SuperSpeed Golf training system

Anyone had a look at the new protocols? I’m close to finishing level 3 from the original protocols. Thinking on how to incorporate the new stuff or maybe just move onto the old level 4.
I have missed a few sessions recently over Christmas and out playing looking forward to keeping at it. 

• 3 weeks later...

Weird things lately. After a bunch of on and off efforts with speed training, I got the sticks back out. I now swing the blue stick faster than the green. I am consistently 3-6 mph faster with the blue. The green now just feels too light to swing fast, if that makes any sense. This may be due to the gym work I've been doing.

I also have the Stack System. I think I am going to be selling it. The more I did it, the slower I got. I like how closely it guides you through the workout and forces you to rest between swings (very important IMO), but I feel it wants you to work out too often. Bottom line is that I'm not getting the results from it. The thing that seems to work for me is using the sticks occasionally and doing speed work hitting balls at the range.

23 hours ago, DLiver said:

Weird things lately. After a bunch of on and off efforts with speed training, I got the sticks back out. I now swing the blue stick faster than the green. I am consistently 3-6 mph faster with the blue. The green now just feels too light to swing fast, if that makes any sense. This may be due to the gym work I've been doing.

I also have the Stack System. I think I am going to be selling it. The more I did it, the slower I got. I like how closely it guides you through the workout and forces you to rest between swings (very important IMO), but I feel it wants you to work out too often. Bottom line is that I'm not getting the results from it. The thing that seems to work for me is using the sticks occasionally and doing speed work hitting balls at the range.

I have this experience as well when I am on my first set of swings through the sticks. Then when I finish after two reps (right and left), I swing green stick as fast as I can 3 - 4 times and I get the highest swing speeds then. 

• Like 1

9* G410 LST w/ AD-BB 6
G410 LST 3 Wood w/ AD-DI 8
19* Callaway Rogue Pro Hybrid w/ AD-DI 85
Mizuno JPX 921 Forged w/ Steelfiber 110
Mizuno T20 Blue Ion 54* and 58* w/ Steelfiber 110
Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Select Del Mar

Ball: ProV1

Hey guys, is PRGR still the best monitor to use with these? 

I got a set around Christmas that I'm about to start using. Completely separate from speed training, though, I've been looking into getting a launch monitor -- something in the $2,000-and-under range. I'd love to kill two birds with one stone and just buy a single unit, but I don't know if any of those slightly pricier and more feature-rich personal launch monitors work for SuperSpeed.

Driver: Ping G430 LST 9* | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X

3W: Ping G430 Max @14* | Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 70X

7W: Ping G430 Max @20* | Graphite Design Tour AD DI 8X (or sometimes G430 3H with Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S)

4 Utility: Ping iCrossover @23.5* | Graphite Design Tour AD DI 95X (or sometimes G430 5H at 25* with Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S)

Irons: Ping i230 5-UW | Fujikura AXIOM 105X

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 54/12W@55/13W, 60/12X | Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Putter: Bettinardi 2024 BB1 Wide 

52 minutes ago, eric61 said:

I got a set around Christmas that I'm about to start using. Completely separate from speed training, though, I've been looking into getting a launch monitor -- something in the $2,000-and-under range. I'd love to kill two birds with one stone and just buy a single unit, but I don't know if any of those slightly pricier and more feature-rich personal launch monitors work for SuperSpeed.

I know skytrack doesn't monitor swing speed, just ball speed and back calculates. MLM works only with a ball. I would do PRGR since you can get CHS and ball speed from it.

Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS with Ventus Black 6x 44.5"

4w: '22 Rogue ST LS 16.5  Tensei AV Blue 75x

7w: '22 Callaway Apex UW 21 80s MMT

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH 95

4-AW: PXG OG 0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long MOI matched

Wedges: Cleveland Zipcore 54 Full/58 Mid 

Putter: DF2.1 35"69* in blue

Ball: Srixon Z-star XV

30 minutes ago, Rbsiedsc said:

I know skytrack doesn't monitor swing speed, just ball speed and back calculates. MLM works only with a ball. I would do PRGR since you can get CHS and ball speed from it.

