SuperSpeed Golf training system

> @DaveMac said:

> > @SirFuego said:

> > I have also continued experimenting with using a whippy trainer as a warm up. I have found it to be an efficient way to warm up as it lets me replicate a good tempo throughout the protocols. I definitely find that my speeds suffer when I don't warm up using a whippy trainer because I have a tendency to get quick in transition (especially with the green club) when I don't have a feeling of proper tempo.

>

> Out of interest which ‘whippy’ trainer are you using and do you observe your speed with it? Just interested in getting a speed comparison percentage, between the trainer and the superspeed sticks.

>

> By the way don’t push the trainer just to get a higher number getting an injury in the process. Much of this thread focuses on how fast the superspeed sticks have been swung, there isn’t a great deal of permanent plateaued increases in club head speed recorded. Superspeed’s updated protocols at least now have bounded swing speed targets (+10% heavy, +15% middle, +18% light)

>

>

I'm using the iron-length SKLZ Gold Flex. At the time I bought it, I was doing a lot of practice using a net in my garage and the ceiling wasn't high enough for the driver length version. I really only use it to groove tempo, so I don't really monitor speed. I've swung all out with it a few times, but don't feel comfortable doing it. It's not so much my body that I'm concerned about, it's how violent the recoil is. I'd just be expecting that heavy ball at the end of the shaft to go flying after the shaft snaps from recoiling off my body.

> @SirFuego said:

> I'm using the iron-length SKLZ Gold Flex. At the time I bought it, I was doing a lot of practice using a net in my garage and the ceiling wasn't high enough for the driver length version. I really only use it to groove tempo, so I don't really monitor speed. I've swung all out with it a few times, but don't feel comfortable doing it. It's not so much my body that I'm concerned about, it's how violent the recoil is. I'd just be expecting that heavy ball at the end of the shaft to go flying after the shaft snaps from recoiling off my body.

Appreciate the reply, and dealing with the additional mass through the release would place a dangerous force on the shaft at your swing speed. I don’t have anything like your speed so it’s more a case of my body dealing with the mass of the standard orange whip rather than the shaft.

> @DaveMac said:

> Once again, from my experience Superspeed isn’t the buy it, use it, and you will improve product, it is advertised to be. I also now concur with the mandatory need for the swing speed radar, which pushes the outlay up significantly.

Here is a little additional information that might be of interest, it might also allow some, to reduce the number of swings required for a speed benefit. During my recent search for additional information on golf over speed training, I came across this study (https://par4success.com/articles/are-you-using-overspeed-correctly) on Par4success website (fitness program provider). The study is also discussed in this video 34:00 minutes in (

).

Two findings pop out from the study, first they suggest the lightest club is detrimental to sequencing. Second they found statistically significant improvement in speed, from simply using the medium weight stick from the set (green ladies / senior, blue gents), so in 1/3 the swings. Finally in a separate study they found rest is crucially important, the ratio they suggest is 1 part work to 5 parts rest.

I certainly wish I had read this, before buying the lightspeed (yet another light club) as I would have experimented with the single stick / longer rest method to see if I started to see some on course speed benefits.

Edit:

Just to add, this isn’t a direct dig at Superspeed, this thread is generally positive about the system. The research above also shows it works, they just offer a more efficient way to make it work. Superspeed hasn’t been effective for me and I wanted to find out why. The best answers I can come up with are: no radar, probably the wrong weight set (senior rather than gents), the directive to swing all out (this is now changed with the +18%, +15%, +10% targets within the new protocols) and finally insufficient rest between sets.

• Like 1

Makes sense...you pretty much never saw all 3 sticks in tour players bag when they took pictures for witb.

From following the long drivers on Instagram it doesn’t seem they swing these sticks at all even thou there is a ld version. So it might suggest a that swinging all out with the driver daily or at least frequently may be enough to increase speed over a period of time.

Several ld and coaches suggest swing a long pvc pipe for there speed work. It trains you to rotate more because the end is farther way from your hands than you are used to.

> @airjammer said:

> Makes sense...you pretty much never saw all 3 sticks in tour players bag when they took pictures for witb.

>

> From following the long drivers on Instagram it doesn’t seem they swing these sticks at all even thou there is a ld version. So it might suggest a that swinging all out with the driver daily or at least frequently may be enough to increase speed over a period of time.

