SuperSpeed Golf training system

I started the superspeed protocols last year in November once golf season ended, and found that I had significant gains in line with what others had experienced.  Large initial increases followed by a plateau, then another bump.  I followed the schedule religiously from November up until about late June when i found that I had less time primarily because I was actually playing golf.  I haven't really followed the protocols since then, although i do intend to restart them in a few weeks once golf season is over.

The question I have for others is will I have lost speed since I haven't been using the speedsticks?  Are you supposed to be following the protocols throughout the entire season?  I would assume the answer is yes (because I see the tour pros are using it through their season).  But I'll be curious to see how long it will take to regain it.  I know I was maxing out the green stick at 120 in April, and the last time I used the stick in September I was down to 110 max.  

Any suggestions on how to restart?  Do I go from scratch?  And should I somehow figure out a way to keep up the protocols through the entire year?

1 hour ago, Elee913 said:

I started the superspeed protocols last year in November once golf season ended, and found that I had significant gains in line with what others had experienced.  Large initial increases followed by a plateau, then another bump.  I followed the schedule religiously from November up until about late June when i found that I had less time primarily because I was actually playing golf.  I haven't really followed the protocols since then, although i do intend to restart them in a few weeks once golf season is over.

The question I have for others is will I have lost speed since I haven't been using the speedsticks?  Are you supposed to be following the protocols throughout the entire season?  I would assume the answer is yes (because I see the tour pros are using it through their season).  But I'll be curious to see how long it will take to regain it.  I know I was maxing out the green stick at 120 in April, and the last time I used the stick in September I was down to 110 max.  

Any suggestions on how to restart?  Do I go from scratch?  And should I somehow figure out a way to keep up the protocols through the entire year?

as I alluded to, I'm not using the sticks and Im not following any 'protocols'. Im using my common sense with trial and error and an instinctive approach. 

I wouldnt overthink it. Theres no magic system for increasing speed, theres no magic system for running 100m, olympic lifting or any other physical endeavour.. Similarities in how the top men and women train, certainly, but even training partners dont do the same routine.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, Elee913 said:

Maybe try an send an email to @SuperSpeed Golf and ask the question

On 10/21/2021 at 11:14 PM, LJ1978 said:

ok its the end of protocol 2, green spreadsheet is protocol 1 and blue spreadsheet is protocol 2, also included is a trendline for all results.

overall im very happy and cant wait to start protocol 3. i have a driver fitting tomorrow at coolclubs looking forward to a new driver shaft.

Now as from my 1st post above, 3 times per week (M,W,F) use blue ssr and put a tee in the ground a grip length from radar at 45 degree angle. i have learnt alot about my swing from this journey. ie vertical force front leg, softer grip, body rotation and release point( i tended to drag the handle, not so much now). when i goto the range i use a sc100 and prior to SSG my absolute max wax 106mph. Now when i goto the range if i dont really try i can hit that number. i have hit a max of 117 at the range but i tend to sit around 110 - 112. like i said i am happy.

all my results in the spreadsheet are only from the fastest swing from each stick. im happy to answer any questions. keep at it people this is good stuff

protocol 1.png

protocol 2.png

protocol trendline.png

Did you gain distance with your irons too?

Thanks Amazon. My new swing speed radar arrived today. Only missed out recording results on 5 sessions. Played golf Saturday for the 1st time in about 6 months. My drives were so much longer than before, leaving shorter shots into the greens. Not all exactly straight but longer. Like I’ve said before I’m really happy with SSG and can’t wait for my new shaft to arrive for my driver. 

Any QC issues with the SuperSpeed sticks? 

I have the option to buy 3 of them locally - although I could make a bomb proof version myself for free (old shaft + head weight, dipped in epoxy) 

Ping G430 Max 10.5* w/ GD Tour AD TP
TaylorMade Stealth 2+ 18* w/ GD Tour AD DI

Srixon ZX MkII 19* & 24* w/x100
Titleist T100s w/ PX 6.5

Vokey SM9 48-52-56-61 w/ PX 6.5

Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Mil Spec  

4 hours ago, RCGA said:

I have the option to buy 3 of them locally - although I could make a bomb proof version myself for free (old shaft + head weight, dipped in epoxy) 

I bought mind used. No issues. Just buy them and start.  Get a radar as well 

6 hours ago, RCGA said:

I rather spend the money, at least on the copycats on Amazon for half price. Any homemade weighted club swing at 100+ mph scares me.