Makes sense! One I'd been looking at is the Garmin R10, but I haven't checked at all into whether it works without a ball.

Driver: Ping G430 LST 9* | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X

3W: Ping G430 Max @14* | Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 70X

7W: Ping G430 Max @20* | Graphite Design Tour AD DI 8X (or sometimes G430 3H with Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S)

4 Utility: Ping iCrossover @23.5* | Graphite Design Tour AD DI 95X (or sometimes G430 5H at 25* with Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S)

Irons: Ping i230 5-UW | Fujikura AXIOM 105X

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 54/12W@55/13W, 60/12X | Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Putter: Bettinardi 2024 BB1 Wide 

On 11/12/2021 at 11:52 AM, MrFlipper said:

4.2 index, our season to post scores ends Monday. 64 1/2 years old. Been a relatively short knocker all my life.

I did superspeed over last winter. Starting chs driver 90 ish, got up to 102 ish but between wear and tear on my body from work (golf course maintenance), and being tired playing after work, found a happy ground around 95 ish when I started back up playing. Picked up 2 clubs in irons but ended up hitting them smoother with a 1 club gain. It was hard for me to swing all out on the driver and then try to hit a 3 finger iron, couldn't do it consistently. 

Gonna start up superspeed again here shortly, just the blue stick (see earlier comments upthread for reasoning). I'm a believer. The protocol works. I just have to cut it back so I don't overdo it.

Goal for this winter, pick up another club in irons and get driver over 100 without feeling like I look like Bryson jumping at it.

And I just have the SSR, don't think the mevo is worth the cost. You just need a relative measuring stick to track results.

Blue only as well been doing shuuugy shuuug for 3 years now...

• Like 1

PING G430 10K Max 9 degree (digitally lofted) DI VF 6X tipped .5". 44.5" D5 

G430 17 HY DI HY 85 X

TSR2 21 HY DI HY 85 X

4 THRU PW King Tour KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 48 "F" KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 54 "F" S400

VOKEY 60 "V" S400

SCOTTY CAMERON T11 BGT POLAR SHAFT SAND BLASTED TO MATCH HEAD... FLATSO 1.0

HOOFER LITE BLACK CAMO 

I have made no progress in the last two months. I am skipping the step change and thinking about ditching the Red (heavy) club. I haven't done any session in the last two weeks but should try to do it again today.

In summary, I have gained about 5 mph total and about 10 yards in the first 6 weeks but no real gain since. I am hoping for the next jump if the superspeed graph is correct.

superspeed jan 25.jpg

superspeed.jpg

This graph, if adjusted by -5 mph then it is similar to my situation. My hope is to get to 103 to 106 mph consistently on the course. Currently I think I am around 96 to 100 mph on the course.

Edited by khalespace

22 hours ago, khalespace said:

I have made no progress in the last two months. I am skipping the step change and thinking about ditching the Red (heavy) club. I haven't done any session in the last two weeks but should try to do it again today.

In summary, I have gained about 5 mph total and about 10 yards in the first 6 weeks but no real gain since. I am hoping for the next jump if the superspeed graph is correct.

superspeed jan 25.jpg

superspeed.jpg

This graph, if adjusted by -5 mph then it is similar to my situation. My hope is to get to 103 to 106 mph consistently on the course. Currently I think I am around 96 to 100 mph on the course.

I think you have a ton of untapped potential......U can already swing  a driver at 116mph, i would think that the foam ball would be at least 112-114mph and driver would be closer to 110-112 on the course.

1 hour ago, puresurfr said:

I think you have a ton of untapped potential......U can already swing  a driver at 116mph, i would think that the foam ball would be at least 112-114mph and driver would be closer to 110-112 on the course.

