, just the way of life I guess. Although I respect your right to be, just know that you will you will be ignored or get a response depending on how many over par I shot that day haha. Nah

Anyways best wishes for the new year of 2017! Both on and off the golf course, let's all make it a year to look back on and say yes! That's one to remember!

Happy new year

AH

Great explanation, and happy new year to you too!

I think that's a very clear call to address Aimnhit by his username and or the initials that he "prefers" AH. I think that's the very least we can do.

It seems that the timing, intention, mental focus is so finite in this game that a little thing, like whether my wife gives her blessings to my round begrudgingly or if I've had a good week at work can change some outcomes. Let's hope that our touring friend can cash in on some of the very positive things going on in his life and put up some numbers.

Am I correct that the Sony Hawaii Open will be the next tournament? If you have a minute can you sound off on whether you prefer certain architects, length of course? You've already stated you prefer a tougher layout, does that effect your schedule?

Waialae is a Seth Raynor design that's around 7,200 yards, Sneds and Fabian Gomez tied last year in regulation at -20, so that's pretty low. Useless trivia: Waialae is Hawaiian for "artisian spring" and a local bird that's related to a "mud hen" - there you go. Spring Water Mud Hen Country Club.

I was on the putting green at Scioto and you can't help but of hear conversations and guess what ,they are just like us. They talk about Furyk's 58, new equipment , golf course's all like we would chat about. We are all golf geeks hoping to find a tip , a new mental approach, a new driver or putter and just talk golf. No matter what level you are there are high and low's. Many years ago I learned the more I have fun, the more I enjoy my playing partners, the less time I spend in the 'ZONE' the better I play. let's not torture this guy with question's because I am pretty sure he may have some for us, happy new year and I hope everyone meets there golfing and life goals.

m6 9 degree , tensai pro orange 70s , and epic flash sub zero rogue 60x
m4 3 wd, 15 degree rogue 125 msi 60 tour x  and epic flash sub zero hzrdus 70x,
818 h2 hybrid 19 degree ,tour spec blue 85s
taylor p790 17 degree
taylormade p760 3-pw
vokey 50--56--60
taylormade spider tour dj version and cleveland huntington beach number 1
epic green staff bag or taylormade flex lite 

Wishing you the best in 2017 AH - hope SC brought you and your family all you wanted for the holidays and more.

How did you go about deciding on your wedge gaps? I noticed the 50/54 and then 60 - is the 50/54 more about yardage gapping working from your irons, whereas you see the 60 as the speciality club? Does your bag stay pretty constant during the year or are there particular courses where you fine-tune your bag for the course?

Appreciate you time for answering everyone's questions - I've learned a lot.

Wilson Deep Red II Tour (9.0)
King Cobra SZ (15.5), G10 HY (18, 21, 24)
MP-32 5i - 9i, Vokey SM5 50, 54 (F), 58 (M)
Rife Aussie

Easy question that I'm not sure has been asked yet: Are some of next years' (now this years') club offerings generating much noise at the Tour level? The new Cally drivers and to a lesser extent the new M2 series are creating a bunch of chatter here.

Not really to be honest sir. IMO the drivers have been maxed out about 6-7 years now. I honestly think the biggest technology in the past decade that has allowed people to hit it farther is the trackman. They are the ones that have figured the maximum distance the ball can go based on spin and launch.

The manufacturing companies have to bring out new equipment every so often so the can keep generating a profit which is completely understandable. They are no different to anyone company out there that wants to survive.

In saying that are we going to try the new gear? Absolutely! We are all like kids in a candy store!

AH, I'm glad you had a nice holidays and are continuing this thread. Hopefully we'll be able to see you here in Phoenix soon at the WM.

I do not recall if this was asked but do you play a predominant shot shape? If yes how often do you play the other way?

Titleist TSR4 9° Tensei AV White 65

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TSR3 24° Diamana Ahina

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

Wanted to say thank you for answering questions and posting your experiences here.

On the subject of swing changes, have you ever undergone a significant change yourself? Was it a result of instructor or your own desire to make a change? To me, it's hard to find the balance between "this is an actual flaw to change because it will make me play better golf" and "change for the sake of looking prettier/pointless change." Do you have anything you could share with us yourself?

Wishing you the best in 2017 AH - hope SC brought you and your family all you wanted for the holidays and more.

How did you go about deciding on your wedge gaps? I noticed the 50/54 and then 60 - is the 50/54 more about yardage gapping working from your irons, whereas you see the 60 as the speciality club? Does your bag stay pretty constant during the year or are there particular courses where you fine-tune your bag for the course?

Appreciate you time for answering everyone's questions - I've learned a lot.

Sir

I probably changed my wedge setup about 6 or so years ago. The reason being I took my 3 iron out therefor I made all my lofts basically 2 degrees stronger throughout my bag to make up for this and still have a consistent gap throughout.

I would say my sixty is my most important club in the bag for and the one I'm most particular about. I'm not a big changer of my wedges. I've had the same ones now for 6 or so years. I do change my 60 though about once a month this is to keep the groves nice a sharp. But it's always exactly the same just still in the plastic

Cheers

AH

Great explanation, and happy new year to you too!

I think that's a very clear call to address Aimnhit by his username and or the initials that he "prefers" AH. I think that's the very least we can do.

It seems that the timing, intention, mental focus is so finite in this game that a little thing, like whether my wife gives her blessings to my round begrudgingly or if I've had a good week at work can change some outcomes. Let's hope that our touring friend can cash in on some of the very positive things going on in his life and put up some numbers.

