2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

RTJ Trail Conditions - Opinions

CDM

Taking our first trip to check out a few of the RTJ Trail courses and others at the end March and wondering what the conditions of the courses will be at that time? Is the grass still dormant at this time?

We fly into Atlanta (like most I assume (?)) and staying in Montgomery as "base camp" and just driving.

Courses:

Grand National (Lake or Links... not sure which yet...opinions??) Fly in around 10am so can get one round in day we arrive

Ross Bridge (Day 2)

The Judge and Senator/Legislator (Day 3....just not sure which to play as second round yet...opinions on which is better?)

Farmlinks (Day 4... a bit of a drive so only playing 18 maybe 36 if we like the course enough)

Optional Round:

Echelon Golf Club (Early morning round the day we leave..still wondering if worth the drive up to it or something better south end of town)

We fly out around 5pm on last day so have time for an option round if we play around 8am.

Thoughts...

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No way in the world you want to drive from Montgomery to North Atlanta to play Echelon and then drive to the airport for a 5pm flight. That is way out of the way and will put you in UGLY traffic if a weekday. Even if it is a weekend you could hit some serious delays. Why not just stop at Grand National on your way back and play the course you didn't play on day 1? I found both courses at Grand National to be very good and some of the better courses on the trail. I prefer Lakes, but they are fairly similar in quality and design.

Regarding Senator and and Legislator, I think Senator is way better. They call it links style, but outside of the lack of trees, nothing really links like about it... It is still a pretty good layout and a fun course. I found several of the holes at Legislator to be be a bit goofy and some overly narrow.

Toypor,

We were thinking the same honestly.

Having not spent much time driving in Atlanta we were concerned with traffic. The question is, is Echelon worth playing given the location and drive to the airport? We would be playing it on a Monday.

If it is worth playing, since Farmlinks will be on Sunday mid morning our thought is maybe just drive from Alpharetta to Farmlinks and stay there then play Echelon first thing Monday morning which should give us enough time to get to the airport.

Either way we have a 2 hour or so drive back to Atlanta area just a matter of when we do it.

OK that option could work. I was under the impression you were headed back to Montgomery after Farmlinks. I have actually never played Echelon. I just knew it wouldn't be worth the hassle if starting your day in Montgomery. You would just need to ensure you leave Echelon by 2pm at the very latest. Another option would be to just stay in Birmingham and play Silver Lake on the trail on your way back to Atlanta. You actually should not hit much traffic in Atlanta coming in from I-20 in the early afternoon. I have not played Silver Lake either...

Hopefully someone else will chime in with some reports on Echelon and/or Silver Lake. I have heard good things about both courses.

The bermuda is still fairly dormant towards the end of March but if we have a warm spring, it could be back earlier especially towards Montgomery and Auburn. I know Ross Bridge overseeds their tee boxes and fairways so you'll have green grass to hit to. Not sure of the other trail courses. Farmlinks does not overseed.

I prefer the Senator over the Legislator. It's a links style and will be a nice change from the other trail courses. And definitely play the Lakes at Grand National. That's the track that the PGA tour event is held on. One of my favorites on the trail.

Our group is heading that way during Masters week. Flying into BHM and staying in a AirBnB mansion in Montgomery.

We are slated for Ross (18), Cambridge (27), Grand National (36) and then the Judge (18). I might go a day early and sneak in either Farmlinks or Silver Lake.

It's been 10 years since I played that much golf back to back...and I remember really feeling it those last few rounds of the trip. But...hopefully the workouts will pay off, and I won't forget my bottle of Vitamin I.

Callaway Rogue ST, 10.5, GD Tour AD IZ
Callaway Rogue 4&7 Fairway, GD Tour AD IZ
Srixon U85 4-6, ZX7 7-SW PX LZ 6.0
Cleveland RTX4 60 PX LZ 6.0
Evnroll 5.2 Short Slant
Snell MTB-X Yellow

After the winter we've had thus far, unless the weather gets freaky between now and late March (e.g., massive ice storm in early March), conditions should be excellent by then.