Some how when there is a ball in front of me, it prevents me from swinging fast. I also hit practice ball at home much faster than I can swing at a real ball on the course. May be it is mental and may take time to normalize. 

• 3 weeks later...

Looking for advice please...

I am a 7.4 handicap and typically drive it about 240-250 carry. My goal is to get to 260-270 carry to shorten up the long par 4s on my courses. I wasn't sure if SuperSpeed would be helpful for me, but I recently picked up the SuperSpeed C stick on sale (~$80) to see if I liked it. I have enjoyed the Protocol 1 and felt faster on my swings, but I was also experiencing some wrist soreness after training.

I'm now considering returning the SuperSpeed C and getting the full set to try instead. I don't have a monitor to measure my speed (only Rapsodo which doesn't), so I would potentially have to buy a PRGR as well. So, two questions in particular:

1) Do you have any advice for the wrist soreness I saw with the SuperSpeed C? Is it common at the beginning or am I doing something wrong?

2) For those that have the 3-stick set and C-stick, do you think it's worth using the full set if I don't have a monitor or should I stick with the C-stick for now? I'm trying to decide if it's worth going all-in on the set & monitor, when I'm not sure if it's for me.

Thanks in advance! 

TaylorMade Stealth 2+ 9* |  Ventus Blue Velo 6S

TaylorMade Stealth+ 3W   | Ventus Blue Velo 7S

Titleist TSR3 5W | Graphite Design AD-IZ 8S

Titleist TSR2 4H  |  Graphite Design AD-DI 85S

Titleist T150 5 - GW | Nippon Modus 3 Tour 105X

TaylorMade MG3 54*  58* | Dynamic Gold S400

TaylorMade Spider GT Notchback

Titleist Pro V1 | Srixon Z-Star Diamond

So I just got my 2nd set of superspeed sticks. First time I skimped and didn’t buy the radar. This time I made sure I got one with the sticks. It’s the blue swing speed radar. 

So, this radar kind of seems like a pos. Lots of no reads. Misreads. Etc. the only way I’ve been able to get semi consistent reads is to swing dangerously close to it. I swapped batteries thinking that could help. But pretty underwhelmed with it so far. I’m thinking maybe I’ll have to find a prgr now. Assuming it’s a much more consistent experience. 

I’m coming into the program Cold and recovering from a hand surgery. I like that the radar can give you immediate feedback and kind of show you when you’re making a move that is a speed killer. I ran through each stick last night just to get a baseline. Given how close I need to be to the radar, I think I’ll skip measuring my left handed swings. Don’t want to destroy the unit lol. 

• Like 1

Cobra LTDx LS 10.5* w/Kai'Li 70TX
Ping G430 Max 15* w/OG Ventus Blue 7X
Titleist TSR2 7w w/Ventus Red TR 8X
Cobra King CB 4-PW w/KBS $Taper
Bettinardi BB1 w/UST Mamiya All-In Graphite 
Mizuno Copper T22 52, 56, 60 w/MCA MMT 125TX Wedge Shafts
TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

So you add to my least post. I was looking at the instructions of the radar. Said a swing made with no ball can read significantly slower due to a late release. Makes sense. It also says to have the radar at a 45° angle in the direction that the swing is coming from. Took a couple tips with the green stick and it was reading significantly slower than what I’d expect. Like 40mph slower. 

Is it possible that my release is just super super late with this thing and it’s making the numbers read really low?

TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

I've had three SSR units and they have all been very good. One read a little high when compared to a Trackman, but the other two were pretty darned. Good. They were very consistent as well. I didn't notice they read differently with or without a ball.

I'm thinking you got a bad unit. I would see if they will exchange it for you.

