2017 Titleist Pro V1 and Pro V1x

snagy2000

I played my first round with the 2017 V1 yesterday. I was very impressed.

For what it's worth, I'm a 6 index with a 105mph-ish driver swing. I hit the ball very high, which can be a blessing or a curse depending on the situation, and my iron, driver and wedge spin rates are all pretty average, or at least they're all about where I'd like them to be. I've played the V1x and Taylormade TPx over the past few years, and never really considered the V1 for my game. For whatever reason I had the impression it was just a spinnier, softer X, and I didn't need either of those things. After spending some time researching for this year's balls the V1 jumped out at me as potentially a better fit, particularly with regards to lower driver launch. So I took a chance and ordered 4 dozen with the 4 for 3 deal they had over the last month.

I played my first full round of the year yesterday, and put the V1 into play. Temps started in the low 50s and were into the low 60s by the time we finished. There was a 1 to 2 club breeze blowing for most of the round. Distance was good off the driver (possibly a little longer than I expected) and as expected with my irons and wedges. I couldn't see and real difference in short game spin when compared to last year's V1X. Where I was really impressed with the ball was how well it held it's line in cross winds and into the wind, and how well it avoided ballooning into the wind. I actually missed a couple of greens playing for the ball to be more affected by the wind than it was. It was pretty impressive, and I'll know better next time. Durability was excellent. I played one ball for the entire round and hit a couple of trees, and the ball showed very minimal wear by the end of the round.

Two thumbs up!

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Played pretty mediocre yesterday, but it was windy, about 60, and the ground still wet, so hard to get too much of a gauge..... (17 x)

Driver - similar results. High ball flight (epic SZ), basically by its divot or beside it, but the usual.

3-wood/hybrid - high launch, maybe a few extra yards.

Irons - I hit a 9 iron 168 yards - didn't really help the situation. Had one really crappy lie (surrounded by grass/clover), with a 9 iron, but ball flight was true, just no spin. But no surprises there. Overall my distance control was horrible, but probably the hang-over and not the ball.

Wedges (full) - I'm a high-ball/steep AOA player, but I got what I wanted. Basically beside its divot, maybe back up 6 inches. I was backing up the 17 V (and the 15) way too much to use them.

Chips - Seems to have more spin than the 15x for me on these - had one of those weird things where the ball bounced and I could clearly read "Titleist" before it bounced again. Not too much, but something I'll need to be cognizant of, and maybe play the ball a little more to the toe to get rid of some of that spin. But I was happy overall, and hit a variety of chips, some out of funky lies.

Durability - Seems to be much better than the 15x. I would chew the cover off one of them in a round, but played 1 ball yesterday for 15 holes. Some of the paint was actually coming off (on the "pro v" and my initials) but seems to be holding up decently.

Overall - seems to be incrementally better than the 15x on the driver, spins more on chips, for me.

Re: durability

played 18 yesterday with one ball (V1) and i could put it back in play next round. i have new SM6s as well.

I agree. I played the whole round with 1 v1 and 1 1x and both went right back into the pouch ready to play again. No issues with durability for me. Same experience as the 2015 1x for me. These are just durable golf balls for me. I have sm5 wedges that are still sharp.

Same for me.

PING G430 Max 10K Driver 8º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 5

PING G430 Max 3 Wood 14º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 6

Titleist TSr2 5 Wood 18º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 7

Titleist TSr2 7 Wood 21º ~ GD Tour AD-XC 8

Srixon ZX4 Mk II Irons 5–7 ~ Project X IO 6.0

Srixon ZX5 Mk II Irons 8–P ~ Project X IO 6.0

Vokey Design SM9 Raw Wedges 'Voke' Handground 50.12F • 56.08M • 62.08M ~ Project X 6.0
Odyssey  Tri-Hot 5K Three ~ BGT Stability Tour 2 Polar
Titleist Pro V1x ~ #12

Lots of good information in this thread, but I'm still a little confused. This is my understanding:

17 ProV1 - Lower driver spin and longer driver distance from previous models. Lower trajectory on all shots. Lower compression and softer feel on all shots. Higher spin on partial chips and pitches.

