2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Inside and outside the ropes

Aimnhit

1st, Thank you.

I have been lucky enough to have the opportunity to play and be around some very good players, both top level guys (mostly from some years ago in my youth) and more currently some friends who have been trying to make it one way or another, Asian Tour, Canadian Tour, Qualifiers so I am familiar with the work ethic and thought process that goes into preparing to play well.

1. What in you're opinion is the biggest difference between guys that have immense talent and technical ability vs. the guys that can just score? Justin Thomas said something that I thought was very telling, and something I have noticed myself from playing with friends of mine who have been trying to make it on various tours vs. playing with guys who have made it....

"You see a guy on the range like Bubba, and I think; how can I ever lose to this guy? But then we get out on the course and I wonder how can I ever beat this guy?" -JT

I have experienced this sort of thing myself, I'll have rounds where I'm spraying it everywhere, missing greens, hitting it terrible... but when you add it all up my playing partners are astounded they got beat.. There seems to be a perception of what good golf is, and that it has to be this linear pretty looking thing...

2. What do you do when you're game disappears during a competitive round? It's one thing to just experiment and try different things to get it back during a practice round when it doesn't count, but in competition, when you have to put it in play, and you have to give yourself birdie chances, what do you key or focus on?

This is a problem I tend to have.. I have a much easier time making adjustments during a practice or casual round but have a harder time committing to making an adjustment during a competitive round. Any experiences you can share? Advice? Has their ever been a round as a known pro where you were playing and it's just gone, no feel, no touch, can't make a good swing... If yes, how did you deal with it? Mentally and physically?

And finally, would you say when you're playing a competitive round you focus shot by shot, hole by hole, 3 hole blocks at a time? Do you play little games inside of the round? Or just take each shot as it comes and add them up at the end?

For me I tend to get overwhelmed if I approach the whole round together as a whole, and if I focus shot to shot sometimes I don't "turn it back on" quick enough before I get ready for the next shot, especially if I'm conversing with a playing partner.

Do you focus on smaller games inside of you're round to make sure you don't get lax and give away any strokes? If yes what kinds of mini games do you use? If not how do you keep yourself from getting lax, or losing the sense of importance every single stroke has?

Thank you again, and I would be very interested in you keeping a mental note of something interesting or unusual that happens during you're tournament rounds and share them or offering them up as a teachable moments.

-J

These are really good questions that I would love to get your input AH.

WITB:

Who knows?

• Replies 494
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hub

I think to answer your first question the biggest factor is momentum. It's something that really shouldn't exist in our world, when you think about but it must certainly does. The biggest factor that allows this to continue is by no doubt the short game. It is everything at any level of golf. The ability to keep your round going or take it even farther under par. It's the single most important thing in my eyes. To be able to turn a 76 into a 72 and then go out the next day and shoot 67 to play on the weekend because you have got less stress on you and you don't have to play super aggressive the following day all because your short game was good. It's the biggest thing that takes you to the next level. It allows you to be more aggressive on seeking pins when your not worried short siding yourself, it allows you to go at par 5s and short par 4s because even if you hit it in the water you can still make par therefore brings more eagles into play. Also making a heroic save or up and down will shift the momentum even more.

To your second question. The biggest thing I have learnt over the years is the worse I play the smarter I try and play. Limit the big numbers and just try to get to the house and hope the next day its better. I find most of the time golf is like quick sand when it's going bad. The harder you push the worse it gets. I really try hard to simplify the game and go back to the old fairways and greens. I know you're probably after more but really that's all you can do.

Your third part. I think everyone is different. For me when it's going really well. I look at conditions and set my on par for the course. I look stretches of holes mainly 3 and rate them on what I should be making on that stretch. I Now let's say I'm the back of my mind I think 70 is a good score for me today and all of a sudden I find myself 5 over after 8. Now I might rejust my goals for the next stretch just to finish without killing myself. Must guys are always looking into the future and planning out what to do.. let's say your on the 15th and your in between clubs and your not sure how aggressive to get. Well looking at your final three holes and the pin placements can sometimes have an affect on what club you pull. If there is a few chances left you might place safer if it's a really tough finish and you need a birdie you might flip the coin there.. I'm fine with people looking ahead. The old saying stay in present is fine but I don't think its realistic.. your mind wonders. Except it, embrace it, use it don't fight it, create a short term plan. Now once you done that it's much easier I believe to be completely 100% focus on the task at hand and be completely in the present......

People talk about course management, sure it helps but once you understand it you need to go to the next level throw that away and learn self management. Understanding your strengths and weaknesses both with your clubs and your mind. Everyone is different. Just because one guy hit driver or 4iron off the tee doesn't mean you have too. Once you really understand your game you can use course management, or as I like to call it self management..

I'm not sure if this helps or not. Sorry about my gramma I'm sure there is plenty of mistakes but you will work it out I'm sure.

