Frost Delays: Tee Time Delay

10 hours ago, Mr. Bean said:

Which BST you mean: What does BST stand for?

This is a thread about frost delays.  BST stands for Best Start Time when dealing with frost delays. 

I posted in this thread back in 2017. I still hate frost delays and don't agree with how they are handled. 

Why when I think ahead and plan for a frost delay by making my tee time around 10 or so and when I show up for my time I am the one that is waiting an hr or more to tee off? I feel if you want to risk making an early tee time then you should be the one that is fitted in around the tee times that are made after a frost delay. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, North Butte said:

It's amazing how often I learn on this forum about things are absolutely, totally foreign to anything I've experienced in my three decades of playing golf. What a wide world golf is. 

I've never in my life played at a course that turns away folks with early tee times when there's a frost delay. Not when I used to play at public courses, not at the three private clubs I've belonged to, not at resort courses. Never. 

If there's a frost delay, as soon as it ends the first group of the day goes out and other groups follow in the order of their tee times. Every time I've ever called the pro shop on a frost delay morning, I've been told something along the lines of "There's going to be a one-to-two hour frost delay, your 10:00 tee time will go off some time after 11:00". 

I've been playing golf for 30+ years too. I understand how frost delays are handled. I just don't agree with the system. I have no intention of going out early morning on a day of a frost delay but to play the system I make my early tee time so I can head on out around 10 and leave the 10am tee times waiting around for several hours. 

I guess there is no good way to handle a frost delay.  I make my early tee time, call the course in the morning, get an idea of how long of a delay and show up closer to tee off time. It works for me.

Edited by Greenie
  • Like 1

Hopefully the course takes time of the year and weather history in establishing the time that tee times will start. In the fall, our course will set the first tee time at 10 AM, which allows time for the maintenance crew and also recognizes the potential that frost might delay maintenance and thus tee times. We follow the booked tee time procedure, first booked, first out after any delay. Nobody complains. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Greenie said:

This is a thread about frost delays.  BST stands for Best Start Time when dealing with frost delays. 

I posted in this thread back in 2017. I still hate frost delays and don't agree with how they are handled. 

Why when I think ahead and plan for a frost delay by making my tee time around 10 or so and when I show up for my time I am the one that is waiting an hr or more to tee off? I feel if you want to risk making an early tee time then you should be the one that is fitted in around the tee times that are made after a frost delay. 

14 hours ago, Mr. Bean said:

Which BST you mean: What does BST stand for?

Pretty sure it was in reference to 75 posts needed for the classifieds on this forum.  Classifieds = BST or Buy, Sell, Trade.

• Like 1

Tour Edge Exotics:  Irons and Woods

Cleveland:  Wedges

Odyssey:  Putter

5 hours ago, North Butte said:

It's amazing how often I learn on this forum about things are absolutely, totally foreign to anything I've experienced in my three decades of playing golf. What a wide world golf is. 

I've never in my life played at a course that turns away folks with early tee times when there's a frost delay. Not when I used to play at public courses, not at the three private clubs I've belonged to, not at resort courses. Never. 

If there's a frost delay, as soon as it ends the first group of the day goes out and other groups follow in the order of their tee times. Every time I've ever called the pro shop on a frost delay morning, I've been told something along the lines of "There's going to be a one-to-two hour frost delay, your 10:00 tee time will go off some time after 11:00". 

Isn't it remarkable indeed? In my country tee times are always cancelled and not postponed. Always. Nothing else would make any sense.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, rogolf said:

Hopefully the course takes time of the year and weather history in establishing the time that tee times will start. In the fall, our course will set the first tee time at 10 AM, which allows time for the maintenance crew and also recognizes the potential that frost might delay maintenance and thus tee times. We follow the booked tee time procedure, first booked, first out after any delay. Nobody complains

Same here, nobody complains. Everyone knows the risks of booking an early tee time and accepts the risk.

It's a fairly pointless argument.  Either the early bookers lose their tee time and no-one loses out at the end of the day, or the early bookers get a delayed start and those booked towards the end of the day lose out.     At the moment my course is frost and snowbound, everyone loses out and so in equity we can all have a moan.  

There is an alternative. I've played several courses this past year that used a shotgun start if there was more than a short delay. 'Not ideal if you're walking, as you might wind up starting on a hole a mile away from the clubhouse, but it does allow the later tee times to stay on their original schedule, while getting the delayed slots out on the course.

• Like 1

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

3 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

There is an alternative. I've played several courses this past year that used a shotgun start if there was more than a short delay. 'Not ideal if you're walking, as you might wind up starting on a hole a mile away from the clubhouse, but it does allow the later tee times to stay on their original schedule, while getting the delayed slots out on the course.

Not a bad idea at all.

6 hours ago, Colin L said:

It's a fairly pointless argument.  Either the early bookers lose their tee time and no-one loses out at the end of the day, or the early bookers get a delayed start and those booked towards the end of the day lose out.     At the moment my course is frost and snowbound, everyone loses out and so in equity we can all have a moan.  

But... had they booked a tee time..?

In this thread someone mentioned golf resorts and tee times booked monts in advance. Certainly a fair point to defend why frost delays should postpone the tee times, but...

It occurs that people tend to book a tee time at their convenience. Sometimes they may have a later engagement and they have booked their tee time accordingly, say at 11:30 am. Now, there is a frost delay until 10:30 and there are booked tee times from 7:30. This means that those who have a later engagement have to renounce their place in the queue and give up the round altogether even though they were clever enough to anticipate the frost delay.

