2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

SuperSpeed Golf training system

3 hours ago, gunmetal said:

Yeah I looked at Par4Success and I have to agree - especially with what you're reporting. I can't see how adding between 12,000 and 18,000 swings per year wouldn't induce swing fatigue (if not injury). I just got my set and see myself using Level 1 to hopefully get a nice boost and then Level 2 to maintain - all with the blue stick. I have no interest in adding all those swings to my body.

So - to be clear - you are doing the Blue Stick only route, correct?

I am starting a to mix in some Red stick and some CB stick swings as well.  But only RH - just adding to supplement the work.

Titleist TSR2 9* w/ Tensei Pro Orange CK 60TX

Titleist TSR2+ 14.5* w/ Graphite Design AD-DI 7S

Titleist TSR3 18* w/ Graphite Design AD-IZ 8S

Titleist u505 3i 20* w/ Graphite Design AD-IZ 9S

Srixon ZX4 MkII w/ Project X LZ 6.0 5-PW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50@49* - Mizuno T22 54* - Taylormade High Toe 58*

LAB Golf Mezz Max Broom 79.5* lie, 45" or one of my Armlocks

Ball:  Srixon Z-Star XV or Maxfli Tour X

On 2/9/2021 at 11:50 AM, MysteryV said:

Thanks.  I'm assuming it reads 2 - 3 mph faster?  It feels like Trackman reads CHS the slowest of any LM.

Also, are we talking CHS, ball speed, or both here?

Again, thank you!

Hey Mystery V, we have noticed it for both Club and Ball Speed. Thanks! 

On 2/9/2021 at 2:06 PM, stingerfade said:

Hi SSG 

been using the speed monitor for a month and seems inconsistent so my PRGR is coming this week!  

im still not sure how to set it up. The radar is at impact but facing me at 45 degrees. You mention here to turn the prgr device but is it in front of you or behind you facing “down the range?” I’m in a basement but have plenty of room. 

thanks!!

Hey StingerFace, no problem. Sorry if my explanation didn't make sense. When you get the PRGR make sure you read over the manual that comes with it, it has a description and a few pictures as well. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/4/2021 at 8:57 AM, QMany said:

I seem to remember an Excel file floating around here for logging SuperSpeed progress, but I can't seem to find it now. It had some color coding, different shades, for progress. Any help? THANKS!

Pretty sure this is what you're looking for.

Please just delete my data.

Hope this helps.

Copy of SuperSpeed Golf Tracker 1-22-21.xlsx

Edited by jj9000
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/1/2021 at 5:11 PM, Qwiklap said:

I am stuck as well.  I peeked out at like 120ish (123 max) on the blue stick a few months ago, now I am in the mid-teens.  I do the blue stick only method advocated by Par4Success.  I usually do 5 reps on knees (both directions), 5 regular (both directions), and 5 step (both directions), then 3 all out RH only.  Then I grab my driver and do 5-10 dry swings to work on really good tempo with lots of speed. 

This is from the Par4Success article:

Speed Stick Protocol Steps:

1. Kneeling 5 swings right
  2. Kneeling 5 swings left
  3. 3 minutes rest
  4. Standing 5 swings right
  5. Standing 5 swings left
  6. 3 minutes rest
  7. Happy Gilmore 5 swings right
  8. Happy Gilmore 5 swings left

I do not do the Happy Gilmore swings as I train indoors, and do the step-drill instead.  Does anyone think that Happy Gilmores are crucial?

Any advice for breaking plateaus and getting some gains back? 

Just curious how much distance and speed have you gained? I’m looking to start tomorrow. Where can I find the protocol and do I complete it 7 days a week?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

@SuperSpeed Golf

Just wondering, do you have any statistics or data you can share that you might have of pro's using these sticks?

It would be nice to see what some pro's or even long drive pro's have recorded during training sessions on the SSR, and or PRGR and also what they tend to swing on Trackman.

I think people can draw some conclusions if that data were available, meaning, they could see maybe if they have the physical ability of a pro to get X speed with Y speedstick but also see that they can't swing the same speed with an actual club in hand vs the pro.  It could inspire people to seek out instruction on how to make their swing more efficient and reliable so that they might realize more of that raw potential on the course.