>

> Several ld and coaches suggest swing a long pvc pipe for there speed work. It trains you to rotate more because the end is farther way from your hands than you are used to.

>

Not surprising, it probably feels like a longer than normal orange whip. Probably great for speed work and sequencing.

Driver: Titleist Tsi3 w/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow TX 6.0 
3 Wood: Cobra King Speedzone/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70

5 Wood: Callaway Mavrik Subzero/Aldila Rogue White 70
Long Irons (4-6): Wilson D7 Forged/DG120TI
Short Irons (7-P): Wilson Staff Model Blade/DG120TI

Wedges (50/54/58): Callaway Jaws MD5 w/TI S200
Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
Ball: Titleist Left Dash

> @DaveMac said:

> the directive to swing all out (this is now changed with the +18%, +15%, +10% targets within the new protocols) and finally insufficient rest between sets.

Those percentages are just supposed to be rough guidelines to see if technique is limiting you. It's my understanding that if you can't hit those percentages, that there is a good chance that technique, not your neurological system, is limiting your speed. You should still be swinging all out.

My green stick was in the right ballpark for my driver swing speed, but the blue and red sticks weren't close. After I fixed some things in my swing, my green stick didn't change much, but the blue and red got much closer to those percentages.

Thanks for posting the study. I have actually thought about adding some lead tape to the green stick because it just feels a bit too light and I can't really feel the stick like I can the blue and red, so my sequencing gets thrown off with the green stick.

I have certainly given up on the notion of all out, it might be a physical or technical limitation on my part but my movement pattern worsens considerably chasing the notion of all out.

I realise the goal is training the brain that the body can move faster but given my ludicrously low starting point I have more than enough wiggle room to balance speed with form. Having the swing speed radar really helps in this regard, what I previously thought was fast was in fact anything but.

Jumped back on the SSG bandwagon with my home built knockoff. I hadn't been swinging it much all summer and my swing speed has been sporadic on the golf course. I used the SSG club to dial back in my sequencing and effort to get my ceiling back up to normal in literally one night. At the very least, when you feel you are done using it for gains, it can work as a great gauge for how well you are swinging the club. I was 10 mph low until I got my sequencing and technique back. The small rounded end of the clubs really help take out the outliers you can get on radar with an actual driver when you snap that face closed. False feedback I call that.

After my exhausting session, I went through most of my bag and was crushing every single one. I was able to just swing and not try and hit at the ball, was a great feeling. I could swing hard as I wanted and be assured I would make good contact. Whether they were going left or right I am not sure yet, I was hitting into a net but will take this to the range soon as I can and check the ball flight. Did reach a new PR of 140 (which might be realistically high 120s low 130s) when swinging my driver, hit it several times. Hopefully I will see ball speeds reflect that at the range.

Swing hard in case you hit it!

> @CardsChamps11 said:

> Welp, I'm now in the market for my third swing speed radar in two years. I am swinging all out and have accidentally hit it twice. Quite a fireworks show when you do hit it. The thing really explodes nicely.

LOL.

I'm back on the wagon starting last night. I played in a tournament last week and was the shortest in the group by a good ten yards. Seems I've lost all the gains I made when I was regularly swinging the SS sticks a couple of seasons ago.

> @CardsChamps11 said:

> Welp, I'm now in the market for my third swing speed radar in two years. I am swinging all out and have accidentally hit it twice. Quite a fireworks show when you do hit it. The thing really explodes nicely.

I'll send you one for $85 shipped. PM me.

• Like 1

Titleist TSi3 8° - HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX 60TX

Titleist TS3 15° - HZRDUS Black (Hand Crafted) 70TX

Titleist 818 H2 19° - Tensei Pro White 100TX

Ping i200 - SteelFiber i125x

Edison - SteelFiber i125s

LAB DF 2.1 Armlock - LAGP

Snell MTB-X

> @DaveMac said:

> > @DaveMac said:

>

> > Once again, from my experience Superspeed isn’t the buy it, use it, and you will improve product, it is advertised to be. I also now concur with the mandatory need for the swing speed radar, which pushes the outlay up significantly.

