2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Private clubs in Memphis.

swizz

the job is moving me to Memphis by the end of the month. I just found out so I don't even know where I'm going to live. I'll be able to work from home 75% of the time so I'm just going to find a course first then pick a place close to it. Im young enough the "young executive rate" with my budget being $2000 for intiation and $350 monthly max to give you an idea. Being young I think I'll move in the next couple years so I don't want to pay a big intiation.

Here is my list of private courses I've found in Memphis please help me which ones I shouldn't waste my time with as well of any other reviews or others that I've missed.

Olive branch country club- looks very average??

Irene- only 130$ a month for anyone under 35... That is insanely cheap the course must be pretty bad?

Windyke-700 intiation and 185 a month fits the budget easily. Multiple courses is a plus. Seems worth checking out for sure.

Germantown country club- once again fits the budget and the course looks really nice from online.

Colonial country club- course seems to have some history with hosting the st Jude Classic but that was a while ago. Is it still in good shape? Or within budget?

Ridgeway- collierville might be too far outside Memphis but the course and driving range look absolutely stunning.

Spring creek ranch- well I'm 99% sure this one is out of my budget. Hopefully someone tells me otherwise.

And then there's obviously tpc south wind which is also going to be out of my budget.

I've played all the courses you mentioned and best bang for your buck is Wyndke! East course excellent west is okay. Greensboro always great. Practice facility top notch. Now Spring Creek is amazing but pricey. TPC one of my favorites but also expensive. Ridgeway is a very good course but a little farther out of town. It would be my second choice to meet your needs . Good luck

Spring Creek Ranch is the best in that list imo, and most likely more than you want to pay.

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 8*, Tensei AV White 75g
Irons: TaylorMade P790, 5-PW; Mitsubishi MMT 110g
Hybrids: Ping G425 19*
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 60*
Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1, Polar BGT shaft   
Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite Midnight
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B X yellow, Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

Wyndike is pretty great of all those. $300 / month for Mirimichi is probably the best deal of anything. That's a pretty great price but it isnt exactly where I'd want to live.

I lived in Memphis 13 years ago and belonged to Chickasaw Country Club at the time. They did have a young member rate at the time, but can't comment on whether it is still an option today. Fun course, family type club with pool, tennis, weight room, dining, etc. I don't remember the exact rates, but you could call and check.

LEFT HANDED

Titleist TSR3 with Metaflex 5H shaft (currently testing the Proxima 6 stiff shaft)
Titleist TSR2 16.5 degree fwy with Ventus Red 7 stiff shaft
Ping G430 19 and 22 degree hybrids with Ventus Blue HB 8 stiff shaft
Srixon ZX7 mkii 5-PW with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts

Titleist SM9 50F, 54D, 58T wedge with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts
L.A.B. MEZZ Max putter with LAGP putter shaft

I lived in Memphis 13 years ago and belonged to Chickasaw Country Club at the time. They did have a young member rate at the time, but can't comment on whether it is still an option today. Fun course, family type club with pool, tennis, weight room, dining, etc. I don't remember the exact rates, but you could call and check.

They are on the highside of the budget about the same as tpc. I'm looking at memphis country club through google maps but cant find anything on it? Is it just really exclusive?

They are on the highside of the budget about the same as tpc. I'm looking at memphis country club through google maps but cant find anything on it? Is it just really exclusive?

It took the CEO of FedEx 5 years before he could get into MCC. They rarely take anyone who isn't from a traditional Memphis family.

• Like 1

LEFT HANDED

Titleist TSR3 with Metaflex 5H shaft (currently testing the Proxima 6 stiff shaft)
Titleist TSR2 16.5 degree fwy with Ventus Red 7 stiff shaft
Ping G430 19 and 22 degree hybrids with Ventus Blue HB 8 stiff shaft
Srixon ZX7 mkii 5-PW with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts

Titleist SM9 50F, 54D, 58T wedge with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts
L.A.B. MEZZ Max putter with LAGP putter shaft

the job is moving me to Memphis by the end of the month. I just found out so I don't even know where I'm going to live. I'll be able to work from home 75% of the time so I'm just going to find a course first then pick a place close to it. Im young enough the "young executive rate" with my budget being $2000 for intiation and $350 monthly max to give you an idea. Being young I think I'll move in the next couple years so I don't want to pay a big intiation.

Here is my list of private courses I've found in Memphis please help me which ones I shouldn't waste my time with as well of any other reviews or others that I've missed.

Olive branch country club- looks very average??

Irene- only 130$ a month for anyone under 35... That is insanely cheap the course must be pretty bad?

Windyke-700 intiation and 185 a month fits the budget easily. Multiple courses is a plus. Seems worth checking out for sure.