I tried to start a data thread where people could share those numbers but so far no dice with that taking off.  Hoping maybe you can provide a good chunk of that instead.

• Like 1

Swing hard in case you hit it!

19 hours ago, Trap Junior said:

I made a small gain last week but took 8 days off.  Now my speeds are slow as hell again.

I hit maybe 60 balls beforehand like normal today.

When should you do these protocols?  After a short warm up prior to hitting balls or after a regularl practice session?

I think its best to do the protocols after a dynamic warmup and a few practice swings, and not after a regular practice session.  You want to be loose enough to not get hurt, but as fresh as possible to make the most max power swings you can.  These only work when you make max power swings and tax your nervous system.

• Like 2

Current WITB:

Titleist TSR3 9.5 - Ventus Velocore Black 6X / Tensei 1K Black 6TX

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 3+ - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 7X

Taylor Made UDI 2 - Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5

Taylor Made P790 3 and 4 - KBS C-Taper 120S

Taylor Made P760 5-PW - KBS C-Taper 120S

Callaway MD5 Jaws 52.12 W and 58.12 X - DG 115 Wedge

Toulon Las Vegas 2022 - Stroke Lab 34"

I have done overspeed training of different sorts for more than 10 years now.  I did some speed chain work at one point and have used lots of different light and heavy weight clubs.  For me speed training does help a little bit to increase my clubhead speed and has probably helped me maintain what I have as I have gotten older.  My opinion at this point is that it really does not matter much how I do the training whether it is a really dedicated program or simply swinging my driver as hard as I can a few times which is something that Ben Hogan recommended.  As I remember it Hogan said that swinging the driver really hard at the end of practice without paying attention to where the ball went would make his normal swing faster producing greater distance.

One thing that I have noticed for sure as that I will hit my driver farther while playing if I take 2 or 3 really hard swings right before hitting the tee shot.  This something that I figured out some time ago and I have noticed that Bryson sometimes seems to do the same thing when he really wants to hit it far.  LOL great minds and all that I suppose...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Nels55 said:

I have done overspeed training of different sorts for more than 10 years now.  I did some speed chain work at one point and have used lots of different light and heavy weight clubs.  For me speed training does help a little bit to increase my clubhead speed and has probably helped me maintain what I have as I have gotten older.  My opinion at this point is that it really does not matter much how I do the training whether it is a really dedicated program or simply swinging my driver as hard as I can a few times which is something that Ben Hogan recommended.  As I remember it Hogan said that swinging the driver really hard at the end of practice without paying attention to where the ball went would make his normal swing faster producing greater distance.

One thing that I have noticed for sure as that I will hit my driver farther while playing if I take 2 or 3 really hard swings right before hitting the tee shot.  This something that I figured out some time ago and I have noticed that Bryson sometimes seems to do the same thing when he really wants to hit it far.  LOL great minds and all that I suppose...

While I definitely think there are things you can to training and technique wise to improve your SS, I also think a big part of the process is just getting into the mindset to swing harder  (or faster if that word works better for you), to not accept the limits of a slow, smooth takeaway and a graceful finishing pose.  Bryson talks a lot about pushing through the limits and resetting his CNS.  

I never take practice swings, but I’ll try to remember the two or three hard swings prior to the real one when the weather lets me get outside again.

• Like 2

Titleist TSR3, w/Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue with Xlink Tech 65
Titleist 915Fd, w/Aldila Rogue Black 80-2.8-S
19* TSR3 Hybrid, w/Fujikura Atmos HB Tour Spec Blue 85

24* TSR3 Hybrid, w/Fujikura Atmos HB Tour Spec Blue 85
Mizuno MP-18 MMC 6-P, w/UST Recoil 95 F4
Callaway 52* MD5 JAWS S Grind
Callaway 58* PM Grind 19
T.P. Mills Professional Series Klassic/Odyssey O Works Tank #7

8 hours ago, Nels55 said:

I'm going to work on about 7 swings at the end of ever range session just swinging driver as fast as possible. I had an instructor (best one I ever worked with) tell me to do that many years ago (2004ish). 