17 ProV1X - Low driver spin with higher launch than V1. Still the longest ProV version off the tee. Higher trajectory on all shots with more spin on full irons and wedges. Firm feel on all shots. Lower spin on partial chips and pitches.

Does this sound right or am I completely wrong? I have always played the X version because of the excessive driver spin on previous V1 versions, but I much prefer the feel of the V1 and the lower iron spin.

I would say your assessment is spot on.

Vokey Design SM9 Raw Wedges 'Voke' Handground 50.12F • 56.08M • 62.08M ~ Project X 6.0
Titleist Pro V1x ~ #12

Lots of good information in this thread, but I'm still a little confused. This is my understanding:

17 ProV1 - Lower driver spin and longer driver distance from previous models. Lower trajectory on all shots. Lower compression and softer feel on all shots. Higher spin on partial chips and pitches.

17 ProV1X - Low driver spin with higher launch than V1. Still the longest ProV version off the tee. Higher trajectory on all shots with more spin on full irons and wedges. Firm feel on all shots. Lower spin on partial chips and pitches.

Does this sound right or am I completely wrong? I have always played the X version because of the excessive driver spin on previous V1 versions, but I much prefer the feel of the V1 and the lower iron spin.

I would say your assessment is spot on.

Thanks G-Bone. I know you have done a lot of testing and posting on the new ProV's. Your information is appreciated!

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't used a Titleist ball for 5-6 years. Moved away from them because of the price. Started buying bulk premium balls, in most cases the prior year models. The value is high; sometimes I scored as a low as $25/doz shipped to my door for authentic, premium Nike, Bridgestone, and Callaway. The only catch is that I would have to buy multiple dozen at a time. Small price to pay imo.

But I was given a sleeve of the 2017 ProV1 at a tournament a few weeks ago and I am simply blown away. In my experience with the 2017 ProV1, what impressed me most was the durability. A close second is the performance around the greens - you can do anything you want with the golf ball. I have been using Bridgestone B330 (not the S) for about a year and also find that the 2017 ProV1 is longer than those. This year's ProV1 is off the charts good and I think the market confusion, coupled with the premium price, is what is driving down the Titleist love this year.

I have a few dozen Bridgestones left and then I will be going back to Titleist even if it costs me a little more. The 2017 ProV1 is that f'n good.

Like posted above, I haven't played a V1 in a very long time, just this past weekend I got a sleeve (regular V1) and put them in play, I was pleasantly surprised, long off the tee, spin was good off the irons and I backed up a few with the wedges, soft of the putter as well, don't know if I'll switch from the KSig, B330S or the CSX, but they are really good, price point still a bit high though, I can get the B330S and the CSX at 30 per doz, and we all know about the KSig (I was able to snag a 2 doz box the last time they were available)...

DRIVER: Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5*, Ventus TR Blue 6TX at 45"
3 WOOD: Callaway Paradym HL 16.5*, Diamana Flower Band White, D+ 82X Flex, tipped 1" at 42"
7 WOOD: Callaway Paradym 21*, Tensei AV white 75g S Flex, tipped 1" at 41"

IRONS: Callaway Apex MB 7-10, CB 4-6 -- DG TI S400

WEDGES: Callaway JAWS Raw 50, 54, 58 -- DG TI S400
PUTTER: SC Phantom 5, Stability Shaft, 33.25", Garsen Quad Tour grip (Toulon Chicago as back up)
BALL: Callaway CT X (current gamer), Srixon Diamond, -ProV1X and ProV1

• 2 weeks later...

Having played some more with the 17x, it for sure has worse durability compared to the 15x. When you hit an iron or wedge into the 15x, you would see groove marks on the ball, but you couldn't feel them when you rubbed the ball. The 17x, the grooves peel the cover off a little bit and you can feel the groove marks now. I can't go 9 holes with the 17x without having a major issue with the cover peeling from an iron shot. I could play 36 without that happening with the 15x. I won't be buying another dozen of the 17x.