Cheers AH

AH - thanks for your time. This is a cool read, and loving the responses to questions!

I have one of my own. I play a lot of good-level amateur events, and we get offered yardage books most places. What do the guys on tour record in them over a shot? Is it wind, clubs, etc? I notice a lot of the guys on tour writing stuff but never really understand what it is exactly!

Thanks again, and good luck this season!

Thsnjs for the question. Basically there will be a number of things that my caddy will write down after everyshot.

Front number, PIN number, then the adjusted number for these two as well. I.e. 167 playing 170 uphill to the front.

he will also put down and arrow with his guess of wind direction and strength. Also the club hit and type of shot played.

Once we reach the green he will mark down the exact number it flew and finished at.

That way, let's say today I hit a shot on a certain hole and 3 days later on a different hole we say. Ok this feels just like the shot we hit the other day on that hole and we have all the information needed and I can go back in my head if it was hit correctly and think about that shot and how I exucuted it or how far it really went.

Cheers

AH

AH - thanks for your time. This is a cool read, and loving the responses to questions!

I have one of my own. I play a lot of good-level amateur events, and we get offered yardage books most places. What do the guys on tour record in them over a shot? Is it wind, clubs, etc? I notice a lot of the guys on tour writing stuff but never really understand what it is exactly!

Thanks again, and good luck this season!

Thsnjs for the question. Basically there will be a number of things that my caddy will write down after everyshot.

Front number, PIN number, then the adjusted number for these two as well. I.e. 167 playing 170 uphill to the front.

he will also put down and arrow with his guess of wind direction and strength. Also the club hit and type of shot played.

Once we reach the green he will mark down the exact number it flew and finished at.

That way, let's say today I hit a shot on a certain hole and 3 days later on a different hole we say. Ok this feels just like the shot we hit the other day on that hole and we have all the information needed and I can go back in my head if it was hit correctly and think about that shot and how I exucuted it or how far it really went.

Cheers

AH

Thanks so much AH - makes it much clearer! I'm only playing 2-round events, but I guess keeping the book for next tournament is a must. Maybe I'll have to get a caddy!

Hub

I think to answer your first question the biggest factor is momentum. It's something that really shouldn't exist in our world, when you think about but it must certainly does. The biggest factor that allows this to continue is by no doubt the short game. It is everything at any level of golf. The ability to keep your round going or take it even farther under par. It's the single most important thing in my eyes. To be able to turn a 76 into a 72 and then go out the next day and shoot 67 to play on the weekend because you have got less stress on you and you don't have to play super aggressive the following day all because your short game was good. It's the biggest thing that takes you to the next level. It allows you to be more aggressive on seeking pins when your not worried short siding yourself, it allows you to go at par 5s and short par 4s because even if you hit it in the water you can still make par therefore brings more eagles into play. Also making a heroic save or up and down will shift the momentum even more.

To your second question. The biggest thing I have learnt over the years is the worse I play the smarter I try and play. Limit the big numbers and just try to get to the house and hope the next day its better. I find most of the time golf is like quick sand when it's going bad. The harder you push the worse it gets. I really try hard to simplify the game and go back to the old fairways and greens. I know you're probably after more but really that's all you can do.

Your third part. I think everyone is different. For me when it's going really well. I look at conditions and set my on par for the course. I look stretches of holes mainly 3 and rate them on what I should be making on that stretch. I Now let's say I'm the back of my mind I think 70 is a good score for me today and all of a sudden I find myself 5 over after 8. Now I might rejust my goals for the next stretch just to finish without killing myself. Must guys are always looking into the future and planning out what to do.. let's say your on the 15th and your in between clubs and your not sure how aggressive to get. Well looking at your final three holes and the pin placements can sometimes have an affect on what club you pull. If there is a few chances left you might place safer if it's a really tough finish and you need a birdie you might flip the coin there.. I'm fine with people looking ahead. The old saying stay in present is fine but I don't think its realistic.. your mind wonders. Except it, embrace it, use it don't fight it, create a short term plan. Now once you done that it's much easier I believe to be completely 100% focus on the task at hand and be completely in the present......

People talk about course management, sure it helps but once you understand it you need to go to the next level throw that away and learn self management. Understanding your strengths and weaknesses both with your clubs and your mind. Everyone is different. Just because one guy hit driver or 4iron off the tee doesn't mean you have too. Once you really understand your game you can use course management, or as I like to call it self management..

I'm not sure if this helps or not. Sorry about my gramma I'm sure there is plenty of mistakes but you will work it out I'm sure.

Cheers AH

Of course that helps, and don't sweat the gramma, Good luck and I look forward to following you're comments and thoughts on here.

-J

AH, your response to Hub was quite possibly the most informative posts ive read and want to thank you for taking the time to answer our questions. I love to pick the brain of players who are better than me.