I leave this to everyone to ponder. To me it is clear as a day.

• Like 1

Most courses around here won't book early times if frost is expected.  Those that do have temp greens.  Every situation is different I suppose.  Here in the PNW we have many micro climates.  The course next to my house might be frost free but drive 10 miles in any direction and it could be frosty or vice versa.

I've only experienced golf here.  If it's a late frost delay and the course is booked up a shotgun start happens,  If it's a matter of a half hour or so (usually the case) then the situation is triaged with 9 hole only groups going off the back and non foursomes getting paired up.  A few courses will let play happen on frozen greens.

Until now I've never heard of a public course cancelling a tee time because of unexpected frost.  The things I learn on wrx!

Tour Edge Exotics:  Irons and Woods

Cleveland:  Wedges

Odyssey:  Putter

2 hours ago, Mr. Bean said:

Not a bad idea at all.

Also you need everyone to be there for the shotgun. So if you have an hour delay you need all those who are playing at ten am for example to have turned up. Plus it kind of kills the afternoon field too. So if first tee time is 7:30, delay one hour and have a shotgun start at 8:30, you need everyone playing before 12:30 to tee off. 

As an early player I'm beginning to think the only fair way is to cancel the early times. Unless you have generous tee times and just squeeze the first few groups. My former course used to have them occasionally in a city that hadn't had a frost in about two decades, way too sensitive.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, North Butte said:

Bravo.  This is exactly how it is and should be handled.  

my course for instance is semi private.  Way more public play than membership.   They do however block early times on Saturday and Sunday and also 2-3 times at 1230 on Sunday for members.  Now these members play those times weekly Like clock work.  If a guy can’t get some preference for paying dues whether he plays or not , what’s the point ?  

• Like 2

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

11 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

That is what our club does, at least for the member population. This works because if it is cold enough to create a frost delay, some of the member groups will be dropping out anyway. So the 'doubling up' when the early starters get back to the first hole is usually manageable. I don't know what happens on the resort side of our club. But I feel confident that anyone who is staying there with booked rounds, gets on their course of choice (WRT frost delays, anyway). 

dave

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

Except in a lot of cases unoless it’s managed exceptionally well.  You’re shotgun players will be coming through the 1st tee for their remaining holes when the late morning early afternoon times are teeing off.  Crested quite the fuster cluck.  

• Like 2

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

18 hours ago, Newby said:

Fortunately we have two loops of 9 with the 10th not too far away from the clubhouse. When the course reopens after fog etc the first groups are allowed to start on the 10th for 1 3/4 hours (ie before anyone reaches the 9th green)

What happens after those having started from 10th reach the 1st tee ?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Carolina Golfer 2 said:

Except in a lot of cases unoless it’s managed exceptionally well.  You’re shotgun players will be coming through the 1st tee for their remaining holes when the late morning early afternoon times are teeing off.  Crested quite the fuster cluck.  

If the shotgun start is on all 18 holes, yes. But if it is made cleverly starting from 1, 18, 17, 16, etc. then the last group will pass 1st tee before there is the "next" tee time.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Mr. Bean said:

If the shotgun start is on all 18 holes, yes. But if it is made cleverly starting from 1, 18, 17, 16, etc. then the last group will pass 1st tee before there is the "next" tee time.

You are correct aboit the modified shotgun start.  

Unfortunately I was caught a couple times at a course that used all 18 holes and didn’t even care about the afternoon mess as the Pro was out of there by then 🤦

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

At our winter tracks, there are no tee times to be booked.  First come, first served.

Luckily we have some guys in our group with nothing else to do and will go sign up our groups and let the rest know approximately what time the rest need to be arrive.

In the spring and fall, you don't change your batting order due to frost.

• Like 1

X________________________________ Sign Here

On 12/11/2022 at 5:25 PM, 2bGood said:

They would not be called frost delays. They would be called frost cancellations. 

I know a few places that connect the day to shotguns start when frost issue come up. 

So if I book a 9:20a tee time, and the frost delay is lifted at 9:30a (for the 9:30a slot), I'm out of luck?

With a 9:20a tee-time, if it's unknown when a delay will be lifted ("um, sometime around 9-9:30a"), I'm expected to wait around to see if i'll even get out? 

If it's expected to be lifted at 9:00a, but gets extended until 9:30a (I have the same 9:20a tee-time), I'm still out of luck?

Nah, bro. Find me another club to join. 

Edited by RCGA
  • Thanks 1

Ping G430 Max 10.5* w/ GD Tour AD TP
TaylorMade Stealth 2+ 18* w/ GD Tour AD DI

Srixon ZX MkII 19* & 24* w/x100
Titleist T100s w/ PX 6.5

Vokey SM9 48-52-56-61 w/ PX 6.5

Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Mil Spec  

3 hours ago, RCGA said:

So if I book a 9:20a tee time, and the frost delay is lifted at 9:30a (for the 9:30a slot), I'm SOL? 

If it's unknown when a delay will be lifted ("um, sometime around 9-9:30a"), I'm expected to wait around to see if i'll even get out? 

If it's expected to be lifted at 9:00a, but gets extended until 9:30a (I have the same 9:20a tee-time), I'm still SOL? 

Nah, bro. Find me another club to join. 

What is SOL?