I completely agree with the post above that the 2017 ProV1x has serious durability issues. I feel like Titleist has regressed back to the 2013 ball that would shred. My experience so far is that I can't make it 3-4 holes without some kind of issue with the new 2017 ProV1x. Wedges definitely put groove marks on it, and the wedges I'm using have over 75 rounds on them. I'm not looking forward to using the new Vokeys I just bought, destroying a $4+ with these and ripping them up every time I hit them. This is a real disappointment, not sure if this is a ploy to get me to buy more balls but I think this is going to backfire on them as I am really considering switching balls. I usually buy 16 dozen at the start of the season during the buy 3 get 1 free special. This year Titleist suggested that you try out the new 2017 balls before you buy, which I was unable to do before the special was over. So instead I just bought 4 dozen of each flavor because I wasn't sure which ball would be the best fit for me. I'm not impressed and probably will buy a ton of 2015 ProV1x to try and last me till 2019.

TM SIM 10.5° OBAN Devotion 06  Flex 05
TM M2 16.5° Fujikura Pro73
Cally Rogue 19° Synergy
PXG  0311P Gen3  4i - GW Modus 120
Vokey SM8  54° 60° Modus 120
Ping CRAZ-E

Having played some more with the 17x, it for sure has worse durability compared to the 15x. When you hit an iron or wedge into the 15x, you would see groove marks on the ball, but you couldn't feel them when you rubbed the ball. The 17x, the grooves peel the cover off a little bit and you can feel the groove marks now. I can't go 9 holes with the 17x without having a major issue with the cover peeling from an iron shot. I could play 36 without that happening with the 15x. I won't be buying another dozen of the 17x.

I completely agree with the post above that the 2017 ProV1x has serious durability issues. I feel like Titleist has regressed back to the 2013 ball that would shred. My experience so far is that I can't make it 3-4 holes without some kind of issue with the new 2017 ProV1x. Wedges definitely put groove marks on it, and the wedges I'm using have over 75 rounds on them. I'm not looking forward to using the new Vokeys I just bought, destroying a $4+ with these and ripping them up every time I hit them. This is a real disappointment, not sure if this is a ploy to get me to buy more balls but I think this is going to backfire on them as I am really considering switching balls. I usually buy 16 dozen at the start of the season during the buy 3 get 1 free special. This year Titleist suggested that you try out the new 2017 balls before you buy, which I was unable to do before the special was over. So instead I just bought 4 dozen of each flavor because I wasn't sure which ball would be the best fit for me. I'm not impressed and probably will buy a ton of 2015 ProV1x to try and last me till 2019.

I agree with above... the ball feels different (heavier?) than the 2015 version and the cover is not durable at all. I have tried to like 17, but still think 15 was a better version. Played TP5X the last couple of rounds and played well with it. Very durable and has a great feel off every club for me.

• 2 weeks later...

I played the regular ProV1 today and I am pretty impressed by this ball. For sure a lower launch, but they were able to get some of the spin out of the driver. If you liked everything about the regular '15 ProV1 except for distance off the tee, the '17 Pro V1 is the ball for you. Really soft and spins great around the greens. It plays pretty similar to the Chrome Soft +, but has a bit less spin off the driver.

Ping G400 LST Ping Tour Stiff 63
Callaway Epic Fash Sub Zero 15 Hzrdus Smoke 6.5
Titleist 818 H1 19 Evenflow Blue 6.5 85
Titleist T100s Black 4-PW Dynamic Gold AMT Tour White
Titleist SM8 52 Dynamic Gold S200
TM High Toe 58 KBS Hi Rev 115 Stiff
TM High Toe 64 KBS Hi Rev 115 Stiff
TM Spider X

I have really lost my way with the new 2017 ProV1's. The X has way too high of a launch and the V1 just doesn't have enough bite on 30-40 pitch shots. I may just go back to the 15 ProV1x for now and try another ball at the tail end of the season. I really need that breaking power for my pitch shots around the greens. The 2017 V1's just are not getting it done around the greens for me.

