2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

SuperSpeed Golf training system

So I've been slacking on my SS protocols the past few weeks, but got back into it last night. Previously, I found that if I did the protocol prior to hitting balls, I would hit my first few balls after the protocols pretty terribly, but then start hitting the ball well after a few swings.

Last night, I decided to change things up a bit. Prior to my protocols, I swung my SKLZ Gold Flex for a bit trying to gradually swing faster while still maintaining the smoothness that results from good rhythm and tempo. I tried to carry that rhythm and tempo into the SS protocols and ended up hitting personal bests across all of the sticks. After finishing the protocols, I took some HARD swings with the SKLZ Golf Flex while still focusing on the smoothness. I then transitioned to hit a few balls and they were all hit really well without an adjustment period.

Not sure if this is just a honeymoon phase with this procedure, or the time off from doing the protocols helped, or what was going on, but I felt like combining the tempo focus of a heavy whippy trainer with SS was pretty effective.

> @SirFuego said:

> So I've been slacking on my SS protocols the past few weeks, but got back into it last night. Previously, I found that if I did the protocol prior to hitting balls, I would hit my first few balls after the protocols pretty terribly, but then start hitting the ball well after a few swings.

>

> Last night, I decided to change things up a bit. Prior to my protocols, I swung my SKLZ Gold Flex for a bit trying to gradually swing faster while still maintaining the smoothness that results from good rhythm and tempo. I tried to carry that rhythm and tempo into the SS protocols and ended up hitting personal bests across all of the sticks. After finishing the protocols, I took some HARD swings with the SKLZ Golf Flex while still focusing on the smoothness. I then transitioned to hit a few balls and they were all hit really well without an adjustment period.

>

> Not sure if this is just a honeymoon phase with this procedure, or the time off from doing the protocols helped, or what was going on, but I felt like combining the tempo focus of a heavy whippy trainer with SS was pretty effective.

I think that is an excellent way to maintain a semblance of golf swing while speed training. I have trouble confusing "hard" with "fast." Fast is fast. Hard, not so much.

I haven't done the training in several months. I took a few swings last week (granted I was on grass in sneakers rather than the pavement where I typically do it). Dominant green was 132, about 10mph down from average when I was doing the training. Non-dominant was high 120s, which is only a few MPH less than what I was averaging. My non-dominant was always within 10mph towards the end of the training. Idk if I'm using that side of my body better or what, but my lefty swing looks NICE lol.

I may pick up the training again because I want the speed back. I still hit it out there, but always nice to hit it further. I'm debating only because short game work is much more important for my personal game than speed. Who said I can't work on both!?!?! I really would like to get to mid 120s with the Red consistently. According to some research a member has done, that's very close to what your Trackman Driver SS should be (within a couple MPH).

I traditionally put the radar about even with my front foot and far enough away where I would really have to REACH in order to hit it.

Driver: Cobra LTD Pro 7.5o - Kuro Kage DC XT 70 TX - Tipped 1"

UDI: 2019 TaylorMade P790 2i

Irons: 3-PW: Srixon z745 with Modus 130x

Wedges: 52o/56o/60o - Cleveland RTX4s

Putter: Ping Kushin 4

Just finished protocol level 1 (6 weeks) and I've seen a 5-6% gain in driver swing speed (measured with the radar, not verified by FlightScope/Trackman). When I started I measured my driver (with the radar) at 99-101mph (99 was a consistent draw, 101 was a slight fade). This seemed about right as I was typically showing mid to high 90s on a FlightScope over the winter (with expected related ball speed properties).

6 weeks later and I hit some drivers this morning after warm up and I was consistently getting 106mph with a tight draw. So it seems I am getting exactly out of it what I should. Note that I have been a lazy azz otherwise and have not been doing any other exercise programs (which I really need to do given my deteriorating body).

I have not played much this spring and my game is meh, but I will say this has got me to swing more freely instead of trying to "control" the strike. This has made me hit the ball better when I do "let go". As for distances, it is hard to tell without actually getting on a FlightScope. Weather and course conditions here have been wet and soft but is seems drives where I put a good swing on it are going farther. As for irons, again a mixed bag but I do seem to be on average a half club longer with the odd shot going a fair bit longer than expected.