On 1/25/2022 at 11:18 AM, Rbsiedsc said:

I know this post a few weeks old, but one thing about the PRGR unit is that it doesn't appear to work very well hitting balls into a net that is 10 feet or so away from the hitting area.  It will certainly get a reading, but the clubhead speed and smash factors are way low when I launch the ball properly (based on my typical numbers on a Trackman during recent lessons I've taken).  Readings appear to be more accurate when I launch the ball too high or initial launch direction is way left or right.  If I had to guess, 10 feet isn't enough for the PRGR unit to accurately differentiate between ball and clubhead (except when the ball and clubhead aren't "aligned"), so I'm guessing there is some "noise" in the readings from the ball slowing down so quickly when hitting the net.

That said, the readings for swinging without a ball appear to be more accurate/consistent.

The PRGR manual doesn't make any mention of using it when hitting balls into a net.  The higher end radar launch monitors do need a minimum distance when hitting into a net and they are probably capturing data at a higher resolution.  So given the price, I can't say I'm surprised (or disappointed) at its performance when hitting balls into a net.  However, it's an important consideration for anyone looking to get into a speed training with a protocol that involves hitting a ball.

• Thanks 1

On 2/15/2022 at 10:30 AM, zap311 said:

Looking for advice please...

I am a 7.4 handicap and typically drive it about 240-250 carry. My goal is to get to 260-270 carry to shorten up the long par 4s on my courses. I wasn't sure if SuperSpeed would be helpful for me, but I recently picked up the SuperSpeed C stick on sale (~$80) to see if I liked it. I have enjoyed the Protocol 1 and felt faster on my swings, but I was also experiencing some wrist soreness after training.

I'm now considering returning the SuperSpeed C and getting the full set to try instead. I don't have a monitor to measure my speed (only Rapsodo which doesn't), so I would potentially have to buy a PRGR as well. So, two questions in particular:

1) Do you have any advice for the wrist soreness I saw with the SuperSpeed C? Is it common at the beginning or am I doing something wrong?

2) For those that have the 3-stick set and C-stick, do you think it's worth using the full set if I don't have a monitor or should I stick with the C-stick for now? I'm trying to decide if it's worth going all-in on the set & monitor, when I'm not sure if it's for me.

Thanks in advance! 

@bluedot @nemodat Or others….any thoughts?

TaylorMade Stealth 2+ 9* |  Ventus Blue Velo 6S

TaylorMade Stealth+ 3W   | Ventus Blue Velo 7S

Titleist TSR3 5W | Graphite Design AD-IZ 8S

Titleist TSR2 4H  |  Graphite Design AD-DI 85S

Titleist T150 5 - GW | Nippon Modus 3 Tour 105X

TaylorMade MG3 54*  58* | Dynamic Gold S400

TaylorMade Spider GT Notchback

Titleist Pro V1 | Srixon Z-Star Diamond

6 hours ago, zap311 said:

@bluedot @nemodat Or others….any thoughts?

I’m on the road and away from my computer, so typing is a pain.  BUT the short answer is that IF you are one of the small % of golfers for whom SSG type protocols are the best way to gain speed, there is NO advantage to the 3 sticks vs one, and no advantage to large numbers of reps, plus added risk of injury. Why your wrist hurts is not for me to say.

Go to the Par4Success YouTube channel and watch their stuff. It’s based on their research with hundreds of golfers of all levels and ages, as well as the available research. 

Edited by bluedot
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, bluedot said:

I’m on the road and away from my computer, so typing is a pain.  BUT the short answer is that IF you are one of the small % of golfers for whom SSG type protocols are the best way to gain speed, there is NO advantage to the 3 sticks vs one, and no advantage to large numbers of reps, plus added risk of injury. Why your wrist hurts is not for me to say.

Go to the Par4Success YouTube channel and watch their stuff. It’s based on their research with hundreds of golfers of all levels and ages, as well as the available research. 

