2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

2017 Titleist Pro V1 and Pro V1x

snagy2000

I don't play their balls because I'm a cheapskate but otherwise I must totally be in their target market. Nothing about their ProV1 marketing seems the least bit confusing to me. Probably because I don't expect the bumpf on the back of the box to tell me which ball I will like better. You get confused because you try to impute meaning where there is none.

It's just like the guys that come on here and ask questions like, "Do you think I could get half a degree more launch and 200rpm less spin by going to the ADDI 7s instead of the 6x but tipping it an extra half inch?" The inevitable reply is you have to go through a fitting or at least try it, nobody can predict detailed results from a bunch of specs. Just as true for golf balls.

I don't think being price conscious equates to a cheapskate. I have never been a one ball guy however I did notice a difference in the new ProV over prior gen models.

"We have learned that we must
live as men, not as ostriches, nor
as dogs in the manger." FDR

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's astounding how much incorrect information you can find on this site. The X has been the higher launch, lower spin for long game version, while the V1 has been the opposite. Why are people arguing that?

I've officially tapped out of that fight. The question is like an unsquashable bug, stomp on it all you want and the next day it crawls back out of the woodwork.

I mean just look at the back of the box. It says it right there!

Yep. I always like when people say a fact is "confusing" when what they really mean is "it's the opposite of my own incorrect idea".

It's astounding how much incorrect information you can find on this site. The X has been the higher launch, lower spin for long game version, while the V1 has been the opposite. Why are people arguing that?

I've officially tapped out of that fight. The question is like an unsquashable bug, stomp on it all you want and the next day it crawls back out of the woodwork.

Yep. I always like when people say a fact is "confusing" when what they really mean is "it's the opposite of my own incorrect idea".

The irony in all of this is that you have yet to answer any of the questions directed at you in this thread. Surprised considering you have a 9 post per day average since joining these forums. You clearly have a propensity for being heard.

The irony in all of this is that you have yet to answer any of the questions directed at you in this thread. Surprised considering you have a 9 post per day average since joining these forums. You clearly have a propensity for being heard.

I can't find any question you have asked me on this thread or elsewhere. Are you sure you are responding to the right person?

All I see from you are insults directed at Titleist and anyone who claims to understand the difference between their golf balls. You are welcome to that opinion but does not admit anything like an "answer".

It would be fun to get this thread back on track with people's actual experiences with these balls, despite the marketing claims, past or present. This is a topic I'm really interested in and would like to see this thread live long and prosper!

Driver - Paradym, 10.5 (or TM Mini BRNR 11.5)

3W, 5W- Titleist 913F

4i-PW - TM P7MB

Wedges - Vokey SM9 (52, 56, 60) all M grinds

Putter - PLD Anser

Ball - ProV1

I can't find any question you have asked me on this thread or elsewhere. Are you sure you are responding to the right person?

All I see from you are insults directed at Titleist and anyone who claims to understand the difference between their golf balls. You are welcome to that opinion but does not admit anything like an "answer".

The same question as has been asked since the genesis of this thread. I've asked a single question. Where's the marketing material for the 2013 and/or 2015 Pro V, that tells the customer that the Pro V1x spins more than the Pro V1 around the green?

This has nothing to do with how the balls actually perform. <-------------- read!!!. All of this is about the public marketing of these balls by Titleist.

People on team titleist are STILL saying that they play the Pro V1x because the Pro V1 spins too much around the green. Are they wrong? Yes. Are there MANY golfers that pay the premium price to play this ball that have no idea what the spin characteristics of these balls are around the green? Yes. But why is that? Because Bridgestone is to blame? Or because there are pesticides in the water? It comes from somewhere.

Anybody here follow @pgatour on Instagram? There is a video this morning of Zak Johnson backing up a flighted wedge like 30 feet on command. Its awesome. Wonder what ball he is playing.

Titleist website lists ZJ playing V1x... Not sure which version.

