New $500 Flightscope personal launch monitor (MERGED)

This device might just be enough to return my newly purchased Skytrak. Dont get me wrong, the Skytrak is an amazing tool. What appeals to me about the MEVO Is ease of usage outdoors in comparison to the skytrak, or so it appears. I will be keeping my eye on this product as well as the Xi+. I have the ability to turn ownership of a unit of an Xi+ into a small businesss venture also.

The advancements in the industry are awesome lately!

TSi3 9° - Tensei Pro Orange 70TX  

TSi2 13.5° - Tensei Pro White 80TX 

TSi2 18° - Tensei Pro White 80TX

718 TMB 3 - Tensei Pro White 100TX

T100 4-GW - MMT 125TX

SM8 54° & 58° - MMT 125TX

Odyssey Big-T Blade                                                  

ProV1X                                                                  

The ad implies vert launch is measured

I hope you're right, but it's listed along with Smash and Carry, both of which are calculated.

[size=3][color=#000000][b]Cobra [/b][/color][color=#808080]King F8+[/color] [color=#000000][i]Driver 10.5* [/i] | Matrix 65M4 Black Tie S[/color]
[color=#000000][b]Cobra[/b] [/color][color=#808080]King F8[/color] [color=#000000][i]3/4w 14.5* [/i]| Aldila NV Blue 2KXV S[/color]
[color=#000000][b]Cobra [/b][/color][color=#808080]King F8 [/color][color=#000000][i]5/6w 17.5* [/i]| [/color][/size][color=#000000][size=3]Aldila NV Blue 2KXV S[/size][/color]
[size=3][color=#000000][b][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Cobra [/font][/b][/color][color=#808080][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]King F8[/font][/color] [color=#000000][i]4h 22*[/i] | Aldila Rogue Pro 75 S[/color][/size]
[size=3][color=#000000][b]Cobra [/b][/color][color=#808080]Bio Cell +[/color] [color=#000000][i]5i - Gw[/i] | [/color][/size][color=#000000][size=3]TT Dynalite Gold XP S300[/size][/color]
[size=3][color=#000000][b]Cobra [/b][/color][color=#808080]King WideLow[/color] [color=#000000][i]56* & 60* [/i]| TT Dynamic Gold S200[/color]
[color=#000000][b]Cleveland [/b][/color][color=#808080]TFi 2135 Satin Elevado CB[/color] [color=#000000][i]Putter [/i]| 35" Counterbalance[/color]
[color=#000000][b]Ogio [/b][/color][color=#696969]OZone Cart [/color]| [color=#000000][b]Ogio [/b][/color][color=#696969]Shredder Stand[/color][/size][color=#696969][size=3] [/size][/color][size=3]| [/size][color=#000000][size=3][b]Orlimar [/b][/size][/color][color=#696969][size=3]Pitch & Putt Stand[/size][/color]

Does anyone know whether or not this product will simulate ball flight? I was looking into skytrak but heard some bad things about it, so I am reconsidering, but I want something to be in my garage so I can practice during the occasional rain here in Cali. Any suggestions for an indoor simulator that won't break the bank?

No it won't cos it won't measure spin axis or start direction (both which you need). Very much a launch monitor for outside when you can see the ball flight

Does anyone know whether or not this product will simulate ball flight? I was looking into skytrak but heard some bad things about it, so I am reconsidering, but I want something to be in my garage so I can practice during the occasional rain here in Cali. Any suggestions for an indoor simulator that won't break the bank?

It shows spin but doesn't measure it. Big difference. An estimate from the club you're hitting

I'd love to see a comparison between this and the ES14 Pro. Same price range. ES14 Pro measures spin and doesn't require the metallic dots, so that could save money in the long run I suppose.

I have seen mixed reveiws on the ES14 Pro though, so maybe this will be more accurate and thus more worth it. A personal launch monitor in this price range is something I'd really like to add to my practice.

Sorry, but this is how misinformation gets spread. The ES14 DOES NOT measure spin, in no way shape or form.