Germantown country club- once again fits the budget and the course looks really nice from online.

Colonial country club- course seems to have some history with hosting the st Jude Classic but that was a while ago. Is it still in good shape? Or within budget?

Ridgeway- collierville might be too far outside Memphis but the course and driving range look absolutely stunning.

Spring creek ranch- well I'm 99% sure this one is out of my budget. Hopefully someone tells me otherwise.

And then there's obviously tpc south wind which is also going to be out of my budget.

Wyndyke is a very good option having 36 holes plus an 18 hole par 3 course that is well maintained.

Cobra LTD X

Titleist TSi2 3W

PXG Hybrid 17/22

Srixon ZX5 5 iron

Srixon ZX7  6-PW

Ping Glide Wedges 2.0 50/54/58

Mizuno M Craft I or IV

Yeah I actually met a guy from Memphis yesterday and he said wyndyke would be the best option since a ton of young people play there. I'm only 25 so I'm trying to meet some guys close to my age to get in a group. Thanks for all the replies. I think it's going to be wyndyke or Chickasaw. The person I talked to at Chickasaw was literally the nicest guy ever and offered to drive me around Memphis and show me where the good places to live are.

I've lived in Collierville for the past 28 years and I'm a member at Windyke.

Spring Creek is the best golf course in the tri-state area IMO. No expense was spared when Spring Creek was built. It my favorite Nicklaus course I've ever played. The clubhouse is incredible and the food is top notch. The last time I checked (about a year go now), Spring Creek was still a by invitation only club. Now, that doesn't mean you can't get in. The club will work with you to meet some people and it can work its way on from there. I'm pretty sure there is a junior membership, but can't recall any of the specifics.

Colonial CC is in a big transition phase right now. It used to be a 36 hole facility, but the North course was closed leaving only the South, the site of the most incredible of all the 59s shot. Find a way on it and play it and you'll leave there saying, "there's no way a guy shot 59 here!". The course is very difficult. Given your age, you may find a good deal here as the club is hungry for membership. I have several clients there and they all love it.

TPC Southwind may have a deal for you as well given your age. It's a good course and has the perk of hosting an annual stop on the PGA Tour. The par 3, 14th hole is the best par 3 in the area.

Windyke, my home club, is the area's very best value. We are a 36 hole facility with an executive 18 hole, par 3 course as well. There is an active tennis membership as well and a nice pool for the summer time too. The East course is a good test of golf and hosts amateur events throughout the year. The East also hosts the Monday qualifier for the FedEx St. Jude Classic. The West course is between 3 to 4 strokes easier depending on who you talk to and a fun play. The club ownership invests back into the facilities well and I've watched money put back into all the courses, so conditions are always good. I'll put the greens at Windyke up against any other course or club in the area. And if you are a range rat, Windyke is your club. Your membership dues cover unlimited access and all the balls you can hit. There's a good short game area for wedge and bunker practice.

Put your concentration on these four clubs. Between these four I think you'll find one that meets your budget given your junior status and will satisfy what you want from a golf perspective.

Ping 425 driver 10.5*

Ping 425 FWs 14.5* & 17.5*

Ping 425 hybrid 22*

Srixon ZX5 5 - PW

Sub 70 286 Forged wedges 48*, 54* & 58*

Piretti 303 Series Cottonwood II putter

I agree with MarkCPA...I played Colonial a few times in college in tournaments back in the early 2000s. Very hard track. The greens were fairly small (at least that's my memory 10+ years later) and had very thick rough surrounding them. It was incredibly difficult to get up and down if you missed a green. Otherwise, though, I loved the course.

• 1 month later...

Sorry for the old post bump but figured it might be helpful.

TPC Southwind is boarderline for your budget ( just joined myself, PM me for details). Ridgeway and Germantown are going to be boarderline too so if it came down to those three I would go TPC.

I would stay away from Irene, it is extremely crowded......

Colonial is the best bang for the buck right now in Memphis. Outstanding clubhouse and course and they are pretty low on membership right now so play should not be a problem. I almost went this route instead of TPC. If I lived closer to the course it would have been a no-brainer to join.

If you are looking at Windyke and just want golf I would also look at Memphis National. Around the same price, two courses, etc.

Spring Creek is pretty exclusive and fairly expensive. Good luck :)

• 2 weeks later...

I've noticed via Facebook and just driving by Memphis National that a lot of work is being done there right now. Looks like a lot of bunker improvements are being made.