As to traffic, it's all relative. Atlanta's pretty bad, but if you're used to DC or SF or LA it won't seem that bad. OTOH, if you're used to Denver or Des Moines, well, let's just say it'll be extremely unpleasant.

Farmlinks is worth the drive, I'm not a fan of Silver Lakes. There are a good bit of blind shots which I don't mind but the first time playing it is kinda a guess... I'm pretty positive all RTJ Trail courses overseed. I played Oxmoor two weeks ago and it was in fantastic condition. The greens were in amazing shape. I am almost positive that Hampton Cove, The Shoals, Ross Bridge, and Oxmoor all will have green grass on tee boxes and fairways and greens. I've never played the Sebator (links style course" but have heard it's great. It's one of the only courses I haven't played on the trial.

Another vote for lakes course and senator. The judge is usually starting to green up in March but weather will determine conditions. I live 10 min from Grand National and play almost exclusively lakes course when going. Links is definitely not links style and has goofy shots, especially if you don't know the course.

Farm links is about an hour and a half from Grand National.

Have a great time! All these courses are beautiful and usually in great condition. Hopefully you'll have good weather!

Driver- PING G400 VC 6.1 X
5 wood- Bridgestone J33 VS Proto
3-PW JPX 900 Tour SPR X
52,56,60 Ping Glide
Putter - Scotty Cameron TEi3 Newport

After the winter we've had thus far, unless the weather gets freaky between now and late March (e.g., massive ice storm in early March), conditions should be excellent by then.

As to traffic, it's all relative. Atlanta's pretty bad, but if you're used to DC or SF or LA it won't seem that bad. OTOH, if you're used to Denver or Des Moines, well, let's just say it'll be extremely unpleasant.

Coming from Denver.... but have spent alot of time in LA so now I know what to expect.

I live in auburn and play RTJ grand national all the time and make regular trips to Montgomery and Birmingham.

Play the lake course on day one and links on your way home. I prefer the links but most like the lake.

In Birmingham, I like the ridge course at oxmoor over Ross Bridge; however, it's your first trip and you might as well judge it for yourself. You could play both in a day as they are right next to each other.

In Prattville, the judge and senator is the way to go. The legislator is okay but feels like two courses shoved together.

Farmlinks is solid.

I live in auburn and play RTJ grand national all the time and make regular trips to Montgomery and Birmingham.

Play the lake course on day one and links on your way home. I prefer the links but most like the lake.

In Birmingham, I like the ridge course at oxmoor over Ross Bridge; however, it's your first trip and you might as well judge it for yourself. You could play both in a day as they are right next to each other.

In Prattville, the judge and senator is the way to go. The legislator is okay but feels like two courses shoved together.

Farmlinks is solid.

After much review are what we think will be the rotation. Just hoping for good weather.

One question brought up, should we stay in Montgomery or stay in Auburn ? Either way we are still driving, it would just add more time to Ross Bridge and a coin toss on the others.

Farmlinks is solid.

After much review are what we think will be the rotation. Just hoping for good weather.

One question brought up, should we stay in Montgomery or stay in Auburn ? Either way we are still driving, it would just add more time to Ross Bridge and a coin toss on the others.

I'd say Auburn if you want some nightlife/entertainment. Great college town. Yes, the crowd with be college kids but it's still fun. I have no idea what goes on at night in Montgomery/Prattville. My guess is not much.

• 3 weeks later...

Capital city oyster bar if you're feeling brave. Cool atmosphere, sketchy getting there.

Auburn has several. Hamilton's, Amsterdam, Acre and tons of others in auburn. Warehouse bistro and Cafe 123 in opelika. Pm me with any questions. Have fun!

Driver- PING G400 VC 6.1 X
5 wood- Bridgestone J33 VS Proto
3-PW JPX 900 Tour SPR X
52,56,60 Ping Glide
Putter - Scotty Cameron TEi3 Newport

• 2 weeks later...