I have likely put my speed sticks away until October. I just don't want to risk swing regression during tournament season. 

I decided to add some power exercises back into my training too. Will see if that makes a difference absent any speed training. That came from par4success talking about some power metrics showing the capability to add some speed too. Hang cleans, db snatches, ball slams, weighted jumps, etc. General lifts forcing on fast powerful push/pull instead of time under tension methods.

Edited by getitdaily
  • Like 1

For anyone wanting to know the difference between the Swing Speed Radar (red version) vs. PRGR, I’ve done a bit of testing - results & conclusions so far:

Key Takeaways - SuperSpeed Clubs

- SSR tends tends to read higher (2-3mph on average with green sticks)

- Readings for the sticks on both devices move directionally with one another - i.e. increase on SSR = increase on PRGR

Key Takeaways - Driver

- PRGR tends to provide significantly more consistent readings: 15/20 swings today within 2mph of each other. SSR readings all over the shop!

- SSR: appears to be highly sensitive to flipping the face at / near impact, which can give super-high readings (I was anywhere between 110-128mph yesterday). PRGR readings within a 4mph range.

- SSR sometimes faster and sometimes slower vs. PRGR. Illustrative data points from today (SSR speed / followed by PRGR Speed):

119 / 114

118 / 115

115 / 116

115 / 115

113 / 117

112 / 115

- The more stable the face feels at impact the slower it tends to read on SSR. These readings tended to be my highest on PRGR

• Like 2

1 hour ago, christof87 said:

For anyone wanting to know the difference between the Swing Speed Radar (red version) vs. PRGR, I’ve done a bit of testing - results & conclusions so far:

Key Takeaways - SuperSpeed Clubs

- SSR tends tends to read higher (2-3mph on average with green sticks)

- Readings for the sticks on both devices move directionally with one another - i.e. increase on SSR = increase on PRGR

Key Takeaways - Driver

- PRGR tends to provide significantly more consistent readings: 15/20 swings today within 2mph of each other. SSR readings all over the shop!

- SSR: appears to be highly sensitive to flipping the face at / near impact, which can give super-high readings (I was anywhere between 110-128mph yesterday). PRGR readings within a 4mph range.

- SSR sometimes faster and sometimes slower vs. PRGR. Illustrative data points from today (SSR speed / followed by PRGR Speed):

119 / 114

118 / 115

115 / 116

115 / 115

113 / 117

112 / 115

- The more stable the face feels at impact the slower it tends to read on SSR. These readings tended to be my highest on PRGR

Good post.  Any info on iron speeds with PRGR v SSR?  Also how do the PRGR readings compare to Trackman for you?

Edited by Trap Junior

On 8/5/2020 at 9:41 AM, bluedot said:

As to injuries:

Figuring a full SSG protocol as somewhere around 100 swings, all done at max, can anybody think of ANY training protocol in ANY other workout program than involves that many reps? I don't know of one; not in the weight room, not on the track, not anywhere.

As to gaining speed:

The ability to gain speed depends on the existence of a gap between how fast you are currently swinging and how fast your body is currently capable of swinging. In fact, for many golfers who don't see progress from SSG, the gap is actually that they are already swinging as fast (or even faster) as their body will allow, given their current flexibility and especially mobility in their shoulders, back, and hips. If that is the case, and you go heavily into the SSG protocols, you are a ticking time bomb.

As to three sticks:

There is not a shred of evidence that three sticks are necessary, or even helpful for speed training. The research from golf and other sports like baseball and cricket indicate that speed gains come from swinging an implement at or near the weight of the gamer FAST for relatively small number of reps. A heavier object creates an illusion that you then swing faster with the gamer, but the research shows that it's actually somewhat slower. SSG is selling sticks, and they make more money when they sell more sticks; they GIVE AWAY their protocols, which are based on you having already bought three sticks from them. I think psychologists might call this an "availability bias" of sorts; I have three sticks, so using three sticks must be the right way to train. It isn't.