I am reaching a plateau after 5 weeks. Unable to improve club head speed in the last 3 weeks. On course speed is even worst. I probably have gained 5 mph overall with most drives at 235 to 250. I don't hit the center of the driver club face like before, ball mark on the driver face is all over the place. May be I am trying too hard with the radar unit in front of the ball. I played with the radar unit in the last round and speed was around 95 to 98 mph. I had two drives at 250. Most are around 235 to 245.

superspeed nov 3 2021.jpg

Edited by khalespace

On 11/3/2021 at 9:01 PM, khalespace said:

I am reaching a plateau after 5 weeks. Unable to improve club head speed in the last 3 weeks. On course speed is even worst. I probably have gained 5 mph overall with most drives at 235 to 250. I don't hit the center of the driver club face like before, ball mark on the driver face is all over the place. May be I am trying too hard with the radar unit in front of the ball. I played with the radar unit in the last round and speed was around 95 to 98 mph. I had two drives at 250. Most are around 235 to 245.

superspeed nov 3 2021.jpg

I can see a lot of similarities with going to the gym for the first time. In the beginning, absolutely anything will work, as time goes on you have to be a lot smarter to keep making progress.

Early days for me speed training, not following a program and dont have the sticks, all good so far but when I stall I'll be trying more one handed, left handed, two clubs at once etc etc. 

dont just follow a program blindly, be your own scientist. 

On 11/6/2021 at 3:44 AM, puresurfr said:

I started with Superspeed, after stalling out i went to Rypstick and now im with StackSystem....I think using new aids and different exercises keeps it interesting and more engaging.  

As a Wrxr equipment junkie, my obsession has carried over to training aids.......  : P

I was wondering how many weeks you did the superspeed protocols for, Before changing?

I had the superspeed sticks a couple years ago, I did 2 separate sessions of 10-12 weeks.  The Rypstick, I did for 3 weeks and the Stack System im on Session 2.

* I have been doing the stack system incorrectly, thankfully im only a couple sessions in.....I have been swinging max when the protocol calls for full swings

• Like 1

High SS player chiming in 

I built my own based off the Stack System length (42") and the SuperSpeed weight (290g). My driver SS (45.5") maxes out around 122mph. After two sessions, I'm able to rip the 42" club 125mph (on a PRGR) which I guess translates to a ~130mph driver SS, but I think I'm tapped out for speed unless I do a major swing change. I mean, even at 125mph my recoil is like a long drive competitor, and there's no way I could swing at that effort on the course. 

Anyone with a high SS prior to starting speed training have much success beyond the initial gains? I suspect much of my initial jump was just resetting my internal governor. I'm just not really sure I can physically swing faster.  

Titleist T100s w/ PX 6.5

On 11/5/2021 at 9:44 AM, puresurfr said:

I started with Superspeed, after stalling out i went to Rypstick and now im with StackSystem....I think using new aids and different exercises keeps it interesting and more engaging.  

As a Wrxr equipment junkie, my obsession has carried over to training aids.......  : P

After stalling I have made some small improvements again. After 6 weeks, I am ready to move to level 2. 

I want to stay with SuperSpeed for 4 to 6 months to see if I will get close to my goal of 105 mph or not. Even if I ended up to 102 to 103 mph, I would be very happy. I think my baseline was around 92 to 94 mph. Currently on the course I am swing at around 96 to 98 mph and it seems like I am getting used to swinging faster. 

I am intrigued by the StackSystem and the adaptive app but I am already spending too much money so I will stay with SuperSpeed for now.

Level1Final.png

I think the best test of whether or not u are gaining is to measure your ball speed.  It certainly would not be useful if u were getting 110mph but your ball speed did not improve.  Although i love the metrics employed by the various systems, at the endow the day the only things that matter to me are distance and accuracy.....I practice at a range where my best shots hit the base of the net and super solid shots take one bounce and hit the middle of the net.  My dream is to be able to hit it high on the net on the fly.  Perhaps even fly the net on a warm day downwind.

16 hours ago, khalespace said:

After stalling I have made some small improvements again. After 6 weeks, I am ready to move to level 2. 

I want to stay with SuperSpeed for 4 to 6 months to see if I will get close to my goal of 105 mph or not. Even if I ended up to 102 to 103 mph, I would be very happy. I think my baseline was around 92 to 94 mph. Currently on the course I am swing at around 96 to 98 mph and it seems like I am getting used to swinging faster. 

I am intrigued by the StackSystem and the adaptive app but I am already spending too much money so I will stay with SuperSpeed for now.

Level1Final.png

I'm not saying this is you, but there is a danger of getting sucked into very specific programs and protocols that maybe a distraction from actually doing the work, you know.

