2017 Titleist Pro V1 and Pro V1x

snagy2000

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2017x launches higher then the 2017V on full wedges but with more spin. Half wedges the V launches higher with more spin. Chips the X definitely spins less then the V. So far I'm more accurate and longer with the 2017x vs. the V1. I was playing the 2015x ball.

Titleist TS3 9.5* Aldila Rogue Silver 110 60X
Titleist 915F 15* Aldila Rogue Silver 110 70X
Titleist 816 H2 Aldila Rogue Silver 110 85X
Titleist T100 Project X 5.5
Titleist Vokey SM8 50/54/58 Project X 5.5
Scotty Cameron Squareback 2
Titleist Staff Stand Bag
Titleist -ProV1x,
Bushnell Tour Z6

17x spins less around greens? Isn't that exact opposite of how they are representing it?

I believe Titleist's marketing term is "short game spin." Question is, is that 100 yards and in, is that greens side, I'm not sure?

What I can tell you is that I, and several others I've played with and spoke with here, are seeing much more spin from full wedges with 17 X, when compared to 17 V or 15 X, but with less green side spin when compared to 17 V, and about the same as 15 X.

PING G430 Max 10K Driver 8º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 5

PING G430 Max 3 Wood 14º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 6

Titleist TSr2 5 Wood 18º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 7

Titleist TSr2 7 Wood 21º ~ GD Tour AD-XC 8

Srixon ZX4 Mk II Irons 5–7 ~ Project X IO 6.0

Srixon ZX5 Mk II Irons 8–P ~ Project X IO 6.0

Vokey Design SM9 Raw Wedges 'Voke' Handground 50.12F • 56.08M • 62.08M ~ Project X 6.0
Odyssey  Tri-Hot 5K Three ~ BGT Stability Tour 2 Polar
Titleist Pro V1x ~ #12

Did some testing yesterday on course, place was empty so I played 3 balls (15x, 17x & v1) all the way thru. Both 17 versions are definitely longer than 15x and because I dont spin the longer clubs too much I preferred the X as it stayed in the air that extra bit.

Ive become used to the look to tee shots with the x, where it gets up and holds its place well with a sufficient amount of spin. ProV1 with driver would launch well then flatten out considerably so someone with plenty of speed (115+) might prefer it because they can keep it in the air long enough to take advantage of its flatter flight. Both spin around the greens so well the difference is negligible

Did some testing yesterday on course, place was empty so I played 3 balls (15x, 17x & v1) all the way thru. Both 17 versions are definitely longer than 15x and because I dont spin the longer clubs too much I preferred the X as it stayed in the air that extra bit.

Ive become used to the look to tee shots with the x, where it gets up and holds its place well with a sufficient amount of spin. ProV1 with driver would launch well then flatten out considerably so someone with plenty of speed (115+) might prefer it because they can keep it in the air long enough to take advantage of its flatter flight. Both spin around the greens so well the difference is negligible

Played 18 holes recently with the 17 X and it was noticeably longer than the 15 X for me. At least 10 yards. A few times more than that with 1 drive about 30 yards past where I normally hit it. Still have 4 dozen of the 15's left until I can start using the 17's regularly.

And, my wife (a high single digit handicapper) hit the 17 X for the first time Saturday and even she said pretty much said the same thing. She had several drives well past where she normally hit it including 1 dead into a pretty strong wind.

With both 2017 balls being almost equal, I feel the V1 still wonders off the target line more for me. The 2017 V1 cover seems to shred again like the 2013 models with the wedges. Not as bad but not as good as the 2015 balls.

Titleist Staff Stand Bag
Titleist -ProV1x,
Bushnell Tour Z6

With both 2017 balls being almost equal, I feel the V1 still wonders off the target line more for me. The 2017 V1 cover seems to shred again like the 2013 models with the wedges. Not as bad but not as good as the 2015 balls.

I've for sure noticed that the 17x is getting shredded more easily. I had to switch balls after nine holes the last round I played because shred was hanging off the cover. Didn't really ever have that problem with the 15x. I may go back to them.

Ping G400 LST Ping Tour Stiff 63
Callaway Epic Fash Sub Zero 15 Hzrdus Smoke 6.5
Titleist 818 H1 19 Evenflow Blue 6.5 85
Titleist T100s Black 4-PW Dynamic Gold AMT Tour White
Titleist SM8 52 Dynamic Gold S200
TM High Toe 58 KBS Hi Rev 115 Stiff
TM High Toe 64 KBS Hi Rev 115 Stiff
TM Spider X

Having played some more with the 17x, it for sure has worse durability compared to the 15x. When you hit an iron or wedge into the 15x, you would see groove marks on the ball, but you couldn't feel them when you rubbed the ball. The 17x, the grooves peel the cover off a little bit and you can feel the groove marks now. I can't go 9 holes with the 17x without having a major issue with the cover peeling from an iron shot. I could play 36 without that happening with the 15x. I won't be buying another dozen of the 17x.