Definitely will keep going (started level 2 this morning - kneeling swings on non-dominant side are eye-opening). From what I have read I should not expect much increase after level 2, but it sets up for another jump at level 3.

> @byerxa said:

> Just finished protocol level 1 (6 weeks) and I've seen a 5-6% gain in driver swing speed (measured with the radar, not verified by FlightScope/Trackman). When I started I measured my driver (with the radar) at 99-101mph (99 was a consistent draw, 101 was a slight fade). This seemed about right as I was typically showing mid to high 90s on a FlightScope over the winter (with expected related ball speed properties).

> 6 weeks later and I hit some drivers this morning after warm up and I was consistently getting 106mph with a tight draw. So it seems I am getting exactly out of it what I should. Note that I have been a lazy azz otherwise and have not been doing any other exercise programs (which I really need to do given my deteriorating body).

> I have not played much this spring and my game is meh, but I will say this has got me to swing more freely instead of trying to "control" the strike. This has made me hit the ball better when I do "let go". As for distances, it is hard to tell without actually getting on a FlightScope. Weather and course conditions here have been wet and soft but is seems drives where I put a good swing on it are going farther. As for irons, again a mixed bag but I do seem to be on average a half club longer with the odd shot going a fair bit longer than expected.

> Definitely will keep going (started level 2 this morning - kneeling swings on non-dominant side are eye-opening). From what I have read I should not expect much increase after level 2, but it sets up for another jump at level 3.

Great progress! Just keep grinding away. I have also found that learning how to swing fast at a ball is an important part of this. I have been doing a lot of travel lately, so my SSG workouts have taken a hit. I was able to get to the range the other day, and after hitting some balls, I started doing a swing speed session. I was swinging as hard as I could. It was amazing how well I started hitting the ball!

• 2 weeks later...

So I had a first session in my backyard in longer grass the other day, but wasn't properly loose. Brought it to the range today, and saw numbers that looked a little more like I would expect. My first thought is whoever said not to do this before a round was spot on. If you go all out like you are supposed to, it will take a fair bit out of you. Not to mention, I tried to hit a ball with my driver after I was done..... bad idea. I barely got club on the ball.

But I think this will have some real good results long term.

> @tdeutmeyer said:

> Does a Mevo work for measuring swing speed doing the SSG system?

Goog question. I still don’t have a measuring device, but I haven’t been doing the work for several weeks. Need to restart.

On a similar note, I’ve been looking at the Garmin G80, i wonder if that would work to measure. I’m guessing though that both measure the ball?

> @Bluefan75 said:

> So I am going to say there is a need to have a day off in between sessions. While I wasn't expecting improvements from yesterday, I wasn't expecting a lot of numbers to be so much lower a day later. But I did feel pretty tired. Give it a day I say.

3x per week, with at least a day off in between sessions is in the SSG literature and at the top of the training protocols page. In that regard, SSG is no different than any other workout routine; anything with that level of intensity is going to involve time off in between workouts.

FWIW:

I don't think it matters what measuring device you use, and I don't think it matters how you position the device. What matters is that whatever you are doing to measure is done the exact same way every single session; otherwise, the basis of comparison just isn't valid. Speaking only for myself, I don't care what the radar says as an absolute number; I'm not hitting a golf ball. The point of the training is to teach my body to swing faster in balance and as I become fatigued, and the measurement I'm interested in are the gains over time from previous sessions. So whatever device I'm using and however I have it positioned, if I do it the exact same way every time, I get the numbers I need.

In this regard, it's the same thing as a launch monitor, even Trackman, in that you have to position the ball more or less the same way every time before hitting it, and you are using the measurements as a basis of comparison of one club to another.

> @Bluefan75 said:

> So I am going to say there is a need to have a day off in between sessions. While I wasn't expecting improvements from yesterday, I wasn't expecting a lot of numbers to be so much lower a day later. But I did feel pretty tired. Give it a day I say.

You don't try to do a max deadlift two days in a row, why does anyone think attempting max speed two days in a row makes sense?

If I do this 11,548 more times, I will be having fun. - Zippy the Pinhead

> @northgolf said:

> > @Bluefan75 said:

> > So I am going to say there is a need to have a day off in between sessions. While I wasn't expecting improvements from yesterday, I wasn't expecting a lot of numbers to be so much lower a day later. But I did feel pretty tired. Give it a day I say.