What I'm saying is that for every golfer who says they added 10mph with SuperSpeed, they'll be another who gained the same by putting a grip on a lump of angle iron or a badminton racket and just focused on "swinging the hell out of it" a couple of nights a week.

I wish sports science wasn't like that, but you tend to find a "scientist" comes up with a protocol, tests it, and against a control group they get a positive or negative result. There's almost never a comprehensive ranking of more than one or two different protocols within such testing.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hammersia said:

I'm not saying this is you, but there is a danger of getting sucked into very specific programs and protocols that maybe a distraction from actually doing the work, you know.

What I'm saying is that for every golfer who says they added 10mph with SuperSpeed, they'll be another who gained the same by putting a grip on a lump of angle iron or a badminton racket and just focused on "swinging the hell out of it" a couple of nights a week.

I wish sports science wasn't like that, but you tend to find a "scientist" comes up with a protocol, tests it, and against a control group they get a positive or negative result. There's almost never a comprehensive ranking of more than one or two different protocols within such testing.

along these lines and not wishing to poo poo the ss system at all.. but topped out at 116 today from a base of under 100, 3 weeks of swishing a driver in various styles, no speed sticks, no program, just using trial and error and my intuition.

as i said before, dont be afraid to go off piste. Theres nothing magical about any of these systems, Ive watched a lot of live golf and stood on a lot of practise grounds and ive yet to see a pro use one..

23 hours ago, milesgiles said:

along these lines and not wishing to poo poo the ss system at all.. but topped out at 116 today from a base of under 100, 3 weeks of swishing a driver in various styles, no speed sticks, no program, just using trial and error and my intuition.

as i said before, dont be afraid to go off piste. Theres nothing magical about any of these systems, Ive watched a lot of live golf and stood on a lot of practise grounds and ive yet to see a pro use one..

Are u seeing a corresponding improvement of 27MPH of ball speed ????  Or are u just swinging faster ???

8 hours ago, puresurfr said:

Are u seeing a corresponding improvement of 27MPH of ball speed ????  Or are u just swinging faster ???

not even used a ball yet. I'm getting used to the feeling of moving quicker, then hoping to take 110 or so out on the course hitting it well enough to matter. I think my fastest 'swish' (no ball) will need to be 125 plus to do that

1 minute ago, milesgiles said:

not even used a ball yet. I'm getting used to the feeling of moving quicker, then hoping to take 110 or so out on the course hitting it well enough to matter. I think my fastest 'swish' (no ball) will need to be 125 plus to do that

Sounds good.....my swish and my hitting the ball are very close.....Only 3-4 mph difference.....i use my "swish" swing but the ball just happens to get in the way

8 hours ago, puresurfr said:

The most ballspeed increase one will see is 1.5 times the clubhead speed increase. That's a perfect strike on modern drivers. Good rule of thumb is to use 1.43-1.48 times clubhead speed to identify ballspeed increase...without a launch monitor. 

On 10/25/2021 at 5:22 PM, Elee913 said:

I haven't really followed the protocols since then, although i do intend to restart them in a few weeks once golf season is over.

The question I have for others is will I have lost speed since I haven't been using the speedsticks?  

For the sake of brevity, @Elee913 I edited your initial post but I'm gonna give it a bump. I'm curious about the same questions, so hopefully we will get some answers. 

9 hours ago, shoot4par said:

For the sake of brevity, @Elee913 I edited your initial post but I'm gonna give it a bump. I'm curious about the same questions, so hopefully we will get some answers. 

i answered 

recap, I have had the same results as everyone reports, but not using any speed sticks or ‘program’. That should answer your question 

Edited by milesgiles

On 11/8/2021 at 10:26 AM, RCGA said:

High SS player chiming in 

I built my own based off the Stack System length (42") and the SuperSpeed weight (290g). My driver SS (45.5") maxes out around 122mph. After two sessions, I'm able to rip the 42" club 125mph (on a PRGR) which I guess translates to a ~130mph driver SS, but I think I'm tapped out for speed unless I do a major swing change. I mean, even at 125mph my recoil is like a long drive competitor, and there's no way I could swing at that effort on the course. 

Anyone with a high SS prior to starting speed training have much success beyond the initial gains? I suspect much of my initial jump was just resetting my internal governor. I'm just not really sure I can physically swing faster.  

Let me eat my own words here. 

Session #3 I hit 131mph, with several 130mph swings. Anyone top that?

2daD7OT.jpg

Titleist T100s w/ PX 6.5