Inside and outside the ropes

Aimnhit

AH

what do you make of all the differing ball options out there? most tour pros play prov1 but have heard mixed reasons why. What is your opinion the different type of ball offerings out there?

also do you think its important/makes a difference for a high capper like my self to try and play the same ball consistently?

Sir

We do have a lot of option in the pro v range.. probably around 20 different options. Does it make a difference yes.

But for the higher h cap to be honest I don't think so.. now you do want a higher quality ball for around the greens but if your technique isn't quite there yet I'm. It sure it can help you that much..

Thanks

AH

• Replies 494
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

AH -

This might be the lamest question you'll get on here, but I'm going to ask it anyway. You mentioned earlier that you don't mind traveling - I think you alluded to the travel time as a way to relax and clear your mind. I just finished packing my bags for my first business trip of 2017 and I'm one of those morons that has a consulting job that keeps me on the road 85-90% of the year - I happen to agree with you regarding travel. I find that on flights I can use a portion to catch up on work and the rest to catch up on the mindless stuff that I enjoy (movies, books, reading wrx until they yell at me to turn off my phone, etc).

Here's the question (finally) - the part of travel I hate is unpacking and ironing my clothes. On tour, I have to assume that the tour vans handle all of your clothing for you, correct? Do they pick all of your stuff every week and give it to you when you arrive, or do some guys choose to manage it all themselves? What do you do with the stuff after you're done - do they launder it and get it ready for the next week? I'd kill for someone to show up with my stuff for me - at least once or twice a year I forget to pack ties or a belt and I'm left overpaying in an airport shop so I don't show up looking like an even bigger doofus.

I really enjoy this thread - thanks for posting and giving us another look into life on the Tour. Good stuff.

Thanks for the question

It's really the top level guys that have their clothes laid out and really only for the majors..

but in general no. We tend to get enough clothes for the season and choose our own from there. On the washing department most tournaments will have a dry cleaning option and guys will leave them in the locker and will have them back the next day.. I don't think I have ever used it and just do my own washing either in the hotel or at a wash and fold place.. some times you can slip your room cleaner a 20 and the mysteriously come back at the end of the day folded and clean...

Thanks AH

So are you in this week???? Didn't catch a response

Yes sir. Last minute

Great, best of luck.. wish you would id yourself so we can be supportive.. and I am not a sir... I am a she.. :)

So sorry mam.

Currently removing the foot from my mouth.

Best wishes

AH

It's Matthew Hansen's Mother :)

Fairways & Greens this week

Nappies & Pro V1's 4ever Sir?️

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

Nice round today Bro!!

Nicely Played?️

Turn it up ?

Fairways & Greens Pins & Cups

Richard

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

Nice round today Bro!!

Nicely Played️

Turn it up

Richard

So... it's possible to decipher the identity of this great thread starter? Hope you take no offence for me trying to, AH?

Actually, on the biggest forum in my home country a bunch of years back we had a nick STENSON, for a while, which turned out to be authentic. Unfortunately, that forum died.

Nice round today Bro!!

Nicely Played��️

Turn it up ��

Richard

So... it's possible to decipher the identity of this great thread starter? Hope you take no offence for me trying to, AH?

Actually, on the biggest forum in my home country a bunch of years back we had a nick STENSON, for a while, which turned out to be authentic. Unfortunately, that forum died.

People have speculated it is Steven Bowditch, and some of the hints he's given seem to align perfectly with history, but I for one prefer to be 95% sure than 100% sure. I'm satisfied that it is an active tour player and feel we should all allow him that 5% uncertainty in his identity, so he feels free to post freely and without concern for the media coming down on him. Once we know for sure, all we will get is stock answers and commentary.

With your range sessions and hours practicing do you ever hit a wall and think "I've maxed out?"

Distances must be pretty consistent but do you ever have periods where no matter what you're working on you don't see any difference? And if so do you just put the clubs away for a bit?

Sir.

Sorry it's taken a while to answer your question. It's a tough one though.. there is definitely a point where it can be detrimental to over practice especially when your playing good.. on the other side of that is if your really working on something new in your golf swing and you begin to get tired you will start to slip back into old habits which can be great time to practice the new move. When all is tired and the concentration is low you can really see the progress your making if you can fight through it..

If your wanting a break is really hard to know how long. I find it best to start back up once you are really missing it and lose all swing feeling you once had. Start from scratch.

Cheers

AH

I was wondering if you could talk a little about the steps you took to turn professional and start making a living. What tour did you start on? What kinda numbers were you putting up regularly? How did you fund the initial investment?

Whats the best way to get better? Is beating balls for hours and hours a waste of time? Isnt golf all about mastering a particular feeling? Grooving it everyday?

Hypothetical question. Lets say your an unknown +6 handicap. You played a ton of tournaments growing up but you weren't as good back then. You don't come from money. What steps would you take to make a living playing the game you love?

Happy New Year AH,

Like most everyone else, I really appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts/insights, and hopefully wins!! :D

During your practice sessions when your hitting a particular club(s) well, do you continue to "groove" the feeling or do you move on to something else.

For example, if I'm hitting my 7 - PW well, I move on to my lower irons, even though time isn't of the essence. Kind of do the same thing when chipping, if I'm chipping well, I move on to putting.

For this year, I think I'm going to be more regimented. For example, if I set aside an hour for chipping, I'm going to chip for an hour, no matter how well I'm chipping, and resist moving to something else.

