2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

SuperSpeed Golf training system

> @Zizzer said:

> > @Toolish said:

> > I like the idea of overspeed training and I am thinking of making my own sticks, what are the lengths and weights?

> > Also is the full protocol available online?

>

> Is there a link you can share?

This is the actual SuperSpeed protocols -- pretty much everything is listed there:

https://superspeedgolf.com/pages/protocols

Jason Glass also has his own speed protocols, which is a bit different (he claims that it gives the same results as the SuperSpeed protocol and the podcast talks about his approach in decent detail:

https://www.jasonglassperformancelab.com/2018/04/25/coach-glass-speed-training-protocol/

> @BB28403 said:

> Anyone know which exact muscles or fascia that super speed works?

Any muscle or fascia that is worked by the golf swing will be worked by swinging the SuperSpeed sticks. There are a number of muscles that affect the golf swing, and how MUCH they are used and how much they can affect an individual's swing really depends on the individual. Looking at the [TPI Screening Protocol](http://www.mytpi.com/articles/screening "TPI Screening Protocol") will probably be a good starting point to understand the muscles used in a golf swing.

That said, SuperSpeed is less about which muscles are being worked and moreso about training your brain to activate the muscles faster and use them more efficiently.

> @SirFuego said:

> > @BB28403 said:

> > Anyone know which exact muscles or fascia that super speed works?

> Any muscle or fascia that is worked by the golf swing will be worked by swinging the SuperSpeed sticks. There are a number of muscles that affect the golf swing, and how MUCH they are used and how much they can affect an individual's swing really depends on the individual. Looking at the [TPI Screening Protocol](http://www.mytpi.com/articles/screening "TPI Screening Protocol") will probably be a good starting point to understand the muscles used in a golf swing.

>

> That said, SuperSpeed is less about which muscles are being worked and moreso about training your brain to activate the muscles faster and use them more efficiently.

I dunno . I think it strengthens particular muscles . But thanks for taking a crack at my question.

> @BB28403 said:

> > @SirFuego said:

> > > @BB28403 said:

> > > Anyone know which exact muscles or fascia that super speed works?

> > Any muscle or fascia that is worked by the golf swing will be worked by swinging the SuperSpeed sticks. There are a number of muscles that affect the golf swing, and how MUCH they are used and how much they can affect an individual's swing really depends on the individual. Looking at the [TPI Screening Protocol](http://www.mytpi.com/articles/screening "TPI Screening Protocol") will probably be a good starting point to understand the muscles used in a golf swing.

> >

> > That said, SuperSpeed is less about which muscles are being worked and moreso about training your brain to activate the muscles faster and use them more efficiently.

>

> I dunno . I think it strengthens particular muscles . But thanks for taking a crack at my question.

Don't get me wrong, it's an athletic motion and that almost certainly will increase strength and flexibility to some extent over time. As I mentioned before, the non-dominant swings are intended to improve deceleration on your dominant swings. Deceleration is mostly a function of (core) strength, so those muscles will likely be strengthened over time. Hips, glutes, abs, and lats are what I personally feel the most when doing SuperSpeed -- and those are also the muscles that I feel the most during/after a regular round of golf. That said, before improving my swing (prior to any superspeed training), my legs, lower back, and shoulders were what I felt after a round of golf.

That said, the brain also is great at compensating for physical limitations. So if one part of the body is weak or immobile, it will recruit other muscles to pick up the slack. Immobile or weak hips might cause you to use more lower back or more legs. Something like SuperSpeed training might trigger something in the brain to recruit the weaker muscles over them and subsequently strengthen them OR it will keep using the stronger muscles in a compensatory manner and just make them even stronger/more mobile relative to the weaker/less mobile muscles. With no hard evidence to base it on, my unqualified opinion is that it really depends upon what your focus is. If your focus is a bit experimental where you play around with different techniques to increase speed, you might find that the weaker muscles will get stronger. However, if you just focus on nothing more than swinging as hard as you can with the same technique as your regular golf swing, it might just make the stronger muscles even stronger and create a larger imbalance of strength. Either way the muscles that get stronger as a result of superspeed training depends on the individual's swing and any physical limitations they might have.

> @SirFuego said:

> > @BB28403 said:

> > > @SirFuego said:

> > > > @BB28403 said:

> > > > Anyone know which exact muscles or fascia that super speed works?