>

> You don't try to do a max deadlift two days in a row, why does anyone think attempting max speed two days in a row makes sense?

Well schedule kind of dictated I either do two days in a row, or only do two workout this week.

> @Bluefan75 said:

> > @northgolf said:

> > > @Bluefan75 said:

> > > So I am going to say there is a need to have a day off in between sessions. While I wasn't expecting improvements from yesterday, I wasn't expecting a lot of numbers to be so much lower a day later. But I did feel pretty tired. Give it a day I say.

> >

> > You don't try to do a max deadlift two days in a row, why does anyone think attempting max speed two days in a row makes sense?

>

> Well schedule kind of dictated I either do two days in a row, or only do two workout this week.

Makes sense. I wish I could get two sessions in a week. 5 and 7 year old boys have made it so I barely get in one round a week, much less practice or training. Last year, I found I went through hops - pretty much the same speeds for 4 to 6 sessions, then a bump up to another plateau.

If I do this 11,548 more times, I will be having fun. - Zippy the Pinhead

> @northgolf said:

> > @Bluefan75 said:

> > > @northgolf said:

> > > > @Bluefan75 said:

> > > > So I am going to say there is a need to have a day off in between sessions. While I wasn't expecting improvements from yesterday, I wasn't expecting a lot of numbers to be so much lower a day later. But I did feel pretty tired. Give it a day I say.

> > >

> > > You don't try to do a max deadlift two days in a row, why does anyone think attempting max speed two days in a row makes sense?

> >

> > Well schedule kind of dictated I either do two days in a row, or only do two workout this week.

>

> Makes sense. I wish I could get two sessions in a week. 5 and 7 year old boys have made it so I barely get in one round a week, much less practice or training. Last year, I found I went through hops - pretty much the same speeds for 4 to 6 sessions, then a bump up to another plateau.

With a 3 and 5 year old, I found that my best opportunity for Superspeed is after the kids go down to sleep at night. Since I don't trust my garage ceiling height and know that I'll hold back, I do it under the stars in my back yard.

I know it is recommended to do it in the morning when you are "neurologically fresh", but I look at it similar the question of "is it better to work out in the morning, afternoon, or evening?"... My answer is always that the best time to workout is whatever time makes you most likely to actually work out.

• Like 2

> @300_Straight said:

> I haven't done the training in several months. I took a few swings last week (granted I was on grass in sneakers rather than the pavement where I typically do it). Dominant green was 132, about 10mph down from average when I was doing the training. Non-dominant was high 120s, which is only a few MPH less than what I was averaging. My non-dominant was always within 10mph towards the end of the training. Idk if I'm using that side of my body better or what, but my lefty swing looks NICE lol.

>

> I may pick up the training again because I want the speed back. I still hit it out there, but always nice to hit it further. I'm debating only because short game work is much more important for my personal game than speed. Who said I can't work on both!?!?! I really would like to get to mid 120s with the Red consistently. According to some research a member has done, that's very close to what your Trackman Driver SS should be (within a couple MPH).

>

> I traditionally put the radar about even with my front foot and far enough away where I would really have to REACH in order to hit it.

Hopefully your numbers come back up. I am down some too but I blame the dad bod being in full effect. The numbers are starting to come back though. I continue to see a strong correlation between the red club and actual driver swing speed. For me, they only closely match when I am trying to hit a tee with the SSG club. If I free swing the SSG club, not worrying about hitting anything, I gain several mph. To me, that means I have quite a bit more potential if I can get my swing path to be such that it will hit a ball well when swung that hard. It might also just be that I need to somehow convince myself "there is no ball" and just swing through it more.

Swing hard in case you hit it!

> @clevited said:

> > @300_Straight said:

> > I haven't done the training in several months. I took a few swings last week (granted I was on grass in sneakers rather than the pavement where I typically do it). Dominant green was 132, about 10mph down from average when I was doing the training. Non-dominant was high 120s, which is only a few MPH less than what I was averaging. My non-dominant was always within 10mph towards the end of the training. Idk if I'm using that side of my body better or what, but my lefty swing looks NICE lol.

