Ball For 2017?

AThompson_3

There are a lot of great balls out there this year and I am sure each person can find a great fit. I tried something different this year since the winter has been mild. I have played 2 separate 9 hole rounds with one type of ball using my game golf to capture the stats. After the round I have analyzed the score and the shots which has helped me narrow down what ball seems to work best for me in terms of scoring. In all fairness, for me so far the best performance has come from the 2016 chrome soft. It's shorter off the the tee than 3 other balls I tested, but my approach shots have been closer to the pin and I have made more putts with it. I know everyone doesn't have time for this type of testing, but I have enjoyed doing it and gaining confidence that I know I am playing the ball that averages a better score for me over a few rounds.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^^ I can't wait for the TP5, I've never been so pumped for a ball!

Smoke 9* GD IZ 5s
Smoke 🔹🔹🔹15* GD IZ 6s

T150's 5-PW KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 50/12F KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 54/10S KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 58/08M KBS Tour

Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto 
Nike 006 Rory Proto 

PRO V1 #36 or #70

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/973333-mnnikeguy-nike-oven-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

How do you guys test balls? Interested in doing a comprehensive evaluation once my season starts

I play both of the balls when I go out. I'll hit 2 drives, evaluate the distance and feel and that. I'll then grab them and hit them both from the same spot for second shot and repeat. If there's nobody around I'll hit a bunch of shots around the green with both.

I'm not playing for score during these rounds so I'll try to hit high, low, fade, draw. I'll hit every shot imaginable. Even punch shots out of trees and stuff just to really get a good feel for what the ball will do.

I did this recently, and this seemed to work for me. Spieth gave an interview where he said this is what he does (not sure if its true) and it seems to make sense.

I go to the course when it isn't crowded (Weekday night, etc...) with some sleeves of the balls I want to try. When I did it I had the v1, v1x, b330 (my gamer at the time), srixon z-star, star xv, red box callaway forget the name, top flight gamer, gamer tour, srixon soft.

The first thing I did was hit driver hard off the first tee (a par 5 at my local with a bunker about 260 up the left side) aimed right at the bunker. This cut every ball except the 330, gamer tour, the xv and the v1. I hit probably 20 with each shagging them. I have no idea why those balls were longer, but they were and some by a massive margin (like the xv). I did it twice, so there wouldn't be variance. The gamer tour lagged the others, but not so much so that it got eliminated. A whole whole bunch of balls got eliminated because they weren't as long.

I have read on this forum that all balls have maximum distance. This was not my experience.

After that I went to the greens and just hit pitches and chips, random shots with all of them. I didn't like the XV or the 330 in this respect for some reason next to the others (i had in the past) as i felt they were too flat and didn't spin enough. I then moved to the putter, and the final two were the gamer tour and the pro v1.

Unfortunately the pro v1 is the better ball, and i've been gaming it a few months now. Really really like it, solid ball.

So, basically, I tested distance off the tee first, then the green, then putting. I hit iron shots with them too but they all performed exactly the same with the exception of the green box srixons which went way too high.

I've heard other people on here who know WAY more than me about balls say iron hits are different and tee shtos are the same (because distance is maxed out) but that wasn't my experience.

G400 Max 9* Ventus Red 5X, SIM Ventus Red 6X 

Callaway Mavrik 4 (18*) - AW (46*) Project X 5.5

Vokey SM4 50* SM5 56*

Cameron Phantom 5S

Bridgestone B330 for the last couple years.. I always pick up a bunch of the older model as soon as the new one is released.. haha

Paradym 10.5* - Ventus TR Blue 6X
Stealth 15* - Ventus Red 8X

Apex Hybrid 20* - Ventus Black 10X
TCB Raw 4-PW - Tour Issue X100

Taylormade MG4 50*/55*/60* - Tour Issue S400
Byron Morgan DH89 Carbon 34"

Considering I was a ball HO last year I need to get rid of the 18 dozen I bought at Costco for $24.99 last year. Hex controls, hex softs and a few superhots

No more ball ho'ing going forward.

I say that now, lets see how long that lasts

Yes I admit I'm a golf ball HO. But My HO-ing is strictly for down to one ball the "2016 Nike Rzn tour platinum" IMO its as good or better than other premium ball out there and that includes 2017 an especially when you consider the price $16.01 a dozen. I have completely cleaned out my PGA Superstore and local Dick's which price matched. I now have a total of 34 Dozen. which will last me who knows how long when you consider I play twice a week and lose maybe 1-2 a round at the most. I'm set.

I'll be testing the Q-Star vs the Z-Star because both are cheap used. I guess whichever one wins I'll buy new.