I literally just made a golfwrx account to respond to you. You literally don’t know anything. How many gym programs have you done that isn’t shake weight related? Keep making excuses.

On 3/21/2021 at 6:19 PM, Trap Junior said:

Good post.  Any info on iron speeds with PRGR v SSR?  Also how do the PRGR readings compare to Trackman for you?

Cheers! I’ve not got access to a Trackman at the moment, but will do some testing between both radars on iron speeds.

Previously, I’ve found SSR to be pretty inconsistent with iron speeds though. I’d anticipate similar findings vs. driver, but we’ll see 👍

14 hours ago, Spritely said:

I literally just made a golfwrx account to respond to you. You literally don’t know anything. How many gym programs have you done that isn’t shake weight related? Keep making excuses.

Well, I'm literally glad that you literally made an account just to literally flame me.  I literally am...

FWIW, I'm a 68 yr. old retired HS coach who has spent a LOT of my life in weight rooms.  (And I had to look up "shake weights", literally.)  I started working with a TPI-type golf-specific training facility about a year and half ago at the urging of the teaching pro I was working with because of hip mobility issues, and I do the workouts they've designed for me religiously.  The facility is Par4Success in Cary, NC, owned and operated by Chris Finn; you can literally look them up and you'll find that they are listed as one of the best facilities of that type in the country.

As it happens, I had been doing the SSG work for a year or so BEFORE I went to them, with no real gains, and we had long conversations about the efficacy of the SSG protocols, and why it hadn't done a thing for me.  Also, as it happens, they have been conducting research for several years on this very subject, and Chris Finn has written a paper that is a meta review of research from not only golf, but other "swing speed" sports like baseball and cricket, about what really does work and what doesn't. 

To be clear, they believe in speed training, and so do I.  My workouts conclude with some speed work with the blue stick only, and my pre-round warmup includes a little bit of speed work as well to "wake up".  A lot of what TPI facilities and trainers do is about helping golfers gain (or retain, if you're an old guy) swing speed.  But there is a BIG gap between 20 or so swings and an SSG workout, and there is not one shred of research-based evidence that three sticks of different weights are either necessary, or even helpful. 

Literally...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, bluedot said:

Well, I'm literally glad that you literally made an account just to literally flame me.  I literally am...

FWIW, I'm a 68 yr. old retired HS coach who has spent a LOT of my life in weight rooms.  (And I had to look up "shake weights", literally.)  I started working with a TPI-type golf-specific training facility about a year and half ago at the urging of the teaching pro I was working with because of hip mobility issues, and I do the workouts they've designed for me religiously.  The facility is Par4Success in Cary, NC, owned and operated by Chris Finn; you can literally look them up and you'll find that they are listed as one of the best facilities of that type in the country.

As it happens, I had been doing the SSG work for a year or so BEFORE I went to them, with no real gains, and we had long conversations about the efficacy of the SSG protocols, and why it hadn't done a thing for me.  Also, as it happens, they have been conducting research for several years on this very subject, and Chris Finn has written a paper that is a meta review of research from not only golf, but other "swing speed" sports like baseball and cricket, about what really does work and what doesn't. 

To be clear, they believe in speed training, and so do I.  My workouts conclude with some speed work with the blue stick only, and my pre-round warmup includes a little bit of speed work as well to "wake up".  A lot of what TPI facilities and trainers do is about helping golfers gain (or retain, if you're an old guy) swing speed.  But there is a BIG gap between 20 or so swings and an SSG workout, and there is not one shred of research-based evidence that three sticks of different weights are either necessary, or even helpful. 

Literally...

As to your original post "Figuring a full SSG protocol as somewhere around 100 swings, all done at max, can anybody think of ANY training protocol in ANY other workout program than involves that many reps? I don't know of one; not in the weight room, not on the track, not anywhere.", I'm not quite sure what you mean.  What do you define as a rep?  I've been doing Crossfit for 12 years, and we have many workouts that involve rep schemes of 100 or more, into the 100s.  If you practice tennis and you are taking 100 swings, is that not over a 100 reps?  Yes, they may not be done at max, but is that your point?  