> > > Any muscle or fascia that is worked by the golf swing will be worked by swinging the SuperSpeed sticks. There are a number of muscles that affect the golf swing, and how MUCH they are used and how much they can affect an individual's swing really depends on the individual. Looking at the [TPI Screening Protocol](http://www.mytpi.com/articles/screening "TPI Screening Protocol") will probably be a good starting point to understand the muscles used in a golf swing.

> > >

> > > That said, SuperSpeed is less about which muscles are being worked and moreso about training your brain to activate the muscles faster and use them more efficiently.

> >

> > I dunno . I think it strengthens particular muscles . But thanks for taking a crack at my question.

> Don't get me wrong, it's an athletic motion and that almost certainly will increase strength and flexibility to some extent over time. As I mentioned before, the non-dominant swings are intended to improve deceleration on your dominant swings. Deceleration is mostly a function of (core) strength, so those muscles will likely be strengthened over time. Hips, glutes, abs, and lats are what I personally feel the most when doing SuperSpeed -- and those are also the muscles that I feel the most during/after a regular round of golf. That said, before improving my swing (prior to any superspeed training), my legs, lower back, and shoulders were what I felt after a round of golf.

>

> That said, the brain also is great at compensating for physical limitations. So if one part of the body is weak or immobile, it will recruit other muscles to pick up the slack. Immobile or weak hips might cause you to use more lower back or more legs. Something like SuperSpeed training might trigger something in the brain to recruit the weaker muscles over them and subsequently strengthen them OR it will keep using the stronger muscles in a compensatory manner and just make them even stronger/more mobile relative to the weaker/less mobile muscles. With no hard evidence to base it on, my unqualified opinion is that it really depends upon what your focus is. If your focus is a bit experimental where you play around with different techniques to increase speed, you might find that the weaker muscles will get stronger. However, if you just focus on nothing more than swinging as hard as you can with the same technique as your regular golf swing, it might just make the stronger muscles even stronger and create a larger imbalance of strength. Either way the muscles that get stronger as a result of superspeed training depends on the individual's swing and any physical limitations they might have.

Great way of explaining it, I think you are spot on. I have experimented with all kinds of ways to swing the golf club and while each swing doesn't look very different on camera, they feel comparatively slower or faster just based on what muscles I am trying to use.

@lhahn said:

> How often do you guys have off days where you're consistently 2-5% slower no matter how hard you try?

Plenty of days where I just don't feel very strong. Either I am worn out from something, or didn't get enough sleep or I am getting a cold or something. Also, some days I just don't feel nearly as coordinated so I don't sequence well enough to reach my normal speeds. It comes back though, just make sure to let your body rest when it needs it.

Swing hard in case you hit it!

nbieoh3demfl.png

Here are my results of the last 20 days since I've started. Two questions for everybody:

Q1: My swing speed radar has went off the deep end recently. It picks up 1 of 4 swings and when it does the range can be extremely large. For the green it can be a 20mph range swinging the same which makes no sense. I recently replaced the batteries so this shouldn't be an issue. Any ideas whats the matter or something I could change?

Q2: Has anybody seen the training negatively effect their ball striking? Course just opened up this week and Ive never hit the ball more poorly to start out a season (being a +1 handicap give or take).

> @Jokes said:

> nbieoh3demfl.png

> Here are my results of the last 20 days since I've started. Two questions for everybody:

> Q1: My swing speed radar has went off the deep end recently. It picks up 1 of 4 swings and when it does the range can be extremely large. For the green it can be a 20mph range swinging the same which makes no sense. I recently replaced the batteries so this shouldn't be an issue. Any ideas whats the matter or something I could change?

>

> Q2: Has anybody seen the training negatively effect their ball striking? Course just opened up this week and Ive never hit the ball more poorly to start out a season (being a +1 handicap give or take).

Q2: yes , people have pointed to the fact that low point control suffers a lot. If you train for 3 months or more , you prob will have the gains for the golf season. Some people stop and just coast on the gains till fall/winter.

Classic training Joey D (koepka, DJ) will avoid the ball striking issues.

My theory is that the SS sticks are too long, you train at the level of a driver, not at the arc of irons or hybrids.

• Like 1

Page 3 of the SuperSpeed manual suggests that the radar face you in the middle of your stance when using the sticks. When using an actual club though, placement matches what the radar manual says (45ish degrees towards your back swing at the ball):

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0096/3736/3812/files/SuperSpeed_Instruction_Manual.pdf?2668

That link was taken from this page:

https://superspeedgolf.com/pages/training-protocols

Also, radars can have issues if they are pointed directly at the sun. I was doing my protocol one morning with the sun at my back when swinging on my dominant side and could not get a consistent reading. I had no issues though when I turned it around for my non dominant swings.