Glad I found this thread...

We'll be down the 3/16-3/19. 15 day future forecast looks promising. Although, coming from Chicago, as long as its 45 and sunny we'd be happy. :)

We are playing all 3 Capitol Hill courses then driving back up to Birmingham for both Oxmoor Valley courses and Ross Bridge before we leave on Sunday.

TRS 3 / Ping Max 10k Ventus Red TR 5s - Ventus + Blue 5s - TPT Nitro 17 Hi

TRS 2 15* Ventus Red TR 6s

TRS 2 21* Ventus Red TR 7s

Zx5 ~ Mitsu OTi 95s 
Kyoei KK ~ Nippon 115
LAB Golf DF3~ TPT

Never tell a grown man how to spend his money...

OP, not sure that Echelon is worth the drive. I'd do Silver Lakes as suggested or The Frog, which would be on the way to the airport for you. Echelon would be out of the way.

TaylorMade M3 w/HZRDUS Yellow stiff
TaylorMade M4 Tour 3 wood w/HZRDUS Red stiff
TaylorMade M3 2 hybrid (set to 19*) w/HZRDUS Black stiff
Srixon U65 4i Miyazaki Stiff
Srixon 765 5-PW Modus 120 Stiff
Cleveland RTX 3.0 50*, 54*, and 58* KBS 61
TaylorMade Spider Black

Gameball: Vice Pro Plus, Srixon Q Star Tour

OP, not sure that Echelon is worth the drive. I'd do Silver Lakes as suggested or The Frog, which would be on the way to the airport for you. Echelon would be out of the way.

Appreciate the input. 2 weeks out now as of yesterday and hoping for good weather. (We moved the base location to Birmingham now)

Just looked up The Frog, I do like Fazio courses. We are driving that way on Thursday mid morning to Birmingham so been looking to hit up a course on the way. Cider Ridge was on the list but may have to try The Frog now.

Besides one of the above listed, we are playing The Judge (Friday), Ross Bridge (Saturday) and Farm Links (Sunday...maybe?) We have time for a round before we fly out on Monday but have not decided yet if we will do that or not. We only set one time per day right now but we can add another, just wait and see how the weather pencils out.

Farmlinks is the only course we are still wondering on honestly. Someone told me the Oxmoor Valley courses are really good to.

I have not played Farm Links but have heard great things about the course.

I have played both courses at Oxmoor and was not impressed. Some real funky holes from what I remember... Forced layups and then longish approaches, some extreme elevation changes, not real good site lines, etc... Not nearly as good as other Trail courses I played (Ross Bridge, Muscle Shoals, Grand National, Judge, Senator). More along the lines of Senator which I also thought was pretty bad.

We'll be down the 3/16-3/19. 15 day future forecast looks promising. Although, coming from Chicago, as long as its 45 and sunny we'd be happy. :)

We are playing all 3 Capitol Hill courses then driving back up to Birmingham for both Oxmoor Valley courses and Ross Bridge before we leave on Sunday.

Have to let me know what you think. First time on the RTJ but really looking forward to it.

Appreciate the input. 2 weeks out now as of yesterday and hoping for good weather. (We moved the base location to Birmingham now)

Just looked up The Frog, I do like Fazio courses. We are driving that way on Thursday mid morning to Birmingham so been looking to hit up a course on the way. Cider Ridge was on the list but may have to try The Frog now.

Besides one of the above listed, we are playing The Judge (Friday), Ross Bridge (Saturday) and Farm Links (Sunday...maybe?) We have time for a round before we fly out on Monday but have not decided yet if we will do that or not. We only set one time per day right now but we can add another, just wait and see how the weather pencils out.

Farmlinks is the only course we are still wondering on honestly. Someone told me the Oxmoor Valley courses are really good to.

I think you'll really like The Frog. It's a heavily bunkered course with a few tricky green complexes.