On your shred of evidence, I can just say having followed the protocols for 3 months, I just took my swing to the course for the first time this weekend, and I can definitely say that I have gained a ton of distance and speed.  Could I have done it with your workout routine and 1 stick?  Possibly.  I'd certainly love to see Chris Finn's paper to the extent he proves that 1 stick is superior to 3.  

in the meantime, the 3 sticks work, and pros seem to also be using that set of protocols.  i would hazard a guess that if 1 stick was superior, more people would be doing it (if only to save time).  and btw, i'm not quite sure where you are getting the 100 swings?  I'm on progression 2, and I'm at roughly 60 swings.  before that when i started i was at 39 swings.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Elee913 said:

As to your original post "Figuring a full SSG protocol as somewhere around 100 swings, all done at max, can anybody think of ANY training protocol in ANY other workout program than involves that many reps? I don't know of one; not in the weight room, not on the track, not anywhere.", I'm not quite sure what you mean.  What do you define as a rep?  I've been doing Crossfit for 12 years, and we have many workouts that involve rep schemes of 100 or more, into the 100s.  If you practice tennis and you are taking 100 swings, is that not over a 100 reps?  Yes, they may not be done at max, but is that your point?  

On your shred of evidence, I can just say having followed the protocols for 3 months, I just took my swing to the course for the first time this weekend, and I can definitely say that I have gained a ton of distance and speed.  Could I have done it with your workout routine and 1 stick?  Possibly.  I'd certainly love to see Chris Finn's paper to the extent he proves that 1 stick is superior to 3.  

in the meantime, the 3 sticks work, and pros seem to also be using that set of protocols.  i would hazard a guess that if 1 stick was superior, more people would be doing it (if only to save time).  and btw, i'm not quite sure where you are getting the 100 swings?  I'm on progression 2, and I'm at roughly 60 swings.  before that when i started i was at 39 swings.

Speed training works; there is NO question about that, and I've never said otherwise.  And as I've said, I not only believe that it works, but I DO speed training.  I had promised myself I wouldn't post anymore on this thread until a few posts back when I got flamed out of nowhere.

If you read back thru the thread, there are a ton of guys who say SSG has worked for them, and a ton of guys who say it hasn't, and the reason it that many golfers are limited in terms of how fast they can swing by physical limitations, most often mobility issues.  And a LOT of people get the gains during the protocols, but then don't see those gains transfer to the course because of technique issues.  The bottom line of all of that is that there is no "one size fits all" approach to physical training in general, or golf specifically, or even to speed training. 

And I think it is worth noting that the fact that an individual who has gained speed on the golf course while using the SSG protocols hasn't necessarily gained that speed in the most efficient or safest way.  I'm NOT saying that they've gained speed "in spite of" using three sticks and a ton of reps; that's not accurate at all, and I've never said that.  But the research I've seen shows that one stick and fewer reps accomplish the same gains more more quickly and safely, IF there are gains to be had.  It is not without significance that SSG now has a single stick with separate protocols, btw.

As to Chris Finn's paper, I'll try to find the link and post it one more time; I've posted it on this thread at least twice, maybe more.  But he isn't the only one doing that research; a lot of the TPI-type guys have done similar stuff, with essentially the same conclusions.  FWIW, if you go to the Par4Success YouTube channel, I think Chris has some videos on the subject as well; they aren't hard to find.

One other note: IMO there ARE gains to be had from using a heavier stick and doing a relatively high number of reps with that stick, just like any other weight training.  Strength, flexibility, mobility, stamina; lots of stuff that helps on a golf course could get better, depending on the individual.  But I just think it's pretty clear from the research, golf AND other sports, that swing speed isn't one of those things.

This thread is mostly for guys who like the SSG protocols, and I understand that; I don't want to make anybody mad or defensive, and people DO get that way.  I'll stay away from the thread, and just keep doing what I do, which is using the blue stick nearly every day, with the red and the green in the hall closet.  That approach, combined with a bunch of other stuff in my workouts, has worked, where the SSG protocols just didn't, in spite of my best efforts.