Titleist TS3 9.5* Aldila Rogue Silver 110 60X
Titleist 915F 15* Aldila Rogue Silver 110 70X
Titleist 816 H2 Aldila Rogue Silver 110 85X
Titleist T100 Project X 5.5
Titleist Vokey SM8 50/54/58 Project X 5.5 Wedge
Scotty Cameron Squareback 2
Titleist Staff Stand Bag
Titleist ProV1x,
Bushnell Tour Z6

The 2017 1x now has 3 rounds in for me and I am liking the performance, especially off the T. It is long for me. I see good greenside action and I have no complaints.

Aerojet 10.5, turned to 9.5*-  Ventus Blue TR 6x
Cobra F9 3w - Atmos TS Blue 7x
T300 4i (19*) - UST Recoil 95 F4
Srixon 565/765 Combo 5-PW - Project X 5.5hs
SM5 50,54,58,62 - F,K,S Grinds - Rifle 6.0
Odyssey OTR putter
2024 TP5

I have really lost my way with the new 2017 ProV1's. The X has way too high of a launch and the V1 just doesn't have enough bite on 30-40 pitch shots. I may just go back to the 15 ProV1x for now and try another ball at the tail end of the season. I really need that breaking power for my pitch shots around the greens. The 2017 V1's just are not getting it done around the greens for me.

It is incredible how different players get different results from golf equipment... I think it's a huge part of the reason I'm such an equipment junky.

For me, around the greens is where the 2017 V shines... it bites hard and does exactly what I need/want it to do... and I'm coming from 2015 X.

A suggestion, you may want to give the new Z-Star a try... I found it spun more so around the greens than 2017 V.

Good luck!

Titleist Pro V1x ~ #12

It is incredible how different players get different results from golf equipment... I think it's a huge part of the reason I'm such an equipment junky.

For me, around the greens is where the 2017 V shines... it bites hard and does exactly what I need/want it to do... and I'm coming from 2015 X.

A suggestion, you may want to give the new Z-Star a try... I found it spun more so around the greens than 2017 V.

Good luck!

Some of the other guys in league were complaining this morning about the Augusta National greens we were playing on last night. I'm going to grab a sleeve of the 15x for the next two rounds and see if there is indeed a difference or not. I feel like I have to convince myself to stay with the ProV1 over the X.

Titleist Staff Stand Bag
Titleist ProV1x,
Bushnell Tour Z6

Good luck!

Some of the other guys in league were complaining this morning about the Augusta National greens we were playing on last night. I'm going to grab a sleeve of the 15x for the next two rounds and see if there is indeed a difference or not. I feel like I have to convince myself to stay with the ProV1 over the X.

Funny you should mention this. A couple weeks ago our greens were playing incredibly firm and fast, and I couldn't get 17 V to stick with full short irons. I knew from my winter testing that 17 X had much more spin with short irons than 17 V, so I grabbed a sleeve of X and put them in play. Long story short, same results... 8 iron, hit well off tight fairway, would hit the middle of the green and roll through... using both X and V.

Here we are two weeks later, lots of rain, greens softer, and 17 V is sticking like velcro!

Titleist Pro V1x ~ #12

Good luck!

Funny you should mention this. A couple weeks ago our greens were playing incredibly firm and fast, and I couldn't get 17 V to stick with full short irons. I knew from my winter testing that 17 X had much more spin with short irons than 17 V, so I grabbed a sleeve of X and put them in play. Long story short, same results... 8 iron, hit well off tight fairway, would hit the middle of the green and roll through... using both X and V.

Here we are two weeks later, lots of rain, greens softer, and 17 V is sticking like velcro!

Just got back from the Pro shop and grabbed a few different sleeves and play around on my launch monitor. Maybe once I see some numbers including spin off the wedges I can better determine what fits me better. Maybe the higher trajectory of the 17x is better.