> >

> > I may pick up the training again because I want the speed back. I still hit it out there, but always nice to hit it further. I'm debating only because short game work is much more important for my personal game than speed. Who said I can't work on both!?!?! I really would like to get to mid 120s with the Red consistently. According to some research a member has done, that's very close to what your Trackman Driver SS should be (within a couple MPH).

> >

> > I traditionally put the radar about even with my front foot and far enough away where I would really have to REACH in order to hit it.

>

> Hopefully your numbers come back up. I am down some too but I blame the dad bod being in full effect. The numbers are starting to come back though. I continue to see a strong correlation between the red club and actual driver swing speed. For me, they only closely match when I am trying to hit a tee with the SSG club. If I free swing the SSG club, not worrying about hitting anything, I gain several mph. To me, that means I have quite a bit more potential if I can get my swing path to be such that it will hit a ball well when swung that hard. It might also just be that I need to somehow convince myself "there is no ball" and just swing through it more.

I find that I swing hard with the Driver on the course. My left heel comes off the ground, similar to Matt Wolff (just not the unique backswing and not quite as much speed!) and I go after it. I find that swinging through the ball not only helps with accuracy, but with contact and distance as well. If my speed is down, I'm not noticing anything on the course. After replacing my old Driver, I'm hitting it further than before, even if I did in fact, lose speed. Higher ball speed and lower launching (was launching the other driver like a 6 iron) / spinning shots definitely have increased distance. I hit one against the wind on Saturday ~300 and with the wind I hit a couple 330-340 with not much roll. Felt fantastic.

I also did the most recent speed swings on grass, whereas I was training on pavement. I don't think that would account for ~10mph, but some. Good luck with the training if you take it up again!

Driver: Cobra LTD Pro 7.5o - Kuro Kage DC XT 70 TX - Tipped 1"

UDI: 2019 TaylorMade P790 2i

Irons: 3-PW: Srixon z745 with Modus 130x

Wedges: 52o/56o/60o - Cleveland RTX4s

Putter: Ping Kushin 4

I am thinking of starting this program, mainly I am looking to gain distance with my woods. I already hit my irons plenty far, but my mechanics break down with my woods. My current driver swing speed is 97 - 100mph, but I am not good at transferring that to the ball, so my good carry distances are generally 230 yds. I am hoping to get my swing more efficient and to pick up 5-6 mph, with everything I have read on this thread, that seems completely possible. The big question I have; do I make my own sticks, or buy the actual sticks from Amazon? I have a few shafts in stiff flex with TM adapters on them, and would want to make something that screws into the adapter. Has anyone used both home made sticks and the real sticks and noticed any performance differences?

In the bag

Driver: Taylormade Sim2 Max 9*

4w: Callaway Mavrik Sub Zero

Hybrid:  Apex 19 3h 20*

Hybrid:  Apex 19 4h 23*

Irons: Callaway Apex CF 19 5i-AW

W1: Vokey SM7 54* S

W2: Vokey SM8 60* L

Putter: Swag Handsome Too

So I've got a theory. Tell me what you guys think. Take this example:

Player 1 has a normal driver speed of 110. He can swing the green stick at 120. Player 2 has a normal driver speed of 110. He can swing the green stick at 135.

My theory is that player 2 is being limited by his swing mechanics or muscular strength more than a CNS limit that overspeed training would improve. Player 1 has more CNS limited speed left on the table.

Titleist TSi3 8° - HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX 60TX

Titleist TS3 15° - HZRDUS Black (Hand Crafted) 70TX

Titleist 818 H2 19° - Tensei Pro White 100TX

Ping i200 - SteelFiber i125x

Edison - SteelFiber i125s

LAB DF 2.1 Armlock - LAGP

Snell MTB-X

> @Wesquire said:

> So I've got a theory. Tell me what you guys think. Take this example:

>

> Player 1 has a normal driver speed of 110. He can swing the green stick at 120. Player 2 has a normal driver speed of 110. He can swing the green stick at 135.

>

> My theory is that player 2 is being limited by his swing mechanics or muscular strength more than a CNS limit that overspeed training would improve. Player 1 has more CNS limited speed left on the table.