I'm also half interested in a Q-Star Tour vs My Tour Ball test because they have basically the same specs and same price point but I feel like the MTB is way better just by reading the scuttlebutt on these forums about the Q-Star Tour and the extremely solid praise for the MTB.

Like many people (it seems), I like to find a good deal, usually one behind the product cycle. This year, I have 3 dozen b330s, a bunch of 2014 TPX (my favorite ball in the last decade), and RZN Blacks. During the season I play every day, sometimes twice a day, so I'm not sure how long these will last, but when they run out I'm looking forward to trying Chrome Soft X, Z-Star XV (played them a few years back and loved them, but the durability sucked--I'll give the new ones a shot), new Pro Vs, TP5x. Should be a great year to find a new ball.

How do you guys test balls? Interested in doing a comprehensive evaluation once my season starts

I play both of the balls when I go out. I'll hit 2 drives, evaluate the distance and feel and that. I'll then grab them and hit them both from the same spot for second shot and repeat. If there's nobody around I'll hit a bunch of shots around the green with both.

I'm not playing for score during these rounds so I'll try to hit high, low, fade, draw. I'll hit every shot imaginable. Even punch shots out of trees and stuff just to really get a good feel for what the ball will do.

I did this recently, and this seemed to work for me. Spieth gave an interview where he said this is what he does (not sure if its true) and it seems to make sense.

I go to the course when it isn't crowded (Weekday night, etc...) with some sleeves of the balls I want to try. When I did it I had the v1, v1x, b330 (my gamer at the time), srixon z-star, star xv, red box callaway forget the name, top flight gamer, gamer tour, srixon soft.

The first thing I did was hit driver hard off the first tee (a par 5 at my local with a bunker about 260 up the left side) aimed right at the bunker. This cut every ball except the 330, gamer tour, the xv and the v1. I hit probably 20 with each shagging them. I have no idea why those balls were longer, but they were and some by a massive margin (like the xv). I did it twice, so there wouldn't be variance. The gamer tour lagged the others, but not so much so that it got eliminated. A whole whole bunch of balls got eliminated because they weren't as long.

I have read on this forum that all balls have maximum distance. This was not my experience.

After that I went to the greens and just hit pitches and chips, random shots with all of them. I didn't like the XV or the 330 in this respect for some reason next to the others (i had in the past) as i felt they were too flat and didn't spin enough. I then moved to the putter, and the final two were the gamer tour and the pro v1.

Unfortunately the pro v1 is the better ball, and i've been gaming it a few months now. Really really like it, solid ball.

So, basically, I tested distance off the tee first, then the green, then putting. I hit iron shots with them too but they all performed exactly the same with the exception of the green box srixons which went way too high.

I've heard other people on here who know WAY more than me about balls say iron hits are different and tee shtos are the same (because distance is maxed out) but that wasn't my experience.

Different players need different things from their ball to max out distance. Amount of spin and launch angle for example. So balls might be maxed out overall, but it will differ between players and the characteristics they need to max it out.

What clubs do you guys believe are most important to work well with the ball when testing? Driver, putter, wedges?

I've heard Spieth talk about finding a ball for his driver and working from there.

I am a bit surprised by Spieth's answer since most superior golfers can get distance with most balls but they are hunting birdies and approach shots and putting seem to me to be more important. As a high handicapper like myself with a lower SS I do look at the driver first since I need distance and low spin of the driver to help keep my ball in the fairway. After that prerequisite, I look at my approach clubs and how the ball hold the greens. As for putting, I have not found a ball that I cannot putt with but prefer the feel of some balls over the other, but I am a 17 HCP and will have a couple of three putts per round. I would expect a low handicap player like yourself to start with the short game and work back to the driver.

This is also how I do it, and its kind-of a boolean test. There are certain balls that I notice significant performance degrade with off the driver. For example, I have no idea why, but the Srixion balls in the green box (i think they are soft) I hit nowhere off the tee. I don't know why, but I lose like 12 yards. Right there, your out. So its not so much he means picking the v1x cause its 304 over the B330 thats 302, but more dropping out a huge slew of balls that, for whatever reason, don't maximize distance - not enough spin for carry, etc... Another example (for me) that makes no sense is the DT Solos. I hit them nowhere off the tee. After a tee testing session, for me, the four left were Z-Star XV, 330 (not S), v1x and Gamer Tour. Then those four went to the green. 10-13 fell off. The 330 was absolutely the longest, but it wasn't longer by much at all. Some of the balls, though, were way shorter for some reason. SO I think (just think) Spieth means a boolean "is it in the group at or right at my max distance" for each ball to eliminate a bunch of balls rather than he takes the longest period. For example, for me, some "premium" balls were shroter - like the callaway ones in the red box. i hit 12 and they were shorter than the others by a not insignificant amount.