Sir very interesting question and one that I've really had problems with over the years.. I call this 'guilt practice' when everything is going just where you want it, your feelings you created are perfect but you feel you need to put in the time because practice makes perfect right?.. well in my experiences over the years I find this to be detrimental to my game, and 'in form' time doesn't last as long because over a period of time some bad shots will start to creep in and you will go through peaks and valleys during the session and begin to add self doubt at some point rather then just feeling 100% completely confident and moving on... Now in saying you still need to go through the bag and have your regimented schedule I just would make that smaller and then add on if need.. go play nine or even 6 holes if you can instead of beating balls. But if must keep hitting balls play some games with yourself but try to stay away from technique as much as you can when your playing great. This will helpfully keep you in form longer.

Happy New Year AH,

Like most everyone else, I really appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts/insights, and hopefully wins!! :D

During your practice sessions when your hitting a particular club(s) well, do you continue to "groove" the feeling or do you move on to something else.

For example, if I'm hitting my 7 - PW well, I move on to my lower irons, even though time isn't of the essence. Kind of do the same thing when chipping, if I'm chipping well, I move on to putting.

For this year, I think I'm going to be more regimented. For example, if I set aside an hour for chipping, I'm going to chip for an hour, no matter how well I'm chipping, and resist moving to something else.

Sir very interesting question and one that I've really had problems with over the years.. I call this 'guilt practice' when everything is going just where you want it, your feelings you created are perfect but you feel you need to put in the time because practice makes perfect right?.. well in my experiences over the years I find this to be detrimental to my game, and 'in form' time doesn't last as long because over a period of time some bad shots will start to creep in and you will go through peaks and valleys during the session and begin to add self doubt at some point rather then just feeling 100% completely confident and moving on... Now in saying you still need to go through the bag and have your regimented schedule I just would make that smaller and then add on if need.. go play nine or even 6 holes if you can instead of beating balls. But if must keep hitting balls play some games with yourself but try to stay away from technique as much as you can when your playing great. This will helpfully keep you in form longer.

Thanks for the advice, AH.

Play well today, I'm rooting for you.

Cheers, J

Aimnhit,

Assuming you make the cut, how quickly after the final round do you calculate your pay check for the week?

Sir

I'm not sure exactly what you mean.

In the scorers tent there is a list with the breakdown of the money. Also after the final putt is made we receive a text with exact amount we made and fed ex points made with the updated ranking..

We receieve the money via direct transfer on Tuesday at midnight.

I'm not sure if this is what you meant sir but I hope it may answer your question.

Enjoy your week

AH

Aimnhit,

Assuming you make the cut, how quickly after the final round do you calculate your pay check for the week?

Sir

In the scorers tent there is a list with the breakdown of the money. Also after the final putt is made we receive a text with exact amount we made and fed ex points made with the updated ranking..

I'm not sure if this is what you meant sir but I hope it may answer your question.

Enjoy your week

AH

AH:

Is the amount the same we see on TV or do they withold and send The Gov't their percentage? What about pension contributions? Can you designate a percentage for that?

Also, what do you do about your caddy? Cut him a check before the Tournament ends or do you wait until you get your transfer at midnight Tuesday and then send him his cut?

If you had to guess - how many Players take care of this stuff by themselves vs having a manager or accountant handle caddy pay and stuff for them?

SYard T388
TaylorMade RBZ 13-15
Miura CB-57 3-PW
Miura 51Y, 52K,56K, 57C, 60K
Old Titleist Blade

Aimnhit,

Sir

Enjoy your week

AH

AH:

Is the amount the same we see on TV or do they withold and send The Gov't their percentage? What about pension contributions? Can you designate a percentage for that?

Also, what do you do about your caddy? Cut him a check before the Tournament ends or do you wait until you get your transfer at midnight Tuesday and then send him his cut?

If you had to guess - how many Players take care of this stuff by themselves vs having a manager or accountant handle caddy pay and stuff for them?

Lumber

It all depends on the state you earn it in. They will withhold a portion of their required rate for that state but not Fedral. We still have to file tax returns in every state we play,

Our pension is done through a separate pot of money so zero of it is taken out of the pay check. Now you can choose to have it taken out and put in there if you choose but I believe the most you can have deferred is around 17k for the year and then it will stop.

Most guys will pay their caddies a lump sum after a stretch of tournaments unless they really need it.

I would say probably 95% of guys have the manager or accountant pay this for them. I like to have full control of all my accounts and don't allow access to anyone but this is not very normal. Most guys are 'athletes' and don't have a clue what's going on in their financial world would be my guess.

Cheers

Glad you made the cut! I think playing with the Am's would be fun, but that event and Pebble are two of the ones I don't watch much of the coverage on tv.

It's difficult to tell where everyone stands until Saturday night. Anyways, glad to see you're in the field for the Farmers and I will be cheering for you.

I spent nearly a year in NZ / Australia when I was younger and always tell people that Aussies are like Americans while Kiwis are more like Canadians. Do you hang out with other Aussies on tour? Do you guys talk about Holdens vs. Fords, rugby, aussie football, cricket, etc.? Do you miss Australia and how often do you make it back? Thanks.

Just stumbled upon this thread.. it's a shame that half the pages read like the salem witch trials but I understand the skepticism, I guess.

Thanks for posting here Aim and I hope this remains 'anonymous' for all the reasons others have brought up.

What's your favorite (or few favorites) regular PGA tour stop factoring in everything (course, hospitality, SWAG, lodging, fans, food, etc.)?

What's your favorite golf course that is not a tour stop?