Actual distance of LPGA courses

dhc1

Does anyone have any specific information as to what the actual playing distance is for a specific round (preferably at sea-level)? My guess is that it's meaningfully below the listed distance as tournaments (rightly) want to add a bunch of risk/reward holes and that shortens the course quite a bit even though they list the (clearly-wrong) distance on TV. Thanks in advance.

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

~6400 yards.

sometimes less.

on occasion more. For instance, that course they play at Indian Wells or wherever the Dinah Shore tourney is located is 6700 supposedly. But it doesn't play that length at ALL. Desert course, super firm runway fairways...

I honestly don't know how firm and fast they get the fairways for the Dinah Shore. I did play it last year a couple of months prior to the tournament and it was anything but fast and firm. Played extremely long.

Playing it again 3 weeks from today.

Thanks for the prompt reply. I'd love to get actual data from a specific tourney, preferably by hole (e.g., which exact tee box they actually played from).

The first domestic tourney is March 14-19 in Phoenix which is listed at 6548 yards. Maybe someone will be able to take a look at how they specifically set up the course over the four days and see if it's close to that. It's really hard for me to tell on TV unfortunately although I believe that they don't play the stated hole distance frequently.

Let's say your suspicions could somehow be confirmed. They claim 6450, but they're really playing from 6280. Now what?

Kymar,

I think we'd have a factual basis on which tee box most amateurs should play from as LPGA players swing speed is pretty close to amateurs and we'd finally put to rest the whole 4 handicap vs. LPGA players, which IMO is just ludicrous but there is a corresponding level. I think the basic bid/ask spread is +2 to scratch, which is quite impressive at either end IMO.

~6400 yards.

sometimes less.

on occasion more. For instance, that course they play at Indian Wells or wherever the Dinah Shore tourney is located is 6700 supposedly. But it doesn't play that length at ALL. Desert course, super firm runway fairways...

Played the Diana Shore tourney course back in October and played the tourney tee boxes. I'm not long and I didn't think it played that long. Hit driver and hybrid (19*) into 18.

Mizuno JPX900 EvoIII S (weights center channel port 1 & 2)
Mizuno GT190 Atmos Blue 6S
Mizuno CLK 19* Speeder EVO HB S
Titleist 4i AMT S300
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5-G KBS Tour
Mizuno S18 54.8/58.8
Carbon Ringo 1/4
Balls : 2017 ProV1x / KSig / Vice Pro+

~6400 yards.

sometimes less.

Played the Diana Shore tourney course back in October and played the tourney tee boxes. I'm not long and I didn't think it played that long. Hit driver and hybrid (19*) into 18.

Do you remember how far you had for the 2nd shot? It's 531 from the tournament tees.

I played Magnolia Grove last year, and the LPGA either goes through still, or was going thru there, and I played it from the orange (?) iirc on the color, and that's what the starter said the LPGA used. It was upper mid 6000's, and that's what I assume they would generally be playing. Fun course, and a nice yardage for a manageable challenge.

Regardless of their distances, I never forget the fact that they are more efficient ball strikers, and that's pretty impressive.

Longest LPGA driver is Joanna Klaten at 280yds, Lexi Thompson 2nd at 277 yes, #1 player Inbee Park at 250yds, #2 player Lydia Ko at 247yds.

There is a lot of roll to LPGA fairways and rarely fairway bunkers.

Texsport

Mizuno GT180 10.5*/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 5 X
Tour Edge Exotics CB F2 PRO 15.5* Limited/Speeder 757 EVO 7.1X (Gene Sauers club)
Titleist 915 18*/Fubuki K 80X
Titleist 913 Hybrid 21*/Tour Blue 105X (Matt Jones' club) (OR) TM Burner 4-iron/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Wilson Staff V4 5 and 6/Aerotech Fibersteel 110 S
MacGregor PRO M 7-PM/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Edel 50*/KBS 610 S
Scratch JMO Grind Don White 56*/DG X-100
Cobra Trusty Rusty Tour 64*/DG S-200
The Cure CX2 putter

Let's say your suspicions could somehow be confirmed. They claim 6450, but they're really playing from 6280. Now what?

Kymar,

I think we'd have a factual basis on which tee box most amateurs should play from as LPGA players swing speed is pretty close to amateurs and we'd finally put to rest the whole 4 handicap vs. LPGA players, which IMO is just ludicrous but there is a corresponding level. I think the basic bid/ask spread is +2 to scratch, which is quite impressive at either end IMO.

That is insane if people think that's true, IMO.

I'm not a 4, but I'm not far off, and the majority of my rounds are played in the mid-mid high 6000's, and I've never come close to shooting -4, -5, regardless of distance. I mean, if you take a look at most score cards, it's not like there's a 10 stroke spread from the middle tee's to the back tees, and often times a longer layout is more receptive to better players.

I've also played with several people who are better than 4 handicaps, and they don't put up those numbers either.

~6400 yards.

sometimes less.

Do you remember how far you had for the 2nd shot? It's 531 from the tournament tees.

Just a hair over 200 to carry the water. I will say that we got ton of roll when we played even in Oct. I don't recall it playing close to 531.

Mizuno JPX900 EvoIII S (weights center channel port 1 & 2)
Mizuno GT190 Atmos Blue 6S
Mizuno CLK 19* Speeder EVO HB S
Titleist 4i AMT S300
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5-G KBS Tour
Mizuno S18 54.8/58.8
Carbon Ringo 1/4
Balls : 2017 ProV1x / KSig / Vice Pro+

Not many amateur players have good short games - which is where more than half of amateur strokes are utilized.

Really long hitters often don't score much better on short courses because they have to bag the driver, for the sake of accuracy, thereby losing a bit of their distance advantage.