Its just too hard to test starting in short game / at the green if your testing 12+ balls. Its not easy to see the best. Driver? its pretty easy, and then you can go test the 2-4 finalists in the green and on the approach.

As I said in another thread, anyone in this thread looking for a new ball try Gamer Tour from Top Flite. The ball is incredible for me. It is indistinguishable from a v1x in how it acts for me on the course, and I am very likely to make the switch, at least in non-tourney play.

I bought 3 dozens of Gamer Tour from DSG for $45 on sale. Pro: greenside manner. Con: terrible feel & at least 10 yds loss off driver and irons. I have 103 mph ss. Is my ss not fast enough to compress Gamer Tour?

Definitely no love for Gamer Tour. I will return the unopen 2 dozens. I have similar experience with Maxfli Softfli too. Perhaps I dont get along wirh DSG brand balls.

I am feeling super confused about what direction to go with the ball for this season. I definitely subscribe to the theory that it's always best to pick one ball and stick with it. Last year I played the 330RX all season and generally liked it a lot. I feel like that as a 9 handicap with a mid to upper 90's swing speed that ball fits my profile pretty well, but I always wonder if I'd really be better served by going with a ball designed specifically to reduce sidespin for amateurs like one of the new e6 models or maybe the new Q Star Tour which seems like it should perform similarly plus has the benefit of a urethane cover. Ugh! Too many options now days, and I'm too cheap to buy a whole bunch of different balls just for testing purposes.

I bought 3 dozens of Gamer Tour from DSG for $45 on sale. Pro: greenside manner. Con: terrible feel & at least 10 yds loss off driver and irons. I have 103 mph ss. Is my ss not fast enough to compress Gamer Tour?

Definitely no love for Gamer Tour. I will return the unopen 2 dozens. I have similar experience with Maxfli Softfli too. Perhaps I dont get along wirh DSG brand balls.

My ss is 110 and I too noticed a lack of comparative distance with the driver and irons. I didn't mind the feel but there is nothing special about this ball when you consider there are other value plays in the 3/4pc. urethane ball market.

I will be playing the Chrome Soft or Chrome Soft X. Testing to begin once our snow is gone.

Ping G430 Max 10K 10.5° driver - Diamana GT 60S

Ping G430 Max 15° #3 fairway - Diamana TB 70S

Ping G430 Max 21° #7 fairway - Diamana TB 80S

Ping G430 Max 26° #5 hybrid - MMTh 90S

Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW irons - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 48°-10S wedge - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 54°-10S and 60°-06X wedges - MMT Scoring Wedge 105S

Ping PLD Ally Blue 4

Titleist Pro V1x

TP5 for me in 2017.

Have you tried both TP5 and X? If so what do you like more about the TP5?

Smoke 9* GD IZ 5s
Smoke 🔹🔹🔹15* GD IZ 6s

T150's 5-PW KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 50/12F KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 54/10S KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 58/08M KBS Tour

Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto 
Nike 006 Rory Proto 

PRO V1 #36 or #70

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/973333-mnnikeguy-nike-oven-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

2017 Pro V1 for me this year, after gaming 2015 Pro V1x for two years (TaylorMade for many years before that).

Below is a link to to the testing I did to come to my decision:

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1436748-final-update-post-49-quick-2017-pro-v1-and-pro-v1x-trackman-review/

PING G430 Max 10K Driver 8º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 5

PING G430 Max 3 Wood 14º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 6

Titleist TSr2 5 Wood 18º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 7

Titleist TSr2 7 Wood 21º ~ GD Tour AD-XC 8

Srixon ZX4 Mk II Irons 5–7 ~ Project X IO 6.0

Srixon ZX5 Mk II Irons 8–P ~ Project X IO 6.0

Vokey Design SM9 Raw Wedges 'Voke' Handground 50.12F • 56.08M • 62.08M ~ Project X 6.0
Odyssey  Tri-Hot 5K Three ~ BGT Stability Tour 2 Polar
Titleist Pro V1x ~ #12

I tried the Gamer Tours. Bought a couple dozen on clearance $12 per dozen. They felt hard on full shots compared to 50 Elite and Gamer Soft. Lost some distance too SS around 90. So I gave away a couple sleeves.

The 50 Elite had too little spin when a I played a different course Sunday. Normally they stop ok but greens were firm from a steady dry wind.

Going to have to find some B330RXS or Z stars on sale.

So far it's looking to me that I'll be playing the B330s and Z-star XV. I like both for different reasons, but mostly that both have performed the best for me in recent rounds. I still game the old TPX (2014s) and will try the TP5x when they come out, but have a few dozen each of the 330s and XV. Once those are gone, I plan to make a decision and stick with either the 330s, XV, or TP5x from here out. No more tinkering for me after this season--I'm ready for some consistency.