>

> Here is a little additional information that might be of interest, it might also allow some, to reduce the number of swings required for a speed benefit. During my recent search for additional information on golf over speed training, I came across this study (https://par4success.com/articles/are-you-using-overspeed-correctly) on Par4success website (fitness program provider). The study is also discussed in this video 34:00 minutes in (

).

>

> Two findings pop out from the study, first they suggest the lightest club is detrimental to sequencing. Second they found statistically significant improvement in speed, from simply using the medium weight stick from the set (green ladies / senior, blue gents), so in 1/3 the swings. Finally in a separate study they found rest is crucially important, the ratio they suggest is 1 part work to 5 parts rest.

>

> I certainly wish I had read this, before buying the lightspeed (yet another light club) as I would have experimented with the single stick / longer rest method to see if I started to see some on course speed benefits.

>

> Edit:

> Just to add, this isn’t a direct dig at Superspeed, this thread is generally positive about the system. The research above also shows it works, they just offer a more efficient way to make it work. Superspeed hasn’t been effective for me and I wanted to find out why. The best answers I can come up with are: no radar, probably the wrong weight set (senior rather than gents), the directive to swing all out (this is now changed with the +18%, +15%, +10% targets within the new protocols) and finally insufficient rest between sets.

Yeah, you definitely need the radar, otherwise you're flying blind. That said, SSG hasn't really worked for me the way my last method of increasing SS did. My most effective method of increasing SS comes on the range, there I intersperse speed training swings with trying to hit a ball fast/hard.

Thanks for the links to Par4Success. There is a bunch of interesting info there.

• Like 1

For those wondering about speed gains with the PlaneMate, I just finished coaching high school golf season and did my first post season status check of my golf game.

When I started golf season my last session with Speed Sticks put me at 98 with a max of 103.

During the season the only thing I have used to work on form and function is the PlaneMate. I have done zero speed work.

First session today with the next round of Speed Sticks put me at 108 starting with a post session swing of 113.

The only thing attributable for the gains is improved swing sequencing with the PlaneMate. Super excited to see what happens with continued speed training and functional gym work while I continue to use the PlaneMate and Speed Sticks.

Just starting back up since golf season is pretty much over here. I'd gotten through intro and Level 1 protocols last winter but plan to carry on into Level 2 or further this winter. I forgot how much work even the intro protocol is! Decided to journal my max swings with each exercise and club again and hopefully can chart my gains. I've gotten these in quick and didn't measure my speeds with driver before and after but in may start doing that as well. Below are my first two sessions.

c90sfwijhppc.jpg

----> See my current WITB
Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9°, Fujikura VENTUS Red 6 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 15° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 18° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Mizuno MP-18 MMC 3 Fli-Hi | 4-PW, Project X LZ 6.5
Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

• 2 weeks later...

> @CardsChamps11 said:

> Has anybody started using a different protocol from what is recommended? I see there is some talk about not using all three sticks but has anyone implemented this method? Any results to share?

Take it for what its worth to you, but the only reason I am in here is because I believe the SSG system to be similar to what I did on my own which was just go to the range 2 or 3 times a week and finish each range session wailing on golf balls hard as I could. I bought the swing speed radar and just kept reaching for new PRs backed by increases in distance. I had since made myself a weight club very similar in design and weight to the red superspeed club. I use that to exercise with in the same manner I did at the range only swinging at a foam ball on a tee. I can monitor my swing speed with this and the radar and go after new PRs. I have never done the SSG protocols in anyways shape or form, I just would swing until exhausted a couple nights a week.

This combined with some improvements in my swing technique (which had a lot of room for improvement) got me from 105 to over 120 mph swing speed today.

Hopefully that helps or tells you that it can work even if not using their methodology.

Swing hard in case you hit it!

I've attempted the SSG system a few times ( and still have it ), but each time I do I lose my swing mechanics. As much as I try to swing in the same manor as I play it always happens. After a week of SSG my swing gets out of whack. Really frustrating as I do believe in the system itself.

