2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Frost Delays: Tee Time Delay

20 hours ago, RCGA said:

So if I book a 9:20a tee time, and the frost delay is lifted at 9:30a (for the 9:30a slot), I'm out of luck?

With a 9:20a tee-time, if it's unknown when a delay will be lifted ("um, sometime around 9-9:30a"), I'm expected to wait around to see if i'll even get out? 

If it's expected to be lifted at 9:00a, but gets extended until 9:30a (I have the same 9:20a tee-time), I'm still out of luck?

Nah, bro. Find me another club to join. 

Frost situations are not good, no matter which format you chose to resolve it.  Someone is always going to be pissed off. 

I prefer to, once the frost delay has ended, to start at the top of the draw and work my way down.  If the group is not ready or there, you move on.  The problem with that is that the entire day can be affected, groups that arrive hours after the frost has lifted, being delayed for a long period of time.  Sometimes it resolves itself in a few hours, but sometimes it never does and you have to explain and deal with upset customers for the whole day.

At a heavily booked members course, it might seem unfair, but cancelling anything before the frost lifts is likely the easiest to deal with and doesn't screw the entire rest of the day.  Especially if there is an event booked in the pm and you have all manner of things that need to happen at the proper time (primarily staff and food catering).  You just can't tell them that they will be delayed 2 hours and the food service will be compromised due to the delay.

• Like 1

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45"

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM2 52º cc, SM4 56°, SM4 60°
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

16 hours ago, Mr. Bean said:

What is SOL?

You really need to get in touch with your acronyms.   Google is your friend. FYI, YMMV.

• Haha 1

MCC Align Midsize

1 hour ago, Socrates said:

You really need to get in touch with your acronyms.   Google is your friend. FYI, YMMV.

So if your primary language is Turkish but you do know some rudimentary German, you should learn German acronyms?  🤔

Incidentally google returned 106 answers for SOL

Edited by Newby

4 hours ago, Newby said:

So if your primary language is Turkish but you do know some rudimentary German, you should learn German acronyms?  🤔

Probably should at least know that sechs is not sex.

Tour Edge Exotics:  Irons and Woods

Cleveland:  Wedges

Odyssey:  Putter

A delay is the most fair - everyone gets to play golf

Cancellations would just encourage my group to double book. We'd book our regular time at 7:30a and then someone will book a 9:30a slot with 3 holds (member course, 7-day advance bookings). 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Ping G430 Max 10.5* w/ GD Tour AD TP
TaylorMade Stealth 2+ 18* w/ GD Tour AD DI

Srixon ZX MkII 19* & 24* w/x100
Titleist T100s w/ PX 6.5

Vokey SM9 48-52-56-61 w/ PX 6.5

Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Mil Spec  

25 minutes ago, RCGA said:

If the course is packed the last players either cannot start at all or manage to play 9 holes if even that.

I am rather sure that quite a few people will not wait for a couple of hours on site so not everyone gets to play in any case.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, RCGA said:

Cancellations would just encourage my group to double book. We'd book our regular time at 7:30a and then someone will book a 9:30a slot with 3 holds (member course, 7-day advance bookings). 

Yeah I can see private course members doing that. I know a lot of courses in my area have you put CC holds on times nowadays, public courses obviously

It's actually a good thing, here in the bitter cold of FL people will book times in advance but if it's only 50 no show and leave the course empty. Of course there was some complaints, but what I know from my experience and talking to pro shops workers, they use it to find those that no show often and don't call to cancel and just charge them. I've called like 2 hours before to cancel for injury and they looked me up and were fine with it.

8 hours ago, Newby said:

Quite possibly.  I've had to look up a number of acronyms over the years.  Anyone under 30 has them all down.  Those of us over 50, have some issues.  Der Google isn't foolproof though.  Even ones I know, but don't see often, give me pause and I have to figure them out.  WRX is easy.  Instagram is sometimes a head-scratcher.  Sometimes I'm a plonker.

MCC Align Midsize

16 hours ago, Socrates said:

Quite possibly.  I've had to look up a number of acronyms over the years.  Anyone under 30 has them all down.  Those of us over 50, have some issues.  Der Google isn't foolproof though.  Even ones I know, but don't see often, give me pause and I have to figure them out.  WRX is easy.  Instagram is sometimes a head-scratcher.  Sometimes I'm a plonker.

Such bs.

People invent abbreviations (which you call acronyms, for some mysterious reason) faster than anyone can follow. Same goes with words and phrases. Gareth from Yorktown decides that "fellow" means intercourse and there we are. Next month all the youngsters talk about going to have a fellow. That makes absolutely no sense, no more than the abundant "acronyms".

Written language is supposed to be written, simply for clarity. If one does not have time to write it in plain words, stay away. You must have much more important things to do in your life than hanging around on web sites writing "acronyms".

• Like 1

Our course does a nice job of getting everyone out and playing post frost delay....and yes, we go in order of booked tee times.  Having 3 nines helps spread out the crowd so to speak.