Ping G400 LST Ping Tour Stiff 63
Callaway Epic Fash Sub Zero 15 Hzrdus Smoke 6.5
Titleist 818 H1 19 Evenflow Blue 6.5 85
Titleist T100s Black 4-PW Dynamic Gold AMT Tour White
Titleist SM8 52 Dynamic Gold S200
TM High Toe 58 KBS Hi Rev 115 Stiff
TM High Toe 64 KBS Hi Rev 115 Stiff
TM Spider X

Funny thing happened, I ordered the new ProV1x on the Titleist deal but they sent me regular prov1s. I put them in play and they are a really good ball and I may be switching. They didn't create all this distance like people say they get out of a new ball or anything, but the ball was very predictable and I scored well with it. I couldn't find anything I didn't like about it. I like it better than last version ProV1.

Typically a high launch high spin player who has played the "X" version of whatever tour ball I have played for a decade, XV, ProV1x, B330 etc. Put the '17 ProV1 in play this year and that's the ball I will be playing for the foreseeable future. It does well in the wind, seems to launch lower, spins less on full wedges while maintaining the short game control I need, I didn't lose any distance and it is amazing off the putter. May the V1x suit me better? Maybe but this ball performs well and I'm tired of always searching for the next best thing. There are too many other variables in golf, I'm trying to take all of my equipment out of that equation.

Stay Tuned...

Typically a high launch high spin player who has played the "X" version of whatever tour ball I have played for a decade, XV, ProV1x, B330 etc. Put the '17 ProV1 in play this year and that's the ball I will be playing for the foreseeable future. It does well in the wind, seems to launch lower, spins less on full wedges while maintaining the short game control I need, I didn't lose any distance and it is amazing off the putter. May the V1x suit me better? Maybe but this ball performs well and I'm tired of always searching for the next best thing. There are too many other variables in golf, I'm trying to take all of my equipment out of that equation.

Could not have said it better... Agree 100%!

Vokey Design SM9 Raw Wedges 'Voke' Handground 50.12F • 56.08M • 62.08M ~ Project X 6.0
Titleist Pro V1x ~ #12

Got a sleeve of each to try out for my maiden voyage this weekend. First world problems.....

Aerojet 10.5, turned to 9.5*-  Ventus Blue TR 6x
Cobra F9 3w - Atmos TS Blue 7x
T300 4i (19*) - UST Recoil 95 F4
Srixon 565/765 Combo 5-PW - Project X 5.5hs
SM5 50,54,58,62 - F,K,S Grinds - Rifle 6.0
Odyssey OTR putter
TP5x

I'm such a child....

Tit_Pers.jpg

I've got 48 of these!

I see no issues here... ;)

Titleist Pro V1x ~ #12

Just played my last practice round in my league with the 2017 Prov1x and Prov1. I was a long time 2015 Prov1x player and here are my impressions. The 2017 V1x launches too high and spins too much. Ball actually feels a bit harsh now compared to the 15 V1x. The decent angle off the driver just is not playable for me now since its coming in so steep with loads of spin. The cover is just Word not allowed and gets chewed up with wedges. Putts just fine, Full wedges are just loaded with spin and have a higher flight but half wedges come in low like a NXT Tour with hardly any spin. I have 2 sleeves of 2017 Prov1x that are going in the shag bag. The 2017 ProV1 just flat out amazed me. Softer feel and lower launch off the driver. I hit a high ball and the trajectory is high but flat and along with great carry I was getting a lot of roll out once the ball lands. Laser straight which I found odd comparing it to prior generations of the ProV1 which had a lot of side spin for me. Approach shots off my AP2's with the Tour V shafts are just majestic, high rounded piercing flight and the ball just one hops and stops all the way down to my 6 iron. Full wedges have about half the stopping power as the Prov1x but still every ball was within a foot or two of its pitch mark. Chip shots seem to have the perfect amount of spin to bite then release and I had 1 chip-in and 2 other pitches that gave me tap ins. Steller around the green. Putting the ProV1 has always been my favorite part of the prior generations even though the ball didn't suit another part of my game. That all has changed now with the 2017 V1 model. For me the V1 was longer then the 15x ball and just easier to play with tons of feel. Its staying in the bag now.