The SSG folks hosted their first webinar back in April (past webinars can be replayed [here](https://superspeedgolf.com/blogs/news "here")). At about the 13:00 minute mark they throw up a graphic that while doing the SSG protocol (where you swing green, then blue, then red), the green stick should be about 19% faster than a normal driver clubhead speed, blue should be 15% higher, and red should be 10% above. So the golfer with a 110 mph driver clubhead speed should be swinging the green stick at about 130-131mph.

While I'm sure those numbers vary from person to person, so I admittedly have no context of the variance of those percentages posted, I would tend to think that player 1 has some sort of technical or physical limitation preventing him from getting to 130 and player 2 is taking something off of his normal driver swing (either perhaps to keep it straight -- in which there is a technical issue somewhere -- or something mental changes when a ball is introduced). That said, I could very easily be swayed in that opinion. The SSG folks have also discussed "normalization" vs "plateau" phases (discussed in that same webinar with a graphic), so I wouldn't be surprised if you might the percentages I listed above vary more during normalization than the plateau phases. Based on that graphic, I don't think I (personally) would get too concerned about hitting those specific percentages and perhaps look at the advanced protocols after about 15-20 weeks if things don't seem to be going as planned.

I found it interesting that if you go to their [Advanced Protocols](https://superspeedgolf.com/pages/advanced-speed-development-protocols "Advanced Protocols"), and download that [instruction manual](https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0096/3736/3812/files/ASD_Instruction_Manual_b52a5351-3ff8-403c-a8e2-396b79c3cfab.pdf?2679 "instruction manual"), they have different tests to determine identify deficiencies in ground forces, kinematic sequencing, and/or lag. The kinematic sequencing test was interesting -- with good kinematic sequencing, a half-swing with your driver (lead arm parallel to the ground) should only see your clubhead speed drop off by 7%. If you have a larger dropoff than 7% (so a golfer swinging at 110mph should still be able to swing at about 102-103 mph with a half-swing). Provided that's a legit test, seeing guys like Rahm and Finau get such high clubhead speeds with short swings isn't quite as surprising.

They are hosting [another webinar this week](https://zoom.us/webinar/register/ae4b15b98b7285e04ac87b605f06faf5 "another webinar this week"), so maybe you could submit a question and see if they address it? I watched the replays of past webinars and it looks like that the first part is them presenting on a specific topic, but it's followed up by questions not just on that topic, but SSG in general.

> @SirFuego said:

> > @Wesquire said:

> > So I've got a theory. Tell me what you guys think. Take this example:

> >

> > Player 1 has a normal driver speed of 110. He can swing the green stick at 120. Player 2 has a normal driver speed of 110. He can swing the green stick at 135.

> >

> > My theory is that player 2 is being limited by his swing mechanics or muscular strength more than a CNS limit that overspeed training would improve. Player 1 has more CNS limited speed left on the table.

>

> The SSG folks hosted their first webinar back in April (past webinars can be replayed [here](https://superspeedgolf.com/blogs/news "here")). At about the 13:00 minute mark they throw up a graphic that while doing the SSG protocol (where you swing green, then blue, then red), the green stick should be about 19% faster than a normal driver clubhead speed, blue should be 15% higher, and red should be 10% above. So the golfer with a 110 mph driver clubhead speed should be swinging the green stick at about 130-131mph.

>

> While I'm sure those numbers vary from person to person, so I admittedly have no context of the variance of those percentages posted, I would tend to think that player 1 has some sort of technical or physical limitation preventing him from getting to 130 and player 2 is taking something off of his normal driver swing (either perhaps to keep it straight -- in which there is a technical issue somewhere -- or something mental changes when a ball is introduced). That said, I could very easily be swayed in that opinion. The SSG folks have also discussed "normalization" vs "plateau" phases (discussed in that same webinar with a graphic), so I wouldn't be surprised if you might the percentages I listed above vary more during normalization than the plateau phases. Based on that graphic, I don't think I (personally) would get too concerned about hitting those specific percentages and perhaps look at the advanced protocols after about 15-20 weeks if things don't seem to be going as planned.