Scratch amateurs and pros do score much better on short courses because they don't bag the driver and hit wedge 2nd shots to many greens.

Texsport

Mizuno GT180 10.5*/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 5 X
Tour Edge Exotics CB F2 PRO 15.5* Limited/Speeder 757 EVO 7.1X (Gene Sauers club)
Titleist 915 18*/Fubuki K 80X
Titleist 913 Hybrid 21*/Tour Blue 105X (Matt Jones' club) (OR) TM Burner 4-iron/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Wilson Staff V4 5 and 6/Aerotech Fibersteel 110 S
MacGregor PRO M 7-PM/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Edel 50*/KBS 610 S
Scratch JMO Grind Don White 56*/DG X-100
Cobra Trusty Rusty Tour 64*/DG S-200
The Cure CX2 putter

~6400 yards.

sometimes less.

It doesn't play that distance - and that they move it up at least one day each year so "everyone" can go for with a drive in the FW.

Didn't Arya hit 2 iron, 5iron on Saturday last year (sunday she rinsed one quick left). Or was that two years ago, I can't remember.

~6400 yards.

sometimes less.

Just a hair over 200 to carry the water. I will say that we got ton of roll when we played even in Oct. I don't recall it playing close to 531.

They alternate tee boxes on the 18th at the ANA.

They play it over 500 yds Thurs & Sat and under 500 yds Fri & Sun.

It's also a bit of a dog leg left.

I find that most doglegs, assuming you put your tee shot in the right position, play shorter that the posted yardage.

Does anyone have any specific information as to what the actual playing distance is for a specific round (preferably at sea-level)? My guess is that it's meaningfully below the listed distance as tournaments (rightly) want to add a bunch of risk/reward holes and that shortens the course quite a bit even though they list the (clearly-wrong) distance on TV. Thanks in advance.

It would be near impossible to determine unless you attended the event and went to each hole.

The set-up the course different on each day.

Most of the time the commentators just say the yardage that was originally posted for the hole....not accounting that the tee block has been moved up unless it's too obvious to ignore.

Most LPGA coverages also don't cover the front 9....so there's no discussion how those holes are played that day.

It would be near impossible to determine unless you attended the event and went to each hole.

The set-up the course different on each day.

Most of the time the commentators just say the yardage that was originally posted for the hole....not accounting that the tee block has been moved up unless it's too obvious to ignore.

Most LPGA coverages also don't cover the front 9....so there's no discussion how those holes are played that day.

I agree - although i think they ignore a lot that are obvious. I'm hoping that someone is at an event or is a member at an club with an event where they know exactly what they play.

come to think of it, I'm not sure why the LPGA doesn't share this and wonder if it's important to them to appear to play from longer distances (which would be silly in my view as it's against the "Play It Forward" concept).

The USGA reports course statistics for each day of the US Opens. The yardage listed for the US Women's Open tees at CordeValle is 6762. USGA reported the playing yardages to be 6783, 6694, 6715 and 6718. The listed yardage for the 2016 US Open tees at Oakmont is 7254. USGA reported the playing yardages to be 7274, 7179, 7170 and 7229.

So for both men and women the "typical" set up is a playing yardage of slightly under the yardage for the US Open tees. I assume this is the case for other PGA and LPGA tournaments.

~6400 yards.

sometimes less.

They alternate tee boxes on the 18th at the ANA.

They play it over 500 yds Thurs & Sat and under 500 yds Fri & Sun.

It's also a bit of a dog leg left.

I find that most doglegs, assuming you put your tee shot in the right position, play shorter that the posted yardage.

It can play as short as 485 and, while it can be played longer than 531, I doubt that they ever do. And, like you mentioned, it plays a little under those yardages due to a slight dogleg.

Talking about Mission Hills CC, where they play the Dinah Shore/Kraft Nabisco/ANA LPGA major, one of the things that I find interesting about the course is how it is definitely not a lady-friendly course for the average female golfer. Plays almost 5700 from the Red (shortest) tees. Way too long for the average female golfer who might drive the ball 150-175 at best.

Kymar,

As long as there is a make ego, especially golf ego, that argument will never be put to rest. Its more than about pure distance anyway.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

Not sure what the point of a thread like this is other than a bunch of guys trying to say the lpga is not that good. I know in Phoenix they played the old Ping event at Moon Valley at 6600. Currently at Wildfire it is about the same. For instance the second hole is a 550 yard par five. ALWAYS played from that tee, never up, and a few of the women reach in two.

Titleist TSR4 9° Tensei AV White 65

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TSR3 24° Diamana Ahina

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

Not sure what the point of a thread like this is other than a bunch of guys trying to say the lpga is not that good. I know in Phoenix they played the old Ping event at Moon Valley at 6600. Currently at Wildfire it is about the same. For instance the second hole is a 550 yard par five. ALWAYS played from that tee, never up, and a few of the women reach in two.

Anyone trying to say that the LPGA is not that good is sorely misinformed or simply ignorant.

Anyone trying to say that the LPGA is not that good is sorely misinformed or simply ignorant.

I do not think anyone on who takes the time to post on a golf forum would think that LPGA players are not good.....I think many would say that they play on fairly short courses.

I do not think anyone on who takes the time to post on a golf forum would think that LPGA players are not good.....I think many would say that they play on fairly short courses.

Ha, you would be surprised. There are some dumbos on here. Check out the LPGA vs 4 handicap or LPGA vs college player threads for evidence.

And I would say that, comparatively speaking, they play a longer course than the men do for how far they hit the ball.

And I would say that, comparatively speaking, they play a longer course than the men do for how far they hit the ball.

The short hitting ladies definitely do.