For someone who has a full time job and doesn't get to play as much, what drills/games/etc. would you suggest to keep my game sharp. I'm most curious about short game and mental exercise. Obviously working on the fitness is one thing I have been doing, but after a long hiatus from competitive golf I want and miss competing so I am looking into amateur tournaments to play again.

Thank you from all of your friends at GolfWRX, please keep posting and ignore the people who can't stand not knowing your identity. I, for one, can clearly tell you compete on a high level and your honest remarks are refreshing and greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

BHG

WITB:

Who knows?

Journal

So after along lay off I'm back to playing competitive golf. Last year wasn't the best year I had every had but it also wasn't a complete failure either. The biggest issue I had was getting off the tee. I struggled immensely with both 3 wood and driver but after some extensive testing with basically all the manufacturers I believe I've finally found the fit that will allow me to be somewhat competitive again. One of the major issue I ran into is the time I put into trying to fix the problem, I was hitting anywhere from 200- 500 drivers a day for months just trying to find that match or that swing thought that would I could carry to the course. Big big problem that is. I lost sight in everything else, everything else just dropped way off but to be honest I had no choice. Driving the ball on tour is the so important on these courses. If you're always chipping out and just trying to get around the green you have no chance against the best.

Now that i believe I found something that I can at least play with I don't have to spend near as much time and energy on it, I can really start to sharpen other aspects of my game. Which tbh is a great feeling.

I found I really got me into some bad habits in my swing, the main one being is staying on my right side to long and getting the club stuck underneath me and flippy. Creating a timing issue.So I have really worked on that by hitting lots of fades and feeling like my trail foot begins to lift at an early point on the transition. It seemed to work well last and there where lots of quality shots, although it's not yet in grained its by far better.

So this week I'm going to stick with these sensations and hopefully my confidence keeps building day by day.

On the putter aspect. Last week was below my satisfaction level. Decided to put a different grip on just to give me a somewhat different feel. The feeling that I like to create with my putting tend to last about 2-3 weeks I guess and then I either change grip or the putter itself.

Short game. It's probably the strongest part of my game, it's something that I love to practice and it's nice to be able to get out there and really have again with it because I'm not worrying to much about other aspect of my game.

Good golfing

AH

AH, your response to Hub was quite possibly the most informative posts ive read and want to thank you for taking the time to answer our questions. I love to pick the brain of players who are better than me.

For someone who has a full time job and doesn't get to play as much, what drills/games/etc. would you suggest to keep my game sharp. I'm most curious about short game and mental exercise. Obviously working on the fitness is one thing I have been doing, but after a long hiatus from competitive golf I want and miss competing so I am looking into amateur tournaments to play again.

Thank you from all of your friends at GolfWRX, please keep posting and ignore the people who can't stand not knowing your identity. I, for one, can clearly tell you compete on a high level and your honest remarks are refreshing and greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

BHG

BHG

Thanks for the kind words.

To be honest I'm really not a drills type of guy. I'm more of person who likes to create feels and keep them as long as I can.

For me if I don't have a lot of time or I'm trying to have a break from the game but want to keep 'swinging' the club. I go to the range or a simulator with my sand wedge and my 8iron only. I hit a few chips and pitches mainly to get a little loose then go straight to my 8iron. I personally just find this club to the best for hitting all the shots from low fades to high draws and also very easy to play around with 60% shot which for me is very important for my feel and my golf swing. IMO if you can hit the half shots with ease and repetition it means your club is on a good plane and is very consistent. This to me is really good way to keep sharp with minimal time and effort.

Cheers

AH

Cheers,

BHG

BHG

To be honest I'm really not a drills type of guy. I'm more of person who likes to create feels and keep them as long as I can.

For me if I don't have a lot of time or I'm trying to have a break from the game but want to keep 'swinging' the club. I go to the range or a simulator with my sand wedge and my 8iron only. I hit a few chips and pitches mainly to get a little loose then go straight to my 8iron. I personally just find this club to the best for hitting all the shots from low fades to high draws and also very easy to play around with 60% shot which for me is very important for my feel and my golf swing. IMO if you can hit the half shots with ease and repetition it means your club is on a good plane and is very consistent. This to me is really good way to keep sharp with minimal time and effort.

Cheers

AH

Thank you sir. Good luck this week! As far as your driver goes, you should take you title of Aimnhit literally. Pick a narrow target and make a confident swing at it. Hopefully we will get a picture in the thread of you holding the trophy (with the face blurred out of course :D )

WITB:

Who knows?

So, I think we can assume that Mr. Aimnhit is out there playing the Pro-Am today. If you have a few minutes, I think I can speak for the group and say, it would be awesome to hear a good Pro Am story!

One of the guys on here wrote that he caddied for a friend who played the Pro-Am at a tour stop and accidentally yanked the cup out of the green tending the pin. Ouch.