PING G430 Max 10K Driver 8º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 5

PING G430 Max 3 Wood 14º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 6

Titleist TSr2 5 Wood 18º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 7

Titleist TSr2 7 Wood 21º ~ GD Tour AD-XC 8

Srixon ZX4 Mk II Irons 5–7 ~ Project X IO 6.0

Srixon ZX5 Mk II Irons 8–P ~ Project X IO 6.0

Vokey Design SM9 Raw Wedges 'Voke' Handground 50.12F • 56.08M • 62.08M ~ Project X 6.0
Odyssey  Tri-Hot 5K Three ~ BGT Stability Tour 2 Polar
Titleist Pro V1x ~ #12

The same question as has been asked since the genesis of this thread. I've asked a single question. Where's the marketing material for the 2013 and/or 2015 Pro V, that tells the customer that the Pro V1x spins more than the Pro V1 around the green?

This has nothing to do with how the balls actually perform. <-------------- read!!!. All of this is about the public marketing of these balls by Titleist.

People on team titleist are STILL saying that they play the Pro V1x because the Pro V1 spins too much around the green. Are they wrong? Yes. Are there MANY golfers that pay the premium price to play this ball that have no idea what the spin characteristics of these balls are around the green? Yes. But why is that? Because Bridgestone is to blame? Or because there are pesticides in the water? It comes from somewhere.

Quick note: Me and several others have found 2017 V1 has more green side spin than 2017 V1x (chips, bunkers, etc.) However, 2017 V1x has more short iron approach shot spin than 2017 V1 (full short irons and wedges).

Vokey Design SM9 Raw Wedges 'Voke' Handground 50.12F • 56.08M • 62.08M ~ Project X 6.0
Titleist Pro V1x ~ #12

I only know what I've experienced. 2013 ProV1x spins noticeably more than 2013 ProV1 on full wedge and short iron shots. If you say Titleist did not make that clear in their ads back then, you may be right. I don't read marketing bumpf anyway and certainly don't have 4 year old examples.

Does "around the green" mean full swings with a pitching wedge?

I must say it's a mystery to me why you are so worked up over the fact that my personal experience has been that ProV1x's behavior is completely consistent with what is avertised. It's clear to me what the ball is meant to do and it sees to do it. I am not confused and see no reason anyone else should be confused.

I only know what I've experienced. 2013 ProV1x spins noticeably more than 2013 ProV1 on full wedge and short iron shots. If you say Titleist did not make that clear in their ads back then, you may be right. I don't read marketing bumpf anyway and certainly don't have 4 year old examples.

Does "around the green" mean full swings with a pitching wedge?

I must say it's a mystery to me why you are so worked up over the fact that my personal experience has been that ProV1x's behavior is completely consistent with what is avertised. It's clear to me what the ball is meant to do and it sees to do it. I am not confused and see no reason anyone else should be confused.

Can you two get a room? Maybe 69 with each other to take out your anger?

thnx

I must say it's a mystery to me why you are so worked up over the fact that my personal experience has been that ProV1x's behavior is completely consistent with what is avertised.

Again you admit that you don't read the marketing, and are unable to recall past marketing examples, but you claim that your experiences are completely consistent with what's been advertised. LoL.

I can only go in circles with you so many times. For the sanity of those that actually have an interest in this thread beyond increasing their post count, I'll let the marketing deception die on the vine.

Quick note: Me and several others have found 2017 V1 has more green side spin than 2017 V1x (chips, bunkers, etc.) However, 2017 V1x has more short iron approach shot spin than 2017 V1 (full short irons and wedges).

Which had less spin and lower launch off of the driver? V1?

Mizuno JPX900 EvoIII S (weights center channel port 1 & 2)
Mizuno GT190 Atmos Blue 6S
Mizuno CLK 19* Speeder EVO HB S
Titleist 4i AMT S300
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5-G KBS Tour
Mizuno S18 54.8/58.8
Carbon Ringo 1/4
Balls : 2017 ProV1x / KSig / Vice Pro+

Going off this new chart, as a life long ProV1x guy, it looks like I'm a ProV1 guy now?

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 7.5 - PX Hulk 65g

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 13.5 - PX Hulk 85g
PXG Hybrid 19 - GD HYB 95

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Miura Tour 50, 54 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

Scotty Cameron 009 - Circle W
IG: https://www.instagram.com/pure745

Going off this new chart, as a life long ProV1x guy, it looks like I'm a ProV1 guy now?

Im in the same boat...I still have 2 boxes of 2015 1x balls. But I am going to get a sleeve on the new 2017 v1 and see what happens. Will use my 2015 1x first and when they are gone make a decision.