DRIVER -     PXG Gen 4 0811X - 8* | 🔥PROXIMA 5S🔥
2 WD -         PXG Gen 4  13* |  🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥

5 / 7 WD-    PXG Gen 5 | Project X Riptide CB 4.0 40g Ladies 

IRONS -       PXG Gen 6 XP DOUBLE BLACK | MMT 80 Stiff                     
WEDGES -  PXG Sugar Daddy II 54*/13 and 58*/10 | MMT 80 Stiff  
GRIPS -       JUMBOMAX ULTRALIGHT XL
PUTTER -   LAB DF 3.0 
BAG -           PXG Staff Bag

I have searched and failed. Likely missed this but has anyone found a system similar to this or created something usable inside with lower (8 ft.) ceilings. I really want to try this but can not swing the clubs in my house without ceiling damage. Longest club I can swing inside is a nine iron. Thanks in advance.

> @clubber said:

> I have searched and failed. Likely missed this but has anyone found a system similar to this or created something usable inside with lower (8 ft.) ceilings. I really want to try this but can not swing the clubs in my house without ceiling damage. Longest club I can swing inside is a nine iron. Thanks in advance.

I haven't seen anything specifically designed for it. SSG makes shorter sets, but those are geared towards juniors so they would likely be way too light, use smaller grips, and have more flexible shafts. That said, it isn't difficult to build a set on your own with some washers and epoxy, so you would build a 9-iron length in the same manner. That approach doesn't really require much in the way of tools to make. I built a set for my kids with a cheap kitchen scale, a hacksaw (not needed if the shaft is already the correct length, and a vice with a rubber club holder (probably not "needed", but makes life easier). Materials are a shaft, grip, grip solvent, washers matching the outer diameter of the shaft tip, a screw matching the inner diameter of the shaft, and a washer matching the size of the screw. If you google "DIY" superspeed, there are pictures of what people did, so you could build something similar using a 9-iron shaft.

Since you'll be swinging "all out", I'm thinking something that is actually a few inches less than your 9-iron might work better as I'm assuming that you might make some swings with a higher follow through. I'm also _assuming_ that you would want the sticks to be closer to the same weight of the Superspeed sticks as opposed to trying to match your 9-iron weight? If you make them the same weight as your driver, the swing weight would also be totally different than the driver -- not sure if that would affect anything? Irons are also swung at a steeper plane than a driver, so do you try to swing the short stick with a flatter plane? Or still use the same plane as the 9-iron?

Your "short" super speed sticks won't be swung as fast as the longer ones. But moving your body and arms faster is still moving your body and arms faster. I've heard of pitchers using SuperSpeed _golf_ to improve their pitching speeds. It's supposedly more of a thing to get your muscles moving faster instead of mimicking the exact movement you are trying to speed up. I'm assuming that the length of the stick matters less than your ability to move your body and arms faster?

I'd definitely be interested in seeing this experiment pan out. Winter basically started here already -- now I'm wondering if perhaps I should build myself a "short" set and see what happens?

First session averaging 107 without killing my form. Just beautiful high cuts all day. Still only 2 weeks into the protocols so a lot of growth to go, but coming from a swing which could vary from 87-97 depending on the day this is a game changer.

54p2qa8n4rza.jpeg

Plot twist:

I hit 117 mph with the middle SpeedStick today. I am giving the study done from Par 4 Success a try for a month which said follow the protocols with just the middle SpeedStick. Doing so would greatly reduce load, decrease potential for injury, and greatly increase speed gains.

1 week in I have gained 5mph on my recorded max and 4 mph on my average swing speed.

> @GolfChannel said:

> Plot twist:

>

> I hit 117 mph with the middle SpeedStick today. I am giving the study done from Par 4 Success a try for a month which said follow the protocols with just the middle SpeedStick. Doing so would greatly reduce load, decrease potential for injury, and greatly increase speed gains.

>

> 1 week in I have gained 5mph on my recorded max and 4 mph on my average swing speed.

Can you post a link to the study, I'm interested in reading it.

• Like 1

----> See my current WITB
Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9°, Fujikura VENTUS Red 6 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 15° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero 18° Tensei AV Blue 75 X
Mizuno MP-18 MMC 3 Fli-Hi | 4-PW, Project X LZ 6.5
Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

> @ddetts said:

> > @GolfChannel said:

> > Plot twist:

> >

> > I hit 117 mph with the middle SpeedStick today. I am giving the study done from Par 4 Success a try for a month which said follow the protocols with just the middle SpeedStick. Doing so would greatly reduce load, decrease potential for injury, and greatly increase speed gains.