According to this link, it does: www.ernestsports.com/es14-pro.html

I don't understand why vertical launch wouldn't be measured and spin would be. Fs has Tec to do both and don't think they'd do one and not other, especially as launch is so critical for an accurate carry calculation

The ad implies vert launch is measured

I hope you're right, but it's listed along with Smash and Carry, both of which are calculated.

Give it some time, a modern trackman or Gc2 hmt will be available for $1000...as technology incteases and becomes more available more people will make these items and for lesser cost......it's simple economics.....

Remember the VCR...

More people coming into the field just drives prices down.....

This new device is prolly just as good if not better than store monitors and that's what most people use anyway...at least most of threads here are with numbers based on them......so whatever

Personally I just go and hit the club on course now....don't even hit it, but I swing differently on monitor and certainly don't trust most off em

You'd hope that as technology improves that your assumption that prices will come down is correct, however one caveat to that, is that if components are assembled and manufactured in the Far east, which they're likely to be, and there are heavy economic tariffs imposed by some countries on any part of that component manufacturing importation, then the export charges for those components coming from the Far east to service and supply those machines, will be exponentially high, which in turn will affect the pricing structures in an upward direction, so equalizing the effects of technology advances.

Not being political here, just an economic observation.

I think at this point the biggest cost factor is software and patent restrictions. What would be interesting is a subscription type service where you can buy the unit with basic features for cheap, but then lets say for 1 month (or even 1 day) you want all the data points like AoA, shaft plane, face angle, etc. all the stuff the high end flight scope and trackman have, you pay like 100 bucks for the 30 days or whatever. Or in the winter maybe you want to play indoor sim golf, you pay x$ a month and have the course software and necessary data points. I think that would get a lot more people into the market while not making the pro market feel like they're getting the shaft.

As hardware gets cheaper and cheaper most tech companies are transitioning to this software model approach.

Great idea. Agree that that will probably be the future

I think at this point the biggest cost factor is software and patent restrictions. What would be interesting is a subscription type service where you can buy the unit with basic features for cheap, but then lets say for 1 month (or even 1 day) you want all the data points like AoA, shaft plane, face angle, etc. all the stuff the high end flight scope and trackman have, you pay like 100 bucks for the 30 days or whatever. Or in the winter maybe you want to play indoor sim golf, you pay x$ a month and have the course software and necessary data points. I think that would get a lot more people into the market while not making the pro market feel like they're getting the shaft.

As hardware gets cheaper and cheaper most tech companies are transitioning to this software model approach.

If your looking for a launch monitor to simulate ball flight your looking into a completely different category and price range with the exception of skytrak. I have my reservations on how dependable the skytrack data is and it is a complete pain in the A#S to use outdoors on the range because you have to place your ball on the laser mark (in front of the unit/ impact position) which is in the exact same position every time which blows for anything not being struck off a tee. The best units are ones that can be set up behind you because it gives you freedom to move your ball within a fairly generous window while practicing, The best bang for you buck in the simulation market would be either the FlightScope Xi or looking into the new ES16 Tour from Earnest but those will run you anywhere from 3-6K. You could possibly find a Foresight GC2 for a good price since they are about 5 years old now, but again its a unit that reads ball data from the impact position so practicing outdoors with this unit can be a pain.

Hope that helps.

"Take er' deep"

FlightScope has a pretty stellar reputation so I doubt they would sacrifice there brand by releasing a product in this price range unless it was extremely good. This is exactly what I am looking for...dial in distances, spin and swing video all with one unit for those long Canadian winters.

"Take er' deep"

Its way to many speculations about what this unit can or can not do or how it works, but thats understandable since Flighstcope dont tell much about it on their home page, but as a user of Trackman for 7 years i have a pretty good idea of what this is.

Its a radar based system, that means it has the capability to measure

- Club speed

- Ball speed

- Launch angle

Smash factor is simply Ball speed / club speed, so that has always been calculated on all units.