As for your Alabama selection, I think you chose well. Mixing in Farmlinks with the RTJ Trail is cool because it gives you a different designer than the RTJ courses, which can get boring if you play too many of them in one weekend (not counting Ross Bridge and The Judge). Most of us from Atlanta pick a site and just do one site at a time instead of trying to hit multiple sites in one trip. Don't get me wrong, I love a RTJ design, but many of them are alike. That can even be said at my Alma mater's home course, the UGA course, which happens to be an RTJ course. Lol

TaylorMade M3 w/HZRDUS Yellow stiff
TaylorMade M4 Tour 3 wood w/HZRDUS Red stiff
TaylorMade M3 2 hybrid (set to 19*) w/HZRDUS Black stiff
Srixon U65 4i Miyazaki Stiff
Srixon 765 5-PW Modus 120 Stiff
Cleveland RTX 3.0 50*, 54*, and 58* KBS 61
TaylorMade Spider Black

Gameball: Vice Pro Plus, Srixon Q Star Tour

Have to let me know what you think. First time on the RTJ but really looking forward to it.

I'll post on here about our trip, course conditions etc. It's our 1st time down to play RTJ Trail as well so we are jacked. It also doesn't hurt knowing that we are about to get 4-8" of snow Sunday through Tuesday afternoon! Getting out of dodge Wednesday evening.

Zx5 ~ Mitsu OTi 95s 
Kyoei KK ~ Nippon 115
LAB Golf DF3~ TPT

Looking forward to the updates. Me and the fellas will be at essentially the same courses first week in April. Also feel free to post any good food finds along the way.

Callaway Rogue ST, 10.5, GD Tour AD IZ
Callaway Rogue 4&7 Fairway, GD Tour AD IZ
Srixon U85 4-6, ZX7 7-SW PX LZ 6.0
Cleveland RTX4 60 PX LZ 6.0
Evnroll 5.2 Short Slant
Snell MTB-X Yellow

Farmlinks is the bomb....DO NOT MISS IT.

[list]
[*][size=4][b][color=#0000ff]Ping G410 LST, Mitsubishi Tensei Orange Pro [/color][/b][/size]
[*][size=4][color=#008000][b]Ping G410 3 wood, Mitsubishi Diamana BF[/b][/color][/size]
[*][size=4][color=#008000][b]Ping G410 3 hybrid, Mitsubishi Tensei Blue Pro[/b][/color][/size]
[*][size=4][color=#008000][b]Ping G410 4 hybrid, Evenflow Black[/b][/color][/size]
[*][size=4][b]Titleist T200 5-9 KBS Tour Flt [/b][/size]
[*][size=4][b][color=#daa520]Callaway MD5 45,49,54,58/[/color]
[*][color=#b22222][b][size=4]TP Mills Trad II Hand Forged [/size][/b][/color]
[/list]

Looking forward to the updates. Me and the fellas will be at essentially the same courses first week in April. Also feel free to post any good food finds along the way.

You got it.

Zx5 ~ Mitsu OTi 95s 
Kyoei KK ~ Nippon 115
LAB Golf DF3~ TPT

So Farmlinks is in the rotation. Right now we have 3 locked up, just the first round when arrive. *Can play 18 Monday before we fly back just leaving that open for now....

The Frog or Cider Ridge (In debate on which to play on the way from Atlanta to Birmingham.....any input greatly appreciated)

The Judge

Ross Bridge

Farmlinks

We left each day at 18 holes so we can play again in the afternoon weather permitting.

Watching the weather is showing RAIN but oddly I am not sure how to read it as some sites are saying like 0.1-0.2".....which really only seems like little burst here and there?? Less then one tenth of an inch of rain, is that really a rain =) (less then 1/8" ....1/2" I can see being decent)

Anyone living in the area explain how the rain is during this time? Is it a constant light drizzle all day, little burst for 5-10 mins here and there? Hard to understand when the weather sites say 60% chance of rain but list it as almost no amount overall...