Titleist Staff Stand Bag
Titleist -ProV1x,
Bushnell Tour Z6

Just played my last practice round in my league with the 2017 Prov1x and Prov1. I was a long time 2015 Prov1x player and here are my impressions. The 2017 V1x launches too high and spins too much. Ball actually feels a bit harsh now compared to the 15 V1x. The decent angle off the driver just is not playable for me now since its coming in so steep with loads of spin. The cover is just Word not allowed and gets chewed up with wedges. Putts just fine, Full wedges are just loaded with spin and have a higher flight but half wedges come in low like a NXT Tour with hardly any spin. I have 2 sleeves of 2017 Prov1x that are going in the shag bag. The 2017 ProV1 just flat out amazed me. Softer feel and lower launch off the driver. I hit a high ball and the trajectory is high but flat and along with great carry I was getting a lot of roll out once the ball lands. Laser straight which I found odd comparing it to prior generations of the ProV1 which had a lot of side spin for me. Approach shots off my AP2's with the Tour V shafts are just majestic, high rounded piercing flight and the ball just one hops and stops all the way down to my 6 iron. Full wedges have about half the stopping power as the Prov1x but still every ball was within a foot or two of its pitch mark. Chip shots seem to have the perfect amount of spin to bite then release and I had 1 chip-in and 2 other pitches that gave me tap ins. Steller around the green. Putting the ProV1 has always been my favorite part of the prior generations even though the ball didn't suit another part of my game. That all has changed now with the 2017 V1 model. For me the V1 was longer then the 15x ball and just easier to play with tons of feel. Its staying in the bag now.

Wow... this is the perfect summary of what I have found and have been writing about here for months... fun to read someone has seen the EXACT same thing as me.

Enjoy your new gamer, Hondabuff... I know I am!

Titleist Pro V1x ~ #12

I posted in another thread - I really thought the new 2017 v1 was going to be my gamer, but the 1x still performs better for me. Longer T to green for me. Driver especially. Feel goes to the v1, but the 1x is just the better performer.

Odyssey OTR putter
TP5x

I posted in another thread - I really thought the new 2017 v1 was going to be my gamer, but the 1x still performs better for me. Longer T to green for me. Driver especially. Feel goes to the v1, but the 1x is just the better performer.

Nothing better than finding the ball that works best for your game!

We are fortunate to have so many outstanding options available to folks with golf "issues." ;)

Titleist Pro V1x ~ #12

Nothing better than finding the ball that works best for your game!

We are fortunate to have so many outstanding options available to folks with golf "issues." ;)

Yup. My lone round testing was in some serious wind here in Ohio. Both the v1 and 1x performed great in the wind, but the 1x held its line better while the 1v would get moved off target in cross winds. The 1x launched a tad higher to my eye, but nothing drastic. Could tell the 1x was spinning less as the carry and roll was longer. I create tons of spin with my shots all by myself - so I dont need it (spin). The 1x was longer into the wind and with the wind. The v1 does like to dance off my wedges, fun to watch...the 1x would hit and bite, but didnt dance like the regular v1. Buy 3 get 1 1x have been ordered.

G-thanks for all of your testing and information. Well done you.

Odyssey OTR putter
TP5x

I wonder how the new Pro V1 would compare to Chromesoft ? They both sound very similar. Can't wait to compare!

The new ProV1 sounds similar to the Chromesoft X in that it is lower flight and has a 90 compression. But, the Cs-X is said to be a "higher-spin" ball.

Gonna be fun doing some testing

Higher spin compared to the very low compression Chrome Soft.

Re: durability

played 18 yesterday with one ball (V1) and i could put it back in play next round. i have new SM6s as well.

I agree. I played the whole round with 1 v1 and 1 1x and both went right back into the pouch ready to play again. No issues with durability for me. Same experience as the 2015 1x for me. These are just durable golf balls for me. I have sm5 wedges that are still sharp.

Odyssey OTR putter
TP5x

Lots of good information in this thread, but I'm still a little confused. This is my understanding:

17 ProV1 - Lower driver spin and longer driver distance from previous models. Lower trajectory on all shots. Lower compression and softer feel on all shots. Higher spin on partial chips and pitches.

17 ProV1X - Low driver spin with higher launch than V1. Still the longest ProV version off the tee. Higher trajectory on all shots with more spin on full irons and wedges. Firm feel on all shots. Lower spin on partial chips and pitches.

Does this sound right or am I completely wrong? I have always played the X version because of the excessive driver spin on previous V1 versions, but I much prefer the feel of the V1 and the lower iron spin.

Thanks to Costco the ball makers are giving out some good deals, even ProV's buy 3 get one free.....did Costco scare these guys....

LMAO... wow ... titleist always runs this deal... they did before the Ksig, and will much after the ksig is a repainted top flight overun languishing on the costco shelf...

The Ksig effect talk is getting out of control.

I always come back to the math on the Ksig ad other value balls. I go through .66 balls per round on average before I lose them or they are too damaged. (I play them for about 27 holes). I buy my prov1's on the 4 for 3 deal. so about $3.50 a ball or $2.31 per round. The Ksig are $25 per dozen or for me or about $1.40 a ball. To save a $1 a round I not going to decide on the ball I want to play on price. I am going to pick the ball I want regardless of price.

I'm such a child....

Tit_Pers.jpg

I've got 48 of these!

Clever.