And since the unit is small and cheap, its most likely a short range radar, that means its only capable of measure launch conditions, it does most likely NOT measure the hole flight, so Carry is based on launch numbers and their own algorithm we are familiar with from their online tool.

I say that because they type the metal stickers on the ball is needed to measure spin correct, and thats the same we have to do INDOOR when we use Trackman or Flightsope, and thats why im thinking its a short range radar.

Dont forget that a typical drive has a spin of 2400 rpms and a flight time of 6-7 second, so the ball only have about 240 -280 revolutions during the hole flight, so to be able to give a spin number based on the first 6 -10 yards, it needs this metal stickers to make it.

That means it will most likely not give "correct" carry number, it will be due to a algorithm since i think it does not measure the hole flight, so carry numbers might show the same no matter wind conditions, but i still think a unit like this is very good for the price.

Lets wait and see what more info they offer, but this is how i think this unit works based on the very little info given.

DO NOT SEND PMs WITH CLUB TECH QUESTIONS - USE THE PUBLIC FORUM.

Lets wait and see what more info they offer, but this is how i think this unit works based on the very little info given.

+1 on both the above sentiment and the tech eval.

$500 for a portable device that accurately measures clubhead & ball speed and LA through the bag would be worth every penny. The additional spin reading (using reflectors) would make for a good low-entry DIY training and fitting tool. All depending on technical implementation and the algorithms used.

It'll be interesting to see if it can track the ball until it lands (doubt it).

If not, I can see why spin dots are needed, whether your outdoor or indoor.

Lots of things doppler radars report are drawn from the entire flight of the ball vs their collision model.

Well see, I guess.

If it measures azimuth too, but doesn't report it, it would be pretty good at estimating shot shape too. I suppose it's need to grab some Club path and aoa info too to be more accurate on the spin axis calc. It probably will guess.

I'm guessing it doesn't measure that stuff, it won't show shot shape or any kind of profile/overhead ball flight. And it'll literally just be a view of your swing, overlaid with the measured/calculated info contained on their promotional page.

Made for using outdoors probably, but then the stickers would be terrible. And if you don't use stickers, total spin would be just guessed.

As an current Xi owner, I will be more than a little ticked off, if this gives reasonably accurate launch angle and spin data, something that currently requires me to double my investment. Hopefully Flightscope will offer a more cost effective upgrade to gain these data points when this product is released.

I will be keeping an eye on this product.

Don't you have a special app?

Agree exactly Howard. FS measures spin in outdoor mode and no need for stickers. There's no way the radar will see the whole flight and it will be based on an algorithm on the 3 parameters. In the same way gc2 does

Cos its FS I think it will be pretty accurate

Think it's a very exciting exciting addition to the launch monitor market and completely blows the low end monitors that only measure ballspeed out of the water as well as providing some very good competition for Skytrak and gc2 (both of which will be king indoors but more cumbersome to set up outside)

Its way to many speculations about what this unit can or can not do or how it works, but thats understandable since Flighstcope dont tell much about it on their home page, but as a user of Trackman for 7 years i have a pretty good idea of what this is.

- Club speed

- Ball speed

- Launch angle

Smash factor is simply Ball speed / club speed, so that has always been calculated on all units.

And since the unit is small and cheap, its most likely a short range radar, that means its only capable of measure launch conditions, it does most likely NOT measure the hole flight, so Carry is based on launch numbers and their own algorithm we are familiar with from their online tool.

I say that because they type the metal stickers on the ball is needed to measure spin correct, and thats the same we have to do INDOOR when we use Trackman or Flightsope, and thats why im thinking its a short range radar.

Dont forget that a typical drive has a spin of 2400 rpms and a flight time of 6-7 second, so the ball only have about 240 -280 revolutions during the hole flight, so to be able to give a spin number based on the first 6 -10 yards, it needs this metal stickers to make it.

That means it will most likely not give "correct" carry number, it will be due to a algorithm since i think it does not measure the hole flight, so carry numbers might show the same no matter wind conditions, but i still think a unit like this is very good for the price.