Jason Glass' latest podcast discusses his updated protocol:

https://www.jasonglassperformancelab.com/2022/02/17/cgp-ep432-speed-protocols-2022/

He discussed his protocol a few years ago and has since updated it (I may have talked about it in this thread, actually, but I'm not trying to find it).  He said that the normal protocols using all three sticks were so fatiguing that his players would often lose speed at the end of a session.  He experimented the past few years and has abandoned the use of the heavy stick.

It's not the same as what Par4Success uses, but as I've stated in other speed training threads, there are likely multiple protocols that work and it may be beneficial to try new protocols to overcome a plateau.  It's interesting that Glass had also came to similar conclusions regarding training volume.  

I glanced at the new superspeed protocols and it looks like they have also cut back on volume, but they are still a higher volume than Par4Success or Jason Glass protocols.

Edited by SirFuego
  • Thanks 2

Figured out my problem.  It isn't the radar.  It is me.  I recorded a video of myself trying to get a reading and I am subconsciously pulling away from the radar through the impact zone.  My eyes are focusing on it and I think I am afraid I am going to swing at it or something.  I seemed to get better readings when I fought through it.  I tried putting a piece of paper down to focus on and that helped.  But, I think I am going to switch to a down the line radar instead because I just cannot mentally get over it. 

TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

On 1/25/2022 at 9:25 AM, eric61 said:

Flightscope just added speed training to FS Golf with the Mevo+. It's great because you can use it and see the videos at the same time. 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 2/25/2022 at 7:16 AM, aramirez24 said:

Flightscope just added speed training to FS Golf with the Mevo+. It's great because you can use it and see the videos at the same time. 

My mevo plus doesn’t give me as accurate readings as prgr.  Speeds can widely vary whereas the prgr are much more consistent.  I know I’m in the minority but I’m pretty disappointed in the mevo plus as a whole.  

As for me, I’ve gained approx 6-7 miles an hour over the last 5-6 months with pretty consistent effort.  I initially followed the protocols and lately i pretty much only do step change 3 sets of 3 each.  I’ve gone from high 150s ball speed to high 160s with a max of 173 but more typically 165-169.  The gains have stuck so I don’t need to do a speed session  prior to see the increased ball speeds.  I rarely do a speed session before I hit at all.

Interestingly Ive gained about 6-7 miles an hour with each stick as well over that time period so my stick to driver has correspondingly increased 1 to 1 about.

Green max 131

Blue 125

Red 118.

all prgr

Driver 113-114 range (can read a little higher on the prgr but calculating through ball speed)

Edited by jestein1679

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/3/2022 at 10:44 PM, jestein1679 said:

My mevo plus doesn’t give me as accurate readings as prgr.  Speeds can widely vary whereas the prgr are much more consistent.  I know I’m in the minority but I’m pretty disappointed in the mevo plus as a whole.  

As for me, I’ve gained approx 6-7 miles an hour over the last 5-6 months with pretty consistent effort.  I initially followed the protocols and lately i pretty much only do step change 3 sets of 3 each.  I’ve gone from high 150s ball speed to high 160s with a max of 173 but more typically 165-169.  The gains have stuck so I don’t need to do a speed session  prior to see the increased ball speeds.  I rarely do a speed session before I hit at all.

Interestingly Ive gained about 6-7 miles an hour with each stick as well over that time period so my stick to driver has correspondingly increased 1 to 1 about.

Green max 131

Blue 125

Red 118.

all prgr

Driver 113-114 range (can read a little higher on the prgr but calculating through ball speed)

hit the gym a little more regularly over the last 6 weeks (not completely untrained) but with more consistency and pushing myself.  

Max speeds now 

135 green

127 blue

120 red

173 ball speed still Max but more routinely seeing ball speeds in low 170s now and 165s are generally mishits.

Edited by jestein1679
  • Like 1

On 1/4/2017 at 3:10 AM, ago33 said:

This has helped me, I've went up from 108-112 to 115-122 in a month.

The gains have mainly been from aligning my kinematic sequence vs speed themselves.