• Like 1

Paradym 9.5

Rogue ST Max HL 3wd (really a 4wd)

Apex Pro 21 3 & 4

Apex 21 Mixed Combo Set 5-A

Jaws 5 54* C-grind

PM Grind 2.0  58*

Odyssey Exo Mini 7s

52 minutes ago, Mr. Bean said:

Such bs.

People invent abbreviations (which you call acronyms, for some mysterious reason) faster than anyone can follow. Same goes with words and phrases. Gareth from Yorktown decides that "fellow" means intercourse and there we are. Next month all the youngsters talk about going to have a fellow. That makes absolutely no sense, no more than the abundant "acronyms".

Written language is supposed to be written, simply for clarity. If one does not have time to write it in plain words, stay away. You must have much more important things to do in your life than hanging around on web sites writing "acronyms".

I did not say you had to use them, but if you do not keep up with at least some of it, you will be left wondering about what the hell people are talking about.  Most times, clarity in writing is needed to properly convey what you are saying.  Many times an abbreviation has a meaning unto itself and can be used to succinctly convey a thought or message, quickly.  The UK, (as does any region) have an entire lexicon of single words that are idiomatic to that country and are commonly used, much like abbreviations on the internet, (i.e. 'skint' or 'result') that anyone outside of the UK would have no clue what they are talking about.  Use whatever form you like, but it is important to keep expanding your knowledge base, even if you do not use them. 

Edited by Socrates
  • Like 1

MCC Align Midsize

1 hour ago, Mr. Bean said:

Such bs.

Did you really start this excessive rant about acronyms with an acronym as a joke, or what? FWIW, this particular acronym is really common here in the US. So why not complain about 'US centric' use of English instead. 

dave

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Socrates said:

I did not say you had to use them, but if you do not keep up with at least some of it, you will be left wondering about what the hell people are talking about.  Most times, clarity in writing is needed to properly convey what you are saying.  Many times an abbreviation has a meaning unto itself and can be used to succinctly convey a thought or message, quickly.  The UK, (as does any region) have an entire lexicon of single words that are idiomatic to that country and are commonly used, much like abbreviations on the internet, (i.e. 'skint' or 'result') that anyone outside of the UK would have no clue what they are talking about.  Use whatever form you like, but it is important to keep expanding your knowledge base, even if you do not use them. 

How about yobs?  Got yobs?  Lol.

I drove past my local course this morning.  It was frozen with no hope of thawing today.  People were still out playing but the course had the temporary greens in play.

I realized that I used to be one of those people who would play a frozen course just to be out.  Not anymore.

• Like 1

Tour Edge Exotics:  Irons and Woods

Cleveland:  Wedges

Odyssey:  Putter

2 hours ago, DaveLeeNC said:

Did you really start this excessive rant about acronyms with an acronym as a joke, or what? FWIW, this particular acronym is really common here in the US. So why not complain about 'US centric' use of English instead. 

dave

I wonder how you thought this was "US centric" ? You must be US-centered...

3 hours ago, DaveLeeNC said:

dave

Everyone has their triggers.  FWIW, mine is bad grammar and lack of punctuation.  I automatically think less of people who don't take the time to use either.  

• Like 2

MCC Align Midsize

15 hours ago, Shilgy said:

I look at it this way……if you just cancel the times before the resumption of play there will most certainly be holes in the tee sheet. Which means lost revenues to the course.  Because there will always be those that cancel their time because it is too cold to play.

On the other hand, or is it OTOH🙄,  if play goes off in the original order but delayed the tee sheet will likely still be filled for the day.  And as the day goes on the delay will get smaller due to cancellations.

Every club I have seen in the US sends players off in the original order.

I believe that is the main reason for differences. Here in Finland virtually nobody pays to play in that late fall when there are frost delays but all the players have unlimited access, so they do not pay anything extra for any additional round on their home course. Thus there is no or extremely small loss of income for the course due to cancelled tee times. And if someone would actually pay for the round they would certainly book their tee time so late in the day that it will not be cancelled.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Mr. Bean said:

I believe that is the main reason for differences. Here in Finland virtually nobody pays to play in that late fall when there are frost delays but all the players have unlimited access, so they do not pay anything extra for any additional round on their home course. Thus there is no or extremely small loss of income for the course due to cancelled tee times. And if someone would actually pay for the round they would certainly book their tee time so late in the day that it will not be cancelled.

Koska Suomessa on maalaisjärkeä ja USA:ssa ei niin paljon.

• Haha 4

24 minutes ago, Newby said:

Floridan sää on kuitenkin Suomea lämpimämpi 

But there are seldom frost delays in Florida.

Oops, sorry. Mutta Floridassa on harvoin pakkasviiveitä

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

On 12/5/2022 at 2:12 PM, Newby said:

So?

Was it really worth resurrecting such an old thread for that exciting nugget of information?

It would seem so. hysterical2.gif

• Like 1

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X