• Like 1

This might have been answered already, but in theory we are supposed to do swing speed training 3x a week right? Does anyone know if we can do more? for reference I probably play 4-5x a week, so i could in theory train every 5x a week. I am also lifting weights again after a 13 month hiatus due to covid. 

For reference my i am a ~0 cap, swing speed right at 100 with carry right at 240. I did my first session (after a brutal workout) and swing speed before was around 98, and after was around 100. These were real swings on the range, needing to hit a target. so I wasnt just smashing. 

• Like 1

On 3/22/2021 at 5:51 PM, Spritely said:

Awesome first post. I especially like the detailed explanation with the logic behind it. 

I don't know if Bluedot's hypothesis is correct or not. He does cite a reputable source who I believe is TPS and Speed Stick certified.

I'm assuming this has been answered but theres too many pages to read through.

Did you guys maintain your gains after the first 6 week protocol? Or do you have to continuously do the training? I'm currently 3 weeks in and have seen a 5mph improvement in CHS measured by Trackman. Its awesome to see the progression and I'm hoping the gains will stay after the program is done.

• Like 1

Gains should largely keep coming as long as you do the protocols.  If you want to take some time off but maintain the gains, I understand you should do protocol one once per week (based on this thread and others, it doesn't need to be so formalized).  

Please be careful with the non-dominant swings that are max out; the protocols I think require too much volume and open the door to injury.  And be sure to get really warmed up before doing the protocols.

Current WITB:

Titleist TSR3 9.5 - Ventus Velocore Black 6X / Tensei 1K Black 6TX

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 3+ - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 7X

Taylor Made UDI 2 - Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5

Taylor Made P790 3 and 4 - KBS C-Taper 120S

Taylor Made P760 5-PW - KBS C-Taper 120S

Callaway MD5 Jaws 52.12 W and 58.12 X - DG 115 Wedge

Toulon Las Vegas 2022 - Stroke Lab 34"

I just turned 40 and had these for 3 years.   As part of my midlife crisis I wanted to give these a go.  I am curious has anyone with an already high SS tried these and what the results were ?    My average SS is still upper 120's and can creep into the low 130's  when I go all out and that is on trackman.    When I was younger I competed in long drive... that was early 2000's and all i used back then was the blue radar.   Back then I did nothing for swing speed except play baseball and hit a ton of balls all out on the range.   

Been doing this religiously for about 4 months.  Started last June and did it religiously for a month or two then had a break for a month or two.

I find it frustrating.  I warm up and test my max effort driver speed.  I then do my protocol 3 mixed in with advaced protocols and hit balls at max speed after.  I only get a 3mph increase after.

My normal playing speed remains the same. About 106-110 on trackman with my all out at 111-114.

Ok your speed comes up IMMEDIATELY after a session when you hit balls but take a break for 15 mins or come out the next day and all the progress is lost and back to normal baseline speed.

And yes I use radar and yes I do all out effort.  My green stick speed is 119-124 and wont go any higher. 

The other thing is if you want to work on your iron game and swing technique your speed will regress.  But hitting max speed non stop destroys your swing eventually.

Edited by Trap Junior
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Trap Junior said:

Been doing this religiously for about 4 months.  Started last June and did it religiously for a month or two then had a break for a month or two.

I find it frustrating.  I warm up and test my max effort driver speed.  I then do my protocol 3 mixed in with advaced protocols and hit balls at max speed after.  I only get a 3mph increase after.

My normal playing speed remains the same. About 106-110 on trackman with my all out at 111-114.

Ok your speed comes up IMMEDIATELY after a session when you hit balls but take a break for 15 mins or come out the next day and all the progress is lost and back to normal baseline speed.

And yes I use radar and yes I do all out effort.  My green stick speed is 119-124 and wont go any higher. 

The other thing is if you want to work on your iron game and swing technique your speed will regress.  But hitting max speed non stop destroys your swing eventually.

You seem to be a prime candidate for getting stronger.  Read all the stuff from par4success. If you're not already, start doing some golf specific strength and power training.