Most overlooked?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, this is a debate!

I think the most overlooked OEM is a tossup between Nickent and MacGregor (and quite possibly Adams). They are making huge strides in R & D and are putting out better and better equipment every year. The Mac driver is a bit suspect to me, but other than that, the rest of their stuff is lights out.

As for balls, until I used one I would have never said it: Srixon. A truly excellent ball. I love them.

As for components: KZG. They are truly the little company that could!

G410 9 Degree - Accra FX 2.0

G410 5, 7 & 9 Woods - Accra FX 2.0

G710 4-UW - Accra 70i

Glide 3.0 54ES, 58WS Accra 70i

PING Bruzer

PING Vault 2.0 Ketsch & Craz-E **Backups**

(My son is waiting patiently for the G425 woods so he can take my old ones!)

MacGregor, especially in terms of drivers. The MacTec NVG2 has essentially the same technology as the Callaway FT-5, and even when it was new it was hundreds of dollars less than the Cally. I bought mine almost a year ago for 200 bones; I'm sure they're cheaper now.

I would have said Nickent, but they're getting some good pub now. The WITB on TGC was very good, and now that their hybrids are winning on Tour, I'm sure you'll see their market share grow.

If there were two companies I could pick for most overlooked.....

1. Macgregor and with absolutely no doubt in my mind.........

WILSON STAFF

I have always said that if they said TM, Titleist or Nike their sales would be absolutely large. Ball wise I have personally overlooked Srixon. I've never played a Srixon ball. But the Wilson Staff balls sure get overlooked as well.

Alex

Nickent is the most overlooked

TM SIM Max 10.5 UST V 2 
TM SIM Max 15 UST V2 66g
TM SIM 19 Aldila RIP Alpha 6
TM GAPR Mid 4 iron 20 Fujikara Fuel
TM GAPR Mid 5 iron 23 Aldila RIP 
TM P790 6 Nippon Modus 3 130, Black 7-PW Nippon Modus 3 130
TM xFT TP 50 Nippon Pro WV115
TM Milled Grind 2 Black Wedge 54 Nippon Pro Black WV115
TM Hi-Toe Big Foot 58 Nippon Pro WV115
TM Rossa Ghost Tour AGSI+ FO-74

I would say wilson and Tommy Armour.

I have rarley seen or read a bad review or Tommy clubs but rarely do you see people hitting them even though they are dirt cheap.

Wilson Staff Fluid Feel Irons are possibly one of the best irons ever made. If you have ever had the pleasure of hitting one of those you will know what I mean. The newer staffs are nice as well.

I would say wilson and Tommy Armour.

I have rarley seen or read a bad review or Tommy clubs but rarely do you see people hitting them even though they are dirt cheap.

Wilson Staff Fluid Feel Irons are possibly one of the best irons ever made. If you have ever had the pleasure of hitting one of those you will know what I mean. The newer staffs are nice as well.

I see 845s all the time. They're the best selling iron of all time, and I know there were guys on the tour playing them back a little while. JD used to play them: http://www.thegolfchannel.com/core.aspx?pa...amp;select2=852 I'd say Tommy Armour by a mile. Every other brand mentioned here is heavily used by amateurs and pros - other than Tour Edge - which along with Tommy's are in my opinion the most overlooked/underated, along with some of the stuff you find at Golfsmith (Snakeyes, etc.)

So, IMO:

Tommy Armour

&

Tour Edge

Lots of Srixon, Macgregor and Bridgestones....maybe its not the marketing the one thing they all have in common is US headquarters in Georgia...but then there is that other company that does pretty good....Mizuno

Mac: Albany

Srixon: Lawrenceville

Bridgestone: Covington

Mizuno: Norcross

Driver: TOUR ISSUE SRIXON 585 W/GD M9003
Fairway: Srixon F85 13.5* w/ TENSEI ORANGE
Hybrid: Srixon H85 16* w/ KBS PROTO HYBRID 
Irons: SRIXON ZX5 4-PW
CBX2 48*, ZIPCORE 52 RAW, 57* FULLFACE DG Spinner
Putter: XXIO MILLED BLADE

Nobody is talking about Japanese stuff? There were a couple of mentions of Bridgestone (Tourstage), but once you hit Japanese-made clubs, even Mizunos feel like garden tools.

PRGR

Tourstage

Zodia

Yonex

I haven't hit some of the more obscure Japanese stuff (as seen on TSG), but I'm sure it's even better than the ones listed. My dream set would be Gold's Factory blades, but the Hiro Matsumoto's are sweet too.

Stateside, Adams doesn't get the respect they deserve. Way more offerings than game-improvement clubs, but they are overlooked by low-mid cappers.

Ping G400 LST w/ Veylix Roughneck
Cleveland HiBore XL 2 Bimatrx Proto
Callaway Rogue 4 AD-DI
PRGR 020i 3 Ozik Altus 
Cobra King Forged Tec 4-G Modus Tour 105
Chikara 55/60 Ozik Program 130
The Never Ending Putter Hall of Shame

Gonna have to cast my vote for Bridgestone. Not so much the balls that are overlooked, but the clubs.

Their first run of clubs was decidedly for lower 'cappers, so it was easy to see how the "average" golfer may not have been interested. But with some of the newer designs aimed at mid/high 'cappers, they are rounding out their lineup pretty nicely. The marketing efforts have been interesting to watch to say the least. If you walk into a big box retailer (at least around here) there may be one B'stone set of irons (typically the gorgeous J33CB's) and that's it aside from balls. Retailers seem to be of the impression the marketing is not there to support carrying the lineup, and I'd have to agree. It's hard to sell what isn't visible to the public. I think the oversight is at corporate levels and not based on the equipment. But, that's true of many of the companies that have been mentioned in this thread thus far.