I made my own from $5 shafts on eBay and washers. $20 total vs the 200 they charge

yah, I did the same awhile back and posted photos. I used an old driver shaft with the adjustable tip from a Tour Edge. I did not make the whole 3 piece set, but only one that weighed about the same as the middle one of the commercial ones. I used fender washers and some smaller. Using the screw from the adapter  allows me to add/take off washers as needed for different weights.

"Non rinunciare mai quello
che desideri...."
Go with what you know!

Driver: Titleist 913D

Fairway: Tour Edge XCG 7

Hybrids: Bobby Jones(Jesse Ortiz) Blackbird 3,4,5,6

Irons: 3-PW Titleist 710 MB (Rifle Project X 6.0 Flighted)

Wedges: Tour Edge 52, 56 deg, Cleveland RTX 50 deg 

Putter: Odyssey Custom Metal X 7

oh, just noticed the date of this thread...2017...sorry!

"Non rinunciare mai quello
che desideri...."
Go with what you know!

Driver: Titleist 913D

Fairway: Tour Edge XCG 7

Hybrids: Bobby Jones(Jesse Ortiz) Blackbird 3,4,5,6

Irons: 3-PW Titleist 710 MB (Rifle Project X 6.0 Flighted)

Wedges: Tour Edge 52, 56 deg, Cleveland RTX 50 deg 

Putter: Odyssey Custom Metal X 7

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Anyone have tips for translating the stick speed into real swing speed? I have slowly and painstakingly increased my max with the light stick from 103 --> 135 (that 135 might have been a mis-read, but I can consistently get a few 130-132's per session). Which I'm very happy with.

My actual clubhead speed with driver has only gone from 97 --> 105-ish. My stock swing is 102, and when I step on it it's 105-106mph. It seems like this is lagging behind a little bit.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/29/2022 at 7:54 PM, Chunked Blade said:

Anyone have tips for translating the stick speed into real swing speed? I have slowly and painstakingly increased my max with the light stick from 103 --> 135 (that 135 might have been a mis-read, but I can consistently get a few 130-132's per session). Which I'm very happy with.

My actual clubhead speed with driver has only gone from 97 --> 105-ish. My stock swing is 102, and when I step on it it's 105-106mph. It seems like this is lagging behind a little bit.

What are your other sticks?  I find the red corresponds pretty close with your driver speed (driver about 3-5 lower.)

I’d first make sure I’m working on the other sticks, not just green.  But I agree regardless if you can hit low 130s with green you prob have the ability to swing much faster than 105 with a driver.

I’d also practice really maxing out at the range with driver.  Hit a lot of drivers (a lot) with the same intent and swing you use to create 130+ with the green.  Don’t worry about where the ball is going.   Sole focus is getting your body used to moving faster with a real ball.  Use a radar for feedback.  

And just hit a lot of drivers in general.  it will help you get comfortable with the most important club in the bag.  It’s extremely common AND silly to go to the range and see most people hit a half a bucket of 7irons and 8 drivers.

It should translate eventually so that your course swing is significantly faster without you feeling like you are even going all out.

Edited by jestein1679
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 11/12/2021 at 2:32 PM, milesgiles said:

I dont think every thread needs an equal and opposite thread for a counter argument. What I'd like to see is some actual peer reviewed research that says overspeed training is superior, and if it is, whats the advantage over one of these sticks to, say, a shaft with a grip on it? 

To me, it seems possible a lot of people are acrediting speed gains to one of these systems, when the reality is theyve never done any concentrated, measured speed training and that literally anything would have worked just as well

Sick hat

TSR3 9° Tensei Black 65X
TSi2 15° ATX Green 75TX
917F 18° ATX Green 85X
ZX5 MkII 4-5 / ZX7 MkII 6-P  Modus 120X
ZipCore 50° Modus 120X

Vokey SM9 54S/60M Modus 125 Wedge
Nike Neo

ZStar