> >

> > 1 week in I have gained 5mph on my recorded max and 4 mph on my average swing speed.

>

> Can you post a link to the study, I'm interested in reading it.

What he said!

> @ddetts said:

> > @GolfChannel said:

> > Plot twist:

> >

> > I hit 117 mph with the middle SpeedStick today. I am giving the study done from Par 4 Success a try for a month which said follow the protocols with just the middle SpeedStick. Doing so would greatly reduce load, decrease potential for injury, and greatly increase speed gains.

> >

> > 1 week in I have gained 5mph on my recorded max and 4 mph on my average swing speed.

>

> Can you post a link to the study, I'm interested in reading it.

Same here, tried google and nothing came up

PUTTER -   LAB DF 3.0 

> @SEP1006 said:

> > @ddetts said:

> > > @GolfChannel said:

> > > Plot twist:

> > >

> > > I hit 117 mph with the middle SpeedStick today. I am giving the study done from Par 4 Success a try for a month which said follow the protocols with just the middle SpeedStick. Doing so would greatly reduce load, decrease potential for injury, and greatly increase speed gains.

> > >

> > > 1 week in I have gained 5mph on my recorded max and 4 mph on my average swing speed.

> >

> > Can you post a link to the study, I'm interested in reading it.

>

>

> Same here, tried google and nothing came up

I found this https://par4success.com/articles/are-you-using-overspeed-correctly

I'd be skeptical since the size of each cohort was only 5-7, hardly enough to change your whole routine to the Blue Stick only. I'm assuming the SuperSpeed guys did more extensive research!

• Like 2

Titleist TSI3 8 degree w/Ventus Black 7x
Callaway X Hot Pro 3W 15 degrees
Mizuno CLK Hybrid 16 degrees
Titleist 712U 3 iron w/C-Taper X
Mizuno JPX 921 Tour 4-W w/Project X 6.0
Titleist Vokey Blue Slate SM7 52, 58, 60 w/ DG S400
Odyssey ProType Black #9

> @"Left Rough" said:

> > @SEP1006 said:

> > > @ddetts said:

> > > > @GolfChannel said:

> > > > Plot twist:

> > > >

> > > > I hit 117 mph with the middle SpeedStick today. I am giving the study done from Par 4 Success a try for a month which said follow the protocols with just the middle SpeedStick. Doing so would greatly reduce load, decrease potential for injury, and greatly increase speed gains.

> > > >

> > > > 1 week in I have gained 5mph on my recorded max and 4 mph on my average swing speed.

> > >

> > > Can you post a link to the study, I'm interested in reading it.

> >

> >

> > Same here, tried google and nothing came up

>

> I found this https://par4success.com/articles/are-you-using-overspeed-correctly

>

> I'd be skeptical since the size of each cohort was only 5-7, hardly enough to change your whole routine to the Blue Stick only. I'm assuming the SuperSpeed guys did more extensive research!

That is the study. I have also spoken with the SuperSpeed guys and they take issue with the study and results. While I agree the study has issues to claim legitimate statistical significance I can’t argue with the results so far in only a week of work. It’s only a month commitment and I’m not losing ground, so worth a shot at least.

I will share here as I go.

> @"Left Rough" said:

> > @SEP1006 said:

> > > @ddetts said:

> > > > @GolfChannel said:

> > > > Plot twist:

> > > >

> > > > I hit 117 mph with the middle SpeedStick today. I am giving the study done from Par 4 Success a try for a month which said follow the protocols with just the middle SpeedStick. Doing so would greatly reduce load, decrease potential for injury, and greatly increase speed gains.

> > > >

> > > > 1 week in I have gained 5mph on my recorded max and 4 mph on my average swing speed.

> > >

> > > Can you post a link to the study, I'm interested in reading it.

> >

> >

> > Same here, tried google and nothing came up

>

> I found this https://par4success.com/articles/are-you-using-overspeed-correctly

>

> I'd be skeptical since the size of each cohort was only 5-7, hardly enough to change your whole routine to the Blue Stick only. I'm assuming the SuperSpeed guys did more extensive research!

Also if I read the study correctly the "participants" were also doing the Par 4 Success workouts at the same time.

PUTTER -   LAB DF 3.0