>

> I found it interesting that if you go to their [Advanced Protocols](https://superspeedgolf.com/pages/advanced-speed-development-protocols "Advanced Protocols"), and download that [instruction manual](https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0096/3736/3812/files/ASD_Instruction_Manual_b52a5351-3ff8-403c-a8e2-396b79c3cfab.pdf?2679 "instruction manual"), they have different tests to determine identify deficiencies in ground forces, kinematic sequencing, and/or lag. The kinematic sequencing test was interesting -- with good kinematic sequencing, a half-swing with your driver (lead arm parallel to the ground) should only see your clubhead speed drop off by 7%. If you have a larger dropoff than 7% (so a golfer swinging at 110mph should still be able to swing at about 102-103 mph with a half-swing). Provided that's a legit test, seeing guys like Rahm and Finau get such high clubhead speeds with short swings isn't quite as surprising.

>

> They are hosting [another webinar this week](https://zoom.us/webinar/register/ae4b15b98b7285e04ac87b605f06faf5 "another webinar this week"), so maybe you could submit a question and see if they address it? I watched the replays of past webinars and it looks like that the first part is them presenting on a specific topic, but it's followed up by questions not just on that topic, but SSG in general.

Interesting, I've swung my driver during a session and produced the same swing speed as the blue club.

> @SirFuego said:

> > @Wesquire said:

> >

> > Player 1 has a normal driver speed of 110. He can swing the green stick at 120. Player 2 has a normal driver speed of 110. He can swing the green stick at 135.

> >

> > My theory is that player 2 is being limited by his swing mechanics or muscular strength more than a CNS limit that overspeed training would improve. Player 1 has more CNS limited speed left on the table.

>

> I would tend to think that player 1 has some sort of technical or physical limitation preventing him from getting to 130 and player 2 is taking something off of his normal driver swing (either perhaps to keep it straight -- in which there is a technical issue somewhere -- or something mental changes when a ball is introduced).

I would think it is the opposite. By their own account, Player 1 should be able to swing the green stick faster. It would seem that it is a neurological limit, not a physical one.

Snell MTB-X

> @SirFuego said:

> > @Wesquire said:

> >

> >

>

> The SSG folks hosted their first webinar back in April (past webinars can be replayed [here](https://superspeedgolf.com/blogs/news "here")). At about the 13:00 minute mark they throw up a graphic that while doing the SSG protocol (where you swing green, then blue, then red), the green stick should be about 19% faster than a normal driver clubhead speed, blue should be 15% higher, and red should be 10% above. So the golfer with a 110 mph driver clubhead speed should be swinging the green stick at about 130-131mph.

>

> While I'm sure those numbers vary from person to person, so I admittedly have no context of the variance of those percentages posted, I would tend to think that player 1 has some sort of technical or physical limitation preventing him from getting to 130 and player 2 is taking something off of his normal driver swing (either perhaps to keep it straight -- in which there is a technical issue somewhere -- or something mental changes when a ball is introduced). That said, I could very easily be swayed in that opinion. The SSG folks have also discussed "normalization" vs "plateau" phases (discussed in that same webinar with a graphic), so I wouldn't be surprised if you might the percentages I listed above vary more during normalization than the plateau phases. Based on that graphic, I don't think I (personally) would get too concerned about hitting those specific percentages and perhaps look at the advanced protocols after about 15-20 weeks if things don't seem to be going as planned.

>

> I found it interesting that if you go to their [Advanced Protocols](https://superspeedgolf.com/pages/advanced-speed-development-protocols "Advanced Protocols"), and download that [instruction manual](https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0096/3736/3812/files/ASD_Instruction_Manual_b52a5351-3ff8-403c-a8e2-396b79c3cfab.pdf?2679 "instruction manual"), they have different tests to determine identify deficiencies in ground forces, kinematic sequencing, and/or lag. The kinematic sequencing test was interesting -- with good kinematic sequencing, a half-swing with your driver (lead arm parallel to the ground) should only see your clubhead speed drop off by 7%. If you have a larger dropoff than 7% (so a golfer swinging at 110mph should still be able to swing at about 102-103 mph with a half-swing). Provided that's a legit test, seeing guys like Rahm and Finau get such high clubhead speeds with short swings isn't quite as surprising.