> @BB28403 said:

> > @Jokes said:

> > nbieoh3demfl.png

> > Here are my results of the last 20 days since I've started. Two questions for everybody:

> > Q1: My swing speed radar has went off the deep end recently. It picks up 1 of 4 swings and when it does the range can be extremely large. For the green it can be a 20mph range swinging the same which makes no sense. I recently replaced the batteries so this shouldn't be an issue. Any ideas whats the matter or something I could change?

> >

> > Q2: Has anybody seen the training negatively effect their ball striking? Course just opened up this week and Ive never hit the ball more poorly to start out a season (being a +1 handicap give or take).

>

> Q2: yes , people have pointed to the fact that low point control suffers a lot. If you train for 3 months or more , you prob will have the gains for the golf season. Some people stop and just coast on the gains till fall/winter.

> Classic training Joey D (koepka, DJ) will avoid the ball striking issues.

> My theory is that the SS sticks are too long, you train at the level of a driver, not at the arc of irons or hybrids.

Same thing happend to me when I started mid season. Go from solid ballstriking to thin and fat contact. Thanks for your reply

> @SirFuego said:

> Page 3 of the SuperSpeed manual suggests that the radar face you in the middle of your stance when using the sticks. When using an actual club though, placement matches what the radar manual says (45ish degrees towards your back swing at the ball):

> https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0096/3736/3812/files/SuperSpeed_Instruction_Manual.pdf?2668

> That link was taken from this page:

> https://superspeedgolf.com/pages/training-protocols

>

> Also, radars can have issues if they are pointed directly at the sun. I was doing my protocol one morning with the sun at my back when swinging on my dominant side and could not get a consistent reading. I had no issues though when I turned it around for my non dominant swings.

>

>

Very interesting.

> @Bucken77 said:

> Does anyone know whether I could use the Zepp 2 system instead of a radar? The Zepp seems to give swing speed but I'm unsure how accurate it is

I have owned the original Zepp. Based off that I would say it is not accurate especially if you don't hit something but I can't say I know if Zepp 2 would suffer from the same issues. If you can get consistent results even if they aren't accurate (lets say it shows you swing 150 but it does so consistently), then you can measure if you are gaining speed I would think.

Mine would read 150s and 160s often when I swung a driver without hitting a ball. Yeah, I got rid of it.

Thanks for answering. Yeah i don't really care if it's accurate. Just that it's consistently inaccurate if that makes sense. Just show the gains while I get swole!

TM Sim 9.0
TM Sim 3WTi
TM Sim 3H

PXG XF 5-PW KBS TGI Graphite Reg
Cleveland CBX2 48/54/58 KBS
Byron Morgan GSS DH-89
www.gamegolf.com/player/Chunkylover77

Saw this on a Peter Finch YT video. The "Handy Speed Stick" three weights, one shaft. You could make one if you had a machine shop.

nv4nv44k331d.png

https://kivinigolf.com/en/products/

Driver: Titleist 910 D2 9.75* Diamana Kai'li 65 Mid S 3W: Titleist 910F 16.5 * Diamana Kai'li 75 Mid R 3H: Titleist 910H 19 * Diamana Kai'li 80HYB Mid R 2I: TourModel III True Temper S 3-PW: Mizuno MP 60 True Temper Dynamic Gold S300 S SW: TourModel III True Temper S Putter: Cobra Anvil 005 Ball: Ksig 3 piece

How many days before a tournament do you stop doing the workout? and if it's a 4 day tourny anyone doing the workout in between

m6 9 degree , tensai pro orange 70s , and epic flash sub zero rogue 60x
m4 3 wd, 15 degree rogue 125 msi 60 tour x  and epic flash sub zero hzrdus 70x,
818 h2 hybrid 19 degree ,tour spec blue 85s
taylor p790 17 degree
taylormade p760 3-pw
vokey 50--56--60
taylormade spider tour dj version and cleveland huntington beach number 1
epic green staff bag or taylormade flex lite 

Anyone know if SSG posts professional user numbers online? It would be cool to see how one compares to a pro. Then if you compare nicely but aren't matching their ball speed numbers on the course, then you would know you have possibly an inefficient swing when there is a ball to hit (hit mentality, or path issues causing you to reroute club and lose speed), or you have a mental issue putting forth confident effort with the golf swing because you think you will hit it poorly or something.

Maybe its only me that would love to see that lol.