I guess the other caddies were able to put it back in and get it level, but he didn't spin the stick before lifting. Oops. Tough way to learn.

Hope you're out there having fun! Sincerely, Matt

Pro am stories?? Hmmm

I've seen lots of funny things over time from guys hitting into the tee marker and the ball flying back and hitting their playing partner to throwing the club into someone else bag and breaking the other dudes putter.

But the one that always sticks out. There was this guy who was all dressed up in the pants and white belt, cigar in the mouth, big staff bag.. Really load spoken and thought he was a stick.. A few holes in I worked out that he was trying to beat me and was getting really mad every time I made a putt or he had a bad shot. Not sure who he was betting but it was someone. We get to the tenth and I chip in and then he three putts. Walks over to the his bag, which back then had the grip dividers in the bottom of them. Slams his putter as hard as he can back in. It proceeds to catch the divider bar and shoot straight back out, smacking him in the top of his head.. blood starting gushing out as he hit the ground.. I called the medic and they come got him, he was fine after a few stitches but man was that some funny stuff ?

Another guy was using the wrong yardage book for 5 holes. He and his buddy that was cadding were arguing about why they kept hitting long and short... that was hilarious

AH, this is a great thread, thanks for sharing it.

Whats the general approach from the non superstar guys on the tour towards the superstars? I get that to be a PGA Tour player you have to be real good and I expect anyone with their tour card has got to (hopefully) think that on their week, they can win any tournament. But what do you guys, or the run of the mill mid/lower order tour members think is the difference between them and the Jason Days, McIroys, DJ, Stenson etc? Is there an acceptance that these guys are just a bit better? Do you think they are so much better that its just another planet or do you think its just breaks and opportunity? Is it something like us club players may look up to a guy a couple of handicap strokes better and know that on our day we can take them, or is there an aura around these superstars?

I suppose that brings me to the next question, can hard work alone transform a low end PGA tour player into a worldclass top ten golfer? The low end tour player must also have an insane amount of talent and game, but are their different levels of natural talent on tour that hard work just can’t bridge?

Cheers,

BHG

BHG

Cheers

AH

And here's me thinking that the top players just repeat their swings on autopilot, and it just happens.

Good luck to you! Hope things have been going well.

An interesting question I thought of, if you can answer -- if tomorrow came and nobody was allowed a caddy anymore, who do you think would be most successful and who would struggle the most? (Not carrying clubs, necessarily, but reliance of information from caddy, etc.)

Might be an interesting take from someone inside the ropes.

Hub

Cheers AH

Exceptional response!!

Very Nicely Played Bro??

Fairways Greens & Pins 4ever

Richard

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

Hello AH. I just saw this thread and read the first 7 pages. Sorry you took such a hit from a number of people. I always tend to give people the benefit of the doubt so I believed you from your first post.

In any case, I wish you the best of luck. I didn't start playing until I was 50 so it's been a bit of an uphill climb for me, though I am passionate about the game. I practice my short game incessantly, probably to the detriment of my full swing. :-)

Any general advice for a low mid-HI golfer in his 60s?

Thanks, and thanks for continuing to post.

Best regards,

Sean

Hello AH. I just saw this thread and read the first 7 pages. Sorry you took such a hit from a number of people. I always tend to give people the benefit of the doubt so I believed you from your first post.

In any case, I wish you the best of luck. I didn't start playing until I was 50 so it's been a bit of an uphill climb for me, though I am passionate about the game. I practice my short game incessantly, probably to the detriment of my full swing. :-)

Any general advice for a low mid-HI golfer in his 60s?

Thanks, and thanks for continuing to post.

Best regards,

Sean

He might be ...... uh .... detained.

As much as my best guess is that AH is Bowditch, it's one thing to think he's a poster in a golf forum and be wrong, another to think he's Bowdo and got a DUI and be wrong. Be careful is all I'm saying.

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping G425 Crossover 3, i20 4-PW (DI-95X, PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

As much as my best guess is that AH is Bowditch, it's one thing to think he's a poster in a golf forum and be wrong, another to think he's Bowdo and got a DUI and be wrong. Be careful is all I'm saying.

It is him. When he posted his WITB, the specs and shafts were very unique and no one else fits that. Also, aimnhit is the username he has been using on an Aussie golf forum for many years.

Unless of course it is another player pretending to be him as a disguise

Maybe this should be moved to the 19th hole sub forum. I'm being serious. Some of us are social drinkers and lots of us probably know someone who has a serious alcohol problem. AH was gracious enough to answer our questions. Maybe we as a forum of mostly good individuals could offer some supportive help. It' obvious that AH likes to post (long narratives). Maybe this whole forum process is therapeutic for him.

Regardless .... AH if (Bowdo) .... please seek professional help.