Titleist Staff Stand Bag
Titleist ProV1x,
Bushnell Tour Z6

Did some testing on the launch monitor lastnight and the 2017 Prov1x was on average 8.4 yards longer carry then the 2017 V1. Really no change in the short and mid irons but the long irons and woods launched higher, spun less and travel further. Case closed. X ball going back in play.

Titleist Staff Stand Bag
Titleist ProV1x,
Bushnell Tour Z6

Did some testing on the launch monitor lastnight and the 2017 Prov1x was on average 8.4 yards longer carry then the 2017 V1. Really no change in the short and mid irons but the long irons and woods launched higher, spun less and travel further. Case closed. X ball going back in play.

This was my experience too. To the T. The 2017 1x is my gamer.

Aerojet 10.5, turned to 9.5*-  Ventus Blue TR 6x
Cobra F9 3w - Atmos TS Blue 7x
T300 4i (19*) - UST Recoil 95 F4
Srixon 565/765 Combo 5-PW - Project X 5.5hs
SM5 50,54,58,62 - F,K,S Grinds - Rifle 6.0
Odyssey OTR putter
2024 TP5

This was my experience too. To the T. The 2017 1x is my gamer.

For me, on Trackman, 17 X carried four yards longer and was 5 yards longer over all compared to 17 V.

But, again for me, 17 V fit my game much better threw the bag than X... So it's V for me.

I'm happy to sacrifice a half club off the tee for superior approach and green side control.

Titleist Pro V1x ~ #12

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Been playing the V1 X for a year plus now. i liked the 15 version and thought it delivered superior driver distance. when you are only hitting it 240 a few yards makes a big difference.

Today i was given a sleeve of the 17 V1's. I have to echo a lot of what has been said here. the V was softer for sure. in driver comparisons it was about 4-7 yards shorter. But the feel and durability were a huge plus. i played 9 holes with the same ball and its ready to go for another round. the spin was great off of shorter irons.

i will continue my trial -- but so far its very impressive ball.

So I have yet to try the 2017 versions of the ProV1 or the "X" but got an email today they are sending me a couple sleeves with the WRX logo on them. I guess since I applied to go and test last month they are offering me some free balls.

Looking forward to trying these and seeing if they are better or worse than last years.

Cobra F7+ - Stiff
Callaway V-Series 3 & 5 wood with Aldila Rouge Silver
Srixon 585 5-AW - Modus 105 Stiff
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 53 & 58 Degree
EVNROLL ER5
Srixon XV - Yellow

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Played V1x The latter half of the season, after I ran out of my '15s. Noticeably higher launch on the driver - pretty shocked to see such stark difference actually. This was a good thing for me - almost surely hitting longer drives with it. My guess is spin was about the same with higher launch ---> bombs. Everywhere else I couldn't tell much difference. Spins just fine around the greens, familiar feel with the putter. Per the durability issues some have raised, I don't see it. If anything I think '17 is better. If you don't hit a cart path or anything and keep the strikes clean you'll get at least 9 holes with a perfect ball, and after 18 it'll be plenty clean to tee back up for non-competition.

TSR3 10* | Hzrdus Black Gen4 60TX 

Titleist TS3 3w | Diamana DF 70TX

Ping i525 3 iron | DG 120 X100 

Callaway Apex MB '18 5-Pw; X Forged '18 4i | DG X100 

Vokey SM8 52F, SM9 56F, SM7 60L | DG S400

Evnroll ER2v Long Plumbers Neck

• 2 weeks later...

I havent played a Titleist ball in over a decade but decided to try the new Prov1 and X. On the first hole I played the V1, and I hit a GW that completely shredded the cover. The ball looked like it got run over by a lawn mower. I cant remember the last time Ive done that, let alone after 1 hole.

I actually loved the X. High launch off the driver and the ball seemed to hang in the air. The launch and spin off the irons was pretty standard to what Im used to with other balls. The greenside spin was really predictable and I played the same ball for pretty much the entire round. Dare I switch? Thinkin about it.

• 2 weeks later...