> @SirFuego said:

> Page 3 of the _**SuperSpeed manual suggests that the radar face you in the middle of your stance when using the sticks**_. When using an actual club though, placement matches what the radar manual says (45ish degrees towards your back swing at the ball):

> https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0096/3736/3812/files/SuperSpeed_Instruction_Manual.pdf?2668

> That link was taken from this page:

> https://superspeedgolf.com/pages/training-protocols

>

> Also, radars can have issues if they are pointed directly at the sun. I was doing my protocol one morning with the sun at my back when swinging on my dominant side and could not get a consistent reading. I had no issues though when I turned it around for my non dominant swings.

>

>

Good spot - I hadn’t realized I needed to do this. I just started doing this and my SSR is reading swings 3 mph quicker!!

I have recommitted myself to doing the SSG program. A few years ago, I used an overspeed training program to gain 14 mph. Unfortunately, I didn't keep up the training and eventually lost all my gains. Recently I read a very interesting review/interview about SSG on another web site and it opened my eyes to a few things. In particular, you shouldn't expect continual gains while training. Basically you make some gains, then plateau for six to eight weeks or more. Then you get another bump, then plateau again. Staying with the training during the plateaus is crucial since that is how you make the gains permanent.

My approach this time is a little different. I am going to train about every other day, unless I find I am really gassed. I am going to train in the morning while I am fresh. No more training after workouts. I am going to stick with the program for six months regardless of whether I am seeing big gains or not.

The other thing I am adding to the mix is grip strength training. Grip strength is one of the areas where the average pro is WAY stronger than the average am. Not much is written about this, but it is very important IMO.

Lastly, I am going to mix in some speed training while actually hitting balls. In the past, I've found this to be a huge benefit for several reasons.

Now I just need to get to it lol.

> @"deadsolid...shank" said:

> I finally ordered a set, should be here tomorrow. Does it include a detailed manual on how to use them. I’m hoping jut to regain some of what I’ve lost.

All of the training protocols - warmup, level 1, level 2, etc - are available on their website. Also has videos of demonstrations for each exercise/movement.

----> See my current WITB
Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9°, Fujikura VENTUS Red 6 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 15° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 18° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Mizuno MP-18 MMC 3 Fli-Hi | 4-PW, Project X LZ 6.5
Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

> @ddetts said:

> > @"deadsolid...shank" said:

> > I finally ordered a set, should be here tomorrow. Does it include a detailed manual on how to use them. I’m hoping jut to regain some of what I’ve lost.

>

> All of the training protocols - warmup, level 1, level 2, etc - are available on their website. Also has videos of demonstrations for each exercise/movement.

> @ddetts said:

> > I finally ordered a set, should be here tomorrow. Does it include a detailed manual on how to use them. I’m hoping jut to regain some of what I’ve lost.

>

> All of the training protocols - warmup, level 1, level 2, etc - are available on their website. Also has videos of demonstrations for each exercise/movement.

Thanks D. I’ll have to delve further into the site.

EDIT: well that was easy enough to find (at least for anyone with half a brain ((leaves me out)).

• Like 1

> @"deadsolid...shank" said:

> Another question. How big a deal is the swing speed radar, I’m cheap and don’t ea t to spend the extra money. Has anyone used it without the radar and still gotten good results?

I think it is really important. It helps you learn how to swing fast. Otherwise you are just guessing at whether you are making fast swings or not. IME, swings that feel fast aren't always fast, and sometimes swings you think aren't fast actually are fast.

• Like 1

> @DLiver said:

> > Another question. How big a deal is the swing speed radar, I’m cheap and don’t ea t to spend the extra money. Has anyone used it without the radar and still gotten good results?

>

> I think it is really important. It helps you learn how to swing fast. Otherwise you are just guessing at whether you are making fast swings or not. IME, swings that feel fast aren't always fast, and sometimes swings you think aren't fast actually are fast.

>

Well bummer. I really don't want to spend the extra money right now. I tried finding some sore of app that might work but didn’t have much luck.

For those interested in purchasing the SS sticks, I was able to use an 20% off email promotion from Rock Bottom Golf to buy with free shipping.

Callaway Epic Max LS 9.0 Fujikura Ventus Black TS 6S
Cobra LtdX 3 wood Fujikura Motore F1 60S
Callaway UW 21 *
Mizuno JPX 919 HMP Nippon N.S.Pro Modus3 Tour 120S - 4-A
Mizuno  54* Nippon N.S.Pro Modus3 Tour 120S

Titleist SM6 58*
LAB DF 2.1  33"