>

> They are hosting [another webinar this week](https://zoom.us/webinar/register/ae4b15b98b7285e04ac87b605f06faf5 "another webinar this week"), so maybe you could submit a question and see if they address it? I watched the replays of past webinars and it looks like that the first part is them presenting on a specific topic, but it's followed up by questions not just on that topic, but SSG in general.

Very interesting information. They think a person generally swings the red stick 10% faster than driver? I would love to see their data. I think its almost entirely mental. No ball, swing free and don't care about hitting an object. If your swing is naturally sound and when you swing fast as you can it stays pretty sound, it seems to be very close to the same as a standard length driver. Of course swing weight, and overall weight of the driver as well as length can make a difference but just for an example that is easy to find, Tyler Parsons has a couple videos where he maxes out at 133 with the red stick and in a later video he maxes out at 132 on Trackman with what looks like a standard length driver. There are others that show this as well, including myself on occasion (my swing is much less sound though, I just have good days here and there).

There have also been plenty that don't swing their driver anywhere close to what their SSG numbers indicate they might be able to. Again, I think a lot of it is mental.

Edit: Also possible some people are taking a random high number from SSR and adding that as a new PR when it was actually an abnormal read. I very occasionally get a very high reading that I ignore because I can't reliably reproduce it. This high number also skews averages some.

I have said this many times and I still think it is valid. If you swing that red club at a tee and focus on hitting the tee. That will give you a good idea of what your driver swing speed should be when a ball is down there to hit. If it is far from your consistent red swings without swinging at a tee, then you might have some speed to free up that is being held back mentally and or mechanically when a ball is in front of you. Shows you have that ceiling though imo.

I really think a tool that accurately and reliably measures your maximum swing speed no matter where it occurs would be an asset to a lot of people. You might see that you are naturally gifted, or that you have much more potential than you thought and spark your pursuit of getting lessons or just getting more into the sport of golf. Those accelerometer devices that are out there do this but not accurately or reliably, otherwise I peak at 165 with my driver swing. Stupid Zepp junk.

> @clevited said:

> Binge posting a bit as I haven't posted much in a long while but how many on here have ever compared their SSR to a Trackman with their gamer club? How off have you found it to be?

On trackman I get to low 120s on good swings. On SSR I'm mid 120s. Until last week, my green stick averages were low 130s and my red stick were just under 120. I just don't swing the sticks fast relative to my driver, but I've never actually gone through the SSG program.

Snell MTB-X

> @Wesquire said:

> > @clevited said:

> > Binge posting a bit as I haven't posted much in a long while but how many on here have ever compared their SSR to a Trackman with their gamer club? How off have you found it to be?

>

> On trackman I get to low 120s on good swings. On SSR I'm mid 120s. Until last week, my green stick averages were low 130s and my red stick were just under 120. I just don't swing the sticks fast relative to my driver, but I've never actually gone through the SSG program.

Awesome information thanks for responding to my question. That is just another correlating point for my theory about the red stick and how it relates to your driver generally. Some are a little slower with driver than red stick others are other way around. They are generally within a few mph from several people I have conversed with.

SSR is that accurate for you wow. Good stuff. Thanks for that.

> @clevited said:

> > @Wesquire said:

> > > @clevited said:

> > > Binge posting a bit as I haven't posted much in a long while but how many on here have ever compared their SSR to a Trackman with their gamer club? How off have you found it to be?

> >

> > On trackman I get to low 120s on good swings. On SSR I'm mid 120s. Until last week, my green stick averages were low 130s and my red stick were just under 120. I just don't swing the sticks fast relative to my driver, but I've never actually gone through the SSG program.

>

> Awesome information thanks for responding to my question. That is just another correlating point for my theory about the red stick and how it relates to your driver generally. Some are a little slower with driver than red stick others are other way around. They are generally within a few mph from several people I have conversed with.

>

> SSR is that accurate for you wow. Good stuff. Thanks for that.

This could be completely wrong, but I think the SSR accuracy depends on how you swing. I've read some stuff that leads me to believe that the SSR measures more toward the toe, so people that come in with an open face and roll their wrists hard through impact will have a bigger difference in speed on SSR and trackman. People that square the face early and have less face rotation will have a more similar reading. Just another theory.

Snell MTB-X