Will be fine for metallic sticker ing your practice balls but less so at range. Looks mega easy to take out on course and do some testing there, this will really enhance course management skills I think

The spin axis measurement will be done with your eyes!

Not good for indoor unless you have a pretty good idea of your shot shape

It'll be interesting to see if it can track the ball until it lands (doubt it).

If not, I can see why spin dots are needed, whether your outdoor or indoor.

Lots of things doppler radars report are drawn from the entire flight of the ball vs their collision model.

Well see, I guess.

If it measures azimuth too, but doesn't report it, it would be pretty good at estimating shot shape too. I suppose it's need to grab some Club path and aoa info too to be more accurate on the spin axis calc. It probably will guess.

I'm guessing it doesn't measure that stuff, it won't show shot shape or any kind of profile/overhead ball flight. And it'll literally just be a view of your swing, overlaid with the measured/calculated info contained on their promotional page.

Made for using outdoors probably, but then the stickers would be terrible. And if you don't use stickers, total spin would be just guessed.

What LM do you use now Howard?

- Club speed

- Ball speed

- Launch angle

- Club speed

- Ball speed

- Launch angle

Trackman. For 7 years. In the first paragraph of quoted post. Facepalm

If we do have full measurement of Ball Speed, Club Speed, Launch Angle, and Spin (with stickers) and the Spin numbers are taken into account in the calculations when known, then I think it's possible that the calculated carry could be calculated as well as most indoor methods which would be fine by me in a basic garage sim setup. I'd buy such a device over SkyTrak for the savings and either be content without the simulator aspect, or use it in conjunction with OptiShot for crude visualization (eye candy) and swing path data.

[size=3][color=#000000][b]Cobra [/b][/color][color=#808080]King F8+[/color] [color=#000000][i]Driver 10.5* [/i] | Matrix 65M4 Black Tie S[/color]
[color=#000000][b]Cobra[/b] [/color][color=#808080]King F8[/color] [color=#000000][i]3/4w 14.5* [/i]| Aldila NV Blue 2KXV S[/color]
[color=#000000][b]Cobra [/b][/color][color=#808080]King F8 [/color][color=#000000][i]5/6w 17.5* [/i]| [/color][/size][color=#000000][size=3]Aldila NV Blue 2KXV S[/size][/color]
[size=3][color=#000000][b][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Cobra [/font][/b][/color][color=#808080][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]King F8[/font][/color] [color=#000000][i]4h 22*[/i] | Aldila Rogue Pro 75 S[/color][/size]
[size=3][color=#000000][b]Cobra [/b][/color][color=#808080]Bio Cell +[/color] [color=#000000][i]5i - Gw[/i] | [/color][/size][color=#000000][size=3]TT Dynalite Gold XP S300[/size][/color]
[size=3][color=#000000][b]Cobra [/b][/color][color=#808080]King WideLow[/color] [color=#000000][i]56* & 60* [/i]| TT Dynamic Gold S200[/color]
[color=#000000][b]Cleveland [/b][/color][color=#808080]TFi 2135 Satin Elevado CB[/color] [color=#000000][i]Putter [/i]| 35" Counterbalance[/color]
[color=#000000][b]Ogio [/b][/color][color=#696969]OZone Cart [/color]| [color=#000000][b]Ogio [/b][/color][color=#696969]Shredder Stand[/color][/size][color=#696969][size=3] [/size][/color][size=3]| [/size][color=#000000][size=3][b]Orlimar [/b][/size][/color][color=#696969][size=3]Pitch & Putt Stand[/size][/color]

Yeah didn't realise was still using it as such an advocate of strike thought might might have gone to to HMT

- Club speed

- Ball speed

- Launch angle

Trackman. For 7 years. In the first paragraph of quoted post. Facepalm

I would agree, luckily I don't have much invested in mine... letting Optishot give some feedback on club path, face angle, and give some eye candy whie letting the Mevo give the ball info would work for me, mostly because I already have the Opti setup.