Aerojet 10.5, turned to 9.5*-  Ventus Blue TR 6x
Cobra F9 3w - Atmos TS Blue 7x
T300 4i (19*) - UST Recoil 95 F4
Srixon 565/765 Combo 5-PW - Project X 5.5hs
SM5 50,54,58,62 - F,K,S Grinds - Rifle 6.0
Odyssey OTR putter
TP5x

Im in the same boat...I still have 2 boxes of 2015 1x balls. But I am going to get a sleeve on the new 2017 v1 and see what happens. Will use my 2015 1x first and when they are gone make a decision.

Pretty much exact same boat. Although it would take a big and noticeable difference in performance for me to switch to 2017 V1, as I like the feel of a slightly firmer ball. Prefer a solid thump to a soft feeling. That and the price difference between 2015x and 2017 ProV1...

3W, 5W- Titleist 913F

4i-PW - TM P7MB

Putter - PLD Anser

Ball - ProV1

Which had less spin and lower launch off of the driver? V1?

For me V1 definitely has lower launch than V1x. However, according to Trackman V1 had about 150 rpm more spin than V1x.

That being said, I'm in Florida playing golf currently and the one thing I can say for sure, 2017 V1 is considerably longer with woods and hybrids than 2015 V1x and perhaps .25 to .5 clubs longer with irons... very impressed.

Titleist Pro V1x ~ #12

Pretty much exact same boat. Although it would take a big and noticeable difference in performance for me to switch to 2017 V1, as I like the feel of a slightly firmer ball. Prefer a solid thump to a soft feeling. That and the price difference between 2015x and 2017 ProV1...

I'm actually looking for a ball that spins less than my current ProV1x - both overall and with my wedges. If our greens are soft ProV1x's just rip back for me. I've been testing the new TP5X and it's perfect.. same swings with the wedges and very close to the pitch mark and sometimes will even release a bit forward. Game changer for me as I don't have to manipulate wedge shots anymore and can go hard w/o fear of overspinning. I'm a big Titleist ball fan, so if the ProV1 is similar to the TP5X I'll go with the Titleist, if not, the TM might be my new ball. Firm/hard/fast greens I'll be using the ProV1x, but home course has been really receptive.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 7.5 - PX Hulk 65g

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 13.5 - PX Hulk 85g
PXG Hybrid 19 - GD HYB 95

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Miura Tour 50, 54 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

Scotty Cameron 009 - Circle W
IG: https://www.instagram.com/pure745

Ditto.

Titleist 4i AMT S300
Mizuno S18 54.8/58.8
Carbon Ringo 1/4

Rickie's winning WITB says ProV1x, but doesn't say which year. Hmmm...

He is definitely playing V1 (supposedly 2017). You could easily see the black number on his ball several times today. At one point today I could even see that is was the number 4... I was kind of surprised it doesn't play a custom number.

Titleist Pro V1x ~ #12

He is definitely playing V1 (supposedly 2017). You could easily see the black number on his ball several times today. At one point today I could even see that is was the number 4... I was kind of surprised it doesn't play a custom number.

Dang it, that's what I was afraid of, 2015xer switching to 2017 V1...

3W, 5W- Titleist 913F

4i-PW - TM P7MB

Putter - PLD Anser

Ball - ProV1

Welcome to the club my friend... we're happy to have you on aboard! ;)

On a side note - Just finished paying seven rounds of golf with new V1... I just can't believe how great this ball is for my game... smokes 2015 V1x, for me. Long and low spin with driver, perfect spin with short irons and wedges, with fantastic bite around the greens... Oh yeah, and it feels amazing!

Titleist Pro V1x ~ #12

Rickie has been playing the V1 for a while now, it's not a recent switch

M2, maybe
915 FD
913 HD
712u 3
714 AP2 4-p
SM5 53, 59
Circa62

Welcome to the club my friend... we're happy to have you on aboard! ;)

On a side note - Just finished paying seven rounds of golf with new V1... I just can't believe how great this ball is for my game... smokes 2015 V1x, for me. Long and low spin with driver, perfect spin with short irons and wedges, with fantastic bite around the greens... Oh yeah, and it feels amazing!

Can't wait to get the 2017 V's on the course. Just need all the snow to melt.

Titleist 4i AMT S300
Mizuno S18 54.8/58.8
Carbon Ringo 1/4