Ping 425 driver 10.5*

Ping 425 FWs 14.5* & 17.5*

Ping 425 hybrid 22*

Srixon ZX5 5 - PW

Sub 70 286 Forged wedges 48*, 54* & 58*

Piretti 303 Series Cottonwood II putter

My favorites in Memphis are Ridgeway and Spring Creek, if money is same for both it would be hard to choose a favorite. Spring Creek wins overall, but Ridgeway is my favorite layout and great old style. Spring Creek is a long way out but love the clubhouse and extras, also the owner(Dr Meyer) is super nice. Rob's place at the back of the range is excellent. Wyndyke would be my next choice 2 great courses but always crowded.

Callaway Paradym TD Ventus 6S Black Velocore
TM Sim2 3 wood Tour AD DI 7x
TM Sim 5 wood Ventus Blue Velocore 8x
Mizuno JPX 923 Modus 120x 
Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide
Vokeys SM9 56,60

• 2 years later...
  • 3 months later...

Sorry, for some reason I never got a notification about the respond so I figured no one answered. Initiation I’m thinking around 3,000 and looking for the $300-$400 a month. Have a coworker who is a member at colonial and he loves it. Saw Memphis National is in my price range with no initiation, but was wondering on the other country clubs.

• 8 months later...

Sorry for bumping such on old thread, but I'm moving to Memphis in a couple months and looking to join a club.  I've done a decent amount of research and from the old posts above I'm thinking TPC or Colonial.  Trying to use the membership not only for fun, but a good networking opportunity as well.  TPC looks great and is in my budget, but Colonial seems hard to beat with no initiation and very cheap dues for the young member rate.  Just wondering how they're doing with the renovations and restructuring over the last couple years. Any other courses worth checking out?  Thanks in advance.

Wow. That’s great deal at Colonial. Not sure how much Spring Creek Ranch are but that is the cream of the crop in Memphis if you ask me.  

TPC is awesome tho and very hard.  

• 3 weeks later...
15 hours ago, Minksy Momentum said:

Any thoughts on Chickasaw? I’m moving to south midtown in the next month and want something close - all the clubs listed above are 20+ minutes east. From what I’ve heard, Memphis CC is likely a pipe dream.

Chickasaw did a huge remodel a year or two ago. Changed greens and several holes. I haven't played it since the remodel but both Memphis CC and Chickasaw were pretty similar to me. Neither are my favorites in Memphis but both are very nice courses. 

Callaway Paradym TD Ventus 6S Black Velocore
TM Sim2 3 wood Tour AD DI 7x
TM Sim 5 wood Ventus Blue Velocore 8x
Mizuno JPX 923 Modus 120x 
Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide
Vokeys SM9 56,60

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/1/2021 at 10:47 PM, Minksy Momentum said:

Any thoughts on Chickasaw? I’m moving to south midtown in the next month and want something close - all the clubs listed above are 20+ minutes east. From what I’ve heard, Memphis CC is likely a pipe dream.

Chickasaw has some quirky holes

imo. But it’s maintained well and a solid course. Really the only option inside Memphis that would be close to you. Has a good young membership as well. 

Just got an invite to a wedding being hosted at Memphis CC next April and will be flying out from LA. First time ever in the area and wanted to bring the sticks with me for a couple of rounds. 

Knowing that I have awhile to arrange something, was wondering where people thought it best to spend my efforts. Shoot for MCC or Chickasaw, head out to Southwind, or maybe something like The Ridges at Village Creek? Is there anything else in the area that I should have on my radar for when I start putting out feelers?

M3 Diamana B70X
M1 15* Diamana B80X / MP20 HMB 2 Iron AD-DI 105X

718TMB 3 Iron Modus 120X
MP20 MMC 4-PW Modus 120X
SM8 50,54,58 Modus 120X
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

On 4/6/2021 at 5:57 PM, uscfandan said:

Just got an invite to a wedding being hosted at Memphis CC next April and will be flying out from LA. First time ever in the area and wanted to bring the sticks with me for a couple of rounds. 

Knowing that I have awhile to arrange something, was wondering where people thought it best to spend my efforts. Shoot for MCC or Chickasaw, head out to Southwind, or maybe something like The Ridges at Village Creek? Is there anything else in the area that I should have on my radar for when I start putting out feelers?

Unless you have a member to play with, getting on any of the private clubs (MCC, TPC Southwind, etc.) is going to be difficult. Although I guess if you're trying a year out in advance you might be able to find an "in" at one of them.

You might be better off looking into some public courses in the area. I'd categorize them as sort of in the middle ground in terms of conditioning, but Mirimichi and Cherokee Valley (in Mississippi) are within driving distance of Memphis.

• 2 months later...
On 4/6/2021 at 5:57 PM, uscfandan said:

You won't get on the course at MCC, unfortunately.