Am I correct that the Sony Hawaii Open will be the next tournament? If you have a minute can you sound off on whether you prefer certain architects, length of course? You've already stated you prefer a tougher layout, does that effect your schedule?

Waialae is a Seth Raynor design that's around 7,200 yards, Sneds and Fabian Gomez tied last year in regulation at -20, so that's pretty low. Useless trivia: Waialae is Hawaiian for "artisian spring" and a local bird that's related to a "mud hen" - there you go. Spring Water Mud Hen Country Club.

I'm still 100% sure yet. But I'm hoping too.

Obviously there are lots of different courses that suit different styles of players. I think the grass is the most common one that affect most players in general both good and bad. Sure there are some course that will fit your eye better then others but at the end of day its form that will really determine the outcome of the week.

I also think these days with the depth of the players out there scheduling really doesn't happen as much as it used to. The reason being is it is so lurcative these days that you really don't want to be at the end of the year pushing to keep your card because you wanted a break somewhere along the course the year. This is obviously different for the top guys because of major wins and so forth but I think in general everyone plays a lot till they get to that million dollar make and then really start scheduling from there.

Cheers

AH

AH, I'm glad you had a nice holidays and are continuing this thread. Hopefully we'll be able to see you here in Phoenix soon at the WM.

I do not recall if this was asked but do you play a predominant shot shape? If yes how often do you play the other way?

Sir

Not really to be honest. I guess it's really the case of dance with one you bring. My shot shape probably runs from month to month on which one I feel more confident in hitting. It definitely changes for me. I have played great with both shapes with irons but my driver is better when I hit the fade in general.

Thanks

AH

Happy New Year AH,

Like most everyone else, I really appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts/insights, and hopefully wins!! :D

During your practice sessions when your hitting a particular club(s) well, do you continue to "groove" the feeling or do you move on to something else.

For example, if I'm hitting my 7 - PW well, I move on to my lower irons, even though time isn't of the essence. Kind of do the same thing when chipping, if I'm chipping well, I move on to putting.

For this year, I think I'm going to be more regimented. For example, if I set aside an hour for chipping, I'm going to chip for an hour, no matter how well I'm chipping, and resist moving to something else.

Happy New Year, AH,

First, thanks for sharing here. If you don't mind me saying, you seem to be a stand up guy, much appreciated.

I was wondering about how much you tweek your clubs. Lead tape, special grinds, grip thicknesses, bending lie and lofts, etc. Perhaps a brief explanation of each.

Thanks in advance,

D.C.

AH,

I was part of those early posters who questioned your anonymity and I want to apologize. I completely understand. It really is interesting to hear all the interesting things that you pros go through.

Curious who you thought was the most gifted, talented Australian golfer besides the "obvious" choice? Norman, Appleby, Allenby, Badds, Scott or J-Day? I know there are others, but these are the ones I identified mostly with.

Hope you have a great 2017 golf year. I will be watching you with newfound respect for your contributions to this golf forum.

Thank you in advance.

JB

AH -

This might be the lamest question you'll get on here, but I'm going to ask it anyway. You mentioned earlier that you don't mind traveling - I think you alluded to the travel time as a way to relax and clear your mind. I just finished packing my bags for my first business trip of 2017 and I'm one of those morons that has a consulting job that keeps me on the road 85-90% of the year - I happen to agree with you regarding travel. I find that on flights I can use a portion to catch up on work and the rest to catch up on the mindless stuff that I enjoy (movies, books, reading wrx until they yell at me to turn off my phone, etc).

Here's the question (finally) - the part of travel I hate is unpacking and ironing my clothes. On tour, I have to assume that the tour vans handle all of your clothing for you, correct? Do they pick all of your stuff every week and give it to you when you arrive, or do some guys choose to manage it all themselves? What do you do with the stuff after you're done - do they launder it and get it ready for the next week? I'd kill for someone to show up with my stuff for me - at least once or twice a year I forget to pack ties or a belt and I'm left overpaying in an airport shop so I don't show up looking like an even bigger doofus.

I really enjoy this thread - thanks for posting and giving us another look into life on the Tour. Good stuff.

Been trying to follow this as much as possible and thanks for taking the time to answer all the questions.

I have a few if you don't mind to answer (forgive me if this has been asked in one way or another already)

You mentioned your biggest win at 1.1mill as a pga tour win

- Can you describe if it felt better to win on the highest level (personal bucket list goal i'm sure) or was money more of a relief or status (what was the feeling you felt most accomplished about)

- As a follow up when you win did you have the feeling like you can coast a bit more or was there any thoughts about how you can repeat that kind of success.

- Lastly do you feel any jealousy towards tour players who seem to win in buckets and make it look effortless.

Ping 425 Max Tour Shaft X 75g 

TSI 4 Wood (3 wood smoke shaft)

500U 3 Iron Smoke 80g
712U 4 Iron
714CB 5-6
718MB 7-PW 
Vokey SM9 50, 55, 60 
SC Newport 2.5

AH

what do you make of all the differing ball options out there? most tour pros play prov1 but have heard mixed reasons why. What is your opinion the different type of ball offerings out there?

also do you think its important/makes a difference for a high capper like my self to try and play the same ball consistently?

• 2 weeks later...

Hope your agent didn't put the kibosh on this thread :)

Devious question:

Do tour pros use the spectators and TIO's as a bailout?

Seems there would be an obvious advantage in missing where you would get relief or a deflection instead of off into the trees, water, or OB.

Matt

No sir I'm still. I don't have an agent. Haven't had one in years.

To answer your question. If it's a last resort or the even the best option I guess the answer is yes. Obviously it's dangerous and never like to do for these reason but yes it does happen.

Thanks

AH